PDA

View Full Version : Top safetys

steelersfan43
05-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Well the corner discussion is doing well, and its the boring offseason, so rank your top 5 fs and ss!

BlindSite
05-28-2007, 11:29 PM
1. Brian Dawkins
2. Ed Reed
3. Adrian Wilson
4. Troy Polamalu
5. Shaun Taylor

cunningham06
05-28-2007, 11:35 PM
FS:
Ed Reed
Brian Dawkins
Bob Sanders
Sean Taylor
Kherry Rhodes

SS
Troy Polamalu
Adrian Wilson(very very close)
Chris Hope
Dawan Landry
Sean Jones

Don Vito
05-28-2007, 11:43 PM
FS-
1. Ed Reed (FS now)
2. Brian Dawkins
3. Sean Taylor
4. Kerry Rhodes
5. Madieu Williams (is gonna be a beast)

SS-
1. Adrian Wilson
2. Bob Sanders
3. Troy Polamalu
4. Roy Williams
5. Dawan Landry/Chris Hope/Mike Brown (when healthy)

Jensen
05-28-2007, 11:49 PM
FS:
1. Ed Reed
2. Brian Dawkins
3. Bob Sanders
4. Sean Taylor
5. Kerry Rhodes

SS:
1. Adrian Wilson
2. Troy Polamalu
3. Chris Hope
4. Mike Brown
5. Dawan Landry

sweetness34
05-29-2007, 12:25 AM
FS:
1. Ed Reed
2. Brian Dawkins
3. Bob Sanders
4. Sean Taylor
5. Kerry Rhodes

SS:
1. Adrian Wilson
2. Troy Polamalu
3. Chris Hope
4. Mike Brown
5. Dawan Landry

Nice to see Mike Brown getting some love. I hope he can stay healthy this year because he's a helluva player.

kmartin575
05-29-2007, 01:00 AM
Thank God nobody put John Lynch on that list. I hate how that hasbeen makes the probowl because of his name. The guy is a huge liability in the passing game.

nobodyinparticular
05-29-2007, 01:45 AM
Dawan Landry does not belong anywhere near any top 5 lists right now. Once again, people continue to overate "potential" over production.

kmartin575
05-29-2007, 02:35 AM
Dawan Landry does not belong anywhere near any top 5 lists right now. Once again, people continue to overate "potential" over production.

True. He had a good year last year but let's see if he can do it again.

stephenson86
05-29-2007, 07:19 AM
glad to see chris hope getting seen

High Roller
05-29-2007, 09:09 AM
1. Ed Reed
2. Brian Dawkins
3. Bob Sanders
4. Troy Polamalu
5. Sean Taylor

EdReedUnstoppable
05-29-2007, 09:10 AM
1. Ed Reed
2. Adrian Wilson
3. Brian Dawkins
4. Troy Polamalu
5. Darren Sharper

jkpigskin
05-29-2007, 09:35 AM

though i LOVE landry, NIP is right, but i love that he is getting recognized for his great year last year... i know he will be a beast for many years to come

cunningham06
05-29-2007, 01:59 PM

What? Landry had great production last season. 69 tackles, 3 sacks, 5 interceptions. He came in and started as a rookie and was excellent, he was one of the best defensive rookies last season. He's proved he can play, so I put him in my top 5 SS. He's not a top 5 safety but top 10 is by no means a stretch.

neko4
05-29-2007, 02:05 PM
1. Ed Reed
2. Adrian Wilson
3. Brian Dawkins
4. Troy Polamalu
5. Darren Sharper

What? Sharper over Taylor, Sharper cant tackle like he used to. The insticnts are still there just not the ability

My Prediction:

1-Ed Reed
2-Brian Dawkins
3-Sean Taylor
4-Adrian Wilson
5-Troy Polamalu
6-Madieu Williams
7-Bob Sanders
8-Darren Sharper
9-Roy Williams
10-Kerry Rhodes
11-Dawan Landry
12-Mike Brown
13-Chris Hope
14-Sean Jones
15-Nick Collins

princefielder28
05-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Ed Reed without a doubt is the top safety in league and Troy Polamalu is a solid 2nd

remix 6
05-29-2007, 02:19 PM
Top 5 FS

1. Reed
2. Dawkins
3. Rhodes
4. Taylor
5. Sanders

Top 5 SS
1. Wilson
2. Polamalu
3. Jones
4. Hope
5. Williams/Brown

Top 5 OVERALL
1. Reed
2. Wilson
3. Dawkins
4. Rhodes
5. Polamalu

go ahead and trash Roy but i think people underestimate his coverage sometimes. Hes still a presence..he gets picks..tackles. Brown when healthy is very good..i know hes not healthy enough but he played 12 games year before so if Sanders can be on people's lists..so can Mike Brown.

im not quiet sold on Landry being otp 5 yet..i have Whitner over him after the list

Jensen
05-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Ed Reed without a doubt is the top safety in league and Troy Polamalu is a solid 2nd

Why is Polamalu better than Wilson?

Shiver
05-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Sean Taylor is only making lists based on his name and talent. His play last year was no where near 'top-5.'

remix 6
05-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Sean Taylor is only making lists based on his name and talent. His play last year was no where near 'top-5.'

neither was Sanders..or Polamalu..or Brown

2 of those were hurt..1 had injuries on and off and wasnt dominant last year

Phrost
05-29-2007, 03:31 PM
Sean Taylor sucks, Ed Reed is the best.

