PDA

View Full Version : Cuban Wants New League to Rival NFL...

JMiah
05-31-2007, 08:33 AM
Link below...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2887465

Splat
05-31-2007, 08:39 AM
"The NFL wants and needs competition," Cuban wrote

LOL!

Scar
05-31-2007, 08:40 AM
He's got a better chance of buying the Cubs and winning a World Series than making that league work.

JMiah
05-31-2007, 08:53 AM
He said it was simply supply and demand... and NFL fans want more football... Well, in a way, yes we do. I am jonesing for the season to start, but when NCAA and NFL get going, I have my weekends pretty freaking full! So if he slaps some 8 teams together and tried to gain viewers in the fall, no way it will work...

If he tries to get some kind of spring ball going, well, it will just have the same or less impact of Arena Football, which isn't bad, but surely isn't the same as the NFL. I am all for more football... let's just make it worth our while...

Scar
05-31-2007, 09:01 AM
If there were really that much of a demand to watch lesser talent playing pro ball, we'd all be glued to our TV's watching NFL Europe during the offseason.

Splat
05-31-2007, 09:01 AM
The thing is fans want good football not the next XFL it is so hard to start up a new league with new teams and new players that nobody knows anything about no way this works IMO.

Splat
05-31-2007, 09:02 AM
If there were really that much of a demand to watch lesser talent playing pro ball, we'd all be glued to our TV's watching NFL Europe during the offseason.

Bingo! we have a winner.

DaBears9654
05-31-2007, 10:06 AM
He's got a better chance of buying the Cubs and winning a World Series than making that league work.
Oh my gosh! He'd probably rename Wrigley Field as Mark Cuban Stadium just to see his name on it.

OK, so the Mavericks don't play home games in "Mark Cuban Arena" but he does seem to be full of himself.

eacantdraft
05-31-2007, 10:16 AM
The only monopolies people like is Sports monopolies. We don't want some new leagues to come and take away the talent from the established league.

This league will go the way of the XFL, USFL, WFL.

DeathbyStat
05-31-2007, 10:32 AM
Wasn't this tried by Vince McMahon.

And the XFL was superb wasn't it.

Geo
05-31-2007, 10:50 AM
Well, NFL Europa is hardly a quality product for television, what with their mundane at best offenses thanks to the limited amount of time they have to gel before the season. Not to mention this proposed league has teams from the States playing, and that's likely to draw more interest in the States, I would think.

That said, I'm not optimistic about this new league. Maybe if they were to play in the spring/summer to bridge the gap between NFL/CFB seasons, that might be the best course of action. Personally, NFL Europa isn't great to watch as I said earlier and Arena football feels too much like a gimmick to embrace.

As much as I hate to say it, the best chance this league has is to allow players to be drafted one year out of high school. Lure future superstars to play one or two years in the UFL and then either be drafted by the NFL or enter the free agent market when eligible. Reality being what it is, I think a number of young men would rather be paid to play (minor league) football than fulfill their college education, play college ball for the pomp and circumstance, or wait until they are drafted by the NFL.

WooWoo21
05-31-2007, 10:54 AM
You cant really compare this to the XFL, because what Vince tried to do was change the way the game was played. If Cuban wants his league to work he will have to sign big name free agents from the NFL who are already household names. Although I love the way the new commissoner is handling business and weeding out the badseeds it isnt hard to imagine players like Pac Man Jones, Mike Vick, Chris Henry, and Ricky Williams playing in another pro football league without having to face the constant scrutiny like they do in the NFL. If he is smart he wont try to compete with the NFL, he will make his league an accessory to it.

LionSmack
05-31-2007, 11:02 AM
That right there is the only valid point about this league having any chance. With Goodell cracking down, the NFL could turn into the good guy league and there will then be a niche for the bad boys. This new league could say, forget drug testing and personal conduct policies, we want good football players. Needless to say, that kind of strategy could really blow up in their face, but it would be a good way to get better talent right off the jump.

myinnerself
05-31-2007, 11:49 AM
It just won't happen, remember when Cuban had that brilliant idea for a TV show? Yeah, that worked out too.

M.O.T.H.
05-31-2007, 11:50 AM
It just won't happen, remember when Cuban had that brilliant idea for a TV show? Yeah, that worked out too.

This isnt Cuban's idea...

It is Wall Streeter Bill Hambrecht and Google executive Tim Armstrong's... Cuban just jumped on for the ride and to be the first team owner.

Mr. Stiller
05-31-2007, 12:40 PM
The idea is to have 8 teams as "Farm Teams", like Double AA teams in Baseball.

frogstomp
05-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Honestly, they should try and combine their league with the CFL. That way they have an existing fanbase, and can simply try to expand the league. The CFL's major problem is that it on has a few teams, and the competition sucks. If they could add another 8 teams, and bring in some draft picks, the league could grow.

bored of education
05-31-2007, 01:02 PM
That would be like NFL Europa over here or more similar to the NBDL. I doubt their would be an direct affiliation for the teams to a parent NFL team since the amount of teams is far less than those in the NFL. It could work if properly executed and thought out. A league for development of linemen, defenders, Qbs etc with each team having some elder ex-NFL players. Brett Favre for instance lol.

