PDA

View Full Version : Question about a Dline scheme

HawkeyeFan
05-24-2007, 01:10 PM
How does a Left Tackle/Right Tackle Defensive Line scheme work?

bigbluedefense
05-24-2007, 01:18 PM
wait...what?

HawkeyeFan
05-24-2007, 01:23 PM
The Rams said there moving to a Left Tackle/Right Tackle Defensive Line scheme, and I was wondering how that worked.

bigbluedefense
05-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Um...Im not sure what theyre saying. I think theyre saying that they plan on using a base end at LE, and a pass rushing end at RE.

Some teams don't differentiate between LE and RE. Lots of Cover 2 Teams have the same responsibilities for both. If theyre making a distinction they probably plan on using someone big and stoute as a LE and a pass rusher as RE, and probably sub in a situational pass rusher for LE in the nickel package.

I think thats what they mean, but I can't say for sure.

America
05-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Well last year, I'm assuming they went with Kennedy at NT and Glover at UT, or something like that. Now, it looks like they won't designate anyone a certain position, but both will more or less have the same responsibility. Kind of like in Jacksonville, Stroud and Henderson - neither play specifically UT or NT, whichever one is playing better at the time gets more double teams, leaving the other one single blocked.

BlindSite
05-24-2007, 07:11 PM
43s usually operate with a nose tackle and undertackle, one man to take up two gaps the other to fire one, with the LE and RE being to keep containment, that's generally how the scheme works.

Cover 2 defense is different. I've never heard either one being referred to as a left tackle/right tackle scheme. Unless they're lining the LE and RE exclusively up over the tackles and using a one gap scheme inside.