PDA

View Full Version : Dwayne Bowe or Craig Davis

kmartin575
05-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Who is the better LSU WR?

Shiver
05-23-2007, 01:53 PM
I think Davis will be the better pro, actually. Bowe looks the part, but I don't think he has good enough hands to truly excel.

Moses
05-23-2007, 01:58 PM
My money is on D-Bowe. He has all the tools and looks like he could evolve into a great all-around receiver. Very low bust-factor in my opinion.

kmartin575
05-23-2007, 02:00 PM
I think Davis will be the better pro, actually. Bowe looks the part, but I don't think he has good enough hands to truly excel.

I understand the questionable hands.

My thought process though is that Terrell Owens doesn't have the greatest hands in the world either yet he is by far one of the leagues best receivers and besides his off the field issues he brings more good to the team than bad.

On a side note, Bowe has been compared to Terrell Owens. Both are about the same size (Owens is about 1" taller) and both have similar speed.

bennybee38
05-23-2007, 02:02 PM
bowe isnt as dangerous after the catch as owens. not close

kmartin575
05-23-2007, 02:04 PM
bowe isnt as dangerous after the catch as owens. not close

I would definitely question that. Watch his highlight video on youtube. He had quite a few long runs after the catch.

It should be noted that Bowe is probably a better prospect coming out of college. Owens was a 3rd round pick so he obviously wasn't that highly regarded coming out of college. None of that really matters now but I think Bowe can certainly live up to the comparison to Owens.

Moses
05-23-2007, 02:08 PM
I would definitely question that. Watch his highlight video on youtube. He had quite a few long runs after the catch.

It should be noted that Bowe is probably a better prospect coming out of college. Owens was a 3rd round pick so he obviously wasn't that highly regarded coming out of college. None of that really matters now but I think Bowe can certainly live up to the comparison to Owens.

Talk about lofty expectations. Owens has 7 1000+ receiving yards years under his belt. He's been one of the greatest wide receivers in the league this decade.

Michigan
05-23-2007, 02:08 PM
bowe is a beast after the catch

kmartin575
05-23-2007, 02:13 PM
Talk about lofty expectations. Owens has 7 1000+ receiving yards years under his belt. He's been one of the greatest wide receivers in the league this decade.

You misunderstand me.

I am simply saying Bowe has a very similar skill set to Owens.

Bowe is going to be hard pressed to ever have the success Owens have.

However, Bowe was the more highly regarded prospect coming out of college.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Anyone who voted Davis is a Chargers fan.

kmartin575
05-23-2007, 02:20 PM

I would probably agree. I find it hilarious that no Chargers fan would say Davis is the better WR before the draft. However, now that they drafted Davis he has all of a sudden become the second best WR prospect in the draft after Calvin Johnson.

princefielder28
05-23-2007, 02:22 PM
It has to be Bowe

Shiver
05-23-2007, 02:31 PM
I understand the questionable hands.

My thought process though is that Terrell Owens doesn't have the greatest hands in the world either yet he is by far one of the leagues best receivers and besides his off the field issues he brings more good to the team than bad.

On a side note, Bowe has been compared to Terrell Owens. Both are about the same size (Owens is about 1" taller) and both have similar speed.

Craig Davis is the same size as Jerry Rice, thus that point is irrelevant. Every year, every player, is hyped as the "next coming of _____." I think Davis' hands are better, and he is in the better offense, so I think he will have a more productive career.

bennybee38
05-23-2007, 02:37 PM
dont get me wrong Bowe did good after the catch in college. hes not nearly as elusive or fast as Owens though...

Davis is much faster and is more of a vertical threat than Bowe and has more upside. and im not even a chargers fan sucka

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-23-2007, 02:41 PM
To me Craig Davis looks more like TO than Dwayne Bowe does.

LarryJohnson27
05-23-2007, 02:41 PM
dont get me wrong Bowe did good after the catch in college. hes not nearly as elusive or fast as Owens though...

Davis is much faster and is more of a vertical threat than Bowe and has more upside. and im not even a chargers fan sucka

Davis does not have more upside then Bowe. As for Owens, he ran in the 4.6's comming out of college, while Bowe was clocked in the 4.4's. So not only is Bowe "nearly as fast" as Owens, he's probablly faster.

