PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Hawks

SeanTaylorRIP
05-23-2007, 02:25 PM
I'm obviously the biggest Hawks fan on the boards but anyone else here like them. They have the 3rd and 11th picks in the upcoming draft if anyone cares. Will be a nice chance to pick up a franchise PG and Big man.

BigDawg819
05-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Not really a fan of the Hawks but they are definitely poised to have a solid young nucleus down there with the 3rd and 11th picks in this draft. The question is who do they select at those spots? I mean I feel Conley Jr. is the better point guard out there but is he a reach at 3? But with the 11th pick I would like to see them select an Al Thorton out of Florida State because he could form a nice duo with a Sheldon Williams on the inside for the Hawks.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-23-2007, 02:43 PM
If they take Noah 3rd, I will lose all faith in Billy Knight if I already haven't.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-23-2007, 02:47 PM
They probably wouldn't pick Conley at 3, possibly 11, but I see them chosing Jeff Green, Yi Jianlian, or Al Horford assuming the big 2 are already taken. The Hawks definently need a PG and a big man.

ccB
05-23-2007, 02:52 PM
Yi Jianlin and Conley ftw, If Conley is gone look for the hometown Javaris Crittenton.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-23-2007, 03:15 PM
They probably wouldn't pick Conley at 3, possibly 11, but I see them chosing Jeff Green, Yi Jianlian, or Al Horford assuming the big 2 are already taken. The Hawks definently need a PG and a big man.

Jeff Green is my favorite player in the draft but he is another 3/4, same as Josh Smith and Marvin. At 3 I am hoping they take Yi like Charm said and I do want Crittenton at 11. I wouldn't mind Brandan Wright either or Horford mildly. As long as they don't take Noah at #3 or 11 I am fine with their picks.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Jeff Green is my favorite player in the draft but he is another 3/4, same as Josh Smith and Marvin. At 3 I am hoping they take Yi like Charm said and I do want Crittenton at 11. I wouldn't mind Brandan Wright either or Horford mildly. As long as they don't take Noah at #3 or 11 I am fine with their picks.

Yea, I was thinking Crittenton at 11 too, especially since he went to GT. Jeff Green could play PF as he has the skills and height. Yi would be a great pickup, and he could turn around a franchise much like Yao did, except maybe even more so than Yao.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-23-2007, 07:37 PM
Yea, I was thinking Crittenton at 11 too, especially since he went to GT. Jeff Green could play PF as he has the skills and height. Yi would be a great pickup, and he could turn around a franchise much like Yao did, except maybe even more so than Yao.

Yeah but thing is Josh Smith is a rising Allstar at the 4, and Marvin is pretty much locked in at the 3. I love Jeffy no doubt but he would be relegated to a bench role, or Marvin would but after passing on Deron Williams and Chris Paul for him, he better do something. Or maybe trade 3 and 11 for #1 and Jarrett Jack, so we could get Jack and Oden instead of say Brandan Wright and Crittenton.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Yeah but thing is Josh Smith is a rising Allstar at the 4, and Marvin is pretty much locked in at the 3. I love Jeffy no doubt but he would be relegated to a bench role, or Marvin would but after passing on Deron Williams and Chris Paul for him, he better do something. Or maybe trade 3 and 11 for #1 and Jarrett Jack, so we could get Jack and Oden instead of say Brandan Wright and Crittenton.

That would be a pretty good trade, and Portland could take it as they already have Aldridge, which is why I don't see them picking up Oden because they're similar players and they could use someone like Jeff Green. I really like Jarrett Jack, and I think he offers about the same as Crittenton, especially since he's been in the league two years already. I don't think they'd give up Jarrett Jack in that deal though, he's ready to have a breakthrough year next year, and it'd probably take someone like Josh Childress or Salim Stoudamire to complete.

iloxygenil
05-23-2007, 09:46 PM
I would LOVE Al Thornton at 11, if he's there. At #3 I think we should get the big Asian, unless we traded up to get Oden somehow...

thefalconer
05-24-2007, 01:53 AM
what about AC Law?!