Moses
05-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Sean Taylor sucks, Ed Reed is the best.

Easily the best post of all-time.

Phrost sucks, Moses is the best.

jkpigskin
05-29-2007, 03:38 PM
Easily the best post of all-time.

Phrost sucks, Moses is the best.

ahhahahaha

Since the consensus is reed at the top, the debate is for #2, and out of production i dont see how you can argue against Brian Dawkins..... THough he is getting old, he is still playing at a high lvl... sean taylor could easily become the best saftey if he got some discipline (i dont mean behavior, i mean on the field discipline.)

Mr. Stiller
05-29-2007, 03:40 PM

But of those 3, they've shown prior too injuries that they can be top 5.

JoeMontainya
05-29-2007, 03:43 PM
Just want to know why everyone is ranking Taylor as one of the best? It isnt because hes basically a LB playing S is it? He gets alot of tackles, but also gave up the 2nd most amount of recieving TD's in the entire NFL last year behind the Saints CB. That tells me he is darn horrid in coverage, but tackling stats are clouding people preceptions of what type of player he really is. He needs to be switched to LB before the Redskins give up a passing TD every game on Taylors account.

When it comes to the actual safety position, and not tackles, even Sean Jones from the Browns is a better overall safety than Taylor.

Moses
05-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Just want to know why everyone is ranking Taylor as one of the best? It isnt because hes basically a LB playing S is it? He gets alot of tackles, but also gave up the 2nd most amount of recieving TD's in the entire NFL last year behind the Saints CB. That tells me he is darn horrid in coverage, but tackling stats are clouding people preceptions of what type of player he really is. He needs to be switched to LB before the Redskins give up a passing TD every game on Taylors account.

When it comes to the actual safety position, and not tackles, even Sean Jones from the Browns is a better overall safety than Taylor.

I love how people all of a sudden assume Taylor is a terrible coverage safety because he gave up a lot of defensive TDs last season. Look at the defence he was on. Look at what the coaching staff asked him to do. He is easily one of the most talented cover safeties in the league. Did he make some mistakes last year? Yes, but saying he's a linebacker playing safety is just ignorant.

JoeMontainya
05-29-2007, 03:59 PM
I love how people all of a sudden assume Taylor is a terrible coverage safety because he gave up a lot of defensive TDs last season. Look at the defence he was on. Look at what the coaching staff asked him to do. He is easily one of the most talented cover safeties in the league. Did he make some mistakes last year? Yes, but saying he's a linebacker playing safety is just ignorant.

All the exsperts say the same, just because you dont agree, doesnt mean it is "ignorant". The dude is absolutly HORRID in coverage, dont try to defend that part of his game.

Moses
05-29-2007, 04:03 PM
All the exsperts say the same, just because you dont agree, doesnt mean it is "ignorant". The dude is absolutly HORRID in coverage, dont try to defend that part of his game.

Hahahaha...show me some "experts" that say Sean Taylor is horrid in coverage.

Video evidence of Taylor not terrible in coverage: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7487216479616325959

That is a highlight video from his 2005 season. Look at him covering stars like Moss and Owens. He's better near the line of scrimmage, but that doesn't make him horrid in coverage. He can run with any receiver, is a viscious hitter across the middle, and can make plays on the ball.

SeanTaylorRIP
05-29-2007, 04:03 PM

Wow all of the so called "ESPN Experts", anyone who says he is awful in coverage shows a lack of football knowledge. He is no Ed Reed but at the same time is no Roy Williams.

remix 6
05-29-2007, 04:30 PM
QUESTION

if Taylor is so bad in coverage but plays like an LB..then why are the Redskins putting him at FS..LaRon at SS closer to the line

Landry will be more in box while Taylor plays back. Now..did this board not go out and say Landry will be the best safety in a few years? Hes great in coverage? He is but if Taylor was as bad in coverage as u kids say..i dont see why Gregg Williams would give him coverage responsbility over Landry

cunningham06
05-29-2007, 04:30 PM

He was asked to cover #1 receivers last season, I would like to see any safety not give up TD's in that situation. His coverage is not horrid, but better than you would expect for someone with his size. Try watching the game instead of listening to the so called "experts" on ESPN.

JoeMontainya
05-29-2007, 04:53 PM
You guys can say whatever you want about him. But where Im from actions speak louder than words. I gave an actual stat that shows his actions, and as of now Im right until someone shows me why his 8 TD's given up make him good in coverage? #1 WR's? Im pretty sure not a single safety last year was asked to match up man on man with a #1 WR, maybe help situations, but dont even give me that bull.

And I love how most of you guys who more than likely are under 21, allways bash the exsperts because your opinion is different. Well I gave a stat that goes beyond opinion, Taylor was responsible for 8 pass TD's.

23trufant
05-29-2007, 05:01 PM
1-Ed Reed
2-Brian Dawkins
3-Adrian Wilson
4-Bob Sanders
5-Troy Polamalu
6-Chris Hope
7-Sean Taylor
8-Kerry Rhodes

Moses
05-29-2007, 05:08 PM
You guys can say whatever you want about him. But where Im from actions speak louder than words. I gave an actual stat that shows his actions, and as of now Im right until someone shows me why his 8 TD's given up make him good in coverage? #1 WR's? Im pretty sure not a single safety last year was asked to match up man on man with a #1 WR, maybe help situations, but dont even give me that bull.