D-Unit
05-23-2007, 02:53 PM
Craig Davis? Better than Dwayne Bowe??? C'mon now...

Davis is smaller, weaker, slower and I'll even say uglier. LOL. Watch Davis play... he has never caught a ball with his hands in his life. He basket catches all his passes with his body. He won't be any good until he changes that.

draftguru151
05-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Early Doucet.

Seriously though, I don't think Davis is anywhere near Bowe. I think the Chargers made a mistake in taking Davis just because he was a speed guy.

ATLDirtyBirds
05-23-2007, 03:38 PM
To me Craig Davis looks more like TO than Dwayne Bowe does.

How so? Davis is more of a speedy wideout, while Bowe is the guy who looks like a TE out there, and is just a machine other than the random case of the drops.

P-L
05-23-2007, 03:38 PM
I like Bowe more, but I really like both of them a lot.

Acreboy
05-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Early Doucet.(See Sig)

Seriously though, he'll be another round 1 WR. Could be the best LSU WR of the last 4 or 5 years.

OK, while at LSU the most consistent was Davis by a long shot.

Bowe has the more upside though. Better after the catch and can run block like i've never seen before.

While I like both A lot i'll go with Bowe. AND he can catch with his hands. He's no Xavier Carter or Bennie Brazil.

Craig Davis? Better than Dwayne Bowe??? C'mon now...

Davis is smaller, weaker, slower and I'll even say uglier. LOL. Watch Davis play... he has never caught a ball with his hands in his life. He basket catches all his passes with his body. He won't be any good until he changes that.Umn, wrong.

He's faster than Bowe. Don't let the combine times fool you.

Moses
05-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Best comparison for Dwayne Bowe is Michael Clayton. Very similar skillsets and playing styles.

Phrost
05-23-2007, 03:44 PM
One is a smashmouth blocker that will go across the middle, the other is a small, really fast, sideline hugger who was drafted WAY to high. Who do you think I voted for?

kmartin575
05-23-2007, 03:45 PM
(See Sig)

Umn, wrong.

He's faster than Bowe. Don't let the combine times fool you.

True, Davis is faster than Bowe.

But that is all he has going for him though, IMO.

If you look on paper sure they are similar prospects.

But Bowe is simply a bigger playmaker.

Acreboy
05-23-2007, 03:46 PM
One is a smashmouth blocker that will go across the middle, the other is a small, really fast, sideline hugger who was drafted WAY to high. Who do you think I voted for?
He was an early 2nd round talent. Only a small reach.

But Bowe is simply a bigger playmaker.True. It just pisses me off then people don't give Davis the props he deserves. The guy was a 1st round pick. I hate AJ Smith but the guy drafts good players and has very rarely has a bad draft.

Phrost
05-23-2007, 03:47 PM
He was an early 2nd round talent. Only a small reach.

Well, I saw him as a late second to early third meh.

San Diego Chicken
05-23-2007, 03:49 PM
I would probably agree. I find it hilarious that no Chargers fan would say Davis is the better WR before the draft. However, now that they drafted Davis he has all of a sudden become the second best WR prospect in the draft after Calvin Johnson.

If it's not even a question in your mind, why did you make this poll?

Anyway, Bowe is probably the better prospect. Comparing the two might not be fair to either, since Bowe is going to be expected to be KC's #1 fairly quickly... Davis is competing for the #2 with Eric Parker. From the minicamp reports it looks like Davis is fitting in well in that role, haven't heard anything about Bowe. I do like the fact that Davis is a year younger than Bowe, and he can return punts.

Acreboy
05-23-2007, 03:51 PM
If it's not even a question in your mind, why did you make this poll?

