PDA

View Full Version : NFL bans alcohol for team functions

Splat
05-31-2007, 03:21 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/05/31/alcohol.ban.ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- NFL clubs may no longer serve alcohol at team functions or on buses or flights, extending a ban that until now applied only in locker rooms.

NFL owners and executives were told Thursday by commissioner Roger Goodell that the rule pertains not only to players but to owners, coaches and guests.

Goodell = The Law

Severe Punishment
05-31-2007, 03:24 PM
What exactly took so long to do this ?

Splat
05-31-2007, 03:26 PM

People like beer.

GiantRutgersFan
05-31-2007, 03:29 PM

Why should it be banned?

these guys are 21, so whats the big deal?

If we could start drinking in the field house after HS football, the pro's should be able to do so.

Plus not drinking on the plane would suck. If you want players to act mature, you got to treat them like they are mature.

No Fun League strikes again

AlexDown
05-31-2007, 03:38 PM
It's not about if someone is old enough to drink or not.

The NFL is an orginzation with a rules and standards.These are used to create and uphold their vision of maintaining a quality institute.

Severe Punishment
05-31-2007, 03:41 PM
Why should it be banned?

If we could start drinking in the field house after HS football, the pro's should be able to do so.

Plus not drinking on the plane would suck. If you want players to act mature, you got to treat them like they are mature.

No Fun League strikes again
It's not the leagues responsibility to make sure that these players have access to drink and a place to do it at.
When they do it on their own time, at their own place....and then "something goes wrong" the league can't be held accountable.
Plus, what exactly does drinking have to do with athletic prowess ?
I'll (for now) completely disgregard the beliefs of players being "role models".

If you want to be treated as if you're an adult you first have to behave like one. Not vice versa.

....also, if you're 21 and still in High School we have bigger problems than whether or not you're "allowed" to drink.

Severe Punishment
05-31-2007, 03:42 PM
People like beer.
Is this an arguement or just a statement ?

GiantRutgersFan
05-31-2007, 03:45 PM
It's not the leagues responsibility to make sure that these players have access to drink and a place to do it at.
When they do it on their own time, at their own place....and then "something goes wrong" the league can't be held accountable.
Plus, what exactly does drinking have to do with athletic prowess ?
I'll (for now) completely disgregard the beliefs of players being "role models".

If you want to be treated as if you're an adult you first have to behave like one. Not vice versa.

....also, if you're 21 and still in High School we have bigger problems than whether or not you're "allowed" to drink.

People are allowed to drink on airplanes. they serve alcoholic beverages, so why should players be excluded?

Severe Punishment
05-31-2007, 03:48 PM
People are allowed to drink on airplanes. they serve alcoholic beverages, so why should players be excluded?
Because they're not traveling on thier own "dime". The league pays for everything and is responsible. This is no different than the company you work for holding an event. If they allowed alcohol to be served, and if you drank and say got into a car wreck. Then the company could very well be held accountable.

The league is just looking out for the league. Which SHOULD be looking out for itself.

I'm pretty sure if they want to be stupid on their own time (and have drinks on flights with say their family on vacation) then that's their buisness. When the league foots the bill and they're "members" of an orginization. Then the rules alter.

Moses
05-31-2007, 04:23 PM

After several incidents involving DUIs and such that left some pro athletes dead, all of the major leagues are cracking down on this.

BPSL-Baller
05-31-2007, 05:11 PM
idk this seems unecesary

Splat
05-31-2007, 05:23 PM
Is this an arguement or just a statement ?

Statement I agree it should have been done along time ago.

That being said this has been a bad off season for the NFL there has been alot of stuff making the NFL look pretty shady. I'm glad RG is laying the law down it is about time someone did.

BlindSite
05-31-2007, 05:39 PM
This is kind of ********, they should make it legal for teams to ban alcohol, but not blanket ban it all together, why punish the good guys who just have a quiet couple of drinks because some morons go over board?