And I love how most of you guys who more than likely are under 21, allways bash the exsperts because your opinion is different. Well I gave a stat that goes beyond opinion, Taylor was responsible for 8 pass TD's.

Jon Kitna had more passing yards than Tom Brady. He is a better passer.

Statistics are far from indisputable evidence.

JoeMontainya
05-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Jon Kitna had more passing yards than Tom Brady. He is a better passer.

Statistics are far from indisputable evidence.

You just used Jon Kitna as a deffense to Taylor? I think this is where the arguement ends....

When a S continually gets beat for TD's (2nd worste in all the NFL to be exact) I think that says enough.

nobodyinparticular
05-29-2007, 06:31 PM
What? Landry had great production last season. 69 tackles, 3 sacks, 5 interceptions. He came in and started as a rookie and was excellent, he was one of the best defensive rookies last season. He's proved he can play, so I put him in my top 5 SS. He's not a top 5 safety but top 10 is by no means a stretch.

He had one pretty good year. Yes, production--as in proving he can do it more than once. If he had come out and played on the level of Ed Reed then it would be one thing, but he didn't. People are putting him up there because "that was his rookie year, imagine how much better he can be next year!"

Yes, and Napoleon Harris was very good in his rookie year as well, leading the way for the #2 overall run defense and racking up some nice production in the process. But guess what, 4 years later no one in their right minds would consider him anywhere near top 10 in MLBs or OLBs.

To take you back a couple years, people thought Michael Boulware was the next big thing after his rookie year. I guess they had something else coming, eh?

People get all excited about this young player or that young player on the verge of a "breakout year" but so often that year keeps getting pushed back. Let's wait until he actually proves he can do it consistently. Until then he's just as likely to be the next flash in the pan.

Phrost
05-29-2007, 06:33 PM
You just used Jon Kitna as a deffense to Taylor? I think this is where the arguement ends....

When a S continually gets beat for TD's (2nd worste in all the NFL to be exact) I think that says enough.

Owned? Honestly though he has made a good point.

broncs2bowl
05-29-2007, 06:40 PM
Safety:
Ed Reed
Brain Dawkins
Troy Polamalu
Adrian Wilson
Sean Taylor
John Lynch(lol little homerism, BUT careerwise probs the second best safety still playing right behind Dawkins)

dc4life
05-29-2007, 07:08 PM

This was some-what true. He got beat a ton of times last year for TDs. I don't wanna directly blame him for everything cause his whole supporting cast/defense sucked balls. This is my unbiased opinion btw. Everyone knows he has all the talent and physical tools..yada yada yada..

bored of education
05-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Safeties of Tomorrow:
Jarrad page, Brandon Merriwether, Bernard Pollard, Nick Collins, Donte Whitner, Ko Simpson, Michael Huff, Danny Manning, Marvin White, Laron Landry, Dawan Landry, Reggie Nelson, Eric Weddle, Sabby Piscatelli

wow, alot of young depth at both SS and FS

remix 6
05-29-2007, 08:34 PM
no answers to my question Sean Taylor haters?

Moses
05-29-2007, 08:37 PM
no answers to my question Sean Taylor haters?

This Joe fella prefers to just bring up one statistic (because we all know that's the be all end all when it comes to football analysis) and leave it at that. When counter-arguments are made that actually have a solid basis (you know, actually WATCHING football) he says things like "this argument is over".

dc4life
05-29-2007, 08:45 PM
QUESTION

if Taylor is so bad in coverage but plays like an LB..then why are the Redskins putting him at FS..LaRon at SS closer to the line

Landry will be more in box while Taylor plays back. Now..did this board not go out and say Landry will be the best safety in a few years? Hes great in coverage? He is but if Taylor was as bad in coverage as u kids say..i dont see why Gregg Williams would give him coverage responsbility over Landry

Do they really have a choice? Don't they have to put Taylor at FS since everyone really knows that Landry is really more of a SS. Look at his highlights, youtube or whatever. The majority of his plays are blitzing the Qb, or making plays near the line of scrimmage.

As for Taylor, he prefers to play closer to the line as well. This is why all the draft experts and a number of fans were upset with the pick of Landry. Its like having two starting strong safeties on your team. They didnt improve their D line as well. Taylor is the FS by default. Don't let Landry's 4.35s speed straight-line-forty convince you that he has the quickness of a ballhawk. If they wanted a true ballhawk centerfielder they would have traded down and gotten Reggie Nelson or Meriweather.

Two teams I know for sure, were targeting Meriweather at the draft. The Patriots (the team who got him) and the Eagles (the other team who wanted him).

Taylor isn't a horrible coverage guy, but he did get burned a NUMBER of times last year. Their whole D sucked ass.

Yung Flippa
05-29-2007, 08:46 PM
FS:
1. Ed Reed
2. Brian Dawkins
3. Bob Sanders
4. Sean Taylor
5. Kerry Rhodes

SS:
1. Adrian Wilson
2. Troy Polamalu
3. Mike Brown
4. Dawan Landry
5. Chris Hope

brat316
05-29-2007, 08:50 PM
I would go with

Reed
Dawk
Polamalu
Roy
Wilson
Sanders
Harrison-when not injured most fined saftey lol

brat316
05-29-2007, 08:59 PM
NFC east has some nice safteys dowos

Roy and Ken hamlin

Taylor and Landry

B-dawk and Considine -still needs to get better

Will Demps and Gibril Wilson - these two not that good but Demps is pretty decent

remix 6
05-29-2007, 09:07 PM
Do they really have a choice? Don't they have to put Taylor at FS since everyone really knows that Landry is really more of a SS. Look at his highlights, youtube or whatever. The majority of his plays are blitzing the Qb, or making plays near the line of scrimmage.

