PDA

View Full Version : Top AFC Corners

Denver Bronco99
05-31-2007, 04:59 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=215714

1. Broncos. Dre' Bly gives the team another ballhawking man-to-man defender to pair with seven-time Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey. Nickel back Domonique Foxworth has the top-end speed to match up with slot receivers.

2. Raiders. Nnamdi Asomugha and Fabian Washington excel in one-on-one coverage and have above-average speed, great instincts and solid tackling skills. Nickel back Stanford Routt has blazing speed but gets beat too often.

3. Ravens. Chris McAlister has the strength and speed to match up with any receiver. Samari Rolle struggled last season but still is savvy. Backups Ronnie Prude and Evan Oglesby lack experience.

4. Patriots. If potential holdout Asante Samuel returns, he and Ellis Hobbs will form a solid duo. Hobbs has the ball skills and temperament to be a No. 1 corner. If Samuel leaves, Eugene Wilson could move from safety to corner, his college position.

5. Jaguars. Rashean Mathis and Brian Williams have solid man-to-man coverage skills, are physical jamming receivers and are fearless in run support. Nickel back Terry Cousin (5-9, 185) lacks ideal size but is a savvy veteran who makes plays.

6. Chargers. Quentin Jammer has become a shutdown force and is an excellent tackler. Drayton Florence is fast and would be among the league's best if he were more consistent. Antonio Cromartie needs experience.

7. Chiefs. Ty Law and Patrick Surtain don't run as well as they once did, but they can hold up for at least one more season. Nickel back Benny Sapp has distinguished himself more as a blitzer than as a cover guy.

8. Jets. Rookie Darrelle Revis gives the team a corner with big-time potential. Andre Dyson is solid and won't embarrass the defense. David Barrett has been slowed this offseason by sports hernia surgery

9. Steelers. Ike Taylor is proven but had a lapse in confidence last season. Bryant McFadden still has upside. Nickel back Deshea Townsend is steady but not a playmaker.

10. Titans. With Pacman Jones suspended, the team will rely on Reynaldo Hill and newcomer Nick Harper. Nickel back Cortland Finnegan was solid in 2006, and the Titans also would like to get first-round pick Michael Griffin on the field.

11. Texans. Hard-hitting Dunta Robinson, whose career has stuttered after an excellent rookie season, is due for a breakout year. Demarcus Faggins knows the defense and tackles well. Jamar Fletcher and Fred Bennett are vying for the nickel job.

12. Bengals. First-round pick Leon Hall will push Deltha O'Neal for the starting job opposite Johnathan Joseph. Hall is a smart, physical run defender who is effective in man, zone or press coverage.

13. Bills. Terrence McGee gets burned on double moves but has good quickness and ball skills. Recently signed Jason Webster is small but experienced and works well in zone coverage. Kiwaukee Thomas excelled as the nickel corner last season.

14. Dolphins. Will Allen is the strongest coverage corner. Andre' Goodman (shoulder) might miss the start of training camp. Travis Daniels could regain his starting job from Goodman, and Jason Allen's switch from safety to corner will add depth.

15. Colts. Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden will need time to adjust to being starters. The key to the transition is whether Tim Jennings settles in as the No. 3.

16. Browns. Leigh Bodden is talented, but his projected breakout in 2006 was ruined by ankle issues. Rookie Eric Wright has just one year of big-time college football under his belt. Journeyman Kenny Wright is an adequate backup.

TOP 5 AFC CORNERBACKS

1. Champ Bailey, Broncos. There's Bailey -- and there's the rest of the cornerbacks. He has the whole package: size, quickness, recovery speed, ball skills. On top of that, he's the best run-stopping corner in the NFL.

2. Chris McAlister, Ravens. He's a physical player who matches up best against big wideouts. His ability to take away receivers gives the Ravens' front seven time to get to the quarterback and allows their defense to take risks.

3. Rashean Mathis, Jaguars. His most impressive attributes are his closing speed, soft hands and change-of-direction skills. Though he's an excellent ballhawk, his technique could use some work.

