PDA

View Full Version : Which NBA player will struggle the most when Father Time shows up?

Phrost
05-25-2007, 03:43 PM
Pretty basic. What NBA player will struggle when their athleticism starts to fade?

I say LeBron.

RoyHall#1
05-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Your question in your post and in the thread are different...

I'll say Kobe will excel when he is old... but shawn marion will see the level of his gameplay drastically drop.

BufFan71
05-25-2007, 03:46 PM
Iverson...u can already see it fading away

DChess
05-25-2007, 03:46 PM
julio franco

ricky bobby
05-25-2007, 03:47 PM
They should just rename the off topic thread to NBA thread the way things are going.

Phrost
05-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Poll is up BTW.

ricky bobby
05-25-2007, 03:48 PM
julio franco
lol. QFT

But seriously - Iverson. Relies on his speed and quickness too much and that tends to fade away faster than other basketball attributes.

LitoSheppard
05-25-2007, 03:49 PM
LeBron James..He relys on his athletism the most of the group, not a great shooter or a smart player, just a dunking fast young beast.

RoyHall#1
05-25-2007, 03:53 PM
LeBron James..He relys on his athletism the most of the group, not a great shooter or a smart player, just a dunking fast young beast.

Who isn't when they are 22? He will develop the rest of his game in the next 3 years and have the complete package. He will have a good 17-19 years in the NBA.

dabears10
05-25-2007, 03:53 PM

Yeah, but the difference between him and the others is experience. He hasn't fully developed his game. You could have said this about Kobe early in his career.

sweetness34
05-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Dirk. He's a one trick pony that can't do anything but score. Once he gets older, he's not going to have anything else to fall back on with his game.

-black
05-25-2007, 03:57 PM
I think Father time already showed up for T-Mac. My grandmother prolly has a stronger back then him

-black
05-25-2007, 03:59 PM
Dirk. He's a one trick pony that can't do anything but score. Once he gets older, he's not going to have anything else to fall back on with his game.

i dont see how. Larry Bird already showed as long as you can shoot, you dont have to have great athleticism in older age to still be effective. Most of these other guys rely on speed and dunking/slashing/penetration ability to be succesful

Phrost
05-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Interesting, as I thought most people think that the pure shooters will be fine but those that depend on slashing, penetration, and dunking will struggle.

My main fear is that LeBron will be unable to adjust his game if he begins to lose his speed/burst because his shot just isn't that good yet.

keylime_5
05-25-2007, 04:15 PM
I think LeBron will play until he's 35 or so. That would make him have a 17 year career. By the time he's 25 or 26 he will emerge as the hands down best player in the league and will probably have at least one title by then. He's like Michael Jordan except a lot bigger and faster. Of course he'll wear down in his 30s, but he'll still be good.

For the people who say Iverson, well he's already in his early 30s and still among the top 5 in the league scoring wise, so it's kinda already proven that he was good with age. I think Nowitski will fade with age. Big guy who relies on his jumper, sounds like a guy who will disappear after he hits 33.

duckseason
05-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Wait, Dirk is athletic?

sweetness34
05-25-2007, 04:18 PM
i dont see how. Larry Bird already showed as long as you can shoot, you dont have to have great athleticism in older age to still be effective. Most of these other guys rely on speed and dunking/slashing/penetration ability to be succesful

And most of the other guys on that list can do something other than score.

duckseason
05-25-2007, 04:21 PM
"When their athleticism starts to fade"

With that in mind, I'd say Iverson. If he weren't so athletic, he'd be very easy to defend. The bigger guys would have an easier time getting by without their quickness and other athletic attributes.

ShutDwn
05-25-2007, 04:31 PM
It is a pretty obvious trend that as players get older their jumpshot gets a lot better. So, Lebron will be fine.

Why is Baron Davis or Billups on this list?

Phrost
05-25-2007, 04:35 PM
It is a pretty obvious trend that as players get older their jumpshot gets a lot better. So, Lebron will be fine.

Why is Baron Davis or Billups on this list?

Just fillers.

jballa838
05-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Tony Parker. Won't be able to drive forever and has no long range and a horrible midrange j.

duckseason
05-25-2007, 05:01 PM
Tony Parker. Won't be able to drive forever and has no long range and a horrible midrange j.

I agree about the fact that driving to the bucket is a huge part of his game, but you're wrong about his long and midrange game. Dude shot 40% from behind the arc this year.

scottyboy
05-25-2007, 05:02 PM
i think father time is starting to hit Vince Carter...

or hes just awful in the clutch...

SeanTaylorRIP
05-25-2007, 05:08 PM
I want to say LeBron but it's easily Dirk. If he loses power in his legs he will no longer be able to shoot which is all he can do, and his rebounding will be worse.

Phrost
05-25-2007, 05:11 PM
I want to say LeBron but it's easily Dirk. If he loses power in his legs he will no longer be able to shoot which is all he can do, and his rebounding will be worse.

My friend, your hatred for LeBron is unprecedented.

Damix
05-25-2007, 05:12 PM
All the damn NBA threads =(

and I think its Wade, he doesn't shoot well enough.

duckseason
05-25-2007, 05:14 PM

So what happens to a guy like AI if his legs are too weak to shoot anymore? Once your legs are that weak, you won't be able to do anything else anyway. In other words, your shot is the last thing to go. So outside shooters should last the longest, while guys who rely on their quickness should be the first to go. Just my opinion, but I think it's logical.

Phrost
05-25-2007, 05:15 PM
So what happens to a guy like AI if his legs are too weak to shoot anymore? Once your legs are that weak, you won't be able to do anything else anyway. In other words, your shot is the last thing to go. So outside shooters should last the longest, while guys who rely on their quickness should be the first to go. Just my opinion, but I think it's logical.

Your sig quote is amazing by the way.

duckseason
05-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Your sig quote is amazing by the way.
Glad you like it. Not sure that it amazes me, as it's merely a quote, but I do agree with it.

Nitschke-Hawk
05-25-2007, 08:20 PM
I have no idea.

On the subject of Dirk, he isn't athletic to begin with, but I think he'll develop more low post game. So he'll still have his range but he'll be more of a true PF in my opinion. This will offset the loss of whatever agility he has by being able to score more ways, plus nobody can block his shot outside anyway.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-25-2007, 08:24 PM
I think it's Baron Davis. His game relies on his speed and strength going to the rack. Without it, he'll be thrusting up 20 foot jumpers all game long.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Glad you like it. Not sure that it amazes me, as it's merely a quote, but I do agree with it.

I think he's talking about the Jonathan Stewart "Can You Survive The Storm?" one.

Phrost
05-25-2007, 09:38 PM
I think he's talking about the Jonathan Stewart "Can You Survive The Storm?" one.

Nope the Jefferson one actually :). The sig pic is amazing too.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-26-2007, 08:58 AM
I think it's Baron Davis. His game relies on his speed and strength going to the rack. Without it, he'll be thrusting up 20 foot jumpers all game long.

Same can be said about LeBron though and almost any other explosive player. I'd take Baron's jumper over LeBrons any day.

bantx
05-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Same can be said about LeBron though and almost any other explosive player. I'd take Baron's jumper over LeBrons any day.

baron is 28 bron bron is 22, he still has time to develop a shot.