GiantRutgersFan
05-31-2007, 05:41 PM
what the hell are you talking about?

is what im talking about

Moses
05-31-2007, 05:44 PM
is what im talking about

Isn't the legal drinking age 21 in the USA? How could any high school kids drink legally?

ATLDirtyBirds
05-31-2007, 05:45 PM
Stupid rule. Who cares if they toss back a few? If they can't due it on NFL anything, they will just go out to bars, and be even more public about it.

Moses
05-31-2007, 05:46 PM
Stupid rule. Who cares if they toss back a few? If they can't due it on NFL anything, they will just go out to bars, and be even more public about it.

Are you allowed to drink at work? ;)

GiantRutgersFan
05-31-2007, 05:52 PM
Isn't the legal drinking age 21 in the USA? How could any high school kids drink legally?

is not legal. just saying it happened.

Whenever we won, someone who was in college and used to play for us would buy us a bottle or 2 and we would pass it around in the field house before going home and getting ready to go out to someones house for a party/get together.

jkpigskin
05-31-2007, 05:53 PM
this doesnt say that nfl players cant drink at all, just not at team parties and stuff....
people can live without a drink for a day or 2...

goodell=respect

Moses
05-31-2007, 05:58 PM

Whenever we won, someone who was in college and used to play for us would buy us a bottle or 2 and we would pass it around in the field house before going home and getting ready to go out to someones house for a party/get together.

This is irrelevant because it is illegal...

BlindSite
05-31-2007, 06:00 PM
Are you allowed to drink at work? ;)

On Fridays we start having beers at about 3:30pm when we don't close till 5:30, we're sensible, only have one or two, sometimes if its really quiet and I'm doing paperwork I'll have a third, we've never had a problem.

TheChampIsHere
05-31-2007, 06:48 PM
What is the point of this? Why shouldnt players be allowed to have a drink on the plane after a game? Not only that, but like you said it applies to everyone, a player or coach could have his family or friend/guest there and they cant have a drink, the owner cant have one...To me, its just uneccesary. Is it important that teams be allowed to have drinks? Of course not. But what exactly is so bad about having some drinks that he thinks it needs to be banned entirely.

Goodell is trying to be a disciplinarian and clean up this league and Im all for it. But he walks a fine line. If hes gonna do this right, he needs to have the support of players/coaches/owners, etc., they have to feel that he's being fair in his methods. If the suspensions are excessive (as they have been) and players/coaches/etc feel they are having their freedom unnecessarily cut down upon, then comes resentment. And Goodell can only be a succsefull commish if he has the support and respect of the people in the league, and he needs to remember that.

stephenson86
05-31-2007, 07:15 PM

awwwwwwww cute did it make you feel like a big boy?

skinzzfan25
05-31-2007, 07:23 PM
On Fridays we start having beers at about 3:30pm when we don't close till 5:30, we're sensible, only have one or two, sometimes if its really quiet and I'm doing paperwork I'll have a third, we've never had a problem.

That's what should be allowed. They are adults, and should be able to hold themselves responsible for their actions. You don't hear that Jim Sorgi was poundin down shots then going out to strip clubs and beating hoes down.

Besides, we all know they are gonna do it anyway. Nobody is gonna go and tell Papa Goodell that somebody had a beer at a team catered event.

Moses
05-31-2007, 07:24 PM
That's what should be allowed. They are adults, and should be able to hold themselves responsible for their actions. You don't hear that Jim Sorgi was poundin down shots then going out to strip clubs and beating hoes down.

Besides, we all know they are gonna do it anyway. Nobody is gonna go and tell Papa Goodell that somebody had a beer at a team catered event.

Did you not hear about the baseball player who was DUIing after practice, got into an accident, and died? Teams just want to protect themselves from this.

skinzzfan25
05-31-2007, 07:32 PM
Did you not hear about the baseball player who was DUIing after practice, got into an accident, and died? Teams just want to protect themselves from this.

