PDA

View Full Version : Mario Henderson

Crow
05-29-2007, 06:20 AM
Oakland gave up a 2008 3rd round pick, and this year's 7th, to land this guy. Reviews on his game are mixed to say the least. My question is, was he worth it? Is he a superior tackle to guys like Free and Barbre, or just a guy with a higher ceiling?

NIN1984
05-29-2007, 09:08 AM
He is a good fit for our ZBS we will be running, and he played well vs. Gaines Adams and Jarvis Moss, which helped his stock. I thought he would have been a 4th maybe 5th round pick but oh well

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-29-2007, 09:59 AM
He's really talented, and has the tools to work with. He wasn't coached up right by the coaches at FSU, so he never really developed. He'll be a good player once he's coached up right, and I see him starting in 1-2 years.

-black
05-29-2007, 03:04 PM
As a FSU fan lets just say i was VERY suprised to see him go that high.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-29-2007, 03:15 PM
And as a Raider fan let's just say I was furious to see the pick being made. I've never been a fan of Henderson, and giving up next year's 3rd rounder for him was, in my opinion, a stupendously idiotic move.

locseti
05-29-2007, 03:20 PM
I don't know much about him either, but figured we HAD to go OL around that time in the draft, and he was obviously the target. It's probably his upside that had Raider brass salivating - he is clearly a specimen.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-29-2007, 03:39 PM
And as a Raider fan let's just say I was furious to see the pick being made. I've never been a fan of Henderson, and giving up next year's 3rd rounder for him was, in my opinion, a stupendously idiotic move.

Wait a couple of years and he'll be a pretty good player. He's a hard worker, and all he needs is coaching.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Wait a couple of years and he'll be a pretty good player. He's a hard worker, and all he needs is coaching.

Yeah, something Oakland is famous for having. Good developmental coaching.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
05-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Yeah, something Oakland is famous for having. Good developmental coaching.

Hey, it's probably a lot better than the guy we had in the Jeff Bowden Era.

Paranoidmoonduck
05-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Hey, it's probably a lot better than the guy we had in the Jeff Bowden Era.

I cringe whenever we draft someone who seemed pretty mediocre in college under the pretense of making him into a usable player. I feel like hurting people when we give up next year's 1st day pick for such a player who'd likely have made to one of our two next picks.

mqtirishfan
05-29-2007, 07:26 PM
He is a good fit for our ZBS we will be running, and he played well vs. Gaines Adams and Jarvis Moss, which helped his stock. I thought he would have been a 4th maybe 5th round pick but oh well

The sad thing is that Barbre would have also fit the ZBS pretty damn well.

Crow
06-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Well, I don't feel any better.

As for comments like "we HAD to go OL around that time in the draft"...it's that mindset that left us saddled with Matt Stinchcomb, Derrick Gibson, and Sebastian Janikowski. We had to have a tackle and just missed out on John Tait, so...Stinchcomb it is. We had to have a safety and Archie went a few picks ahead of us, so we passed on Reggie Wayne, Chad Johnson, Todd Heap, Drew Brees, Alge Crumpler, etc, for that dummy Gibson.

Don't even get me started on the 20/20 hindsight regarding the kicker.

We needed a DB this year too, and ended up with John friggin' Bowie. What the hell was that all about? Yes. I'm bitter because I wanted Mansfield Wrotto or Kareem Brown. But knowing that we needed a capable nickleback, it would have been nice to have taken a DB who at least brought more to the table than Stanford freaking Routt.

Komp
06-02-2007, 11:29 PM
We have a lot of young guys at DB right now and the starters are pretty rock solid [even Stu is pretty decent]. With Routt, Carr and Jarrod Cooper there we will be fine with a 2nd day draft pick at that position. I'm not worried about our secondary at all at this point. OL/QB/TE/RB/DL were all more pressing needs than our secondary and LB core, which are without question the strength of our team.

Crow
06-02-2007, 11:57 PM
Our starters are fine, no doubt. But Routt is terrible. Carr, other than a couple of really nice plays, doesn't look anywhere near ready for a larger role. Cooper is a STer and that's about it.

Starks is a bad joke, and the Bowie pick wasn't any funnier. Unless Frampton surprises, our nickle packages will rely on Huff manning the slot and Stugert playing centerfield with no help. Not ideal.

Xonraider
06-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Our starters are fine, no doubt. But Routt is terrible. Carr, other than a couple of really nice plays, doesn't look anywhere near ready for a larger role. Cooper is a STer and that's about it.

Starks is a bad joke, and the Bowie pick wasn't any funnier. Unless Frampton surprises, our nickle packages will rely on Huff manning the slot and Stugert playing centerfield with no help. Not ideal.

We need to have Kiffin's back though. He just came from college so he must have an extra step on these players.

Paranoidmoonduck
06-03-2007, 03:28 PM
We need to have Kiffin's back though. He just came from college so he must have an extra step on these players.

On a player who plays 3000 miles away and who he never faced in his entire college history? The only player where that actually comes into play is Frampton, the rest I'm fairly sure Kiffin had to watch just as much film as any scout.

chcwarriorpoet
06-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Gaines Adams had 2.5 sacks against FSU last season, but I don't know if he was Henderson's assignment. You can check it out on cnnsi film room. You see Gaines all over Weatherford with the o-line standing around. A good friend of mine is a Florida State Booster and said that Henderson shoulnd't have been drafted until the end of day 2. As a unit FSU's o-line was terrible. Obviously they struggled considering Booker didn't have much for rush yards in his career.

Borat
06-05-2007, 12:15 PM
I think that 2008 3rd rounder would have been better spent on Jared Gaither in the supp draft than on Henderson.

Crow
06-06-2007, 05:36 AM
Garrett Wolfe, Daymeion Hughes, Quinn Pitcock...

There had to have been better options.

The Bowie pick in Rd4 just kills me, though.