PDA

View Full Version : Better 9-2 team?

Vikings Fan
11-28-2006, 05:22 PM
So, with one AFC (Ravens) and one NFC (Bears) team posied to represent each confrence in the playoffs who do you think is better and will go deeper into the playoffs? Personally I think that the Ravens are better, I like the Ravens better because I think their DBs are better, their DL is not quite as good and the LB position is neck and neck but id give the edge to the Bears. Also, they have a better Offense with a better QB and RB.

Of course, my username might figure into my thinking.

bearsfan_51
11-28-2006, 05:23 PM
I'm still not sold on the Ravens to be honest. Either way, they might be better, but they won't go further. The fact that we play in the NFC is reason enough for that argument.

Random topic.

Basileus777
11-28-2006, 05:26 PM
I think the Ravens are the better team right now. The Ravens defense is just as good, and their offense doesn't randomly have 5 or 6 turnover games every other week.

bearsfan_51
11-28-2006, 05:34 PM
Here are the numbers.

Bears have a better total offense.

Bears have a better scoring offense.

Bears have a better rushing offense.

Bears have a better passing offense.

Bears have a better total defense.

Bears have a better scoring defense.

Bears have a better passing defense.

Bears create more turnovers.

Ravens have a better rushing defense.

Ravens turn the ball over less.

Obviously some of this is due to strength of schedule, so take it for what it's worth, but those are the numbers. People like the hate on the Bears, but we're in the top half of the league in every single category.

Vikings Fan
11-28-2006, 05:36 PM
Here are the numbers.

One of the most important ones. If not for Grossman I would vote for the Bears but Grossman has shown he cant take the pressure with 5-6 guys in his face and he throws picks when that happens. That is killer, with how the Defense played vs. the Pats you should have won big time.

Basileus777
11-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Here are the numbers.

Obviously some of this is due to strength of schedule, so take it for what it's worth, but those are the numbers. People like the hate on the Bears, but we're in the top half of the league in every single category.

The Ravens also have 14 more sacks. Most of the defensive statistics only have the Bears with a slight edge over the Ravens. If the Ravens played in the NFC, they would be the #1 defense is all those categories. But the main factor is that the Ravens offense doesn't turn the ball over like the Bears do. Until that changes the Bears are going to be rightfully criticized for it.

bearsfan_51
11-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Here are the numbers.

The Ravens also have 14 more sacks. Most of the defensive statistics only have the Bears with a slight edge over the Ravens. If the Ravens played in the NFC, they would be the #1 defense is all those categories. But the main factor is that the Ravens offense doesn't turn the ball over like the Bears do. Until that changes the Bears are going to be rightfully criticized for it.
Wow...I need to get my hands on that crystal ball you've got. I'm impressed. I said that S.O.S plays a part in it, but not that much. Bears have beaten just as many teams with winning records as the Ravens have.

When the Bengals beat the Ravens and the Bears beat the Vikes this week everyone will start saying the opposite thing. Fans in this league are so fickle from a week to week basis. We lose by 4 points to the Patriots and all of the sudden we're in a free-fall. Get real.

derza222
11-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Here are the numbers.

One of the most important ones. If not for Grossman I would vote for the Bears but Grossman has shown he cant take the pressure with 5-6 guys in his face and he throws picks when that happens. That is killer, with how the Defense played vs. the Pats you should have won big time.

That is a very important stat, and although the Bears create more turnovers, the Ravens certainly aren't slouches when it comes to getting the ball back to their offense. The Ravens do have the better turnover margin (tops in the league), theirs is +15 and the Bears is +10. Both are excellent, but when it comes to turnovers Ravens do get the edge, and turnovers are a huge stat. Granted it's not a huge difference, but regardless the Ravens have the edge. Basically by half a turnover a game, so it doesn't mean a ton, but again they do have an edge there however slight it may be.

bearfan
11-28-2006, 05:45 PM
I have the Bears better, Ravens go furthur cause they have a Vet QB where as we have Rex :?

danman253
11-28-2006, 05:48 PM
The best 9-2 is the Chargers

Smooth Criminal
11-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Baltimore is better but Chicago will go farther simply because they are in a very weak NFC.