Josh Hancock? or are you talking about somebody else.

princefielder28
05-31-2007, 07:35 PM
Great job by the NFL and it will prevent against any occurences like Josh Hancock

Moses
05-31-2007, 07:38 PM
Josh Hancock? or are you talking about somebody else.

Probably. I don't follow baseball very closely.

skinzzfan25
05-31-2007, 07:43 PM
Great job by the NFL and it will prevent against any occurences like Josh Hancock

Well he was under the influence of Marijuana as well as being twice over the legal limit, and got into a crash days before. If anything, the MLB and his teammates should have stepped up and done something about it. He had all the signs for something bad to happen.

One situation from somebody who obviously had problems should not ruin it for everybody else.

Moses
05-31-2007, 07:46 PM
Well he was under the influence of Marijuana as well as being twice over the legal limit, and got into a crash days before. If anything, the MLB and his teammates should have stepped up and done something about it. He had all the signs for something bad to happen.

One situation from somebody who obviously had problems should not ruin it for everybody else.

There have been other incidents I believe. If players are drinking in the clubhouse, what are they going to do after? Drive home of course. There's no reason for that to happen.

skinzzfan25
05-31-2007, 07:57 PM
There have been other incidents I believe. If players are drinking in the clubhouse, what are they going to do after? Drive home of course. There's no reason for that to happen.

Meh, I just think that they don't need to be babied. They are making enough money to have a personal driver. If you can't even make out a teammates words, drive him home or call a cab.

Besides, all away games they are taken back by bus. Then they can just go get piss drunk later at a club.

The rule really does nothing

EDIT: I guess the NFL could be doing this so they aren't held responsible for any DUIs. Nobody is going to stay around the stadium or team headquarters and drink anyway lol.

If anything it promotes off location drinking, which seems more dangerous in my opinion.

GiantRutgersFan
05-31-2007, 08:00 PM

so what??? No one is getting wasted in the clubhouse after playing a game...

These are grown men. they have better things to do.

And as for Josh Hancock, he's a dumbass. one bad apple shouldn't spoil the bunch.

And his parents suck too. they are suing everyone now for no reason. its not Budwieser, the MLB, the Cardinals, the bartender, or anyone else to take responsibility. Its your own life, live it how you want. personal responsibility goes a long way...

Im from the school of thought of chill the F out. Just cause theres a couple dumbasses, doesnt mean everyone else should get the shaft

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-31-2007, 08:08 PM
Why should it be banned?

Uhh No Amobi Okoye is 20.

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-31-2007, 08:45 PM
so what??? No one is getting wasted in the clubhouse after playing a game... how do you know?

These are grown men. they have better things to do.
Your right none of them will get drunk and drive.
And his parents suck too. they are suing everyone now for no reason. its not Budwieser, the MLB, the Cardinals, the bartender, or anyone else to take responsibility.relevance?
Its your own life, live it how you want. personal responsibility goes a long way... this doesnt mean everybody has personal responsibilities.
Im from the school of thought of chill the F out.wow cool. Just cause theres a couple dumbasses, doesnt mean everyone else should get the shaftI suppose everybody was calling Josh Hancock a dumbass before he died.

TheChampIsHere
05-31-2007, 11:21 PM

so should we close bars down because sometimes ppl get drunk there and drive drunk and get in an accident??? Stuff is gonna happen sometimes with adults making poor choices. This doesnt mean we should go out an declare martial law and cut back everyones rights and treat them like children. I think Goodell really does mean well, but I dont like the direction he's heading.

Severe Punishment
06-01-2007, 01:18 AM
so should we close bars down because sometimes ppl get drunk there and drive drunk and get in an accident??? Stuff is gonna happen sometimes with adults making poor choices. This doesnt mean we should go out an declare martial law and cut back everyones rights and treat them like children. I think Goodell really does mean well, but I dont like the direction he's heading.
Which direction exactly is that ?

The "You won't tear this league down because you are not bigger than it" belief to the prima donna 3rd tier players (chris henry, pac man jones, tank johnson ect) who believe they're something they're not ?

