PDA

View Full Version : Which Pac-10 Running Back?

no love
05-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Which recent top Pac-10 running back would you want now?

Reggie Bush (rnd 1, #2 overall)
Maurice Drew (rnd 2, #60)
Steven Jackson (rnd 1, #24)
Marshawn Lynch (rnd 1, #12)

And why?

For me its Steven Jackson, with Marshawn coming in second... Jackson is already a great all around back (over 1500 yrds rushing and 90 total catches.) But I just have a good feeling about how Marshawns running style in the NFL.

Drew, actually comes in third for me I don't think I have ever seen anyone his size run so hard, it's just plain freakish. If he had Jackson or Drews size this wouldn't even be a contest. Although Bush definitely proved any doubters wrong, I just don't see him ever being the type of complete inside-outside back that Jackson is or Lynch can be.

Dam8610
05-24-2007, 11:33 PM
Right now, I'd have to say Jackson, Drew, Bush, Lynch in that order if I'm looking for a primary ballcarrier. That could change drastically over the next couple of seasons though.

EdReedUnstoppable
05-24-2007, 11:36 PM
1. Steven Jackson
2. Maurice Jones-Drew
3. Marshawn Lynch
4. Reggie Bush

Sniper
05-24-2007, 11:38 PM

And why?

For me its Steven Jackson, with Marshawn coming in second... Jackson is already a great all around back (over 1500 yrds rushing and 90 total catches.) But I just have a good feeling about how Marshawns running style in the NFL.

Drew, actually comes in third for me I don't think I have ever seen anyone his size run so hard, it's just plain freakish. If he had Jackson or Drews size this wouldn't even be a contest. Although Bush definitely proved any doubters wrong, I just don't see him ever being the type of complete inside-outside back that Jackson is or Lynch can be.

Get the hell out of here. You would actually take Reggie Bush last of the 4? That's a joke.

1. Steven Jackson (Inside, outside, catch the ball, whatever you want #2 RB in the NFL right now)
2. Reggie Bush (Needs to work on the inside running, but he can catch the ball very well both as RB and a slot receiver, great outside runner, unreal agility, and is a big reason why guys like Colston and McAllister had great years last year, returns punts/kicks)
3a. Drew (Very powerful runner for a little guy, better than Bush inside, but not quite as explosive)
3b. Lynch (Very versatile back. I like him a lot)

All four of these guys are or can be GREAT running backs. I really love their versatility as they're all very capable receivers.

05-24-2007, 11:38 PM
1.Reggie Bush
2.Steven Jackson
3.Marshawn Lynch
4. Maurice Jones-Drew

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-24-2007, 11:40 PM
people look to much at MJD's height.If you meet him personally you'll see hes built like a tank.

JF4
05-24-2007, 11:41 PM
I'd still want Reggie Bush, he's an absolute freak. I still think with a year or two more to get used to the NFL he will be the best in the league. He has the ability to do everything you need a RB to do in the NFL and to do it well. He is also the fastest man on the field for most of his games.

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-24-2007, 11:42 PM
I'll say Marshawn and Jackson will be the best running backs of this group.While Bush will be the best weapon.MJD is great but I dont see him in the same category as the other three.

Shiver
05-24-2007, 11:46 PM
1. Steven Jackson
2. Maurice Jones-Drew
3. Reggie Bush
4. Marshawn Lynch

critesy
05-24-2007, 11:54 PM
1. Steven Jackson
2. Maurice Jones-Drew
3. Reggie Bush
4. Marshawn Lynch

quoted for truth

putting jackson in here isnt fair though, come on now.

d34ng3l021
05-24-2007, 11:57 PM
1. Steven Jackson: Very tough runner. Has great hands. Lacks top end speed, but top end speed is overrated.

2. Reggie Bush: I like his versitality ALOT. He is a perfect weapon, that can create so many mismatches. He is terrible in running up the middle, but otherwise he creates a mismatch easily. If he can adapt to the NFL soon, he is going to be great.

3. MJD: Very close with Bush. He is basically what Bush is, except with power, and less speed, quickness, and versitality. Though he is worse than Bush in those areas, he is up there with the best in those categories. Very deceptive quick and powerful. If only Keak were here during his late season surge.

4. Marshawn Lynch: I really like him as a player. I felt like he was underrated going into the draft...he is a great runner with speed and power and has natural hands. Bills will have a very good player for a very long time.

no love
05-24-2007, 11:57 PM
quoted for truth

putting jackson in here isnt fair though, come on now.

From a statistical perspective no, jackson blows everyone out of the water. But as far as skill sets and capabilities I think all of the backs (speculation for Lynch) are on a very close level.

Everyone one of them is a great weapon no matter how you slice it, I don't think Jackson is that far ahead of any of those pros. But he does bruise you and wear you down which is the kind of smash mouth football I like to see.

Nightmares Win 6-0
05-25-2007, 12:37 AM
1. mjd
2. jackson
3. lynch
4. bush

bush is useless as a rb, so he automatically gets last place...if you would have been asking about slot receivers, it would be a different story...

Sniper
05-25-2007, 01:01 AM
Useless after one season? Tough crowd.

d34ng3l021
05-25-2007, 01:17 AM
1. mjd
2. jackson
3. lynch
4. bush

bush is useless as a rb, so he automatically gets last place...if you would have been asking about slot receivers, it would be a different story...

So if he lined up at runningback and split out and caught 80-90 passes, he is still useless?