Star Wideout
11-28-2006, 05:50 PM
That's arguable, the Chargers didn't look very impressive at home against the Raiders..

and the Ravens beat the Chargers.

danman253
11-28-2006, 05:51 PM
That's arguable, the Chargers didn't look very impressive at home against the Raiders..

The Chargers just went 4-0 without Shawn Merriman. They are my super bowl pick right now, I see no one who can stop LT.

KILLERSANTA
11-28-2006, 05:51 PM
I been saying the bears are overrated all year...I'm sticking by that....I voted for ravens

bearsfan_51
11-28-2006, 05:53 PM
I been saying the bears are overrated all year...I'm sticking by that....I voted for ravens
Speaking of overrated, how bout that Tony Romo?

Star Wideout
11-28-2006, 05:53 PM
[quote=danman253]The best 9-2 is the Chargers
The Chargers just went 4-0 without Shawn Merriman. They are my super bowl pick right now, I see no one who can stop LT.
I agree they should be scary once Merriman, and Castillo return...

my only question is How will Rivers perform in the playoffs?

bearsfan_51
11-28-2006, 05:55 PM

How will Steve McNair perform in the playoffs?

draftguru151
11-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Of these two, the Ravens, in general, the Chargers. I see it as either the Colts or the Chargers to win the AFC/SB.

Smooth Criminal
11-28-2006, 05:58 PM

He's been there before and taken a team to the superbowl. It'll be interesting to see if Rivers can get it done in the playoffs.

Thats the difference in the playoffs. You play good teams every week so you can't be carried by 1 guy. If there is any hole in your team it will be exploited.

Star Wideout
11-28-2006, 05:58 PM
I don't think that's much of an issue, McNair is a 12 year veteran who's been there many times before.

and as we've seen in the past, young QBs generally struggle in the playoffs...but with LT on your team Rivers may not even have to do much at all.

bearsfan_51
11-28-2006, 06:00 PM
I don't think that's much of an issue, McNair is a 12 year veteran who's been there many times before.
Who hasn't been there in years and is very limited in his abilities at this point in his career. I'd take Rivers over McNair no matter what the situation.

danman253
11-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Rivers has been very impressive this year and has outperformed everyones expectations

Number 10
11-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Here are the numbers.

The 2 Most important aspects of football in January....taking care of the ball and stopping the run.

bearsfan_51
11-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Here are the numbers.

The 2 Most important aspects of football in January....taking care of the ball and stopping the run.
And running the ball. It's not like the Bears are slouches at stopping the run, it's still under 100 yards per. Give me a sec, I'll look up the stats for the NFC, since this is what the argument is really about.

bearsfan_51
11-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Ok well by your standards the Bears and the Cowboys should be the best two teams in the playoffs.

Of the teams likely to make the playoffs the Cowboys are #1 in run defense and the Bears are #2. The Bears are #1 in turnover margin and the Cowboys are #2.

frogstomp
11-28-2006, 06:13 PM
Here are the numbers.

And running the ball. It's not like the Bears are slouches at stopping the run, it's still under 100 yards per. Give me a sec, I'll look up the stats for the NFC, since this is what the argument is really about.

As for running the ball, Jamal Lewis is starting to run harder and stronger again. The Ravens running game isn't as good as the Bears yet, but it's definitely picking up, from what I've seen of the past 3 games.

Basileus777
11-28-2006, 06:14 PM
Ok well by your standards the Bears and the Cowboys should be the best two teams in the playoffs.

Of the teams likely to make the playoffs the Cowboys are #1 in run defense and the Bears are #2. The Bears are #1 in turnover margin and the Cowboys are #2.

I don't think many would really dispute that the Bears and Cowboys are the two best teams in the NFC.

bearsfan_51
11-28-2006, 06:17 PM

I don't think many would really dispute that the Bears and Cowboys are the two best teams in the NFC.
Then unless people feel like the Ravens will make the AFC Championship game, the vote should go to the Bears.

Maybe there is just a lot of love for the Ravens...personally I still am not sold on their offense compared to the Colts or the Chargers.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
Turnover margin is really more important than just taking care of the ball. if you turn the ball over once, not a big deal, but if you dont force any, you lose the turnover battle. If you give up two, but force three or four, you have a better chance.

