PDA

View Full Version : Gaither in the Supplemental Draft

DraftMichaelHuff
05-23-2007, 02:42 AM
Wow, what a big story, im still not sure if its true or not and would welcome the locking of this thread if it isnt but if Jarrod Gaither enters the supplemental draft this year i love us to make a play at him.

Id give up one of our 2nd rounders for a guy who will more than likley go top 10 next year. Imagine Blaylock next to Gaither and still having a 1st and 2nd rounder in 08

scar988
05-23-2007, 03:09 AM
I would love for us to be lucky and get him with a 3rd but if he goes supplemental, I doubt we get him at all... but just imagine that left side if we get him... sure they will be rookies but the left side will be together for a long time. imagine the line in 2008 or 2009 when Datish takes over for McClure and if we get a guy like Cherilus in 2008:

LT - Jared Gaither - 6'9" 345
LG - Justin Blalock - 6'3" 320
C - Doug Datish - 6'4" 305
RG - Kynan Forney 6'3" 310
RT - Gosder Cherilus - 6'7" 320

the supplemental draft is like an auction.

D-Rod
05-23-2007, 03:13 AM
Well, he's got top-10 potential, but he's never really performed on the field. Add in the academic problems which are sending him to the supplemental draft - which could limit his ability to understand schemes and blitz-pickup - and there are a lot of concerns as to whether he'll ever live up to his potential. Also, he's really more of a RT than LT, though that's not such a big problem for us.

That said, the advantage of getting him in the supp draft is that we'd have a whole year to work on his technique with pro-level coaching, such that he'd be ready to start in 2008. Or, if he doesn't work at LT, he'd probably make a killer RT to replace Weiner in 2009.

I'd send up a 3rd, but I just think a 2nd is too valuable to surrender a year early on a guy with so many question marks. I'd actually expect him to still be available in the 3rd - but perhaps not at our 3rd.

iloxygenil
05-23-2007, 08:35 AM
He has yet to allow a sack in a game...that's pretty much performing on the field as far as I am concerned.

Chris30277
05-23-2007, 10:38 AM
I would absolutely love to get Gaither, and then use a pick next year on another OT. I think before is all said and done Gaither will be a RT, but he would be a great player to get and develop for a year.

d34ng3l021
05-23-2007, 10:43 AM
We should definetly take a run at him. And who knows how high he is going to go...Ahmad Brooks was top10 talent and went in the 3rd.

Chris30277
05-23-2007, 10:47 AM
We should definetly take a run at him. And who knows how high he is going to go...Ahmad Brooks was top10 talent and went in the 3rd.

thats why I wouldn't use a 2nd to get Gaither. Right now I don't think he is top 10 talent. So why give up more for him. I would give up a 3rd or 4th for him.

d34ng3l021
05-23-2007, 10:55 AM
I say we give up a 3rd no matter what and see what happens. We will most likely get another 3rd round pick for the compensation of Patrick Kerney leaving us...If our 3rd round pick isnt good enough, then I am not sure what to do.

iloxygenil
05-23-2007, 12:13 PM
I think 3rd would be fine, but anything higher than that I would be PISSED about. I like him, but I don't want to mortgage what kind of talent will be there in the 2nd.

Shiver
05-23-2007, 12:54 PM
I would give him a shot, learn, and eventually replace Weiner at RT.

DraftMichaelHuff
05-24-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm getting pretty pumped with the news of this! It seems that the rumour actually has truth behind it.

I would have no exitement if we were still in the Mora era as i always had the feeling they were too afriad to take some risks but with Petrino at the helm i think there is definatly a chance we have a good look at Gaither, for a 3rd or even a 2nd rounder.

While our 2nd rounder might seem steep, for weeks now we have been talking about Gaither being a guy we would go after with our 1st rounder next year, imagine getting him now, giving him and extra year (probably on the practise squad) to learn what the NFL is like, get himself physically and mentally ready and allowing him to refine his technique and then start next year (08) and be a beast and probably the only OT in the NFL to be able to physically match it with Juluis Peppers, as opposed to drafting him in 08 like most of us (myself included) wanted, where we would most likely have to use a 1st rounder and he would still have to sit in 08 and not start to 09.

All this and we would still have a pick in each round (thanks texans!) and boast the best OG in the 07 draft (although we got him in the 2nd round) who didnt give up a sack in college and now also have a guy with Orlando Pace potential, in Gaither, in the 2nd round, who also hasnt yet given up a sack in college. I could see both guys becoming the cornerstones of the Falcons O Line for the next 12 years.

All this in addition to a guy who was thought, in some circles, to be the best CB in the class, in Houston who we also drafted in the 2nd round

Also, does anyone know if Maryland played Louisville this past year in college ball and if Gaither played. After we drafted Nicholas mainly because of the way he terrorised Petrino in college i wonder if Gaither did something similiar and perhaps left a similiar lasting impression

ATLDirtyBirds
05-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Yeah, we need to pounce on this opportunity.

d34ng3l021
05-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Actually. I really DONT want to give up a 2nd round pick. I am down if its a 3rd round pick, but 2nd is way too high.