Or the "you claim to be adults, so if you're going to do something completely moronic ...we're not going to be anywhere near involved in your individual decision making process" ???

I'm curious as to how anyone could have a problem with this.
It's not like Roger G told these guys to sober up. He's protecting the
bigger picture. And to the little kids who are under the notion that
Anhieser bush is relying on athletes (and not the fans) to support their product all I have to say is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

GiantRutgersFan
06-01-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm curious as to how anyone could have a problem with this.
It's not like Roger G told these guys to sober up. He's protecting the
bigger picture. And to the little kids who are under the notion that
Anhieser bush is relying on athletes (and not the fans) to support their product all I have to say is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

cause Goodell is being a hairy little vag.

Just let people do whatever they want. Its not a problem, so no need to make random ass rules just for no reason.

Scar
06-01-2007, 09:21 AM
This is an idiotic policy. It isn't the team or league sponsored events where these guys have been getting wasted or out of control. It's been when these guys are off on their own time with their own friends that they've been getting into trouble. This policy does NOTHING to address that issue.
But hey, now the guys can all enjoy a post-game San Diego to New England flight without the benefit of getting to throw back a beer or two to ease the aches and pains they just collected while earning the league millions upon millions of dollars earlier that afternoon. Excellent work, Mr. Commish!

eacantdraft
06-01-2007, 09:35 AM
This is an idiotic policy. It isn't the team or league sponsored events where these guys have been getting wasted or out of control. It's been when these guys are off on their own time with their own friends that they've been getting into trouble. This policy does NOTHING to address that issue.
But hey, now the guys can all enjoy a post-game San Diego to New England flight without the benefit of getting to throw back a beer or two to ease the aches and pains they just collected while earning the league millions upon millions of dollars earlier that afternoon. Excellent work, Mr. Commish!

It's an idiotic policy that is needed because there is lots of idiots in the league (and sports in general) who can't controll themselves. The NFL is just protecting itself from the ambulance chasers in case if something like Josh Hitchcock happens to one of it's players and the family of that player decides to sue the NFL.

John Hitchcock parents should be countersued for incompetent parenting if they want to go down the lawsuit pathway.

Scar
06-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Agreed. Deep pockets attract frivolous lawsuits. However, that's all this policy change is, a CYA for the league. It doesn't address the problem of drunken player misbehavior in the least.

JF4
06-01-2007, 10:13 AM
The players just need to learn the art of pre-drinking. Than they'll be all set.

Moses
06-01-2007, 11:03 AM
yeah, i take that stance too. what good are laws? i should be able to kill someone if i want. i should be able to drive no matter how intoxicated i am. i mean, these players NEED liqour at all times. who is their employer to tell them they can't have it? i mean, just because 95% of all employers in other areas prohibit liqour at work doesn't mean that NFL players shouldn't be able to do whatever they want, whenever they want. i mean, they're millionaires. they'll absolutely make the right decision every time and never embarass their employer. do you ever think before you talk, or are you too busy trying to be the internet cool guy?

njx9, we should be able to do whatever we want! Being a high school student who has never had a job, I feel that I'm in a great position to argue the benefits of being allowed to slam back a few beers during/after work. I mean, at my job at Walmart we all get hammered in the break room!

Scar
06-01-2007, 11:05 AM
The problem I have with this rule is that it's a slap in the face of players who drink responsibly. It's treating them like children to tell them that they can't have a glass of wine or a beer on a cross country flight after a game. So much for kicking back to relax after working hard all afternoon for the league's benefit. Of all the black eyes the league has received, how much of it has occurred because of something that happened while the players were at a team event? Hardly anything. It's when the irresponsible players are off on their own, not already being chaperoned because team officials know they're trouble, that all the incidents happen.
It's this policy that is missing the point.

