PDA

View Full Version : Micahel Oher

stephenson86
05-29-2007, 05:11 PM
I read a while ago an article on this guy hyping him to be one of the best athletes ever seen for a tackle etc and saying he will be an incredibly pro

i was wandering, how good is this guy?

marks01234
05-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Dominant college player. Maybe the best in the nation. Just has unreal strength.

I think his pro potential is somewhat limited though by his height and weight. He's has much more of a OG or RT's body. He's quick off the ball and has good feet - but probably not good enough to compensate for the lack of height and presumeably the lack of a long wingspan.

Even as a OG, I see as a first rounder though. He's not quite as dominant as Shawn Andrews yet but he's close.

keylime_5
05-29-2007, 06:29 PM
He could probably play LT in the pros. He'd be more dominant at guard or RT, but he is absolutely a first rounder in whichever draft he enters

darnik44two
05-29-2007, 06:36 PM
In many ways he is very comparible to Justin Blalock...just better. I personally see him as a guard in the NFL, and a top 15 pick. Teams that run alot of traps and pull guards will salivate over Oher.

fischbowl
05-29-2007, 06:55 PM
he wont enter next year.

if anyone read his story theres no doubting his "family" supports him educationally.

rainbeaukid2
05-29-2007, 07:01 PM
o man, stephenson is back

bored of education
05-29-2007, 07:22 PM
Read Blind Side.

jackalope
05-29-2007, 07:23 PM
I'd really like to see Oher succeed. The book about him, The Blindside, was great.

bengalbuck
05-29-2007, 08:12 PM
he wont enter next year.

if anyone read his story theres no doubting his "family" supports him educationally.

I disagree. Yes his adopted parents have money and would probably like to see him play 4 years, but Oher is not exactly a scholar. This guy seems like he has been wanting to get out of school and just get paid for a while. If he is healthy and projected as a first rounder, I bet he leaves early.

TACKLE
05-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Read Blind Side.

Great Read. Michael Oher will be dominant in the NFL. He will play LT. He's 6'5" 320lbs and ran a 4.9 coming out of HS. THe guy is a physical speciment and I belive this guy could be the next Walter Jones.

About coming out early, it won't happen. He is still very raw and inexperienced. He's only been playing since his Junior year in Highschool. Although he may not appear to be the brightest guy academically, he's getting a 3.75 GPA at Ole Miss. I really want this guy to succeed and think he could be a Top 10 pick at LT in 2009.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eYdSdNInUiQ

ricky bobby
05-29-2007, 09:14 PM
The next Shaun Andrews. Hopefully a NYG.

P-L
05-29-2007, 10:44 PM
I think he projects better as a guard in the pros.

TACKLE
05-30-2007, 12:35 AM
I think he projects better as a guard in the pros.

Why??? This guys 6'6" 320 lbs and runs a sub 5.0 forty. He has freak athletisism for his size and will be a LT in the NFL.

TACKLE
05-30-2007, 12:38 AM
He's quick off the ball and has good feet - but probably not good enough to compensate for the lack of height and presumeably the lack of a long wingspan.

Lack of height? He's 6'6". Since when is that to short?

DorianSmith
05-30-2007, 12:50 AM
Hes Tall for a football player

constant cough
05-31-2007, 11:31 AM
His family wants him to get a degree. Considering his background I agree that would be the best thing for him.

He's a talent but he's not coming out early.

ElectricEye
05-31-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm actually surprised to see people projecting him at guard. I haven't heard that anywhere else. I haven't watched him play, but all the projections have him as a top 10 pick at LT. If it's a matter of height, 6'5-6'6 is more than enough for a tackle. Most of the tackles taken this year were at or around that height.

ricky bobby
05-31-2007, 02:20 PM
I'm actually surprised to see people projecting him at guard. I haven't heard that anywhere else. I haven't watched him play, but all the projections have him as a top 10 pick at LT. If it's a matter of height, 6'5-6'6 is more than enough for a tackle. Most of the tackles taken this year were at or around that height.
I've seen 6'4" thrown around quite a bit. 6'4" 320 is better suited for OG.

jackalope
05-31-2007, 03:58 PM
The idea of changing him t guard is kind of interesting, since The Blindside talked about how he was the ideal fit to play LT.

Don Vito
05-31-2007, 04:56 PM
He is around 6-4 320, he is not 6-6. He definitely can play LT in the pros and looks to be able to play LG, RT, or even RG perhaps. He is certainly a frakish athlete, but he is a dominating college player as well, not just a workout warrior.

Freddy G
05-31-2007, 04:59 PM
The last two years i saw him listed anywhere between 6'4 330 to 6'4 340...but suddenly he has grown 2" and lost 10-20lbs. I can believe the him losing weight obviously, but magically growing one-two inches is rather unheard of in at this point in college.