Ciao Bella
05-24-2007, 11:45 AM
That would be a pretty good trade, and Portland could take it as they already have Aldridge, which is why I don't see them picking up Oden because they're similar players and they could use someone like Jeff Green. I really like Jarrett Jack, and I think he offers about the same as Crittenton, especially since he's been in the league two years already. I don't think they'd give up Jarrett Jack in that deal though, he's ready to have a breakthrough year next year, and it'd probably take someone like Josh Childress or Salim Stoudamire to complete.

wow, this would be a great trade for the Hawks but i just dont ever see Portland giving up the chance to get Oden.. He would be an amazing fi there

C- Oden
PF- Randolph
SF- Roy
SG- Webster
PG- Jack

thats a great lineup

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-24-2007, 01:11 PM
wow, this would be a great trade for the Hawks but i just dont ever see Portland giving up the chance to get Oden.. He would be an amazing fi there

C- Oden
PF- Randolph
SF- Roy
SG- Webster
PG- Jack

thats a great lineup

So wat happens to Aldridge?

georgiafan
05-24-2007, 01:19 PM
If they take Noah 3rd, I will lose all faith in Billy Knight if I already haven't.

Wow, you still have faith in billy knight? I lost that years ago

Ciao Bella
05-24-2007, 03:34 PM
So wat happens to Aldridge?

He wont start ahead or Zach Randolph.. but i could see him starting instead of Oden for a while untill Oden gets used to the NBA. But Oden would be a defense force in the paint so i see him starting from day 1

SeanTaylorRIP
05-24-2007, 03:51 PM
Wow, you still have faith in billy knight? I lost that years ago

He grabbed Josh Smith at the 17th pick so that's enough for me to keep faith in him. Josh Smith will be a top 10 NBA player in 3 years time.

scar988
05-24-2007, 04:25 PM
hmmm... we have a solid core with this:

C = Pachulia (upgradable)
PF - Smooth/S-Will
SF - M-Will/J-Chill
SG - Johnson/Stoudamire
PG - Claxton/Lue (upgradable)

I would try and get a top C and a top PG if possible. maybe somethign like this:
3 - PG Mike Conley or C Yi Jianlian
11 - C/PF Joakim Noah or PG Javaris Crittendon

now I know some people don't like Noah. I think he is a good player though and if he wasn't the focal point of an offense then he would have been better. in Atlanta he could be good if we ran more of a press and fast break type thing.

ATLDirtyBirds
05-24-2007, 04:52 PM
One of you guys can probaly answer this for me, what's going on with Salim? I was a huge fan of him and college, and I haven't heard his name at all in ATL.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-24-2007, 04:54 PM
One of you guys can probaly answer this for me, what's going on with Salim? I was a huge fan of him and college, and I haven't heard his name at all in ATL.

He is in a point guards body but doesn't have point guard skills. He can shoot no doubt but is undersized on defense and is not good running the team. But with the way he scored at the end of the year he deserves an increased role, when he's hot he can roll on 30+ points, he just lacks any sort of consistency and is a defensive liability and his play can be out of control and erratic at times.

BNad
05-24-2007, 04:57 PM
I would be absolutely furious if we take Joakim Noah.. anywhere in the draft. I'd much rather have Brandan Wright as he's the better player with a higher ceiling... and I don't want him because we don't need someone like him. PG is a need so I'll take Conley, but if we don't get him, I'd rather have Acie Law than Crittenton.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Getting the 11th pick for Al Harrington was tremendous. He would have left for free agency anyways so it was brilliant working the sign in trade deal. I didn't like him anyways, he was a ballhog and holding back Josh Smith.

scar988
05-30-2007, 04:55 PM
agreed. now, Kobe is possibly available... should we go after him? say #11, J-Chill, and Sheldon Williams for Kobe?

I wish... hmm... Joe Johnson, #11, and J-Chill for Kobe?

it would make our team look like this if we went out and got Conley in the draft at 3...

C = Zaza Pachulia/Solomon Jones
PF = Josh Smith/Sheldon Williams
SF = Marvin Williams/Slava Medvenko
SG = Kobe Bryant/Salim Stoudamire
PG = Mike Conley/Speedy Calxton/Tyronn Lue

SeanTaylorRIP
05-30-2007, 04:58 PM
Oh my gosh latest rumor is Josh Smith and #3 for Aldridge and Jack someone shoot Billy Knight. Smith is worth 2 Aldridge's or atleast 1 Aldridge so you are saying Jack is worth the 3rd pick wtf, even if it was Marvin and #3 for Aldridge and Jack I would have trouble, but what more Smith?

thefalconer
05-30-2007, 07:01 PM
i completely doubt that will happen. as in any sport this is just one of many rumors that wont happen.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-30-2007, 08:30 PM
i completely doubt that will happen. as in any sport this is just one of many rumors that wont happen.

We are the Hawks bro, I can only hope so but with Billy Knight never doubt his stupidity. If we just drafted right, we would be an elite team in the east.

iloxygenil
05-30-2007, 09:29 PM
I really hope we don't trade Smith, he's a baller.

scar988
05-30-2007, 09:49 PM
I would do Smith for Aldridge and Jack. but no #3. maybe #3 for Aldridge and JAck straight up. but no smith. that we we go Aldridge, Smith, Marvin, Johnson and Jack as our lineup.

iloxygenil
05-30-2007, 10:00 PM
What do you guys think our chances of drafting that big 7ft Asian guy is? Will that be a direction we look?

