PDA

View Full Version : The Next Batch of Coaches

Philliez01
05-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Well, while we are in the lull between the draft and TC/Fantasy Football, I thought this would be an interesting topic.

This year we will be seeing the following as rookie HCs:

Lane Kiffin
Bobby Petrino
Ken Whisenhunt
Mike Tomlin
Cam Cameron

With that being said, who do you guys see as being the future HCs in the NFL? Keep in mind, use rookie HCs.

Obviously we know that Jason Garrett will eventually be a HC for Dallas (or at least we think). Both Ryan brothers are also in contention for a HC job (Carolina? Cleveland?) as well as Jim Caldwell.

Woody56
05-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Jets OC Brian Schottenheimer

BlindSite
05-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Obviously we know that Jason Garrett will eventually be a HC for Dallas (or at least we think). Both Ryan brothers are also in contention for a HC job (Carolina? Cleveland?) as well as Jim Caldwell.

John Fox just signed an extension and we all love him in Carolina, so there's no pressure on him to do well.

He took a team that was 1-15 then had them in the superbowl in his second year, then got us back to the NFCCG a year after massive amounts of injuries.

He's a great HC and Carolina isn't getting rid of him.

Don't just throw team names out there.

That said, I think in a few years Jeff Davidson will get a lot of consideration.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
05-26-2007, 07:29 PM
If Gary Gibbs can make the Saints defense one of the best in the league, he deserves a head coaching job (and a HOF induction).

elway777
05-26-2007, 07:31 PM
Ummmm Mike Singletary anyone?

BlindSite
05-26-2007, 07:34 PM
Ummmm Mike Singletary anyone?

Apparently he's said time and time again he just wants to coach linebackers. Which sucks. BUT, its a lock now that Patrick Willis is gonna kick serious ass.

princefielder28
05-26-2007, 07:35 PM
I was suprised when Gary Gibbs didn't get any interviews this year so he's my number one choice

diabsoule
05-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Here's my list, it hasn't changed much since I last posted it:

Brian Schottenheimer, Jets OC
Rex Ryan, Ravens DC
Rob Ryan, Raiders DC
Mike Trgovac, Panthers DC
Jim Caldwell, Colts QB Coach
Russ Grimm, Cardinals O-line Coach (in a few years he won't be in contention)
Pete Carroll, USC HC (as long as he continues his success his name will keep being rumored for NFL HC vacancies)
Josh McDaniels, Patriots OC (due to success of former Belichick personnel, this man will probably be considered in a few years.)
Ron Rivera, Chargers LB Coach (his name has been rumored repeatedly these past few years. I feel it's only a matter of time some team takes a gamble on him.)
Jason Garrett, Cowboys OC
Jim Bates, Broncos DC (in a few years he won't be considered due to his age. His time might already be up due to age.)
Gary Gibbs, Saints DC (interviewed this year for a few positions. Will not likely be considered until he shows he can have continued success as a DC)
Bob Babich, Bears DC
Mike Singletary, 49ers LB coach
Norm Chow, Titans OC

WMD
05-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Ron Rivera should be a head coach in the NFL very soon...

BlindSite
05-26-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm actually surprised Trgovac hasn't had more interest.

In 02, 03, 05 and 06 the team's had a top5/10 defense. He's been at the helm for three of those years and done pretty well.

He's not that popular in carolina because they like to blame him when an offense converts a third down against us, but whatever. He's not even been interviewed I don't think.

diabsoule
05-26-2007, 07:44 PM
I'm actually surprised Trgovac hasn't had more interest.

In 02, 03, 05 and 06 the team's had a top5/10 defense. He's been at the helm for three of those years and done pretty well.

He's not that popular in carolina because they like to blame him when an offense converts a third down against us, but whatever. He's not even been interviewed I don't think.

I've noticed his success and have been surprised as well. He usually has very good defenses and is a good play caller. Some team will catch on and notice his success unless Carolina is keeping him around in case they want to make a coaching change in the next few years.

sweetness34
05-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Ron Rivera should be a head coach in the NFL very soon...

I was just about to say that. He'll take Turners job in San Diego.