As for Taylor, he prefers to play closer to the line as well. This is why all the draft experts and a number of fans were upset with the pick of Landry. Its like having two starting strong safeties on your team. They didnt improve their D line as well. Taylor is the FS by default. Don't let Landry's 4.35s speed straight-line-forty convince you that he has the quickness of a ballhawk. If they wanted a true ballhawk centerfielder they would have traded down and gotten Reggie Nelson or Meriweather.

Two teams I know for sure, were targeting Meriweather at the draft. The Patriots (the team who got him) and the Eagles (the other team who wanted him).

Taylor isn't a horrible coverage guy, but he did get burned a NUMBER of times last year. Their whole D sucked ass.

i never let speed fool me as to where a player belongs.reading scouting reports, hes compared to Dawkins..hes a hard hitter, plays run but very good in pass D. i think they would of at least let Landry play FS if they thought Taylor was bad..give Landry at chance and maybe help Sean but thats not the case.

Redskins defensive coordinator Gregg Williams confirmed that Sean Taylor will play free safety with LaRon Landry on the strong side.
Williams likes that he'll be able to play Taylor in space more now after sticking him "in the box" to support the run most of last season. Landry will play closer to the line of scrimmage and make more tackles. In 2007, the Redskins are expected to play more Cover 1 and less Tampa 2.

so last year Taylor was basically near the line to help out but that didnt work out

their whole D sucked..no pass rush..struggled verse run.

Sean Taylor did give up a lot of TDs but its not always his fault..heres a comparsion: Samari Rolle tooka lot of criticism last season for letting up big plays..reality though, it was Reed's responbilities ..he was either late to the ball or out of position. Football isnt just.."the closest guy to you is yours" like Seymour said..as a fan you can watch all u and say look at his stats and what not but u dont understand the responibilties of players. Some are asked to do different things than you might think and then you wonder why he didnt do this or that.

Taylor is not as bad in coverage as the 8 TDs might lead you to believe. Hes fast..he knows what to do but hes undiciplined at times, overagressive.

like Reed..he gets caught of position sometimes and when u dont have a very good D around you..it makes u look very bad. if Reed played on Skins..i can gurantee his aggresive play will stand out as he gets beat a few times. im a fan of both players..my favorite safeties, both of them but both are overaggresive sometimes and undiciplined because they look for the big play.

steelersfan43
05-30-2007, 12:17 AM
I love these sean taylor arguments. :p

cunningham06
05-30-2007, 01:56 AM

Well where I'm from, we don't take too kindly to your kind not paying attention to the game and just looking at stats.

cunningham06
05-30-2007, 02:03 AM
He had one pretty good year. Yes, production--as in proving he can do it more than once. If he had come out and played on the level of Ed Reed then it would be one thing, but he didn't. People are putting him up there because "that was his rookie year, imagine how much better he can be next year!"

Yes, and Napoleon Harris was very good in his rookie year as well, leading the way for the #2 overall run defense and racking up some nice production in the process. But guess what, 4 years later no one in their right minds would consider him anywhere near top 10 in MLBs or OLBs.

To take you back a couple years, people thought Michael Boulware was the next big thing after his rookie year. I guess they had something else coming, eh?

People get all excited about this young player or that young player on the verge of a "breakout year" but so often that year keeps getting pushed back. Let's wait until he actually proves he can do it consistently. Until then he's just as likely to be the next flash in the pan.

Nip you are quite the cynic. What SS's do you rank top 5 without Dawan Landry in it? Polamalu, Wilson, and Hope are generally agreed upon. Mike Brown? He can't stay healthy. If you honestly rank your top 5 SS's who would you put over Landry? Sean Jones is a possibility, but he could be a flash in the pan too, who knows. The bottom line is you can't discriminate against a player just because they are young.

nobodyinparticular
05-30-2007, 02:08 AM

That is probably one of the worst choices of cliches I've seen in a while. "Actions speak louder than words" absolutely does not fit into the context that you tried to bring it into, yet you did the very best you could to cram it in there in the opening that just wouldn't fit.

LitoSheppard
05-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Taylor missed so many tackles last year and his worst missing tackle game was agianst the Rams, he gave up 2 tds and a overtime TD by misssing tackles, and his coverge just sucks

JoeMontainya
05-30-2007, 06:47 PM
That is probably one of the worst choices of cliches I've seen in a while. "Actions speak louder than words" absolutely does not fit into the context that you tried to bring it into, yet you did the very best you could to cram it in there in the opening that just wouldn't fit.

Mmmmm Kayy Mr. Mackey. What is it that you cant understand? When a player gives up that many TD's Mmmm kay, it means he cant cover the person he is supposed to Mmmm Kay. Either way you cut it, the REAL top 5 safeties in the league are worlds better in coverage than this overrated cancer mmmm kay?

Is he a good talent? Of course. Is he top 5 and maybe even top 10? No, that honer goes to the people that dont allow TD's, because afterall that is the whole goal of a deffense, not solo tackles etc....

JoeMontainya
05-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Well where I'm from, we don't take too kindly to your kind not paying attention to the game and just looking at stats.

What is it about a player giving up many TD's that you seem to not care about? The job of a deffender is to keep the other side from crossing the goal line, and Taylor is one of the worste at it.