Anyway, I hate to do this as a Broncos fan, but I think the Chargers might be the best team period, regardless of record.

Star Wideout

Yup IMO they will be the #1, and #2 seeds in the NFC respectively.

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Bears Total Turnovers 34.
Ravens Total Turnovers 29.
Even with those i would still pick Baltimore to win it all because
A.Rex Grossman has lack of playoff experience.
B.Rex Grossman when pressured and gets hit turns the ball over to much.
C.Steve McNair has plenty of playoff experence.
D.Steve McNair more mobile.
Baltimore wins.

11-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Baltimore wins.

The question isnt so much can the Ravens beat the Bears, but can they beat 2 or 3 out of Denver, KC, Cincy, San Diego, Indy or New England? That's tougher. The Bears will most likely cruise to the NFC Championship game, at least.

Cavalier17
11-28-2006, 06:29 PM
JLew is back. This keeps the D (most vital part of Ravens) resting while the offense is driving the field. McNair is a vet leader, meanwhile Grossman has a lack of experience and turns the ball over under pressure, which is what happens in the playoffs. I think Rex has a day like Eli did last year against Carolina, and they were even home. If Bears are on road and Rex doesn't play well, they are done.

bearsfan_51
11-28-2006, 07:14 PM
Baltimore wins.

The question isnt so much can the Ravens beat the Bears, but can they beat 2 or 3 out of Denver, KC, Cincy, San Diego, Indy or New England? That's tougher. The Bears will most likely cruise to the NFC Championship game, at least.
Exactely. And Steve McNair isn't more mobile than Grossman. He hasn't been since 2002.

dcarey20
11-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Call me a homer but of course I had to go with the Ravens..if we continue to play like we did against Pitt, it will be hard for anyone to beat us.

jkpigskin
11-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Here are the numbers.

so true

our offense is coming along and we are just hitting stride... jamal is getting back to form after billick took over the play calling.. our passing game has multiple threats with mason, clayton, williams, and heap...

also i dont think theres a defense in the NFL that fires up their offense as much as the ravens do... also the ravens have had an int in all but one games and have had sacks in every game

Ravens1991
11-28-2006, 08:25 PM
Jamal is looking good, McNair was 1 yard short of a super bowl victory so I think he will come in pumped up since this is probably his last chance.

PalmerToCJ
11-28-2006, 08:47 PM
I'm not extremely impressed with the Ravens at this point.

They're obviously a good team, I just feel their record is just a tick better than they've played. Say if they were 7-4 that would seem about right to me.

ccB
11-29-2006, 09:09 AM
both teams suck.

sweetness34
11-29-2006, 09:40 AM
Call me a homer but of course I had to go with the Ravens..if we continue to play like we did against Pitt, it will be hard for anyone to beat us.

Oh you mean that inept Pittsburgh team this week? Don't mean to harp on ya but that win is not very impressive (well 27-0 is impressive but it's the Steelers), considering Pittsburgh is blowing monkey balls this season (they lost to the friggin Raiders).

Not that the Bears beating the crap out of San Fran and Buffalo is any better, but you did lose to Carolina at home as well, a team that just lost to Washington.

I know this isn't saying much with Rex but I question Air McNair's durability and Boller behind him. At least we've got a solid vet if Rex goes down. Plus we have 3 very capable RB's in TJ, Cedric, and AP. Who's behind Lewis on the depth chart?

And Jamal Lewis has rushed big against teams who give up over 100 yard per game on the ground. The best rush defense he's rushed against in the past 3 weeks or so has been Pittsburgh, and they're ranked about 9th or 10th in the league at 100yd/pg...The other two are giving up over 115 a game in Cincy and the Titans.

rchrd
11-29-2006, 10:27 AM
When the Bengals beat the Ravens and the Bears beat the Vikes this week everyone will start saying the opposite thing. Fans in this league are so fickle from a week to week basis. We lose by 4 points to the Patriots and all of the sudden we're in a free-fall. Get real.

