PDA

View Full Version : And the Oakland Raider's sign....

portermvp84
05-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Former Viking/Raven Travis Taylor. I new we weren't sure whose was going to be our 2nd or 3rd. I wanted Keyshane Johnson, but the upside with Taylor is he's younger and more durible.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/OAK/10192715

locseti
05-23-2007, 03:30 PM
This is great news, we signed him for the league minimum and he was productive last year. And hopefully this means we will finally cut Whitted.

Porter
Curry
BMW
Johnnie Lee Higgins
Gabriel
Taylor
Morant
Francis

Whitted

Stash
05-23-2007, 09:16 PM
I don't know if anyone noticed in that article but we also signed a RB. Probably won't last through training camp, but what caught my eye is that he had 62 receptions last season which is quite a bit for a college RB.

LionSmack
05-24-2007, 10:33 AM
I found this tidbit very interesting

He is expected to compete for playing time behind Porter and Curry amongst a crowded receiving corps that includes Doug Gabriel, Alvis Whitted, Johnnie Morant, Carlos Francis and Johnathan Holland.

What name is missing from that list? hmmm

nobodyinparticular
05-24-2007, 01:38 PM

The guy that is injured perhaps? What are you doing here? Do you actually have anything productive to add?

locseti
05-24-2007, 03:11 PM

Ya, Johnny Lee Higgins.

SubNoize
05-24-2007, 03:19 PM
He's Talking about Mike Williams, but the list leaves off many WRs on the current roster, it's not like that person had personal insight into our final roster. Mike Williams will def. have competition for playing time with Taylor and Curry being established players in the league. Does that mean we're going to cut a guy because he's not mentioned in an article? No. I think Taylor was a great addition, and statistically he's our most "proven" receiver. I'm interested to see the final outcome, if Williams does get cut, no biggie, we spent a 4th rounder on him that we got from a trade, so no loss really. Same with Taylor, we paid him the vets min. and gave no gauranteed money. We've played this offseason really smart, we have a lot of guys that we got for cheap that still have major potential to make an impact in this league.

locseti
05-24-2007, 03:33 PM
He's Talking about Mike Williams

Ya, that went without saying. I was making the point that the list leaves off other receivers, such as JLH. his feeble attempt to gloat fell far short of his intended target.

LitoSheppard
05-24-2007, 04:08 PM
want to use cred and rep please.

Sharp21
05-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Hopefully Whitted is gone. I was hoping Will Buchanon could make the team but it looks like thats not probable at this point.

Stash
05-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Right now we have a lot of quality WR's and some other guys with the potential to be good so it will be intersting to see who makes the cut. How many WR's do you guys think will be on our active roster at the start of the season?

bernbabybern820
05-25-2007, 10:09 AM
Right now we have a lot of quality WR's and some other guys with the potential to be good so it will be intersting to see who makes the cut. How many WR's do you guys think will be on our active roster at the start of the season?

Im guessing it would be 6.

LionSmack
05-25-2007, 11:39 AM
I wasn't attempting to gloat at all. Sorry you guys took it that way

I also realize that if Mike Williams ends up washing out with you, it's no big loss, especially since McCown looks like he will start for at least a while and the fourth-rounder you gave up will prove to be decent value.

I guess I was just trying to stimulate conversation on the Oakland viewpoint of Williams, I probably should have realized there's nothing to have a viewpoint on yet since he strained his uterus (sorry, cheap shot, my bad) in the first practice.

SubNoize
05-25-2007, 05:01 PM
Well as stated in an article, before he was injured in practice he was showing off his hands pretty well, a hamstring is nothing if you don't rush it and theses things happen, Curry has pulled his now as well. Williams will have ample time to prove what he needs to, it's possible he may win the #2 spot if he works hard enough for Kiffin. He's definitely got some competition w/ the Taylor addition as they both are flankers though.

raidersfanxxx
05-25-2007, 06:55 PM
yeah, this is nothing to worry about. better now then later.

raiderfan_89
05-26-2007, 06:13 PM
he'll have to fight for a job in oakland.

Raiderz4Life
05-26-2007, 07:22 PM
what are the chances we go into a
Spread Offense...just for JR? lol

portermvp84
05-29-2007, 11:37 PM
IMO he'll make the cut, Alvis Whitted sucks the big one. Taylor has proven he can do some damage.

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-30-2007, 12:04 AM
I think Whitted is gone now that we have Higgins.A young speedster who can catch.That beats Whitted whos a track star and cant catch.

portermvp84
06-01-2007, 01:17 PM
The only thing I'm worried about is isn't Whitted one of Al's pets? If he is he's not gonna get rid of him.

doingthisinsteadofwork
06-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Im saying Higgins is a better overall reciever is faster and younger.Regardless of wether or not Whitted is one of Als favorites I think he gets cut.

Stash
06-01-2007, 09:37 PM
I hope Whitted gets cut, but I have the same suspicion that portermvp has. For some reason unknown to me Big Al keeps guys like him around.

portermvp84
06-04-2007, 12:19 AM
He did he kept James Jett and Tim Brown there since the dinosaurs have been around. And he will do the same with Whitted probably until he retires.

RaiderDude
06-04-2007, 09:03 AM
Oakland will keep 6 WR's

Porter
Curry
BMW
Johnnie Lee Higgins
Taylor

I see Holland going to the practice squad

The 6th spot will be between Gabriel or Morant

My money says its Gabriel

doingthisinsteadofwork
06-04-2007, 06:54 PM
hopefully Gabriel. Morant can get open catch get yac well but then fumbles the ball.

portermvp84
06-04-2007, 11:32 PM
I kinda want to see Will Buchanon show something this preseason so he can make the active roster.

TheChampIsHere
06-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Raiders also just signed Colin Branch, he should be a good backup safety and special teamer for us.

SubNoize
06-09-2007, 06:26 PM
I don't think he'll make the squad, we already have our special teamer and backup in Cooper, and probably Frampton.