Gridiron
05-26-2007, 07:51 PM
Jets OC Brian Schottenheimer
I hope to hell Daboll can replace him well.

diabsoule
05-26-2007, 07:52 PM
I was just about to say that. He'll take Turners job in San Diego.

I doubt Turner lasts 3 years in SD. Rivera should be a good match in SD with their personnel.

BlindSite
05-26-2007, 07:58 PM
I've noticed his success and have been surprised as well. He usually has very good defenses and is a good play caller. Some team will catch on and notice his success unless Carolina is keeping him around in case they want to make a coaching change in the next few years.

John Fox is here for another 5 at least if he serves out his contract.

The Unseen
05-26-2007, 07:58 PM
To continue the homer theme, although it's weird to be a homer about it since it would mean he would leave, but...

Mike Smith has done a very good job here, and it makes me wonder if he gets any consideration in the future. There's always the idea that it's more Del Rio than him, but he's still accomplished and with a good resume.

sweetness34
05-26-2007, 08:06 PM
I doubt Turner lasts 3 years in SD. Rivera should be a good match in SD with their personnel.

That's why I said "take" his job. I doubt Turner lasts 2 years personally, and Rivera would be a damn good head coach.

Edit: Btw I don't think Babich is going anywhere anytime soon to be honest. I think he's the Bears' DC for a loonng time.

diabsoule
05-26-2007, 08:08 PM
That's why I said "take" his job. I doubt Turner lasts 2 years personally, and Rivera would be a damn good head coach.

Edit: Btw I don't think Babich is going anywhere anytime soon to be honest. I think he's the Bears' DC for a loonng time.

The reason I put Babich's name down is because he deserves a look at being a head coach, it doesn't mean that he'll become one any time soon. Hell, I think Jim Bates would make a great HC but I doubt he becomes one.

Auron
05-26-2007, 08:10 PM
I was suprised when Gary Gibbs didn't get any interviews this year so he's my number one choice
I believe he interviewed for the Chargers, and Cowboys jobs this off-season.

In his first year as D-Coordinator he managed to bring the Saints Defense up surprisingly to 11th in total Defense, (although it seemed lower) and managed to lower the Points per Game allowed to 20.1 PPG, from 24.9 PPG the previous year.

I'm interested to see how he does this season, the players are coming into their 2nd year in the system. Hopefully he'll be able to lower the amount of big plays allowed.

sweetness34
05-26-2007, 08:16 PM
The reason I put Babich's name down is because he deserves a look at being a head coach, it doesn't mean that he'll become one any time soon. Hell, I think Jim Bates would make a great HC but I doubt he becomes one.

Oh no problem, but just saying that it's doubtful he becomes one. I can see why people would say that about him though, he's going to be a helluva DC for us.

Philliez01
05-26-2007, 08:21 PM
Don't just throw team names out there.

That said, I think in a few years Jeff Davidson will get a lot of consideration.

I agree on Davidson. . . .

I wasn't just throwing "team names out there", I was unaware that Fox was given an extension.

neko4
05-26-2007, 08:30 PM
I think if he decides too, Jerry Rice could make a great WR, not OC or HC though

SenorGato
05-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Personally, I think the two ridiculously young O-coaches in the AFC East should see alot of offers in the future.

IMO, Brian Schottenheimer could be the best offensive coordinator in the league in a couple of years, but I'm not sure he won't leave to be a HC before then.

McDaniels will be considered because of BB, but he'll be in NE for a while. He's very young and needs significant experience.

remix 6
05-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Here's my list, it hasn't changed much since I last posted it:

Brian Schottenheimer, Jets OC
Rex Ryan, Ravens DC
Rob Ryan, Raiders DC
Mike Trgovac, Panthers DC
Jim Caldwell, Colts QB Coach
Russ Grimm, Cardinals O-line Coach (in a few years he won't be in contention)
Pete Carroll, USC HC (as long as he continues his success his name will keep being rumored for NFL HC vacancies)
Josh McDaniels, Patriots OC (due to success of former Belichick personnel, this man will probably be considered in a few years.)
Ron Rivera, Chargers LB Coach (his name has been rumored repeatedly these past few years. I feel it's only a matter of time some team takes a gamble on him.)
Jason Garrett, Cowboys OC
Jim Bates, Broncos DC (in a few years he won't be considered due to his age. His time might already be up due to age.)
Gary Gibbs, Saints DC (interviewed this year for a few positions. Will not likely be considered until he shows he can have continued success as a DC)
Bob Babich, Bears DC
Mike Singletary, 49ers LB coach
Norm Chow, Titans OC

lolololololol Josh McDaniels! he blows..trust me. as a Patriot fan..i had to suffer with his terrible playcalling. he lets dillon run outside..forces maroney inside..no playaction.