7-11
06-02-2007, 12:49 AM
im assuming anybody that as listed bob sanders as a fs has never actually seen the guy play?

d34ng3l021
06-02-2007, 01:27 AM
im assuming anybody that as listed bob sanders as a fs has never actually seen the guy play?

Well, he DOES sit on the bench all the time. ;)

Dam8610
06-02-2007, 02:12 AM
Well, he DOES sit on the bench all the time. ;)

Except when it matters. ;)

remix 6
06-02-2007, 06:34 AM

um he lines up behind the right CB am i wrong? Bethea and Doss played the strong side which is generally the left side of the D.

cunningham06
06-02-2007, 02:39 PM

How hard a safety hits and how good they are in run support doesn't always tell you where they play. Dawkins hits harder and plays the run better than just about anyone and is a FS.

dcarey20
06-02-2007, 03:40 PM
I'll give my top 10 overall.

1. Ed Reed, Free Safety, Baltimore Ravens

Reed is the best safety in the game. He's the best coverage safety in the game, hands down. He's amazing at reading the quarterback, and he covers more ground than anyone. Also a big hitter. One thing that doesn't get mentioned with Reed too often is how important he is to the Raven defense. The Ravens are great at using situational players, and we have been able to have a top defense when some of our top players are hurt, notably Ray Lewis. But when Ed Reed was out of the Raven lineup 2 years ago, there was a notable difference. We were no where near as dominating, and it seemed like guys were looking for help that wasn't there. Reed is without a doubt the most important Baltimore Raven, offesne or defense, and that is something that often gets overlooked by non-Raven fans.

2. Brian Dawkins, Free Safety, Philadelphia Eagles

Reed and Dawkins are easily 1 and 2. Dawkins has no visible holes in his game at all. He's fast, can cover, can blitz, and is an extremely reliable tackler. He also plays much bigger than his 205 pound frame. He gives a defensive coordinator a boatload of options. I feel his hitting is a bit overrated by some, but there's no doubt he can lay the wood, and he's showing no signs of slowing down.

3. Bob Sanders, Strong Safety, Indianapolis Colts

There is no doubt in my mind that the most valuable Colt is Bob Sanders, yes, ahead of Peyton Manning. The Colts are a completely different team when he is on the field. The impact that he has is simply amazing, and at 5'8", 200 pounds, some of the things he does on the field are amazing. I feel he's the best tackling safety in the game right now. He has outstanding form, something that you wouldn't expect for a guy of his size, and he gives everything he has on every hit. He doesn't force many turnovers, but he can get the job done in coverage. I don't think people realize how good he actually is.

4. Adrian Wilson, Strong Safety, Arizona Cardinals

Wilson is finally starting to get his due as a top safety, and a top defensive back in the NFL. He's blessed with outstanding natural ability, and he uses all of it on the field. He's not only one of the biggest safeties in the game, but he's also one of the fastest. And he is the best blitzer in the game. I don't know if I've ever heard of a safety getting 8 sacks in a year, something that he has done. He plays very good coverage, especially for his size, and is the heart of that Cardinal team.

5. Sean Taylor, Free Safety, Washington Redskins

Taylor is obviously overhyped by many, but he's still one of the best. There's no doubt that he has as much talent as any defensive player in the NFL, but he hasn't fully lived up to it. He's a ferocious hitter, and he's fearless. He isn't afraid of anyone. Those attributes alone make him one of the best. His coverage obviously needs improvement, as I feel he regressed a bit in that area. He needs to cut down on the big plays he gives up, and sometimes he tries to hard to make the huge hit. But again, he is so physically imposing, you have to put him as one of the best.

6. Troy Polamalu, Strong Safety, Pittsburgh Steelers

In my eyes, Polamalu took a big step back last season. He wasn't as much of a playmaker as he had been in year's past, and at times he was a big liability in coverage. I feel last season made him a bit overrated, but you have to respect his toughness and versatility. When he's on his game, he's arguably up there with Reed and Dawkins, but I wasn't impressed with what I saw last year.

7. Sean Jones, Strong Safety, Cleveland Browns

Sean Jones is the new Adrian Wilson. He may be the most underrated safety in the league. Sean Jones was the best strong safety in the AFC North last year, easily better than Polamalu. He's a tackling machine. He's always around the ball. And he showed that he can create turnovers, as he tallied 5 interceptions. I was tempted to put him ahead of Polamalu, and if Jones has another year like 2006, he will be ahead of Troy.

8. Kerry Rhodes, Strong Safety, New York Jets

Rhodes had a great year in 2006. Like Sean Jones, he's always around the ball, as shown by his impressive tackle numbers. He also showed he can rush the passer with 5 sacks, and chipped in 4 interceptions. He may have established himself as the best player on that Jet defense, ahead of Jon Vilma. He was without a doubt a pro bowl caliber player last season.

9. Chris Hope, Strong Safety, Tennessee Titans

I think the Pittsburgh Steelers made a big mistake when they let Hope go. I feel he was a big reason for the success of Troy Polamalu. Last year I think he got to show that he is almost on par with Polamalu. He's a very good tackler, and had 120 last season. He does a nice job in coverage, and had 5 picks last season. He was a very valuable player for that Titan defense.

10. Madieu Williams, Free Safety, Cincinnatti Bengals

One of the most underappreciated safeties in the game. He is a key cog in that Bengal defense. He doesn't have any big weaknesses, and he plays the run and the pass equally well.

