PDA

View Full Version : Was Penny the face of the NBA in his prime? is he the GOAT to not become a GOAT?

-black
05-25-2007, 12:18 PM
or is it Grant Hill? or someone else?

I remember Penny was one of the most popular players in the NBA in the 90's and I remember reading some magazine that said Penny's popularity even surpassed Jordan at one point. Some say the league was promoting Grant Hill to take the torch from Jordan and become the face of the NBA, but Penny's popularity continued to rise.

a comparison someone told me was

Grant Hill is Lebron James
and Penny is D-Wade

the league is pushing Lebron just like they did Grant, but Wade's popularity has seemingly become just as high.

remember Penny had the commercials

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fe-TEQ0yMN0&mode=related&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AK88MQWsYj8&mode=related&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q3Wv1WzPBDs&mode=related&search=

i remember when playing basketball, everyone use to fight over who is Penny...not Jordan or Grant, but everyone would be like "i'm Penny"...and who didnt have one of these

http://www.starstruck.com/Images/gallery/Product/SSSortImgs/P0024617.jpg

and who could forget what he could do ON the court. He was just a dominant all around playmaker. Kobe could not guard him at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJNm9DUDs8k

so do you think he was the face that was suppose to take over after MJ? is he the best player to not become one of the best of all time? or did this belong to Grant Hill?

http://slamonline.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/30penny.jpg

ricky bobby
05-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Would it be possible to create a separate section of this forum for just Basketball threads?

BuckNaked
05-25-2007, 12:24 PM
I always remember being a huge Penny fan. I had the little Penny.

RyanLeaf#1
05-25-2007, 12:25 PM
He was good with the Orlando Magic. Was really hyped up with Nike was in Blue Chips the movie as Butch Mcrae. I guess the highlight of his career is beating the Bulls to get to the NBA championship.

-black
05-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Would it be possible to create a separate section of this forum for just Basketball threads?

they really should......

-black
05-25-2007, 12:27 PM
injuries took out both Penny and Grant....and as an Orlando Magic fan, it feels like a curse :(

BuckNaked
05-25-2007, 12:28 PM
they really should......

If they di that they would have to make one for baseball too. I actually think it would be a good idea to have an "other sports" section.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
I'd give it to Grant Hill by a hair.

A name that I'd like to throw out here, not because this person was hampered by injuries or could have been the GOAT, but because he is SEVERELY underrated in my opinion is Mitch Richmond.

Wikipedia:
Richmond is one of only seven players in NBA history to average at least 21 points per game for his first 10 seasons – along with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Michael Jordan, Wilt Chamberlain, Oscar Robertson, Shaquille O'Neal and Allen Iverson.

Michael Jordan said Richmond was one of the hardest players to defend in the NBA. "There really are no weaknesses in his game," said Jordan. "He can drive to the hoop as well as take the outside jump shot. He reminds me a lot of me in his overall offensive display."

You never hear Richmond's name when people are discussing all-time greats, which is sad, because he definitely deserves at least a mention.

Paul
He was pretty sick in Orlando. I remember everybody was trying to do his crosses. He had the commercial, the girl (Tyra Banks) and the hype at that time, and Michael Jordan was in Minors, I believe, so yeah for a split second he was kind of the face. Not to sure if he was ever the GOAT though.

Hawk
05-25-2007, 12:47 PM
he could've been minus the injuries. he was a badass

Nitschke-Hawk
05-25-2007, 12:48 PM
I was a big Penny fan as a young'n. Loved him and Shaq tearin it up. I think I might've had a Penny jersey, but I know I had 2 or 3 pieces of Magic apparel.

ccB
05-25-2007, 01:25 PM
Penny Hardaway is probably my favorite NBA player of all time.

PalmerToCJ
05-25-2007, 01:29 PM
I was a pretty big Penny fan, I had his sweet shoes when I was like 12.

Scar
05-25-2007, 01:36 PM
Penny was this close to being one of the league's marquee players for a couple years, if he hadn't gotten hurt, he just may have. Problem is that he played in Shaq's shadow for all of his healthy years and never really got the full star billing. Definitely one of the most entertaining players to watch while in his prime though.