from Patriots u might see: Pepper Johnson (DL coach..ex player. hes a beast) or Dean Peas..its a common trend for our D Cord to do very well and go onto HC.

keylime_5
05-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Good idea for a topic.

I think next year Ryan from Baltimore, Schottenheimer, and Jeff Fisher will get hired as replacements somewhere. Fisher's contract runs out and until something happens it doesn't look like Tennessee is gonna extend it.

remix 6
05-26-2007, 09:23 PM
Good idea for a topic.

I think next year Ryan from Baltimore, Schottenheimer, and Jeff Fisher will get hired as replacements somewhere. Fisher's contract runs out and until something happens it doesn't look like Tennessee is gonna extend it.

didnt Ryan just get a new contract from Ravens?

diabsoule
05-26-2007, 09:23 PM
lolololololol Josh McDaniels! he blows..trust me. as a Patriot fan..i had to suffer with his terrible playcalling. he lets dillon run outside..forces maroney inside..no playaction.

from Patriots u might see: Pepper Johnson (DL coach..ex player. hes a beast) or Dean Peas..its a common trend for our D Cord to do very well and go onto HC.

Pepper Johnson could probably be given a shot somewhere but not until way later.
Dean Peas is ancient. I highly doubt he will be given any consideration due to his age. The guy was born in 1949.
Josh McDaniels is young and still developing. He has a lot of room to improve esp. with someone like BB coaching him up.

remix 6
05-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Pepper Johnson could probably be given a shot somewhere but not until way later.
Dean Peas is ancient. I highly doubt he will be given any consideration due to his age. The guy was born in 1949.
Josh McDaniels is young and still developing. He has a lot of room to improve esp. with someone like BB coaching him up.

well hes not the next batch (McDaniels) then.

Norv Turner not a job at 55 years old..Peas aint much older

Crennel got a job few years ago and he was born in 1947..Peas can definatley get a lot of interest

Pepper Johnson can get it soon..hes 42 years old. DL coach since '04 i think ..was ILB coach from '01-'03 and also defensive assistant during 2000

Xonraider
05-26-2007, 09:34 PM
It is almost impossible to predict the next batch of coaches, because to do that you'd also have to guess which are going to be the worst teams next year AND which won't give a new chance to their coach.

Now, here is my input on Rob Ryan:
I think he is going to stay in Oakland for a long time. He loves the players and the players love him. Plus it took him over two years to build the defense into what it is now, and he still has more to do. This defense is completely his, and I don't see him leaving until some time.

21ST
05-26-2007, 09:40 PM
Al Saunders might be next in line in DC

Woody56
05-26-2007, 09:51 PM
well hes not the next batch (McDaniels) then.

Norv Turner not a job at 55 years old..Peas aint much older

Crennel got a job few years ago and he was born in 1947..Peas can definatley get a lot of interest

Pepper Johnson can get it soon..hes 42 years old. DL coach since '04 i think ..was ILB coach from '01-'03 and also defensive assistant during 2000

Suprised Dante Scarnecchia never got any offers as atleast as an o-coordinator, takes relative unknowns at o-line and gets very good production out of them. Very underrated coach.

remix 6
05-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Suprised Dante Scarnecchia never got any offers as atleast as an o-coordinator, takes relative unknowns at o-line and gets very good production out of them. Very underrated coach.

i believe he got interest but he rejected said he wants to be an OL coach and hes commited to Patriots 100%

High Roller
05-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Apparently he's said time and time again he just wants to coach linebackers. Which sucks. BUT, its a lock now that Patrick Willis is gonna kick serious ass.

