PDA

View Full Version : Jay Moore, DE, Nebraska

49ersfan_87
05-23-2007, 08:24 PM
Before the draft, i wanted a nebraska DE to be our first pick (although i was always and still am fine with the current pick..) We did end up picking up a nebraska DE, but instead of carriker with our first, the 49ers picked up moore in the 4th.

What can people tell me about moore? He is going to be a OLB in the 3-4 (compared to carriker who would be a DE in the 3-4). I know this is a little late, but he signed his contract today, so i was just wondering what people could tell me about him, etc. Ill post the link to him signing in case anyone asks.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=608211

Mr. Stiller
05-23-2007, 11:37 PM
Watch:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/draft/2007/video/?c=NFL+Team&p=86592&s=1513012

theogt
05-24-2007, 04:56 PM
He's big. He's fast for his size. And he's strong. He's your future SOLB and Lawson is you WOLB. Very nice pair. Now, if you can get some ends to help them out and allow them to make plays, your 3-4 will be pretty good.

ninerfan
05-24-2007, 05:42 PM
He'll likely play in the 265 range and reports from camp are his coverage skills are beter than anticipated. He has impressed with his ability to drop into coverage. He wont be a stud this year but given time to convert to OLB (2/3 yrs) he could a 'nice' player

theogt
05-25-2007, 12:17 AM
By the way, one of the guys from the Huddle Report once told me they had him rated as a first round pick. That's a little boastful for my tastes, but he should beat out Tully for the starting SOLB position pretty quickly.

edgrenade
05-25-2007, 06:06 AM
I think TBC is playing WOLB.

MasterShake
05-25-2007, 09:58 AM
TBC is slotted at WOLB.

Lawson is at SOLB.

I hear they are talking of playing Moore at SOLB cause they think his coverage skills may be good, but who knows. If he transitions well and plays lights out...I can see him taking TBC's job mid-season sometime.

theogt
05-25-2007, 03:09 PM
I think TBC is playing WOLB.

TBC is slotted at WOLB.

Lawson is at SOLB.

I hear they are talking of playing Moore at SOLB cause they think his coverage skills may be good, but who knows. If he transitions well and plays lights out...I can see him taking TBC's job mid-season sometime.Are you talking about 4-3 WOLB? Or 3-4 WOLB? Because it wouldn't make any sense at all to have Tully and Moore at WOLB and Lawson at SOLB in the 3-4. In the 4-3 is would be fine.

Edit: Just looked it up. Nolan has Lawson at SOLB. That's pretty stupid IMO. Lawson is an almost model 3-4 WOLB. And TBC/Moore are the model 3-4 SOLB. This makes no sense.

You want your strong-side 3-4 OLB to be big (260+) to hold up against the run. You want your WOLB to be quick and able to beat the more athletic LTs.

draftguru151
05-25-2007, 03:34 PM
SOLB also have to be able to cover TEs and RBs and have a lot more responsibility. Lawson showed last year in the 4-3 at LB that he could handle that. It's harder to find a guy that can do all of that that it is to find a WOLB. DeMarcus Ware is also moving to SOLB.

MasterShake
05-25-2007, 04:13 PM
SOLB also have to be able to cover TEs and RBs and have a lot more responsibility. Lawson showed last year in the 4-3 at LB that he could handle that. It's harder to find a guy that can do all of that that it is to find a WOLB. DeMarcus Ware is also moving to SOLB.

This is correct. Lawson showed last year he is pretty good in coverage, and that was as a college DE coming into the NFL. His coverage skills will only improve, this is why he is playing SOLB.

TBC is a better pass rusher than run defender....hence he is at WOLB. Makes all the sense in the world to me.

theogt
05-25-2007, 11:51 PM
SOLB also have to be able to cover TEs and RBs and have a lot more responsibility. Lawson showed last year in the 4-3 at LB that he could handle that. It's harder to find a guy that can do all of that that it is to find a WOLB. DeMarcus Ware is also moving to SOLB.Both OLBs in a 3-4 will have coverage responsibility. But the SOLB will also have to be more stout against the run. A 240 pound linebacker usually isn't. Lawson is a bean pole. At a maximum he can get up to 250 but he'll drop weight over the course of the season. TBC played SOLB in New England. Nolan needs a bigger Suggs-type SOLB.

Larry
05-28-2007, 11:13 AM
Both OLBs in a 3-4 will have coverage responsibility. But the SOLB will also have to be more stout against the run. A 240 pound linebacker usually isn't. Lawson is a bean pole. At a maximum he can get up to 250 but he'll drop weight over the course of the season. TBC played SOLB in New England. Nolan needs a bigger Suggs-type SOLB.

Lawson is already up to 250.

theogt
05-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Lawson is already up to 250.247, actually. He'll lose that over the course of the season. By week 16 he'll be back down to high 230s.