Anyway, Bowe is probably the better prospect. Comparing the two might not be fair to either, since Bowe is going to be expected to be KC's #1 fairly quickly... Davis is competing for the #2 with Eric Parker. From the minicamp reports it looks like Davis is fitting in well in that role, haven't heard anything about Bowe. I do like the fact that Davis is a year younger than Bowe, and he can return punts.He is a little raw in that department. His first career punt return came against Fresno State last year i believe.

brat316
05-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Bowie is going to be the next Hines Ward he is going to be better then Davis. Davis is good has speed but i see Bowie being better

Geo
05-23-2007, 04:35 PM
I take this to mean who will be the better pro. For example, as in 2001 when Miami Hurricanes receivers Santana Moss and Reggie Wayne entered the Draft, with Moss regarded as the better prospect and drafted at 16th overall (the Jets actually traded up 3 spots) while the Colts nabbed Wayne at 30th overall. Given the choice now, imo Wayne is the better pro and the guy who I would want on my team.

LSU: Dwayne Bowe/Craig Davis - Bowe was/is one of the my favorite prospects in the Draft, and should get a lion's share of looks in KC as the undoubted #1 receiver with an aging Tony G to boot, but I have serious reservations about an offense under Herm Edwards (the aforementioned Santana Moss suffered for it) as well as Brodie Croyle as my franchise quarterback in waiting. So I'll guess Davis who is going to an offense with enough weapons to prevent defenses from stopping him but not enough good receivers to prevent him from being productive.

Ohio State: Teddy Ginn/Anthony Gonzalez - Hmm, this was the toughest decision for me. I love Teddy Ginn and think he's undoubtedly the better prospect, but Gonzo has the benefit of landing in a perfect scenario for him to be productive in the short-term and long-term. I'll say Gonzo with the caveat that we haven't seen how successful Cam Cameron will be in reviving the Dolphins offense. If I could have added in hidden yardage in the return game, but the question specifically asked about receivers.

Southern Cal: Dwayne Jarrett/Steve Smith - A 2nd round pairing instead, but still applicable imo. And it's easily Steve Smith for me. I like him much more than Jarrett, and think by this time in two years we'll be talking about him as the true #1 receiver Eli Manning has had in his career. Great pick by them. Jarrett might work, although I'm not holding my breath. Whether he can separate, get off blocks, and run-block, we will see in the next few years.

Geo
05-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Early Doucet.

Seriously though, I don't think Davis is anywhere near Bowe. I think the Chargers made a mistake in taking Davis just because he was a speed guy.
If Doucet goes in the 1st round in 2008, that's three 1st round wide receivers that Russell got to work with. Yet somehow critics argued Quinn had a better supporting cast before the Draft. 'mmkay.

As for your other point, I'm not sure I was that surprised that the Chargers drafted Davis or that they drafted/graded him over Anthony Gonzalez. There seemed to be clear fluidity in the receiver rankings in that area, and I recall a number of posters on this site who similarly liked Davis that much (ex. putting him in their Top 5 in positional rankings).

SeanTaylorRIP
05-23-2007, 05:03 PM
I take this to mean who will be the better pro. For example, as in 2001 when Miami Hurricanes receivers Santana Moss and Reggie Wayne entered the Draft, with Moss regarded as the better prospect and drafted at 16th overall (the Jets actually traded up 3 spots) while the Colts nabbed Wayne at 30th overall. Given the choice now, imo Wayne is the better pro and the guy who I would want on my team.

It's all on situation, but Santana with Peyton, and Santana is an Allpro every year. If Santana can go 1500 yards and 9 TD's with a 85 year old Brunell just imagine what he would do as a 2nd option man coverage on the Colts with Manning.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-23-2007, 05:28 PM
There isn't any doubt that Craig Davis benefited from reduced defensive attention due to both Doucet and Bowe. When was the last time a college team's 3rd wideout went in the 1st round of a draft?

I've always been moderately impressed with what I saw from Craig Davis at LSU. He's got good explosion, makes sudden cuts, seems to accelerate well, runs solid routes, etc. However, the numbers of times he was left wide open in that offense cannot be ignored. We know he works well in space, but we have little idea how he works against physical corners and in double coverage.

We do know how Bowe works without space in coverage, and it is quite impressive. He's very physical, more so than Michael Clayton was coming out, and worked very well in double coverage last season. He has some questionable hands, but it appears to be more concentration than anything, as he made some very impressive catches in traffic last year. What he did last year after the catch also cannot be ignored, it was tremendous.