My guess is that he is 6'4 1/2 320.

Note, i don't really care, as long as he proves he has the feet to play LT i don't really care about his height as long as it isn't under 6'4 (wingspand). Though he could be a monster at OG or RT, as opposed to just a good LT.

Don Vito
05-31-2007, 05:03 PM
The last two years i saw him listed anywhere between 6'4 330 to 6'4 340...but suddenly he has grown 2" and lost 10-20lbs. I can believe the him losing weight obviously, but magically growing one-two inches is rather unheard of in at this point in college.

My guess is that he is 6'4 1/2 320.

Note, i don't really care, as long as he proves he has the feet to play LT i don't really care about his height as long as it isn't under 6'4 (wingspand). Though he could be a monster at OG or RT, as opposed to just a good LT.

I honestly believe his best pro potential is at LT. You see his size, about 6-4 (maybe 6-5) and 320-330 and you think guard. But he is incredibly quick and is a super pass protector. He is a great run blocker, but his athleticism and pass blocking skills translate to a great NFL LT. Dont get me wrong though, he has the potential to be a super LG or RT as well.

P-L
05-31-2007, 05:40 PM
Why??? This guys 6'6" 320 lbs and runs a sub 5.0 forty. He has freak athletisism for his size and will be a LT in the NFL.

My mind is now changed. Because you said he will, I now must take that as fact.

MP123
05-31-2007, 06:03 PM

Playing tackle isn't all about height. Arm length matters too.

ElectricEye
05-31-2007, 06:07 PM
Playing tackle isn't all about height. Arm length matters too.

No, I agree completely. And I've never measured Michael Oher's arms personally, but all reports I've heard says he has the perfect LT build.

marks01234
05-31-2007, 09:05 PM
No, I agree completely. And I've never measured Michael Oher's arms personally, but all reports I've heard says he has the perfect LT build.

All reports? What are these? The one book, where the author never states that Oher is the perfect NFL LT.

Oher was 6'4" as a senior in high school. Maybe he has grown since then but I doubt it. Usually, players aren't taller than there listed heights.

6'4"/6'5" players can be OT but generally they are much different styles than Oher. Oher has great feet for a man his size but his quickness and football aren't close to D'Brickshaw Ferguson.

Don Vito
05-31-2007, 10:48 PM
All reports? What are these? The one book, where the author never states that Oher is the perfect NFL LT.

Oher was 6'4" as a senior in high school. Maybe he has grown since then but I doubt it. Usually, players aren't taller than there listed heights.

6'4"/6'5" players can be OT but generally they are much different styles than Oher. Oher has great feet for a man his size but his quickness and football aren't close to D'Brickshaw Ferguson.

You don't need to have D'Brickashaw Ferguson's athleticism to be a 6-4 LT in the NFL. If you really thinnk about it, the difference between 6-4 and 6-5 isn't very big at all. Jason Peters, one of the more underrated tackles in the NFL, lines up on the left side for Buffalo and measures in at 6-4 320 with athleticism much like Ohers.

I am going to make the comparison now, Mike Oher=Jason Peters.

CC.SD
06-05-2007, 12:55 PM
I read an article on him recently and one of the main focuses was how much more money a LT makes and how it was important that he play LT. That's what he'll come out as. It's a shame, hopefully the guy breaks his foot or something and the Chargers can make him a RT at the end of the 1st round.

SenorGato
06-05-2007, 01:13 PM
I read an article on him recently and one of the main focuses was how much more money a LT makes and how it was important that he play LT. That's what he'll come out as. It's a shame, hopefully the guy breaks his foot or something and the Chargers can make him a RT at the end of the 1st round.

WTF? You hope he breaks his foot or something?

Oooooook.

marks01234
06-05-2007, 06:08 PM
You don't need to have D'Brickashaw Ferguson's athleticism to be a 6-4 LT in the NFL. If you really thinnk about it, the difference between 6-4 and 6-5 isn't very big at all. Jason Peters, one of the more underrated tackles in the NFL, lines up on the left side for Buffalo and measures in at 6-4 320 with athleticism much like Ohers.

I am going to make the comparison now, Mike Oher=Jason Peters.

Peters is on another level athletically. He was a converted TE and has elite footwork on the NFL level.

I'm not saying Oher can't get to that point but I think it is highly unlikely.

Don Vito
06-05-2007, 06:13 PM
I know that Peters is a great athlete but they both have a very similar style of play. From a measurables aspect they are almost exactly the same, but if you watch tape of them they play very similar to one another. I agree that Peters is probably the better athlete, but Oher is a crazy athlete himself.

HoopsDemon12
06-09-2007, 03:01 PM
i would say ya they are similar in styloe of play... they will both be great IMO...and if the bills manage to get both i would be a happy man