Honorable Mention: Dawan Landry, Strong Safety, Baltimore Ravens

remix 6
06-02-2007, 03:54 PM
pretty good list except i would put Wilson ahead of Sanders easily imo. he makes plays..he plays run, hits hard and hes stayed healthy. hes a good blitzer aswell

and the only other issue i have is Madieu Williams on the list. Roy Williams isnt as bad in coverage as people make him out to be and hes a force against run..he deserves top 10 at least

dcarey20
06-02-2007, 04:06 PM
pretty good list except i would put Wilson ahead of Sanders easily imo. he makes plays..he plays run, hits hard and hes stayed healthy. hes a good blitzer aswell

and the only other issue i have is Madieu Williams on the list. Roy Williams isnt as bad in coverage as people make him out to be and hes a force against run..he deserves top 10 at least

no on roy. i personally think he is every bit as bad as people make him out to be.

SeanTaylorRIP
06-02-2007, 04:44 PM
I wouldn't say ST is overrated around here, almost every poster calls him crap, and not a top 20 safety in the league and that he should move to LB or DE.

jsagan77
06-02-2007, 05:31 PM

When you play on a defense that has the least sacks in NFL history then your secondary is going to get smoked... Take that mixed with having to cover for Adam Archuletta and having Mike Rumph and Kenney Wright as the CB's on your side, you are going to get burned.

Once Shawn Springs came back and they signed Troy Vincent Taylors play picked up immensely. You put any safety, even Ed Reed in that situation and they would have a down year. Put Taylor in Reeds position on that D and he would probably be just as good or maybe better than Reed. Looking at stats and making an assessment is ok but they don't always tell the entire truth about a story.

Modano
06-02-2007, 05:38 PM
no on roy. i personally think he is every bit as bad as people make him out to be.

Putting a guy like Madieu Williams, Sean Jones and even Dwan Landry ahead of him is still questionable.

The only thing in which Madieu is better than Roy is coverage. Roy is way better in all other aspects of the game. Sean Jones started ONE season. Why can't he be a one year wonder? Roy Williams in his rookie season was amazing, and not a bad cover guy too. The same for Dawan Landry, who was a rookie and played in a defense filled with talent. When Roy played alongside Woodson he was way better in coverage because he wasn't asked to cover so much field.
Roy Williams started the season very good this past year and finish it worse when, because of poor poor play by the FS he was forced to play cover 2 and far from the line.
Even if Roy isn't a great cover guy, he's a 6 years veteran, an all-pro player, who has been a playmaker for all of his career and came with some big plays to help his team in critical situation.
When Sean Jones or Dawan Landry or Madieu Williams will show their game-changing abilities season after season they could be on the same level of Roy Williams. Right now, no.

America
06-02-2007, 05:46 PM
FS:
Ed Reed
Brian Dawkins
Bob Sanders
Sean Taylor
Kherry Rhodes

SS
Troy Polamalu
Adrian Wilson(very very close)
Chris Hope
Dawan Landry
Sean Jones

I'm surprised you have Landry so high. I always thought Kherry Rhodes was a SS and probably would have put him there instead. I have a hunch Mike Brown of the Bears will return to greatness if he gets back to FS where he won't be hurt as much. Rhodes is a S on nfl.com. Strange, he plays a lot like Adrian Wilson. Nick Collins almost got my vote for FS, but Williams edged him out. I was surprised at the lack of great FS'. Seems like SS has much more depth. Both the Bullocks brothers should be good soon. Michael Huff and Donte Whitner will soon be prominent safeties. Landry is surrounded by a lot of talent, that's why I put the other guys over him. (Chris Hope and Sean Jones aren't exactly on star studded Ds)

FS
Ed Reed
Brian Dawkins
Sean Taylor
Bob Sanders
Madieu Williams

SS
Adrian Wilson
Troy Polamalu
Kherry Rhodes
Chris Hope
Sean Jones

remix 6
06-02-2007, 06:17 PM
why is Madieu all of a sudden part of a top 5-10 list? he was part of the 2nd worst pass defense and they even considered moving him to CB this year and dont thats because James-O'Neal sucked because safety was a huge need for them last 2 seasons.

i watched my boy Maroney stiff arm him and get past him quiet a few times week 4

Space Ghost
06-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Ed Reed
Adrian Wilson
Sean Taylor
Brian Dawkins
Troy Polamalu

Modano
06-03-2007, 02:33 AM
why is Madieu all of a sudden part of a top 5-10 list? he was part of the 2nd worst pass defense and they even considered moving him to CB this year and dont thats because James-O'Neal sucked because safety was a huge need for them last 2 seasons.

i watched my boy Maroney stiff arm him and get past him quiet a few times week 4

Exactly. They seem to like him but don't like Roy...

Dam8610
06-03-2007, 02:37 AM
I wouldn't say ST is overrated around here, almost every poster calls him crap, and not a top 20 safety in the league and that he should move to LB or DE.

What board have you been reading? I've never seen anyone suggest anything of that nature. In fact, most people usually have him in their Top 5 safeties.

draftguru151
06-03-2007, 08:13 AM
What board have you been reading? I've never seen anyone suggest anything of that nature. In fact, most people usually have him in their Top 5 safeties.

I rarely see any mention of ST without trash about him sucking afterwards. There was a ST+Landry thread before the draft and some of the stuff in there made my head hurt.

portis_clinton
06-03-2007, 09:04 AM
Everyone bashes the Redskins front 7, except when talking about Sean Taylor.