Right now, I have to say Bowe. He is much more of a known commodity, he's a more dominant athlete, and he's less likely to get shut down by NFL corners. He does have a not inconsequential bust factor, but I'd argue that Davis' is just as close.

Davis is going to post better numbers this year. Bowe is entering an rebuilding offense that isn't used to having a premier playmaker at wideout, while Davis is entering a offense where he is essentially the final piece.

Staubach12
05-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Dwayne Bowe fits the pro mold very well. He's big, physical, and strong. All those are quite important on the pro level. Not only that, but he's fast, runs fairly good routes and has good hands. The hands thing has been hotly debated. I beleive that the fact that he was almost legally blind before he got lasik (before his senior season) gives him a bit more leeway. It also appears that the lasic helped. His hands improved quite a bit this past season, and he really became a complete receiver. Craig Davis is another big, physical receiver. He's got good hands, and so-so routes. His speed is what seperates him from others. His skillset gives him a lot of potential, while Bowe is more ploished. However, I still think Bowe does have lots of potential. I see him developing into a Terrell Owens mold with the Chiefs. Craig Davis will be in the better offense. Both will have success, but in the end, Bowe will be the better pro.

bored of education
05-23-2007, 07:35 PM
I just think the problem with Bowe was mainly concentration. His dropped balls remind me of someone catchin a fly ball taking eye off it a split second to see how close to the fence is or how many steps from the warning track he is.

Acreboy
05-23-2007, 07:42 PM
If Doucet goes in the 1st round in 2008, that's three 1st round wide receivers that Russell got to work with. Yet somehow critics argued Quinn had a better supporting cast before the Draft. 'mmkay.

I don't think 1 person argued that..

As for your other point, I'm not sure I was that surprised that the Chargers drafted Davis or that they drafted/graded him over Anthony Gonzalez. There seemed to be clear fluidity in the receiver rankings in that area, and I recall a number of posters on this site who similarly liked Davis that much (ex. putting him in their Top 5 in positional rankings).
You are right.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-23-2007, 07:48 PM
How so? Davis is more of a speedy wideout, while Bowe is the guy who looks like a TE out there, and is just a machine other than the random case of the drops.

Davis isn't more of a speedy wideout. People are overrated his speed too much, and underrated his pass catching ability, route running, YAC ability. He can run across the middle too. TO does just about as much "Body Catching" as he does as well.

brat316
05-23-2007, 08:19 PM
anyone think that Jeff Samardejh might be a supplement draft pick like the last pick in the 7th round, just to see if he might wonder on over for the hell of it

CC.SD
05-23-2007, 09:50 PM
Dwayne Bowe=T.O.? He's got a lot to prove on the field before any sort of comparison like that.

Davis won't have a whole lot of responsibility in the Charger offense; he's there to stretch the field so other D's won't be able to focus all their attention on LT and Gates.

The kid has good size and great speed, and he'll be matched up against nickelbacks for the most part. Not a bad situation at all.

JK17
05-23-2007, 09:57 PM

Yeah, that's what all Charger fans are saying, that Craig Davis is second best WR prospect....

I think the majority of Chargers fans know that Bowe is the better WR....not neccesarily a better fit for the Bolts offense though, and that is probably where the support for Davis kicks in over Bowe. I'd rather have Davis on the Chargers then Bowe because he is a better fit for what we needed, IMO. But no one thinks that he is the 2nd best WR in the draft, thats a stupid generalization you just made on something no one even said.

Bowe is the better WR, at least as an all-around prospect, but its not ridiculous to think Davis may be in a better position to succeed right away, in a much stronger, balanced offense.

EDIT: Also, I just noticed you actaully started the thread....if you think its not even a debate, why bother, except to now glorify a new KC Chief (something you find hilarious that SD fans do for Davis), and try to catch some homer SD fans?

P-L
05-23-2007, 11:15 PM
Well, I saw him as a late second to early third meh.
Just different opinions. Both toonster and myself, along with a few others, felt he was the 5th best WR in this draft, and that's where he was drafted.

