PDA

View Full Version : Salary Cap outlook

Mr. Stiller
05-30-2007, 12:09 PM
We've all been under the assumption that We can only afford 2 of the big 3 contracts looming this offseason.

They have approximately 30 guys under contract for 2008 at 79M... the Limit should be around 116M, we're 37M under.

If Essex/Kemo/Wallace got tendered at 2nd round tender that puts us at another 4.3M, totaling 83.3M

Counting this year and next years rookie classes adding approximately 8 players at 1M a piece (very over the top price), thats another 8M, putting us at 91.3M.

If they made Polamalu the highest paid safety at 6M a year and Faneca the highest paid guard at 7.1M, that would still leave us around 11M to fill out the roster(Which it won't cost that). Leaving us likely about 3-5M to dawdle in FA.

So it's not who can we afford to keep, it's at this point, who do we choose.

~~ Credits to Ian Whetstone at SCI.com

mikehop05
05-30-2007, 02:42 PM
We've all been under the assumption that We can only afford 2 of the big 3 contracts looming this offseason.

They have approximately 30 guys under contract for 2008 at 79M... the Limit should be around 116M, we're 37M under.

If Essex/Kemo/Wallace got tendered at 2nd round tender that puts us at another 4.3M, totaling 83.3M

Counting this year and next years rookie classes adding approximately 8 players at 1M a piece (very over the top price), thats another 8M, putting us at 91.3M.

If they made Polamalu the highest paid safety at 6M a year and Faneca the highest paid guard at 7.1M, that would still leave us around 11M to fill out the roster(Which it won't cost that). Leaving us likely about 3-5M to dawdle in FA.

So it's not who can we afford to keep, it's at this point, who do we choose.

~~ Credits to Ian Whetstone at SCI.com

dont forget resigning big ben

TerribleEd
05-30-2007, 05:15 PM
I would like nothing more than to see Faneca traded before spring training camp to avoid losing him for nothing or overpaying him. Regardless of reputation, he is in decline and will continue to decline.

Would be great if we traded Faneca for a second or third, then wind up spending a third on Jared Gaither if he declared for the draft. Scott Wright seems to think Gaither wont command much more than a 4th or 5th if he entered the supplemental, but I'd be willing to invest a 3rd on the upside.

How much cap space would we have then?!?!

Mr. Stiller
05-30-2007, 06:05 PM
dont forget resigning big ben

Which we'd still be left with 3-5M.

Mr. Stiller
05-30-2007, 06:06 PM
I would like nothing more than to see Faneca traded before spring training camp to avoid losing him for nothing or overpaying him. Regardless of reputation, he is in decline and will continue to decline.

Would be great if we traded Faneca for a second or third, then wind up spending a third on Jared Gaither if he declared for the draft. Scott Wright seems to think Gaither wont command much more than a 4th or 5th if he entered the supplemental, but I'd be willing to invest a 3rd on the upside.

How much cap space would we have then?!?!

Nearly the same amount.

I would garner Gaither with a 4th round pick (he's not "Elite", drafted purely on potential).

In which case, See how he and Capizzi do, if one shows LT potential, then you can have Keith Rivers, if not.. Barry Richardson, Gaither to RT and Capizzi for valuable depth.

TerribleEd
05-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Marvel Smith is signed through 2008-09 season, correct? Who's to say they don't extend him beyond that?

Mr. Stiller
05-31-2007, 01:21 PM
Marvel Smith is signed through 2008-09 season, correct? Who's to say they don't extend him beyond that?

He's signed through 2008, which makes next year a key year for adding a dominant LT.

I'm not saying they won't, but frankly, if they don't think extending Faneca a third contract and he's all-pro, I Doubt they're going to want to give an above average over the hill, with a pinched nerve to boot LT that hasn't played to the level he was in 2004.