To be fair I notice that a lot more from the bears fans than others. It's a good thing though, it's why people like you guys because you're not so far up your own a**** that you can see daylight through the other end.

sweetness34
11-29-2006, 10:38 AM

To be fair I notice that a lot more from the bears fans than others. It's a good thing though, it's why people like you guys because you're not so far up your own a**** that you can see daylight through the other end.

Whoo Hoo!! I see the light rchrd. :D

Btw, I can't get enough of that Crystal Palace quote in your sig. Cracks me up everytime I read it. :lol:

TIP
11-29-2006, 10:43 AM

As a PItt Fan, lemme say, Freaking USC could have destroyed us last game. NO discredit to you, but that was the most pathetic display I've ever seen from an O-Line. It's the same s*** every game. Bad O-Line play, stupid turnovers and stupid penalties. If you can do that to a good team...I'll be impressed.

ccB
11-29-2006, 10:58 AM

Oh you mean that inept Pittsburgh team this week? Don't mean to harp on ya but that win is not very impressive (well 27-0 is impressive but it's the Steelers), considering Pittsburgh is blowing monkey balls this season (they lost to the friggin Raiders).

Not that the Bears beating the crap out of San Fran and Buffalo is any better, but you did lose to Carolina at home as well, a team that just lost to Washington.

I know this isn't saying much with Rex but I question Air McNair's durability and Boller behind him. At least we've got a solid vet if Rex goes down. Plus we have 3 very capable RB's in TJ, Cedric, and AP. Who's behind Lewis on the depth chart?

And Jamal Lewis has rushed big against teams who give up over 100 yard per game on the ground. The best rush defense he's rushed against in the past 3 weeks or so has been Pittsburgh, and they're ranked about 9th or 10th in the league at 100yd/pg...The other two are giving up over 115 a game in Cincy and the Titans.You really cant gauge our team by who we beat and lost to. I mean we beat the chargers and people have them as the best team in the league. But at the same time weve lost to the Panthers who have been a dissapointment.

The win against the steelers was impressive because the steelers usually always give us a tough game and we completely destroyed them. More of a moral victory.

Also at RB we have Musa Smith and Mike Anderson backing up Jamal. Both are quality back ups IMO.

Both teams have unimpressive offenses and great defenses. Both teams have had pretty easy schedules. But in the end both teams are 9-2 and top 5 teams in the league so you cant discredit either one.

Shane P. Hallam
11-29-2006, 11:08 AM
Chargers are best 9-2 team, no doubt. They were bound to have a letdown against the Raiders, who have a decent defense.

I think the Bears are more talented, but they will lose early due to QB play being inconsistent.

Ravens could face SD in the AFC Championship.

TIP
11-29-2006, 11:09 AM

And Jamal Lewis has rushed big against teams who give up over 100 yard per game on the ground. The best rush defense he's rushed against in the past 3 weeks or so has been Pittsburgh, and they're ranked about 9th or 10th in the league at 100yd/pg...The other two are giving up over 115 a game in Cincy and the Titans.

Be kind... :cry:

ccB
11-29-2006, 11:10 AM
I think its funny how alot of people were like "Oh the steelers are going to beat the ravens" Than once we completely demolish them people are like "Oh well they suck so thats unimpressive"

BigDawg819
11-29-2006, 11:32 AM

If you go back a few weeks you will see that the Ravens did stop LT.

bearsfan_51
11-29-2006, 11:35 AM
I think its funny how alot of people were like "Oh the steelers are going to beat the ravens" Than once we completely demolish them people are like "Oh well they suck so thats unimpressive"
Welcome to the life of a Bears fan.

CC.SD
11-29-2006, 11:49 AM

If you go back a few weeks you will see that the Ravens did stop LT.

Yeah, but they stopped LT because the Chargers only called 4 passes in the second half or something crazy. Martyball to a nauseating extreme, and it still took a last second drive for us to throw the game away. It was the last straw before Marty cut Rivers loose and we started really dominating.

I guarantee SD wins the rematch, possibly in the playoffs this year.

Shiver
11-29-2006, 01:03 PM
If the two played eachother, I think the Ravens would win. But by virtue of the NFC's suck-factor the Bears will go farther.