CC.SD
05-24-2007, 02:02 AM
EDIT: Also, I just noticed you actaully started the thread....if you think its not even a debate, why bother, except to now glorify a new KC Chief (something you find hilarious that SD fans do for Davis), and try to catch some homer SD fans?

Yah, this belongs in a team thread at the very least. It is MAY, not even training camp time. Wow, the guy who got drafted higher is still more highly regarded! Amazing. Some great insight by that chiefs fan.

reese
05-24-2007, 02:16 AM
52-5? is there not a skunk rule in effect?

myinnerself
05-24-2007, 03:14 AM
52-5? is there not a skunk rule in effect?

Let's wait until they actually play in the NFL to decide who is actually right.

Acreboy
05-24-2007, 08:50 AM
Well, you can argue that Bowe at the very least looks like T.O.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n196/Acreboy/boweripped.jpg

brat316
05-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Nah i think he is going to be more of a Hines Ward type player

bergo23
05-24-2007, 11:32 AM
They both will be great players, both great fits for their new teams. KC desperately needs an all around potential #1....the Bolts need a guy who can stretch the field. Buster Davis was underrated going into the draft......see Scott's Bio.

They both will be solid Pro's but are very different players.

Vikes99ej
05-24-2007, 11:34 AM
I'll say Bowe.

constant cough
05-24-2007, 12:34 PM

I voted Davis and I'm an LSU fan. Davis is faster has better hands and runs better routes, only thing Bowe has on him is strength. As far the person who said Davis doesn't catch with his hands you couldn't be more wrong. What LSU games were you watching? I watched Davis for 4 years at LSU and when he was in high school, he's always been clutch.

I'm not sure I was that surprised that the Chargers drafted Davis or that they drafted/graded him over Anthony Gonzalez.

That's because he's better than Gonzalez and they didn't want the Colts to get Davis.

Davis was underrated going into the draft and I see he's still underrated in most people's minds here. He'll prove you wrong for he's this years Reggie Wayne.

Acreboy
05-24-2007, 12:38 PM
I voted Davis and I'm an LSU fan. Davis is faster has better hands and runs better routes, only thing Bowe has on him is strength. As far the person who said Davis doesn't catch with his hands you couldn't be more wrong. What LSU games were you watching? I watched Davis for 4 years and LSU and when he was in high school, he's always been clutch.

Davis was underrated going into the draft and I see he's still underrated in most people's minds here. He'll prove you wrong for he's this years Reggie Wayne.Great comparison to Wayne IMO.

Well, at least the chargers didn't underrate him.

LarryJohnson27
05-24-2007, 12:50 PM
I voted Davis and I'm an LSU fan. Davis is faster has better hands and runs better routes, only thing Bowe has on him is strength. As far the person who said Davis doesn't catch with his hands you couldn't be more wrong. What LSU games were you watching? I watched Davis for 4 years at LSU and when he was in high school, he's always been clutch.

That's because he's better than Gonzalez and they didn't want the Colts to get Davis.

Davis was underrated going into the draft and I see he's still underrated in most people's minds here. He'll prove you wrong for he's this years Reggie Wayne.

The only thing Bowe has on him is strength? I guess your the only person who sees this, and the scouts and draft experts just have it ALL wrong.

constant cough
05-24-2007, 12:54 PM
The only thing Bowe has on him is strength? I guess your the only person who sees this, and the scouts and draft experts just have it ALL wrong.

I guess you don't vist many or any LSU fan sites or you would know I'm not the only one who sees this. Go check out tigerdroppings.com or tigerforums.com ask them who they think is better of Bowe and Davis then come report back to me.

Yes the scouts and draft experts have it wrong. It wouldn't be the first time they got something wrong and it won't be the last. You put too much stock into popular opinion.

constant cough
05-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Sorry for the double post I can't figure out how to delete it.

Acreboy
05-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Bowe was drafted on raw potential. Davis was the most consistent WR LSu has had the pas 3 years.

Davis is a possession WR. He is being labeled a field stretcher but he does that every now and then. If you throw him the ball he'll catch it. I mean he's no Devery Henderson.