BNad
05-31-2007, 04:20 AM
That'll be such a bad trade... if we've actually offered that, the Blazers should have done it in a heart beat. Then they could take Oden and Connely while adding Josh Smith. Wow. I'd be a Blazers fan, then. :P

I'm not sure where we go at #3, but whoever we take is (pretty much) a reach or doesn't fill a need. Since we've got a pick at #11, though, I wouldn't mind us taking BPA with no C worth taking and then taking a PG at 11.

iloxygenil
05-31-2007, 09:39 AM
I kinda figure we'll take Connely at #3 and then see if that big 7 footer drops to #1...that's what I was thinking...but man...I'd LOVE Al Thornton...

scar988
05-31-2007, 10:34 AM
What do you guys think our chances of drafting that big 7ft Asian guy is? Will that be a direction we look?

pretty damn good... but idk if I would want him. we would have to use #3 on him. Conley hopefully will be #3. then we would get a guy at 11 like Noah (I could see him slipping)... I know you guys don't like Noah but I do...

thefalconer
05-31-2007, 05:11 PM
i dont like noah. i would love to see al thornton in a hawks jersey. i'm thinking the seven footer is overrated. he lacks toughness like yao early on in his nba career.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-31-2007, 08:28 PM
i dont like noah. i would love to see al thornton in a hawks jersey. i'm thinking the seven footer is overrated. he lacks toughness like yao early on in his nba career.

Not sure with the Thornton obsession and yes he is a good player and should go late lottery to late teens but he is another raw 3/4 player, we already have Jsmoove and Marvin so I have no reason why we would want another one. We need 2 things, a Center and a Point guard.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-31-2007, 09:07 PM

Yi's years ahead of Yao in terms of toughness when Yao came. Yi's a better prospect than Yao due to his athletisicm, shooting ability, toughness, and strength.

If the rumored deals are true that we give up Josh, then Al Thornton at 11 wouldn't be a bad choice. These two are almost identical players, except Josh is a little better fitted for the 4.

thefalconer
05-31-2007, 09:20 PM
i see thornton as a NBA PF. man i want him. trading down in the nba draft is very unlikely correct?

iloxygenil
06-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Al Thornton is amazing, his heart is 2nd to none his work ethic is the same, and his ability to play defense is AMAZING. I know he's a small 4 and will end up playing 3, and we already have 3 guys stuck at that possition but man, I'd LOVE to have Al here, I think he has the tools to be a star in the NBA. As far as getting Noah at 11, he will be gone, but if he was there I'd love to have him, but I think he'll end up playing the 3 in the NBA for some reason, but you can't beat Prince, he causes so many matchup problems and is SO good defensively I'd really love to have someone like that. But we need a C and a PG really bad, so I dunno where we'll end up going =/

StaticGator
06-11-2007, 09:51 AM
What's with all the Noah hate? No one wants another Marcus Camby on their team?

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
06-11-2007, 05:58 PM
What's with all the Noah hate? No one wants another Marcus Camby on their team?

Noah's nowhere near Marcus Camby. More like Anderson Varejao. We don't need a fish that flops a lot on the Hawks.

BNad
06-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Camby... haha... I really don't know what to call him the next. NBADraft.net has him as Tyson Chandler.

StaticGator
06-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Is it that hard to imagine Noah averaging 11 points and 9 rebounds as a rookie? I live in Atlanta. Couldn't the Hawks use someone like that and who plays hard every game to light a fire under a bunch of underachievers?

falconsrule
06-19-2007, 04:44 PM
All of you Al Thornton fans should stop dreaming the Hawks didnt even invite the guy to one of the individuals workouts....If the Hawks decide to keep both picks I would pick Al Horford then take the best point guard available with the #11 pick