Xonraider
06-03-2007, 09:30 AM
I still have the memory of Sean Jones leveling Robert Gallery. That took balls and guts. I've never seen someone be as physical as that on some 6'7'' Tarzan linemen.

Addict
06-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Everyone bashes the Redskins front 7, except when talking about Sean Taylor.

Yeah, Taylor had very little help on D last year, so you can't really blaming for looking bad at times. You can't expect one guy to do the job 11 guys are supposed to.

remix 6
06-03-2007, 10:04 AM
I still have the memory of Sean Jones leveling Robert Gallery. That took balls and guts. I've never seen someone be as physical as that on some 6'7'' Tarzan linemen.

you call Gallery a tarzan? ahahahaha. Hes soft. He sucks

Pack_Attack_4
06-03-2007, 11:02 AM
Sean Taylor is the most overratted safty in the NFL, he played good in the playoffs acouple years ago but after that es done nothing too special (except for that hit on moorman in the pro bowl)

remix 6
06-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Sean Taylor is the most overratted safty in the NFL, he played good in the playoffs acouple years ago but after that es done nothing too special (except for that hit on moorman in the pro bowl)

or that game winning INT verse Panthers last year..or the hits on TO..Keyshawn..Tatum Bell..to name a few

nobodyinparticular
06-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Mmmmm Kayy Mr. Mackey. What is it that you cant understand? When a player gives up that many TD's Mmmm kay, it means he cant cover the person he is supposed to Mmmm Kay. Either way you cut it, the REAL top 5 safeties in the league are worlds better in coverage than this overrated cancer mmmm kay?

Is he a good talent? Of course. Is he top 5 and maybe even top 10? No, that honer goes to the people that dont allow TD's, because afterall that is the whole goal of a deffense, not solo tackles etc....

Wow. The reading comprehension level on this board has reached an all-time low. We're talking closer to 12-feet under than 6-feet under.

My argument was only with how ridiculous your argument sounded with the cliche "Actions speak louder than words." I guess there were ways that you could have made that cliche fit into your argument like, "Where I'm from, actions speak louder than words, and Sean Taylor talks a big game, but he can't back it up on the field." But you didn't say that. You tried to imply that Sean Taylor's actions speak louder than Cunningham's words. Well of course you would say that, you're arguing with him. It is implied that Cunningham is not accurately representing Sean Taylor's "actions" if you are disagreeing with how good Taylor is. That you actually tried to use that in an argument is unfathomable.

And then you thought it would be so hilarious to talk down to me when I made my comment about your post. You fail to realize it is you who lacks the comprehension of my post, not the other way around. You just made yourself look like a fool because you are the one who is so one-track minded that you parrot out a single statistic without even reading other people's posts. The irony that you tried to make fun of me for not understanding your argument when it was you who absolutely failed to comprehend my small little post that was actually quite clear is amazing. Of course the humor is at your own expense, but that's ok considering you first tried making fun of me.

By the way, I love how you bring up that most everyone here is under 21 when you lack the reading comprehension level of a 4th grader. What are you, in 7th grade or something? If I were you, I'd just say yes, otherwise it makes you look even dumber for your age. Once again, wonderful, unplanned irony. I love it.

brat316
06-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Sean taylor maybe be overrated but he still is good. Better than most S in the league, he turned out to be better than Adam Archallata. He would be the 10 best S

1. Reed
dawks
Polomalu
wilson
Williams
Sanders
Harison
Darious
Lynch
Taylor

Purple N Proud
06-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Neither Lynch or Darius are still at the level of Taylor. Chris Hope is up there.

21ST
06-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Sean taylor maybe be overrated but he still is good. Better than most S in the league, he turned out to be better than Adam Archallata. He would be the 10 best S

1. Reed
dawks
Polomalu
wilson
Williams
Sanders
Harison
Darious
Lynch
Taylor

Sean Taylor>Troy P only Safties better than taylor are Reed, Dawkins and Wilson

brat316
06-03-2007, 09:21 PM
No way Sanders and Troy are better than Sean taylor

Acreboy
06-03-2007, 09:27 PM
1. Ed Reed
2. Adrian Wilson
3. Brian Dawkins
4. Troy Polamalu
5. Darren SharperI like that list. Except i'd put Dawkins ahead of Wilson.

21ST
06-03-2007, 10:28 PM
No way Sanders and Troy are better than Sean taylor

Based on what exactly?

nobodyinparticular
06-03-2007, 11:36 PM
This is ridiculous. You people need to use punctuation. Use commas, periods, exclamation points, question marks, whatever, just take some pride in your post!

"No way Sanders and Troy are better than Sean taylor"

Written like this, it implies that someone has placed Sanders and Troy above Taylor and this poster feels there is no way that those 2 safeties are better than Taylor.

"Sean Taylor>Troy P only Safties better than taylor are Reed, Dawkins and Wilson"

Sean Taylor is better than Polamalu and they are the only safeties better than Reed, Dawkins and Wilson.

If you are going to take the 4 seconds to type out a post, take the extra second to add punctuation so that people can actually understand which side you are on. Otherwise it looks like you are arguing in exactly the opposite way from what you really feel.

Moses
06-04-2007, 12:22 AM
This is ridiculous. You people need to use punctuation. Use commas, periods, exclamation points, question marks, whatever, just take some pride in your post!