Those receptions came from him being a mismatch on LBs or S in the passing game. Whether you like it or not, catching passes is also something a RB does.

johbur
05-25-2007, 02:03 AM
I am more into the game changing player:

1) Bush, look at how he changed the NO offense.
2) Jackson, by a hair over Maurice, due to the size thang.
3) Jones, What a steal for J-Ville. I love his game.
4) Lynch, I'd put just about any rookie at the bottom, as they haven't done anything in the league yet.

niel89
05-25-2007, 03:14 AM
1) Jackson- Its not really fair because he has had a few years to show what he can do, but i like his size, running style and catching ability. He has handled being a #1 and has shown the ability to block ect.

2) Maurice Drew- I've liked this guy since I since i saw him in high school. Love to that he is low to the ground and difficult to take down. Skilled at pass catching. Not as agile as Bush but i prefer a guy like Drew who can break tackles and can stick his head down. Hasnt been a #1 yet so will have to work on some of the finer points, but overall i really enjoy his play.

3)Bush- Very fast, very versatile. He will make people miss. He got placed in a great situation in NO paired w/ Deuce where he can come in and contribute his talents but not be in a high pressure position. Makes great mismatches in the passing game as well as a contributer on trick plays. Even when he doesnt get the ball you can see the effect of his presence on the defense. I think he could do better between the tackles but he did show improvement and i believe he will continue to get better. The only real reason he is below Drew is because i prefer backs who break tackles. Is a #1 but fits his role perfectly for now.

4) Lynch- He hasnt played an NFL down so he has no business being on this list, just like you couldnt put Calvin Johnson on a wr list.

TheChampIsHere
05-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Reggie Bush no question, whether or not he ever become a complete inside outside runner hes gonna go down in history as one of the best playmakers to ever play this game.

neko4
05-25-2007, 04:18 PM
MJD
His height is his greatest assett IMO
I would much rather have a short RB than a tall one
I really dont see how being tall helps RB's. I think it kinda hurts em
1-MJD
2-Bush/Jackson

keylime_5
05-25-2007, 04:21 PM
I love Mo Drew, but the obvious answer is Reggie Bush. However he's not an every down back, and he's more like a WR than a RB really, but carrying the ball he's still great. Of true RBs I like Drew and Jackson the best.

TouchdownUSC
05-25-2007, 04:29 PM
basing it on now:

1. Bush
2. Jackson
3. Lynch

if you asked me this question before seeing any of them in the NFL it would have been:

1. Bush
2. Lynch
3. Jackson

Woody56
05-25-2007, 04:55 PM
1. Steven Jackson
2. Maurice Jones-Drew
3. Reggie Bush
4. Marshawn Lynch

dhoe20
05-25-2007, 05:12 PM
1. Steven Jackson - Only proven player on the list
2. Maurice Jones Drew - Contender for RotY last year
3. Reggie Bush
4. Marshawn Lynch - Hasn't played a game yet...

I don't see how MJD wouldn't be top 2 in this list.

High Roller
05-26-2007, 09:29 AM
1. Steven Jackson - Most proven and is just nasty
2. MJD - Shifty and very versatile
3. Bush - Speed and makes people miss
4. Lynch - Will be a good RB but under these guys

neko4
05-26-2007, 09:47 AM
basing it on now:

1. Bush
2. Jackson
3. Lynch

if you asked me this question before seeing any of them in the NFL it would have been:

1. Bush
2. Lynch
3. Jackson
And how did u leave out MJD, Lynch hasnt eve played a game

BlindSite
05-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Man I hate people who say Bush can't be a feature back.

The Unseen
05-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Like someone said, Stephen Jackson isn't really fair in here. IMO, he's the clear #1.

I think MJD and Reggie are close, but I'll give MJD the edge for homer's sake. It's also unfair to put Lynch in here, because he's unproven.

San Diego Chicken
05-26-2007, 10:26 PM
Man I hate people who say Bush can't be a feature back.

Alot of people seem to think that. Regardless, he's going to get a chance to be a feature back sooner rather than later. New Orleans isn't paying him 60+ million to be a third down back.

JT Jag
05-26-2007, 11:53 PM
And how did u leave out MJD, Lynch hasnt eve played a gameHe's a USC fan. Figure it out.

I'm excluding Jackson from the list. He's far more proven then any of the others, and thus it will skew any judgment.

If you need a playmaking runningback...
1. Maurice Drew
2. Marshawn Lynch
3. Reggie Bush

If you just need a playmaker...
1. Reggie Bush
2. Maurice Drew
3. Marshawn Lynch

If I were doing this before any of them came out...
1. Reggie Bush
2. Marshawn Lynch
3. Maurice Drew

princefielder28
05-27-2007, 12:06 AM
Steven Jackson is still young and has proven he's a double threat; I choose him

ATLDirtyBirds
05-27-2007, 08:15 AM
1. Bush
2. S-Jax
3. Mo Drew
4. Marshawn

My overall rankings are different, but as a Falcons fan, Bush has to be number one. The reason for that is with a crazy offense like Petrino's, having Bush and Vick on the field would be insane.

etk
05-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Can't pick between Drew or Jackson. They're too good to choose one.

TheMikey10
05-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Mojo
Jackson
Reggie Bush
Marshawn

They are all real good RBs though, i think marshawn will be special, but its a great set of RBs

nobodyinparticular
05-29-2007, 12:31 AM

And why?

I'll take JJ Arrington with a side of Reuben Droughns please.