Moses
06-01-2007, 11:10 AM
The problem I have with this rule is that it's a slap in the face of players who drink responsibly. It's treating them like children to tell them that they can't have a glass of wine or a beer on a cross country flight after a game. So much for kicking back to relax after working hard all afternoon for the league's benefit. Of all the black eyes the league has received, how much of it has occurred because of something that happened while the players were at a team event? Hardly anything. It's when the irresponsible players are off on their own, not already being chaperoned because team officials know they're trouble, that all the incidents happen.

NFL cannot control what players do during their own time. Just like any other employer.

If you worked at an office job, would you expect to be allowed to knock back beers during company time on company property?

GiantRutgersFan
06-01-2007, 11:16 AM
The NFL is not an office job....

and business people are allowed to drink beers at dinners with clients, on lunch break, and on flights for business trips, which is where the NFL is restricting this.

Scar
06-01-2007, 11:23 AM
I do work an office job, and yes, at appropriate times the firm buys drinks and we drink them in the conference rooms. There's a case of beer and a couple bottles of champagne in the fridge right now. Drinking alcohol does not immediately indicate unprofessionalism and poor behavior. Do you have any clue how many billion dollar deals are closed over drinks at happy hour, or while drinking on the golf course?
The inane assumption being made is that every time an NFL player gets his hands on a beer, it's an Animal House situation.
The reality is that at team and league functions, the players are already being watched and controlled by team and league officials and there isn't a problem that isn't already being addressed.
All the bad publicity the league has endured has been at the hands of players on their own time. If they want to stave that off, it's time to start writing stronger personal conduct policies into contracts which would, in fact, allow them to control what the players do on their own time.
Telling Tom Brady that he can't have a beer while he's stuck on a cross-country flight for 5 hours after a game accomplishes absolutely nothing.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
06-01-2007, 11:24 AM
There aren't too many places of employment that would allow their employees to drink on the job... why should the NFL be any different?

Edit - oops, apparently this has been discussed already.

Scar
06-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Explain to me how this rule does ANYTHING to actually solve the problem other than just allowing the league to turn their back on the problem and pretend they've addressed it.
Explain to me how the Viking press release regarding the sex cruise would read anything different than this was the actions of a few players, not the team.
Explain to me how Mike Vick not drinking a beer at a team dinner is going to keep him from having dog fights.
Explain to me how Tank Johnson not drinking a beer on the flight home is going to keep him from laying guns on his coffee table, smoking weed, and getting drunk at a club later.
Yes, a few rotten players have been out control. Yes, the league should address that. Yes, many of the steps taken lately address that. No, this particular policy does not do anything over than provide the league with a cheap party line to feed the media next time a player does something stupid. It's a pointless policy that does nothing in reality except punish the vast majority of players that do know how to behave themselves.

bored of education
06-01-2007, 11:51 AM
alcohol is used on luncheons with clients to relax the mood allow them to feel comfrotable with the host, etc

Scar
06-01-2007, 12:06 PM
The players can still behave like idiots on their own time, menacing society and still being black eyes for the league...but hey, congrats league, you can now say we don't condone it! Really? Wow, thanks for for clearing that up. I thought you guys were getting them wasted and then sending them out so you could film "Quarterbacks Gone Wild Vol IV."
Sorry, I don't mean to be a smartass, but that's just how ridiculous I find this policy.

I can, in fact, see this rule hurting the league. Let's say the league is sitting down with a big potential sponsor like Coors. Coors officials, league officials, a few star players to wow the suits sit down for a big dinner...can you see where I'm going with this?

All I'm saying is that this is an empty gesture by the league to pretend they're being tought and cracking down. It has no real effect on any real problem. Players are going to continue their misdeeds in the exact same manner they did before Goodell thought up this nonsense. It's a blurb on page 5 of the sports section that is going to be entirely forgotten and ridiculed when Mike Vick is indicted and makes headline news.