"No way Sanders and Troy are better than Sean taylor"

Written like this, it implies that someone has placed Sanders and Troy above Taylor and this poster feels there is no way that those 2 safeties are better than Taylor.

"Sean Taylor>Troy P only Safties better than taylor are Reed, Dawkins and Wilson"

Sean Taylor is better than Polamalu and they are the only safeties better than Reed, Dawkins and Wilson.

If you are going to take the 4 seconds to type out a post, take the extra second to add punctuation so that people can actually understand which side you are on. Otherwise it looks like you are arguing in exactly the opposite way from what you really feel.

Punctuation is the difference between:

"I helped my Uncle, Jack, off a horse."

and

"i helped my uncle jack off a horse"

brat316
06-04-2007, 01:21 PM
ahaha yo who cares as long as it seems to make sence but ill try u seemed to get wat each of u was sayin

Addict
06-04-2007, 01:37 PM
Punctuation is the difference between:

"I helped my Uncle, Jack, off a horse."

and

"i helped my uncle jack off a horse"

yeah... that first one's messed up man.

Moses
06-04-2007, 01:40 PM
ahaha yo who cares as long but ill try u seemed to get wat each of u was sayin

ESL?

http://esl.podomatic.com/esl.png

Addict
06-04-2007, 01:42 PM
ESL?

I do hope you don't fall off your chair in amazement, but English isn't the only language in the world that uses interpunction.
English is my third language and I use plenty of comma's and god knows what.

Moses
06-04-2007, 01:45 PM
I do hope you don't fall off your chair in amazement, but English isn't the only language in the world that uses interpunction.
English is my third language and I use plenty of comma's and god knows what.

Did you read the post I quoted? It's tough to believe that somebody who speaks English as a first language could write something like that.

Addict
06-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Did you read the post I quoted? It's tough to believe that somebody who speaks English as a first language could write something like that.

yeah I read it. But to be honest, you should see the way people mutilate the Dutch language, what you quoted wasn't really all that bad.

Moses
06-04-2007, 02:02 PM
yeah I read it. But to be honest, you should see the way people mutilate the Dutch language, what you quoted wasn't really all that bad.

Obviously I'm only familiar with the mutilation of English since I'm not fluent in anything else but that post was unreadable, at least to me.

Chucky
06-04-2007, 08:01 PM

Bob Sanders was very dominant in the playoffs, he was the best overall DB in the playoffs last year.

Mr. Stiller
06-04-2007, 08:07 PM
I think after this season the top two tandems of safety's could very well rely in the AFC:N.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/don_banks/04/25/pivotal.picks/p1_reed.jpgEd Reed

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l105/Bossofcharmcity/DawanLandry.jpgDawan Landry

vs.

http://www.trojanwire.com/images/polamalu-si-cover.jpg Troy Polamalu

http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent/2007/05/12/14/07_MC_SmithAnthony_76521.jpgAnthony Smith

I think it's going to be an interesting battle between these two groups for Safety Supremecy.

Landry Vs. Polamalu
Reed Vs. Smith

Very Interesting.

Chucky
06-04-2007, 08:09 PM
I think after this season the top two tandems of safety's could very well rely in the AFC:N.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/don_banks/04/25/pivotal.picks/p1_reed.jpgEd Reed

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l105/Bossofcharmcity/DawanLandry.jpgDawan Landry

vs.

http://www.trojanwire.com/images/polamalu-si-cover.jpg Troy Polamalu

http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent/2007/05/12/14/07_MC_SmithAnthony_76521.jpgAnthony Smith

I think it's going to be an interesting battle between these two groups for Safety Supremecy.

Landry Vs. Polamalu
Reed Vs. Smith

Very Interesting.

Wow, its really not going to be close, baltimores is waaaaaaayyyy better

Hines
06-04-2007, 08:17 PM

and why do you say that

Xonraider
06-04-2007, 08:36 PM
ESL?

It is for me, uncle Jack.

Xonraider
06-04-2007, 08:39 PM
ahaha yo who cares as long but ill try u seemed to get wat each of u was sayin

nasdasi iusbhjf I ikfnnkd alalo lmjs?!@@@żżżĦĦĦĦ???!!!

Mr. Stiller
06-05-2007, 12:00 AM

Way to prove it.

Polamalu is the best Strong safety in the league (Some will debate Wilson, But Polamalu is much more versatile and clutch).

Ed Reed is the best Free Safety in the league.

Both Dawan Landry and Anthony Smith (in his limited time) have played great.

Landry got the nod from me because he's got a full 16 games under his belt. But Anthony Smith is certainly capable of being atleast as good if not better.

I want to see how both Landry and Smith do in their second season.

I give the nod to Landry/Reed because their defense IMO is better than the steelers right now. At least in the pass rushing department.

But To say they're not even close is proving 2 things,

1) Your close minded
2) Your credibility isn't worth anything.

Both teams have Pro-Bowl decorated Vets, and 2 young and up'n'comers next to them.. to say that Baltimores Duo is greater than Pittsburgh without even letting both groups get in to their second season together is just a joke.

I was merely stating the best safety duo could be battled between them...

With Buffalo, Washington, and NO on the outside looking in.

Sniper
06-05-2007, 02:52 AM
but apostrophes must be new, eh? =P

yeah yeah, j/k. i'm only america-centric when talking about canada.

Hahaha that comma use for plural deal has gotta go.

1. Reed
2. Dawkins
3. Wilson
4. Polomalu
5. Taylor