WHO: Wednesday, June 20
10 a.m. Acie Law (G, 6-3, 195, Texas A&M
Consensus First Team All-America … 18.1 ppg and 5.0 apg last season
Javaris Crittenton (G, 6-5, 198, Georgia Tech)
Tied for team lead in scoring (14.4 ppg) … Also averaged 5.8 apg, 3.7 rpg, 2.0 spg
Jamon Gordon (G, 6-3, 212, Virginia Tech)
Third Team All-ACC last season … Put in 11.4 ppg, 4.5 apg, 4.5 rpg
1 p.m. Brandan Wright (F, 6-10, 210, North Carolina)
ACC Rookie of the Year and All-ACC Second Team … 14.7 ppg, 6.2 rpg (.646 FG%)
Friday, June 22
10 a.m. Joakim Noah (F/C, 6-11, 232, Florida)
12.0 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 1.8 bpg in ‘06-‘07 … Most Outstanding Player of ‘06 NCAA Final Four
Saturday, June 23
10 a.m. Rodney Stuckey (G, 6-5, 205, Eastern Washington)
Seventh nationally in scoring last season (24.6), after 24.2 ppg as a freshman in ’05-‘06
Monday, June 25
10 a.m. Al Horford (F/C, 6-10, 245, Florida)
Third Team All-America last season (13.2 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 1.8 bpg) … First Team All-SEC
1 p.m. Mike Conley Jr. (G, 6-1, 180, Ohio State)
First Team All-Big Ten by media … 11.3 ppg, 6.1 apg, 2.2 spg (.518 FG%) in 39 starts

SeanTaylorRIP
06-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Funny to see Jamon Gordon just thrown in there in the middle of all lottery players, expect them to sign him if he goes undrafted, amazing defender.

scar988
06-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Acie Law would be a great pick at #11 if we got Yi Jianlian at 3.

thefalconer
06-19-2007, 11:36 PM
i would love acie law at 11. or hold connely ransom for portland..

scar988
06-20-2007, 01:42 AM
or just get conley for ourselves. a PG is a huge need.

thefalconer
06-20-2007, 04:27 PM
yeah i really want PG at #3 but knowing billy, we're prob gonna get another forward..

SeanTaylorRIP
06-20-2007, 08:44 PM
yeah i really want PG at #3 but knowing billy, we're prob gonna get another forward..

I don't know I'd take Horford/Yi and Crittenton over Conley and Noah anyday. Also there is a chance Conley falls to 11 or, if he falls to around 8 trade up for him. #3 we can get a franchise big man not at 11.

thefalconer
06-22-2007, 09:38 AM
I really doubt Conley falls to 11. That seems absurd.. As for picking Horford at 3, what does that say about Marvin Williams and Sheldon Williams? Drafting Horford is admitting the Hawks organization made a mistake with the previous two first-round draft choices. I see Horford as a better player than both Williamses but this is simply like the Falcons taking WR after WR.

Personally, I want the Portland trade to go through. I don't know if we can get both Jarret Jack and LaMarcus Aldridge, but just having Jack who can put up 16 points a game and is experienced for the NBA with perhaps Lue teaching him a thing or two, will help the Hawks.

SeanTaylorRIP
06-22-2007, 05:35 PM
I really doubt Conley falls to 11. That seems absurd.. As for picking Horford at 3, what does that say about Marvin Williams and Sheldon Williams? Drafting Horford is admitting the Hawks organization made a mistake with the previous two first-round draft choices. I see Horford as a better player than both Williamses but this is simply like the Falcons taking WR after WR.

Personally, I want the Portland trade to go through. I don't know if we can get both Jarret Jack and LaMarcus Aldridge, but just having Jack who can put up 16 points a game and is experienced for the NBA with perhaps Lue teaching him a thing or two, will help the Hawks.

The Aldridge and Jack deal requires moving #3 and Josh Smith and that aint happening. And Horford can play the 5 for us, Marvin plays the 3 so not sure what you mean there. And the Hawks don't value Conley like you do, apparently we have Acie and Javarris Crittenton ranked above him.

thefalconer
06-23-2007, 01:27 PM
I read about some rumors that Hawks want Acie at 3. I hope thats all a smokescreen.

Horford playing center!? In the NBA?! He's no Ben Wallace who plays larger than his actual height. Adding another PF that will rival the maturing Josh Smith is not good for the team. I really don't get it. We need a PG, we have for the past 2-3 years. Yet we pass on Chris Paul and Derron Williams. Hmm.. deja vu this year?

SeanTaylorRIP
06-23-2007, 01:32 PM
I read about some rumors that Hawks want Acie at 3. I hope thats all a smokescreen.

Horford playing center!? In the NBA?! He's no Ben Wallace who plays larger than his actual height. Adding another PF that will rival the maturing Josh Smith is not good for the team. I really don't get it. We need a PG, we have for the past 2-3 years. Yet we pass on Chris Paul and Derron Williams. Hmm.. deja vu this year?