The past few offseasons I've been hoping he stays. With the combo of Manusky/Singletary the niners D can turn around. Willis should be Singletary's Ray Lewis V2.

PalmerToCJ
05-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Rex Ryan will definetely get some looks soon.

Now my homer take: Bob Bratkowski (our OC) has recieved looks from Detriot and New Orleans for the HC job in the past and I expect the team to be very successful this year meaning he'll get even more looks.

Vince Lombardi
05-27-2007, 12:25 AM
Slightly off topic, but does anybody see Urban Meyers being able to successfully transition to the NFL at some point in the future, or is he destined to fail like the ole' ball coach before him?

Obviously the guy has a brilliant offensive mind, but he also relies on a lot of gimmicks. One could say that Belicheck, equally brilliant on the defensive side, relies on a lot of unconventional schemes also... now I'm not saying that Meyers is anywhere near Belichecks level, just that thinking outside of the box has some merit and shouldn't be immediately dismissed.

P-L
05-27-2007, 01:02 AM
I can't see Meyer's offense working in the NFL.

HawkeyeFan
05-27-2007, 03:14 AM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/ncf/2005/0201/photo/g_ferentz_i.jpg

awfullyquiet
05-27-2007, 03:26 AM
norm chow for sure.
i don't get it.

diabsoule
05-27-2007, 04:19 AM
I think it's only a matter of time before Kirk Ferentz goes to the NFL. And no, Meyer's offense will flop in the NFL just like Steve Spurrier's did.

tom
05-27-2007, 08:22 AM
Steelers O-coordinator Bruce Arians. You'll see.

etk
05-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Casey Bradley, Jimmy Lake, Raheem Morris. It's a copycat league and everyone just keeps stealing our defensive assistants.

Monte Kiffin keeps getting offered HC jobs but he always stays in Tampa.

Mr. Stiller
05-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Surprise no mention of Grimm.

tom
05-27-2007, 10:29 AM

He had his best shot with the steelers this year. I think a couple of teams will bring him in for a look-see, but he won't be a HC, till he becomes a OC, and I can't see that happening.

Staubach12
05-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Greg Manusky is a name I don't think anyone has mentioned. He helped develop San Diego LBs into some of the best, and now I think he'll really do some damage as coach of the entire defense in San Fransisco.

One guy I like that isn't mentioned much is Craig Johnson, the QB coach for the Titans. He helped develop Steve McNair into a great QB. He turned Billy Volek from a nobody to a solid QB. Now he's working with VY and having success. I wouldn't be surprised to see him move into the OC and even HC rankings in a few years.

diabsoule
05-27-2007, 04:39 PM

I mentioned Grimm on the first page.

Hawk
05-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Norm Chow and Jeff Jagodzinski. I know Jagodzinski was just hired at BC, but I dont see him lasting for the entire contract. I think Chow will eventually replace Fisher.

Ewing
05-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Good idea for a topic.

Fisher is staying in Tennessee until he retires. He's done too much for the team to simply be fired or released.

Acreboy
05-27-2007, 06:15 PM
I think if he decides too, Jerry Rice could make a great WR, not OC or HC thoughThey had rumors earlier that he wanted to be the WR coach at LSU before Crowton was hired and I was really excited but that rumor was proved to be false :(

Flyboy
05-28-2007, 04:06 AM
If Gary Gibbs can make the Saints defense one of the best in the league, he deserves a head coaching job (and a HOF induction).

It was the 11th best in the league last year...

teneight
05-28-2007, 04:34 AM
Bob ryan from oakland

jkb528
05-28-2007, 03:36 PM
I think Bobby April, the Bills Special Teams Coordinator will get some mention in the future. The Bills always have one of the top ST units in the league, and he was considered for the HC position in Buffalo a few years back when they brought Jauron in.

Mr. Stiller
05-29-2007, 10:12 AM
He had his best shot with the steelers this year. I think a couple of teams will bring him in for a look-see, but he won't be a HC, till he becomes a OC, and I can't see that happening.

Rumor had it that had the Broncos or Colts knocked us out of the playoffs he would be the HC of the Detroit Lions right now.