TIP
11-29-2006, 01:15 PM
WHo the hell said that? I'm a fan, but you had to know Baltimore was gonna gonna beat us.

jkpigskin
11-29-2006, 07:48 PM
WHo the hell said that? I'm a fan, but you had to know Baltimore was gonna gonna beat us.

o there was plenty... not just on this board, but in real life too

TitleTown088
11-29-2006, 08:18 PM

why do you think he's overrated? i'm not saying your wrong, but the guy seems pretty solid to me. 5 TDs in 1 game?

TIP
11-29-2006, 08:47 PM

why do you think he's overrated? i'm not saying your wrong, but the guy seems pretty solid to me. 5 TDs in 1 game?

They were playing the Suckaneers

TIP
11-29-2006, 08:48 PM

o there was plenty... not just on this board, but in real life too
Gotta be realistic, jesus, we had no shot

bearsfan_51
11-29-2006, 09:17 PM

Just trying to piss Cowboys fans off. :lol:

sweetness34
11-29-2006, 10:32 PM

Be kind... :cry:

Now you know what it's like to be a Bear fan. :P

Nah dude, good win against the Steelers, but McChandelier worries me if I'm a Raven's fan and Boller behind him.

11-29-2006, 10:35 PM
This would make for a great Super Bowl. Both great defenses, both offenses that run hot/cold. I really couldn't put a finger on who would win this game. If they both continued to play up to their current level and run through the playoffs, that really would be an intriguing Super Bowl to watch. It might end 6-3 though.

nrk
11-29-2006, 11:04 PM

Don't pull the "lost to this team who lost to this team" or Raven fans could say, you lost to Miami who lost to Pittsburgh who lost to Oakland, while Baltimore shut out Pittsburgh or you lost to Miami who lost to Houston.

SFbear
11-29-2006, 11:25 PM

Don't pull the "lost to this team who lost to this team" or Raven fans could say, you lost to Miami who lost to Pittsburgh who lost to Oakland, while Baltimore shut out Pittsburgh or you lost to Miami who lost to Houston.

Agreed. The transitive property has no place in football.

sweetness34
11-30-2006, 09:57 AM

But it's fun to do. :cry:

Then I could say, well the Bears beat the Giants, who beat the Cowboys who are supposedly the best team in the NFC right now. :P

I find it funny that first it was the Giants (not the Bears) who were the best team in the NFC going into the Sunday Night game in the Meadowlands. Then we beat NY at their place, and the media says, well if the Giants are the best team and they got beat by Chicago, then Dallas is the best team now. And if NY beats Dallas, the Giants will probably be the team to beat in the NFC again. :lol:

Mr. Stiller
11-30-2006, 10:22 AM
Right now.. I have Baltimore as my pick to represent the AFC in the Superbowl. They don't want to and will not be stopped.

The only things holding them back is a average line (Outside of ogden) and Jamal Williams.. If he turns things up... they'd be near unstoppable.

bearsfan_51
11-30-2006, 08:53 PM
Here are the numbers.

Wow...I need to get my hands on that crystal ball you've got. I'm impressed. I said that S.O.S plays a part in it, but not that much. Bears have beaten just as many teams with winning records as the Ravens have.

Just remember I said this. All the Superbowl bandwaggoners (see above post) are gonna jump off if Cincy holds on to win.

11-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Here are the numbers.

Just remember I said this. All the Superbowl bandwaggoners (see above post) are gonna jump off if Cincy holds on to win.

No kidding.

jackalope
11-30-2006, 09:28 PM
Bears won't go anywhere in the playoffs if Grossman can't get his act together

Smokey Joe
11-30-2006, 10:12 PM
Bears won't go anywhere in the playoffs if Grossman can't get his act together
Good dectective work Sherlock! Did Watson help you out on that one?

:P

Smokey Joe
11-30-2006, 10:13 PM
Congratulations 51!

bearsfan_51
11-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Congratulations 51!
T.J whose your Momma is right (well sort of anyway).

The Bengals are at least as good as the Ravens. The biggest difference between the two teams is that the Bengals have to play the Pats and the Colts and the Ravens don't.

Ravens1991
11-30-2006, 10:16 PM
interesting I didnt know they have to play the Pats and Colts, but I wonder if this will be a week by week thread, I assume it will be.