Have some contracts work out where the NFL team has rights to a player for one development season, then a chance ot put them on the team for that fall or bring them to camp and waht not. Then a free agent for therestof the NFL or this league.

I could see this league with the executives in place having contracts be voided and the NFL team having to pay that organization and that player to invite them to camp. Another revenue generator.

I don't know I'm just thinking aloud.

M.O.T.H.
05-31-2007, 01:09 PM
Like i said in the other thread... if they start making bids on 3rd round caliber players, they may just have something. Money speaks volumes, I'm sure they could pry some of these college boys away.

TigerBait45
05-31-2007, 01:32 PM
It worked for the AFL (and to an extent the USFL). I think if they execute this right it could work.

They'll never compete head to head with the NFL but if they play games when there isn't NFL football it could work out. I'm all for this. Competition is good for everyone.

tom
05-31-2007, 02:16 PM
It sounds like a great idea to me... with so many people in love with AFL, I think there would be as many, if not more fans eager to watch UFL games... they could have their draft the day after the NFL draft and have rounds 8 through 14... and possibly try and steal some of the lower level players going into the NFL... remember than rookies in rounds 3 onwards don't get paid much at all, so getting them would be quite easy.

GiantRutgersFan
05-31-2007, 02:28 PM
They just got to have mandatory contract's for their draft which would exceed the amount a second or third round player would get in the NFL draft.

Since there is only gonna be 8 teams, I dont see why each team wouldnt be able to get like 5 guys a year who otherwise would have went in the 3-5th rounds of the NFL draft.

It all just depends on them finding about 8 owners who are willing to see this through and spend the money and they could have something decent going on.

Go_Eagles77
05-31-2007, 04:17 PM
I heard some of the cities they are intersted in getting a Franchise in are LA, Las Vegas and Mexico city.

ElectricEye
05-31-2007, 04:41 PM
Honestly, they should try and combine their league with the CFL. That way they have an existing fanbase, and can simply try to expand the league. The CFL's major problem is that it on has a few teams, and the competition sucks. If they could add another 8 teams, and bring in some draft picks, the league could grow.

That's actually a pretty decent idea. Have a US and a Canadian Division. Scoop up 3rd round guys, and try to make something happen.

High Roller
05-31-2007, 04:51 PM
That's why NBA and MLB aren't as big as NFL...there are games every day and they're not special. The NFL schedule is 16 games - 17 weeks. As much as I would like to watch Football year round, it could be detrimental to the way I view the game.

On the other hand, NFL will always be viewed as the highest level of competition, so standout rookies won't give up going to the NFL for some wanna-be copycat. Stupid idea, he's just money hungry.

Sveen
05-31-2007, 07:39 PM
That's why NBA and MLB aren't as big as NFL...there are games every day and they're not special. The NFL schedule is 16 games - 17 weeks. As much as I would like to watch Football year round, it could be detrimental to the way I view the game.

I absolutely agree. Bad idea.

Crazy_Chris
06-01-2007, 12:44 AM
The only monopolies people like is Sports monopolies. We don't want some new leagues to come and take away the talent from the established league.

Exactly my Feelings

steelersfan43
06-01-2007, 12:58 AM
More games/another league would be annoying. Thats part of the fun of football, every freaking game matters, not like basketball where theres so many a clump of ten just gets shrugged off

cunningham06
06-01-2007, 01:38 AM
This is the best idea since the XFL... Wait a minute!

eacantdraft
06-01-2007, 08:30 AM
You cant really compare this to the XFL, because what Vince tried to do was change the way the game was played. If Cuban wants his league to work he will have to sign big name free agents from the NFL who are already household names. Although I love the way the new commissoner is handling business and weeding out the badseeds it isnt hard to imagine players like Pac Man Jones, Mike Vick, Chris Henry, and Ricky Williams playing in another pro football league without having to face the constant scrutiny like they do in the NFL. If he is smart he wont try to compete with the NFL, he will make his league an accessory to it.

Only the criminal element and their prison groupees would interested in something like that.

Splat
06-01-2007, 09:01 AM

Yep Yep the way I see it.

Jay
06-01-2007, 09:34 AM
I like this idea if they are smart and don't try to actually compete with the NFL. I like it if they continue to put teams in markets without pro football. So you can have teams in Mexico City, Las Vegas and LA like mentioned, then maybe there are teams in Portland, Oregon, Hartford (the new UConn Stadium), Memphis, San Antonio, etc. It could work that way. I don't think anyone will ever be able to compete with the NFL. Ever. So they would be smart to simply try and work with them...