PDA

View Full Version : Steelers are running a 3-4

Mr. Stiller
05-26-2007, 07:01 PM
People may not care, but i'm really tired of seeing us referred to in peoples writeups as:

"Tomlin prefers the 4-3 Cover2 and I don't think they'll run it very well this season"

We're running a 3-4. Woodley will slide up occasionally and we'll run a hybrid 3-4/4-3 system, but we're not running a 4-3 base formation or often.

mqtirishfan
05-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Yep, they have a Defensive coordinator for a reason, and LeBeau isn't going to just change his defense.

diabsoule
05-26-2007, 07:47 PM
Plus, as BBD has pointed out, it is feasible to run a 3-4 Cover 2.

jkpigskin
05-26-2007, 08:19 PM
if you have the personal, it really doesnt matter wat u call it, but the steelers probably run alot of different looks

High Roller
05-26-2007, 10:08 PM
I can see a Hybrid...a little of both. However, i think they would be more successful with 34 because of their personell.

Shiver
05-26-2007, 11:15 PM
I think they will mix it up. This year they run a hybrid, versatile, scheme. Next year you can fully switch to the 4-3.

Hurricane Ditka
05-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Plus, as BBD has pointed out, it is feasible to run a 3-4 Cover 2.
Cover 2 just means thre are two safeties back, you could run Cover 2 from a 7-2 defensive front if you wanted. Tomlin's from the Tampa 2, the Dungy varriant, with a Cover 2 base. The common misconception is that Cover 2 only refers to the Tampa 2.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-27-2007, 12:24 AM
A full switch to a 3-4 would be disastrous the way the team is built right now. I think Tomlin will use it on pass downs and try and integrate as best he can, especially towards the latter part of the season.

They are going to run the 3-4 primarily as far as I can tell, at least for the first half of the season.

awfullyquiet
05-27-2007, 12:43 AM
who knows. tomlin might (yes might), revolutionize and start a 3-4 cover two trend.

or they might just say, wtf, we'll switch to 4-3 because it's sooooo awesome. they won't have the personnel to do it for at least two years. look at how long its taken san francisco to do it? dallas?

but this is the same pgh we're talking about...

diabsoule
05-27-2007, 04:21 AM
Cover 2 just means thre are two safeties back, you could run Cover 2 from a 7-2 defensive front if you wanted. Tomlin's from the Tampa 2, the Dungy varriant, with a Cover 2 base. The common misconception is that Cover 2 only refers to the Tampa 2.

Oh, I know. I think the Steelers would be fine if they used a Cover 2 but I don't think Tomlin is looking to switch to the Tampa 2 any time soon especially after the players he drafted this year, specifically LaMarr Woodley, who they have said will be used as and OLB.

Dam8610
05-27-2007, 04:58 AM
Oh, I know. I think the Steelers would be fine if they used a Cover 2 but I don't think Tomlin is looking to switch to the Tampa 2 any time soon especially after the players he drafted this year, specifically LaMarr Woodley, who they have said will be used as and OLB.

LaMarr Woodley could very easily become a Tampa 2 end, and Lawrence Timmons fits the bill of a Tampa 2 LB very well. They probably won't switch this year or maybe even next year, but the personnel they drafted in April doesn't neccessarily indicate that they plan to stick with a base 3-4 for a long time.

Smooth Criminal
05-27-2007, 07:52 AM
I can see a Hybrid...a little of both. However, i think they would be more successful with 34 because of their personell.

Think Baltimore's style of defense and thats what your likely to see next year.

Smooth Criminal
05-27-2007, 07:53 AM
who knows. tomlin might (yes might), revolutionize and start a 3-4 cover two trend.

or they might just say, wtf, we'll switch to 4-3 because it's sooooo awesome. they won't have the personnel to do it for at least two years. look at how long its taken san francisco to do it? dallas?

but this is the same pgh we're talking about...

Cover 2 is only a coverage. We ran the cover 2 alot last year with Smith and Polamalu back in deep coverage.

tom
05-27-2007, 08:18 AM
This is insane... why would we completely modify our D?

Think about it, we get two new linebackers in rounds 1 and 2, one in the mold of porter, one in the mold of farrior. We re-sign Aaron Smith to a huge contract, and he wouldn't be an effective player in 4-3... we paid the guy cause he's ideal for the system we'll run. And don't get me started on the safeties... Troy would go to waste in the cover two. This is a guy that should roam the field. Casey Hampton is purely a NT. He'd be good in any system, but he's great in the 3-4. Haggans and Foote are up and comers. Smith has been impressive for a 2nd year player at FS, and Ike is built for coverage... No chance we change the system

Don Vito
05-27-2007, 09:34 AM
LaMarr Woodley could very easily become a Tampa 2 end, and Lawrence Timmons fits the bill of a Tampa 2 LB very well. They probably won't switch this year or maybe even next year, but the personnel they drafted in April doesn't neccessarily indicate that they plan to stick with a base 3-4 for a long time.