BigDawg819
05-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Penny Hardaway was electric in the 90's and him teaming with Shaq really kindled my love for the NBA game. If not for injuries, Penny would have been a huge star in this league and would have won some rings. Hell of a player and a nice guy as well, you can't ask for much more and wish more players were like him.

ricky bobby
05-25-2007, 01:40 PM
Penny Hardaway was electric in the 90's and him teaming with Shaq really kindled my love for the NBA game. If not for injuries, Penny would have been a huge star in this league and would have won some rings. Hell of a player and a nice guy as well, you can't ask for much more and wish more players were like him.
Didn't he recently lash out agianst ****? I can't remember if it was him or somebody else.

Paul
05-25-2007, 01:42 PM
Didn't he recently lash out agianst ****? I can't remember if it was him or somebody else.

It was Tim Hardaway.

-black
05-25-2007, 01:52 PM
Penny was this close to being one of the league's marquee players for a couple years, if he hadn't gotten hurt, he just may have. Problem is that he played in Shaq's shadow for all of his healthy years and never really got the full star billing. Definitely one of the most entertaining players to watch while in his prime though.

i'd say Penny was more popular then Shaq. Of course he was not as valuable or dominant, but i dont think Shaq was more of a "star" in Orlando then Penny and def dont agree that he didnt get "star billing". With all the sponsers, commericals, shoesjersey sales (which were more than Jordans at one point), and endorsements I think Penny was one of the NBA 's (if not the biggest for a year) star.

Scar
05-25-2007, 02:00 PM
I can't speak of his local fanbase, but nationally, Penny was always an afterthought compared to Shaq when they were both on the Magic. Then, when Shaq went to L.A., and it was Penny's chance to have it be his team, he got hurt. There were just a number of factors that kept the guy from ever reaching the top. He also might've been wise, in terms of his legacy, to just retire after the injuries instead of continuing to play on as a shell of his former self.

Windy
05-25-2007, 02:05 PM
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/5913/lil2.jpg

dabears10
05-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Huh, Lil Penny was voiced by Chris Rock. Go figure.

-black
05-25-2007, 02:15 PM
if his jerseys were the most selling in the NBA and had one of the top selling shoes and a ish load of endorsements then how wasnt he a star nationally?

Scar
05-25-2007, 02:18 PM
He was never THE star nationally. Always in someone's shadow.

Jay
05-25-2007, 02:19 PM
I lived just outside Memphis for about nine months, and it happened to be during the time when Penny played at Memphis State. I got to meet him at a bank where they had an autograph signing, and I was always a fan after that. I was always an Orlando Magic fan more than the Celtics because of him and Shaq... and I didn't really go to being a full fledged Celtics fan again until Penny was out of Orlando...

-black
05-25-2007, 02:20 PM
Shaq was more dominant and of course a more important basketball player...but he was not a bigger star than Penny.

would you say D wade is less of a star than Shaq? (as for as endorsing and NBA celebrity wise)

Scar
05-25-2007, 02:33 PM
Look, to answer the questions:
No, Penny was never the face of the NBA. On the court, he was always in Shaq's shadow. He never marketed by the league as hard as Grant Hill. He didn't even get the rookie hype that Chris Webber generated. Injuries cut his career far too short to even mention him as GOAT material. He was very briefly a very good player in the league, but that's it. 20-50 years from now, Shaq & MJ will still be household names, just like the legends from earlier decades are now. Penny Hardaway will be the answer to a trivia question. Nice guy, good player, not meaning to disrepect the guy at all, but he's simply not one of the game's greats.

-black
05-25-2007, 03:17 PM
who ever said he was one of the games greats? maybe you dont understand the question asked. Is he the BEST player to NOT become one of the best players......get it now?

being the face of the NBA does not mean the best player in the NBA, and being in Shaqs shadow as a "impact player" has no bearings on his success as a NBA star/celebrity. Jordan called Penny the NBA's biggest star.

On a 1996 telecast of NBA on NBC Michael Jordan said that Hardaway was the player he felt comfortable passing the torch of greatness down to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_Hardaway

Penny's shoe sold more than Jordans and had the number 1 selling jersey. With Shaq missing a big portion of the 95 season Penny still finished 3rd in MVP voting. How was he "just a very good player" and not "the star" when he and Grant Hill were consistently the two biggest young stars in the league?