LarryJohnson27
05-24-2007, 01:45 PM
I love how people talk as if Bowe wasn't as productive.

Bowe: 2,403 yards 26 TD's

Davis: 2,117 yards 7 TD's

So if Bowe is the one with unrealized potential doesn't that mean he's easily the better prospect? They're kind of close in terms of yards, but Bowe smoked him in TD's. Seems to me if you think he's the one with unrealized potential, but was still the #1 at LSU, and the more productive of the two, then he should probablly be the better pro.

As for the LSU fans opinion. Your opinion will be much different from a scouts, or draft experts. You are a fan, which means there are emotions evolved. A fan would probablly feel different about Bowe due to some of his costly drops, but a scout doesn't see it the same. They look at him as a prospect, while you guys are looking at him as a member of your favorite team.

As for consistency, Davis might have been more consistent, but he didn't have to deal with double coverages, and going up against the opposing teams best CB.

CC.SD
05-24-2007, 02:22 PM
I love how people talk as if Bowe wasn't as productive.

Bowe: 2,403 yards 26 TD's

Davis: 2,117 yards 7 TD's

So if Bowe is the one with unrealized potential doesn't that mean he's easily the better prospect? They're kind of close in terms of yards, but Bowe smoked him in TD's. Seems to me if you think he's the one with unrealized potential, but was still the #1 at LSU, and the more productive of the two, then he should probablly be the better pro.

As for the LSU fans opinion. Your opinion will be much different from a scouts, or draft experts. You are a fan, which means there are emotions evolved. A fan would probablly feel different about Bowe due to some of his costly drops, but a scout doesn't see it the same. They look at him as a prospect, while you guys are looking at him as a member of your favorite team.

As for consistency, Davis might have been more consistent, but he didn't have to deal with double coverages, and going up against the opposing teams best CB.

I don't see why an LSU fan would be more biased towards one receiver over another. If anything, you'd think it would toward Bowe, who clearly was more productive in college. If his opinion is affected by costly drops, that's because Bowe's hands aren't great.

LarryJohnson27
05-24-2007, 02:31 PM
I don't see why an LSU fan would be more biased towards one receiver over another. If anything, you'd think it would toward Bowe, who clearly was more productive in college. If his opinion is affected by costly drops, that's because Bowe's hands aren't great.

Davis is just one of those guys you love to have on your team. He's solid, and reliable in the clutch. While Bowe had some costly drops early in his college career, which probablly frustated some fans. So I can easily see an LSU fan basing there thoughts on that. Once again, they aren't looking at them as prospects. Looking at them as prospects, I can't see how one could come to the conclusion that Davis is the better NFL prospect.

CC.SD
05-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Davis is just one of those guys you love to have on your team. He's solid, and reliable in the clutch. While Bowe had some costly drops early in his college career, which probablly frustated some fans. So I can easily see an LSU fan basing there thoughts on that. Once again, they aren't looking at them as prospects. Looking at them as prospects, I can't see how one could come to the conclusion that Davis is the better NFL prospect.

Fair enough, it's just an opinion. But that's not what our resident LSU fan is saying. I guess we'll find out an answer eventually. I think a far more interesting thread would be "Dwayne Jarrett or Steve Smith"

nobodyinparticular
05-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Who is the better LSU WR?

Just randumb (emphasis on dumb) interjection... How funny would it be to have the Raiders or Broncos draft Early Doucet next year? (meaning all 3 LSU WRs would be in the AFC West)

Splat
05-24-2007, 03:35 PM
I will tell you after I see what Croyle can do for the Chiefs I know Rivers can play.

CC.SD
05-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Just randumb (emphasis on dumb) interjection... How funny would it be to have the Raiders or Broncos draft Early Doucet next year? (meaning all 3 LSU WRs would be in the AFC West)

That would be awesome. I wouldn't disagree if the Raiders somehow got ahold of Early; always good to pair a fresh QB with a great target to develop together. LOL, maybe Devery Henderson will get traded to Denver once Stokely and Rod Smith are gone. Deep threat+Cutler, it's not impossible. Ah, fantasy land.