Namy
06-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but the NFL can implement whatever rules they want. If the players don't like it, then they can just quit. The league has had a struggle with public image recently, and alcohol can definitely be a catalyst for many of the ill decisions that these players make. Is it wrong for the NFL to try to ban alcohol from team sponsored events (NOT the player's personal time). It's NOT TOO strict by any means; in fact, it's a whole lot more professional. Drinking alcohol on the job is not allowed in most occupations, so I don't know what the big hairy deal is really.

Scar
06-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Implementing a clueless policy doesn't exactly aid in the league's image as a competent organization. Sure, this policy might sound good on the surface, but wait until it they try and apply it. In the best case scenario, it will be regarded as pointless.

Severe Punishment
06-01-2007, 12:27 PM
cause Goodell is being a hairy little vag.

Just let people do whatever they want. Its not a problem, so no need to make random ass rules just for no reason.
I'm sorry did you just advocate for anarchy ? ...so if I went over and did something completely stupid and riddiculous that caused harm to yourself or a member of your family, then nothing should be done ???

This is perhaps your pinnacle of lunacy.

Rules are in place for a reason. Whether you like them or agree with them or not. They're almost always to benefit the greater good. Not the whinning minority who won't conform because it isn't "cool".

Severe Punishment
06-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Might want to re-read it again there sporto, the policy only
is in effect for team sponsored events and pre/post game events.
Personal time isn't infringed upon. Get over it.

If they can't unwind without the "beer or two" (while taking a few hour flight) then there's a larger problem than winning or losing the game to them. And did you bother to read the article and get an understanding of all that's involved here ?? The PLAYERS...let me say that again...the PLAYERS themselves jumped aboard this and signed on.
So why do you have a bigger issue with this than the people that are actually affected by this ?

Severe Punishment
06-01-2007, 12:38 PM
The problem I have with this rule is that it's a slap in the face of players who drink responsibly.
Exactly how is this the case ?
Treating them like any other employee in this country is hardly reason
to grandstand and make a deal out of this....especially when there has yet to be a single player to speak out against this "rule".

It's treating them like children to tell them that they can't have a glass of wine or a beer on a cross country flight after a game.
hahahahahaha. Wow.
So, then to you, the ONLY way one can be an "adult" is to throw down booze after a game ??? great reasoing there. :rolleyes:

So much for kicking back to relax after working hard all afternoon for the league's benefit. Of all the black eyes the league has received, how much of it has occurred because of something that happened while the players were at a team event? Hardly anything.
Congrats, you've hit the nail on the head. The league has now taken a stance BEFORE anything major has happened. NOW the league is free from
any future lawsuits that might've taken place had an "athlete" or team official gotten plastered at an event and plowed his SUV into a family on their vacation. Kudo's to the league to taking PREVENTATIVE MEASURES.
In this country far to few companies take the initiative to actually try and stop players from killing themselves or others.

It's when the irresponsible players are off on their own, not already being chaperoned because team officials know they're trouble, that all the incidents happen. The league frowns upon those players and incidents too. But they're not contributing to the # of incidents by supplying the venue and the means to get stupper'd up and then send them home in a #3000 vehicle that can travel upwards and over 90MPH.

You have yet to make a reasonable logical or substantiated point.

SubNoize
06-01-2007, 12:38 PM
I agree with the ban as being an employer's right to control the actions of it's employees. The one thing I thought of when I heard this though, is that the NFL has an official beer in Coors, so they're banning a product that in turn they're helping endorse. To me this seems a little hypocritical unless they break their sponsorship w/ Coors.

Severe Punishment
06-01-2007, 12:42 PM
I agree with the ban as being an employer's right to control the actions of it's employees. The one thing I thought of when I heard this though, is that the NFL has an official beer in Coors, so they're banning a product that in turn they're helping endorse. To me this seems a little hypocritical unless they break their sponsorship w/ Coors.
They're not banning players from drinking. Players can still have a Coors (or beer of choice) on their time away from the team. So I don't think it's hypocritical at all.