Scar
05-25-2007, 03:36 PM
You may have just said it best yourself.

Penny still finished 3rd in MVP voting.

#3. Like I've been saying, the guy had a couple seasons when we was very good, but he was never THE man. Never THE face of the league. Never THE biggest star. His career was cut short before he had the chance.

-black
05-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Kobe has never won a MVP award...neither had Lebron. They still can be considered by many as the face of the league. Nash is NOT the NBA's biggest star and does not have more star power than Bron, Kobe, or Wade.

Damix
05-25-2007, 03:46 PM
Look, to answer the questions:
No, Penny was never the face of the NBA. On the court, he was always in Shaq's shadow. He never marketed by the league as hard as Grant Hill. He didn't even get the rookie hype that Chris Webber generated. Injuries cut his career far too short to even mention him as GOAT material. He was very briefly a very good player in the league, but that's it. 20-50 years from now, Shaq & MJ will still be household names, just like the legends from earlier decades are now. Penny Hardaway will be the answer to a trivia question. Nice guy, good player, not meaning to disrepect the guy at all, but he's simply not one of the game's greats.

snuff would like to say that you are a dumb ass.

That is all.

duckseason
05-25-2007, 04:06 PM
I can't speak for the entire nation, but out here Penny was far more popular among fans than Shaq was. Like Black is saying, Penny was THE man for a minute. It doesn't sound like Scar was paying much attention at that time. Sounds more like the perspective of somebody who looked back on the era, rather than viewed it first hand.

dabears10
05-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Harold Miner anyone?

duckseason
05-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Harold Miner anyone?

What did he do? Win a dunk contest or two? I hear where your coming from with the hype though. We could mention JR Rider, among others as well.

cunningham06
05-26-2007, 12:24 AM
If anybody was the GOAT who didn't become the GOAT, it was Shawn Kemp. In terms of ability, he was second to none, including Michael Jordan according to some. He was a moron but a great bball player.

-black
05-26-2007, 12:43 AM
good point.....

nobodyinparticular
05-26-2007, 02:32 AM
I'd give it to Grant Hill by a hair.

A name that I'd like to throw out here, not because this person was hampered by injuries or could have been the GOAT, but because he is SEVERELY underrated in my opinion is Mitch Richmond.

Wikipedia:

You never hear Richmond's name when people are discussing all-time greats, which is sad, because he definitely deserves at least a mention.

UBER +REP!!!!!

Hooray! The reason most people don't talk about him is because he was stuck in Sactown (my favorite team all because of Mitch and Spud Webb). At the time, Sacramento was basically the Tampa Bay Devil Rays of the NBA. They never won and they just weren't in a large city at all. I remember picking up tickets to a Kings game for $2 at Target. Yeah...

But Mitch Richmond was the man. A true basketball player and I loved watching MJ and Mitch battle it out in games.

Windy
05-26-2007, 02:42 AM
UBER +REP!!!!!

Hooray! The reason most people don't talk about him is because he was stuck in Sactown (my favorite team all because of Mitch and Spud Webb). At the time, Sacramento was basically the Tampa Bay Devil Rays of the NBA. They never won and they just weren't in a large city at all. I remember picking up tickets to a Kings game for $2 at Target. Yeah...

But Mitch Richmond was the man. A true basketball player and I loved watching MJ and Mitch battle it out in games.

Bimbo Coles

SeanTaylorRIP
05-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Harold Miner anyone?

Dude are you serious Harold Miner was awful, he was worse than Fred Jones, and JR Rider was actually an Allstar caliber player for 7+ years.

jballa838
05-26-2007, 11:33 AM
The League was tougher to derail dynasties back then, especially when a certain "Airman" was on the team. Glen Rice used to be a pretty good shooter back in the day, and so was "big smooth" sam Perkins. i'll take them over kapono if all are in there primes.

EDIT: Kapono isn't in it yet, but probably will top out, and i didn't include Reggie because Reggie could mob on all at the same time. He could stroke.