We run an uptempo suns style offense which allows Josh Smith to be an effective allstar level PF, Horford could easily step in and play Center just as Stoudemire does in Phoenix, and Diaw did 2 years ago. He just makes sense out of all the big men we can get with the 3rd pick. At 11 we can take Critenton or Acie.

falconsrule
06-26-2007, 04:22 PM
We run an uptempo suns style offense which allows Josh Smith to be an effective allstar level PF, Horford could easily step in and play Center just as Stoudemire does in Phoenix, and Diaw did 2 years ago. He just makes sense out of all the big men we can get with the 3rd pick. At 11 we can take Critenton or Acie.

I agree 100%....Ofcourse we need a PG and just because Billy Knight screwed up when he didnt draft Chris Paul or D.Williams back in 05 we shouldnt draft Conley at 3 when he is not the BPA....I say take Horford who can come in and help us out right now or trade the pick for a veteran player....and Josh Smith can play SF....Marvin Willams will have to come off the bench which I really dont mind

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
06-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Crittenton runs a high-tempo offense a lot better than Law. Crittenton almost runs it as good as Conley.

SeanTaylorRIP
06-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Reports are that it's almost a lock that if Conley or Yi do not drop to 11 we have a trade in place to trade #11 for Luke Ridnour.

scar988
06-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Horford! No!

Law! Yes!! Finally!

thefalconer
06-29-2007, 01:50 AM
the result came out to be like almost every mock out there. there were so many rumors! i'm really glad the ridnour rumor didnt go through. this years draft was huge. i really hope horford doesnt turn into another "landlord".

07-08
with the new unis and new lineup, hopefully these hawks can have a successful season in the terrible east.

BamaFalcon59
06-29-2007, 08:57 AM
Haha, the Hawks are dumb as hell. They are my number 2 team, thank God the Cavs aren't so dumb.

That is, unless he can play center with success. Which I doubt due to the height and short arm reach.

Then you look at the second pick, Law. I love Law. Not a true point but should help none the less.

But, what could have been is a lot better. Conley Jr., Sean Williams. Williams would be considered a reach but he has as much potential if not more than Horford. And gives that great defensive presence. Just as big, longer wingspan, better defense.

SeanTaylorRIP
06-29-2007, 10:25 AM
Sean Williams is not much different than Soloman Jones, don't be a fool. Horford is next in line to be a 20+10 guy. Acie is a baller.

thefalconer
06-29-2007, 02:28 PM
i just can't see horford as a big enough guy to produce as an effective center in the nba. and he's not much of an uptempo guy either.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
06-29-2007, 09:39 PM
One of the bigs has to go, which one woudl it be? That Williams pick last year was terrible...

SeanTaylorRIP
06-30-2007, 08:02 AM
No one has to go, Shelden is not a starter, and we drafted him knowing he wouldn't start.

BamaFalcon59
06-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Sean Williams is not much different than Soloman Jones, don't be a fool. Horford is next in line to be a 20+10 guy. Acie is a baller.

Is that why Williams went top 20 in a much deeper draft even though he is considered a huge risk? While Soloman went in round 2 in a 'weak' draft. Williams was the best defender in the draft. Best shot blocker too. Well, unless you are going off Oden's potential.

Horford isn't going to do much for the franchise. His wingspan is short for his height. He is a PF but not a C. A 6'9 3/4 C with a 6'11 wingspan has a slim chance of succeeding.

falconsrule
07-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Is that why Williams went top 20 in a much deeper draft even though he is considered a huge risk? While Soloman went in round 2 in a 'weak' draft. Williams was the best defender in the draft. Best shot blocker too. Well, unless you are going off Oden's potential.

Horford isn't going to do much for the franchise. His wingspan is short for his height. He is a PF but not a C. A 6'9 3/4 C with a 6'11 wingspan has a slim chance of succeeding.

I really like both picks....Horford was considered the 3rd best player in the draft and someone who can come in and help out from day one aswell as Law....And that explains the reason why we passed on Conley.....If you think Horford has a slim chance at succeeding because of his wingspan...I wonder why Ben Wallace has done so well at the Center posistion being that he is only 6'8

BamaFalcon59
07-02-2007, 01:39 PM
I really like both picks....Horford was considered the 3rd best player in the draft and someone who can come in and help out from day one aswell as Law....And that explains the reason why we passed on Conley.....If you think Horford has a slim chance at succeeding because of his wingspan...I wonder why Ben Wallace has done so well at the Center posistion being that he is only 6'8

Ben Wallace is the exception, not the rule.

SeanTaylorRIP
07-02-2007, 01:42 PM
So we were gonna get Amare what about his wingspan? Who cares wth his wingspan is, he is strong, can rebound, score, and run the floor. People get to obsessed with labeling a position on someone, in today's NBA you don't need a "Center".