SubNoize
06-01-2007, 12:57 PM
but that's the players time... on NFL time, the company that has the sponsorship, players can't indulge, which if I were Coors I'd take this into consideration. Obviously we don't see the players drinking on the field, but I mean the message coming across is that "We don't want our players indulging in alcohol because it has potential dangers, but hey we don't mind if you the consumers partake in alcohol consumption at our games."

Scar
06-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Very simply put, this policy does nothing on on it's own. The league is well within their legal rights to establish policies that mandate players represent the league in a professional manner while on their own time. Don't believe me? Those of you with better jobs than running the cash register at the Citgo station might want to go check your employee handbooks and that slew of documents you signed off on when you took your jobs.
All of the player behavior problems are occurring when the players are away from team and league events. This policy does nothing to address player behavior while away from the team. That is why it is totally absurd to put a policy in place to further control an already controlled and maintained environment. If coupled with stronger away from the team regulations, I'd have no issue with it. As is, it's garbage.

It is a policy which only stops responsible players from doing something they do responsibly while allowing irresponsible players to continue their irresponsible acts.

Speaking of hypocrisy, do you think the league is going ban beer sales at stadiums and drinking while tailgating? How about the aforementioned Coors sponsorship? Wouldn't want to think the league is condoning drunk driving by it's fans, would we?

Mr. Stiller
06-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Very simply put, this policy does nothing on on it's own. The league is well within their legal rights to establish policies that mandate players represent the league in a professional manner while on their own time. Don't believe me? Those of you with better jobs than running the cash register at the Citgo station might want to go check your employee handbooks and that slew of documents you signed off on when you took your jobs.
All of the player behavior problems are occurring when the players are away from team and league events. This policy does nothing to address player behavior while away from the team. That is why it is totally absurd to put a policy in place to further control an already controlled and maintained environment. If coupled with stronger away from the team regulations, I'd have no issue with it. As is, it's garbage.

Speaking of hypocrisy, do you think the league is going ban beer sales at stadiums and drinking while tailgating? How about the aforementioned Coors sponsorship? Wouldn't want to think the league is condoning drunk driving by it's fans, would we?

Didn't they ban glass bottles from Cleveland?

tom
06-01-2007, 01:33 PM
People are acting as if Drinking alcohol is a privilage! It's not, it's a right!!!

If players want to drink, then they should be able to drink... alcohol is legal, so anybody who says that you can't drink is taking your civil rights away... this is almost as bad as people being jailed in guantanamo.

SubNoize
06-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Nowhere near the same, this is a hippie ACLU vag statement. Your employer has the right to do whatever they deem fit to promote a safe and practical work environment. If this means ridding lockerooms and events of booze to prevent dumb ass athletes from trying to "make it rain" on female reporters, or make idiotic statements then so be it.

Severe Punishment
06-01-2007, 02:06 PM
but that's the players time... on NFL time, the company that has the sponsorship, players can't indulge, which if I were Coors I'd take this into consideration. Obviously we don't see the players drinking on the field, but I mean the message coming across is that "We don't want our players indulging in alcohol because it has potential dangers, but hey we don't mind if you the consumers partake in alcohol consumption at our games."
This is all under the assumption that the beer companies actually care about the people who consume their product though...they don't.

IMO, Coors might have a problem if the league came down and took a stance against drinking altogether. The Beer companies themselves market their product under the blanket known as "responsible drinking"...the NFL taking a more responsible role could only further their marketing campaign to push their product under the same blanket

...ie "Even the NFL knows realizes our product can be enjoyed under appropriate "responsible" conditions."
Again, the NFL isn't "bitting the hand that feeds" it's simply eleviating potential lawsuits and another (and much larger) black eye...should something happen. Honestly it's probably a small miracle that nothing (involving these types of events and say a serious crash, especially involving an innocent party) has happened.

SubNoize
06-01-2007, 02:20 PM
No, doubt I actually re-evaluated this, and I was thinking that even alcohol companies don't want their employees drinking on the job, and that it's not hypocritical to endorse something and ban it from worksite at the same time, it's just promoting responsible consumption on your own time.