PDA

View Full Version : Discuss the Supplemental Draft Thread

bigbluedefense
05-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Figure Id make a thread discussing the supplemental draft so we don't have a thread for each player elligible.

Whats everyone's thoughts on Paul Oliver? The more I hear, the more he's starting to grow on me. I don't know enough about him though. What's his major character concerns?

From a physical standpoint, he sounds like a great player. But no one enters the supplemental draft without a checkered history. So anyone got any info on the guy, please share it with the rest of us.

Along with any other guys coming out.

GiantRutgersFan
05-23-2007, 04:05 PM
as far as I know its just his grades that are the issue.

and it IS an issue if you cant keep your grades up to a decent level in college, especially if your a sports player (from what I hear at least).

I would definitly spend a 3rd rounder on him however. Some guys have football smarts, but just do poorly in academics

ricky bobby
05-23-2007, 04:08 PM
I'd throw a 3rd rounder at Oliver and a 5th at Gaither, if he declares.

Damix
05-23-2007, 04:09 PM
I'm not sure the team feels it will need another CB, if Gaither enters, I think hes worth the flier, but again I'm not sure the team will feel it needs another tackle, you can only carry so many on the roster.

I think we stay out of it this year.

GiantRutgersFan
05-23-2007, 04:15 PM
I'm not sure the team feels it will need another CB, if Gaither enters, I think hes worth the flier, but again I'm not sure the team will feel it needs another tackle, you can only carry so many on the roster.

I think we stay out of it this year.

I wouldnt like Gaither unless its like a 6th or 7th.

Kevin Schaffer is the way to go in that department if its what we are doing.

bigbluedefense
05-23-2007, 04:16 PM
If he is who they say he is, which is a potential top 10 pick in next year's draft if it wasn't for academics, then I think he's worthy of a 3rd.

I know we have a plethora of CBs on our roster, but it doesn't mean squat if none of them are any good. We have a bunch of hot garbage is all.

Now, Im a big supporter of Underwood, but its much more realistic to see him as a nickel CB in this league relative to anything else. I think he can develop beyond that, but I wouldn't put all my eggs in his basket just yet.

Imagine if this kid is the real deal and you have him and Ross on both sides? That would be great. And getting 4.3 speed at 200 lbs usually doesn't come around in the 3rd round. He did a standup job on Calvin Johnson from what I hear last year.

Imagine turning one of our biggest problems into a strength in a matter of one year? I know thats wishful thinking, but hey, what the hell its the offseason.

Giantsfan1080
05-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Since the rumors started I've been saying we should give up a 3rd or 4th for him. Like BBD just said imagine have a great young CB tandem in Ross and Oliver with Madison and Mcquarters to learn from. I know Oliver is a little stupid but he has the football smarts. The game that really got him on the map was when he shut down Calvin Johnson. If he can do that imagine what he can do against less athletically gifted WR's. I would love to see us get Oliver.