BoltHype
05-24-2007, 05:46 PM

or just an objective observer. I voted for Davis btw :-)

Shere Khan
05-24-2007, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=Acreboy;412577](See Sig)

He's no Xavier Carter or Bennie Brazil.

QUOTE]

What's the problem with Brazell?

Acreboy
05-24-2007, 05:58 PM
[quote=Acreboy;412577](See Sig)

He's no Xavier Carter or Bennie Brazil.

QUOTE]

What's the problem with Brazell?Well what I was getting at there was nothing against them personally. He and Carter were just track stars turned football players. People tried saying that about Buster Davis when in fact he was a football player who happened to run track.

He was kind of inconsistent though. That's why he never saw significant playing time.

Phrost
05-24-2007, 05:59 PM

Being slightly hypocritical? You are speaking highly of him, maybe because YOUR team who you are a fan of drafted him. As you said before fans' emotions are tied in so their opinion in such matters are void.

Xenos
05-24-2007, 06:02 PM
I like Bowe as a prospect, and knew next to nothing about Davis. But after reading more about Davis, I think he fits SD's scheme very well. Plus he has the things we need such as good hands, good speed, a good run blocker, and a good character guy who works very hard.

LarryJohnson27
05-24-2007, 06:44 PM
Being slightly hypocritical? You are speaking highly of him, maybe because YOUR team who you are a fan of drafted him. As you said before fans' emotions are tied in so their opinion in such matters are void.

I don't feel that anything I have said is homer-like. I would have told you a week before the draft I felt Bowe was a better prospect, as would most of the people on this board. Also, I don't think the LSU fans opinions should be voided, all I'm saying is that being a fan rather then an evalutator has alot to do with why some LSU fans might feel Davis is better. I don't get how you can make me sound like a homer? I mean look at the poll! I'll tell you straight up I liked Davis as a prospect, and it is possible he has the better NFL career, but I'm not going to say he's the better prospect. It's ridiculous for someone to say all Bowe has on Davis is size, but it's not ridiculous for me to say Bowe is a better prospect then Davis. I'm sure most would agree with this. You obviously would, since you went with Bowe earlier in the thread. I called him out on the "fan" thing because his statement called for it, not just because he was a fan.

LarryJohnson27
05-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Just wanted to add, if I said LJ were better then LT would someone call me a homer? Of course! But if I said LJ were the 2nd best RB in the NFL would they? Probablly not. It all depends on what's being said. It doesn't mean a fan can't comment, or voice his opinion on players from his team.

CC.SD
05-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Just wanted to add, if I said LJ were better then LT would someone call me a homer? Of course! But if I said LJ were the 2nd best RB in the NFL would they?

These days, they might. Steven Jackson makes a strong argument, especially with Will Shields gone. But that's for another thread.

LarryJohnson27
05-24-2007, 09:23 PM
These days, they might. Steven Jackson makes a strong argument, especially with Will Shields gone. But that's for another thread.

Yea, but it's not ridiculous. You get the pont.

RaiderDude
05-25-2007, 06:55 AM
Bowie is going to be the next Hines Ward he is going to be better then Davis. Davis is good has speed but i see Bowie being better

Who's gonna throw him the ball?

brat316
05-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Uh Brodie or Damond or Green which i doubt
He is the only other WR threat on their team other then Gonzales and they make him sit on the bench from time to time since he cant block, but i think he is playing more now since he has learned to block for LJ.

Splat
05-25-2007, 11:32 AM
He is the only other WR threat on their team other then Gonzales and they make him sit on the bench from time to time since he cant block, but i think he is playing more now since he has learned to block for LJ.

Please tell me I read that wrong and you didn't really say Gonzo can't block? That being said everyone sleeping on Eddie Kennison year after year is getting old he is not a great WR but he is a solid starter.

kmartin575
05-25-2007, 12:06 PM

Are you kidding? Tony Gonzalez never sits the bench. He has proven to be a very good blocker and is one of the better blocking TE's in the NFL. I don't think you have watched the Chiefs very much. Not saying you should have but I guarantee Gonzalez is a very good blocker.

brat316
05-25-2007, 06:43 PM
yeah i really havent, im just going on what i heard last year where Gonzalez was complaining he wasnt getting the ball i thought he was sitting for running plays

kmartin575
05-25-2007, 10:13 PM
yeah i really havent, im just going on what i heard last year where Gonzalez was complaining he wasnt getting the ball i thought he was sitting for running plays

Nope.