Yea they definitely did add some players who fit well into the tampa 2 like Timmons (OLB), Woodley (OLB), and McBean (as a DT fits the bill well). But they have a lot of other guys who don't really look like ideal tampa 2 guys. They could possibly succeed, but Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, and Brent Keisel look like awkward fits. Their top 3 corners (McFadden, Taylor, Colclough) aren't as solid against the run as you look for a tampa 2 CB to be. Clark Haggans and Jerome Harrison are solid rushers as 3-4 OLBs, but neither look to have the size to hold up at end or the ability to play tampa 2 OLB. Harrison could possibly play SLB in the scheme but I don't really see it. They look to be built for a 3-4 and the rookies, even though they have tampa 2 potential, look to be good 3-4 guys as well.

Mr. Stiller
05-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Yea they definitely did add some players who fit well into the tampa 2 like Timmons (OLB), Woodley (OLB), and McBean (as a DT fits the bill well). But they have a lot of other guys who don't really look like ideal tampa 2 guys. They could possibly succeed, but Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, and Brent Keisel look like awkward fits. Their top 3 corners (McFadden, Taylor, Colclough) aren't as solid against the run as you look for a tampa 2 CB to be. Clark Haggans and Jerome Harrison are solid rushers as 3-4 OLBs, but neither look to have the size to hold up at end or the ability to play tampa 2 OLB. Harrison could possibly play SLB in the scheme but I don't really see it. They look to be built for a 3-4 and the rookies, even though they have tampa 2 potential, look to be good 3-4 guys as well.

Aaron Smith would be a good UT to pair next to Hampton. As would McBean.

Casey Hampton, I don't know why everyone thinks in a 4-3 he'd be useless, he's a hold the point run plugger, with another guy on the line, thats less Double teams, he's athletic enough to get into the backfield.

Brett Keisel put up great stats in a 3-4 as a part time Passrusher from the RDE spot. I think he could be an Aaron Schobel like pass rusher, not the great Physical aspect, but the non-stop motor.

Which is likely what it will look at during times Woodley comes up from LB to put his hand down...

At which Timmons/Harrison will be WLB, Foote will be MLB and Farrior SLB.

Komp
05-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Casey Hampton, I don't know why everyone thinks in a 4-3 he'd be useless, he's a hold the point run plugger, with another guy on the line, thats less Double teams, he's athletic enough to get into the backfield.

I agree with this whole heartedly. Casey Hampton would do a lot of damage on the linein either a 4-3 or a 3-4.

cunningham06
05-27-2007, 11:58 AM

Lawrence Timmons was underrated as a 3-4 OLB prospect. I thought he was one of the best 3-4 OLB prospects besides Jarvis Moss in the draft. The personnel the Steelers have at LB is intriguing because it allows them a great deal of versitility. At LB I don't see any problem for them going from 3-4 to 4-3, but the secondary and D-Line just aren't built for that system.

stephenson86
05-27-2007, 02:52 PM
alot of their success comes from running the 3-4, why change it?

Mr. Stiller
05-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Lawrence Timmons was underrated as a 3-4 OLB prospect. I thought he was one of the best 3-4 OLB prospects besides Jarvis Moss in the draft. The personnel the Steelers have at LB is intriguing because it allows them a great deal of versitility. At LB I don't see any problem for them going from 3-4 to 4-3, but the secondary and D-Line just aren't built for that system.

Secondary doesn't change? We run a Zone Coverage... In a Tampa2 it would still be a zone coverage.

As for DL...

DL (L to R): Aaron Smith - Casey Hampton - Brett Keisel
LB (L to R): LaMarr Woodley - James Farrior - Larry Foote - James Harrison
DB (L to R): Ike Taylor - Troy Polamalu - Anthony Smith - Bryant McFadden

4-3:

DL (L to R): LaMarr Woodley - Aaron Smith - Casey Hampton - Brett Keisel
LB (L to R): James Farrior - Larry Foote - James Harrison

Brett Keisel is an underrated pass rusher and he's going to be a weapon to keep your eye on.

Aaron Smith fits the UT position perfectly.

Woodley is a perfect Tampa2 DE. He's more complete than Dwight Freeney. Freeney sells out for the QB, Woodley actually plays the run as well as rush the passer.

Hampton is one of the best NT's in the NFL, I don't get why people think he's limited to a 3-4, I think he might even be more of a beast in a 4-3 where he has less double teams.

DaBears9654
05-27-2007, 11:14 PM
I personally think, in the zone blitz, the Steelers run the perfect scheme for the 3-4 formation. I also agree with what diabsoule mentioned about how you could get away with a cover 2 3-4. The scheme I think would be poorest in combination with this formation would be the 2 deep, man under. I know teams that use this formation almost always rush at least 1 linebacker, but that is pretty well how you would have to do it with that scheme/formation combination; otherwise, your man-to-man cover men would outnumber the eligible receivers 6-5.

The common misconception is that Cover 2 only refers to the Tampa 2.
That's because, at least it seems, it's the most common variety of the cover 2.