However, one thing that was very noticeable was that Trent Green threw the ball to Gonzalez and Larry Johnson far too little. Damon Huard actually utilized Gonzalez and LJ in the passing game quite abit and they put up good numbers with him at QB. Once Green came back their receptions dropped as Green tried to force feed the ball to our wide receivers.

At least now we hopefully have a wide receiver in Bowe who should be good enough for a quarterback to force feed the ball to him if he wants to.

RaiderDude
05-27-2007, 12:04 PM
He's got one good eyeball

Staubach12
05-28-2007, 09:45 AM
I see D-Unit catching a lot of heat for his comments that Davis was a cradle-catcher. It's actually true. He catches with his hands some of the time, but other times, he cradles. Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA_8YV6Nnn8

brat316
05-28-2007, 10:35 AM
so he does cradle the ball,

Acreboy
05-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Almost all WR's do. Bowe doesn't catch every ball with his hands.

YAYareaRB
05-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Early Doucet.

QFT.. I thought Early Doucet was the best of them all. But, I'd have to say Dwayne Bowe. He'll be the better pro because coaches will have more to work with. He's tall,long,and strong. As soon as he gets his concentration down and those soft hands start coming in, he'll be hard to stop. Craig Davis is gonna thrive in the slot. He knows how to secure the ball and rarely drops. But, he's a tad bit shorter than Dwayne, lighter, and slower.

soybean
05-28-2007, 03:19 PM
I see D-Unit catching a lot of heat for his comments that Davis was a cradle-catcher. It's actually true. He catches with his hands some of the time, but other times, he cradles. Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA_8YV6Nnn8

watch meachem's highlights, probably the biggest cradle-catcher of them all.

Acreboy
05-28-2007, 04:07 PM
QFT.. I thought Early Doucet was the best of them all. But, I'd have to say Dwayne Bowe. He'll be the better pro because coaches will have more to work with. He's tall,long,and strong. As soon as he gets his concentration down and those soft hands start coming in, he'll be hard to stop. Craig Davis is gonna thrive in the slot. He knows how to secure the ball and rarely drops. But, he's a tad bit shorter than Dwayne, lighter, and slower.Don't let the combine numbers fool you, Davis is faster. There's also not a big size difference as far as height.

I do agree that Bowe is the better WR.

watch meachem's highlights, probably the biggest cradle-catcher of them all.Curtis Johnson fixed that already.

brat316
05-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Combine numbers blow, Bowe has a slow 40 but he has game speed like Rice and Chad Johnson

Splat
05-30-2007, 08:53 AM
Nope.

However, one thing that was very noticeable was that Trent Green threw the ball to Gonzalez and Larry Johnson far too little. Damon Huard actually utilized Gonzalez and LJ in the passing game quite abit and they put up good numbers with him at QB. Once Green came back their receptions dropped as Green tried to force feed the ball to our wide receivers.

At least now we hopefully have a wide receiver in Bowe who should be good enough for a quarterback to force feed the ball to him if he wants to.

To add to that Green would force the ball to Samie Parker to much at times but after he dropped a few in a row from Huard he stopped looking his way.

Splat
05-30-2007, 08:55 AM

Gonzo is the kinda guy that always wants the ball but not in the T.O. or Moss kinda way if you ask him to block he still gives his all.

supermario86
05-31-2007, 08:43 AM
I really like Craig Davis but good physical receviers don't come as much as deep threat receviers.

constant cough
05-31-2007, 11:30 AM
The answer is still Craig Davis.

kmartin575
05-31-2007, 11:53 AM
The answer is still Craig Davis.

LMAO

This poll shows that most people disagree with you.

CC.SD
05-31-2007, 12:26 PM
LMAO

This poll shows that most people disagree with you.

To be fair, CC has seen both of them play their entire college careers. Laughing at his opinion is just stupid.