4. Nnamdi Asomugha, Raiders. The Raiders ask him to cover top receivers one-on-one, and he has the size, speed and strength to handle the job. With eight interceptions in '06, he emerged as a big-time playmaker.

5. Asante Samuel, Patriots. He's almost always in position to make plays, which he proved by intercepting a league-high 10 passes last season. He's not the biggest guy but makes up for that with smarts and excellent instincts.

Ewing
05-31-2007, 05:02 PM
The Chiefs at seven is a joke.

Michigan
05-31-2007, 05:29 PM
2. Raiders. Nnamdi Asomugha and Fabian Washington excel in one-on-one coverage and have above-average speed, great instincts and solid tackling skills. Nickel back Stanford Routt has blazing speed but gets beat too often.

there's an understatement

adschofield
05-31-2007, 05:30 PM

You're right, they should be at six

Severe Punishment
05-31-2007, 05:34 PM
As much as it pains me to say it...the Packers not being up there in the top 16 is enough for me not read anything more than the team names and laugh.

The Bronco's without question should be ranked #1 for starting CB talent.
Everything after that is debateable though.

Splat
05-31-2007, 05:35 PM
As much as it pains me to say it...the Packers not being up there in the top 16 is enough for me not read anything more than the team names and laugh.

This was for the AFC.

Shiver
05-31-2007, 05:36 PM

The Bronco's without question should be ranked #1 for starting CB talent.
Everything after that is debateable though.

The Packers have one of the AFC's best corners..:rolleyes:

Splat
05-31-2007, 05:37 PM

Why who is better after them on this list? The Chiefs were 16th in the NFL in D last year if people watched them play they would know they stepped it up last year it was there O that killed them as crazy as that sounds.

05-31-2007, 05:47 PM
Why who is better after them on this list? The Chiefs were 16th in the NFL in D last year if people watched them play they would know they stepped it up last year it was there O that killed them as crazy as that sounds.

Ah, the irony.

jkpigskin
05-31-2007, 05:51 PM
thats a very respectable top 5, really agree with that and finally we get an "experts" rankings on corners (which there have been 320493210 threads)

but the ravens have corey ivy??

EdReedUnstoppable
05-31-2007, 05:58 PM
3. Ravens. Chris McAlister has the strength and speed to match up with any receiver. Samari Rolle struggled last season but still is savvy. Backups Ronnie Prude and Evan Oglesby lack experience.

You forgot about Corey Ivy he was our nickel last year and he was a great nb, and the guy who is the supposed nickel of the future David Pittman, Ogelsby will hopefully not make the team.

BlindSite
05-31-2007, 06:01 PM
Did they do the nFC yet?

kmartin575
05-31-2007, 06:03 PM

Should they be higher or lower then?

jkpigskin
05-31-2007, 06:04 PM
and i just noticed, their top 5 corners for AFC might as well be the top 5 corners for the NFL

for the nfc, carolina is no doubt the top team
Carolina: Lucas, Gamble, and Marshall make up one of the best 1,2,3 combo in the league

BlindSite
05-31-2007, 06:08 PM
I am in love with Richard Marshall and I think he's going to be very valuable in a year or I think it might be two when Gamble is a free agent if we need to keep some other guys.

doingthisinsteadofwork
05-31-2007, 06:32 PM
Saying Fabian has above average speed is about the stupidest thing Ive ever heard.

reese
05-31-2007, 06:41 PM
Saying Fabian has above average speed is about the stupidest thing Ive ever heard.

does he run like in the 4.3s

Paranoidmoonduck
05-31-2007, 06:44 PM
does he run like in the 4.3s

Ran an electronic 4.28 at the combine. Fastest official time to date I believe.

SuperMcGee
05-31-2007, 06:45 PM
I was somewhat surprised to not see us in the bottom 3. Also this is probably the first thing I've seen all year mentioning our CBs that mentioned Kiwaukee but not Youboty. Which is cool, because Kiwaukee is the man, even if I feel like killing him every time the ball bounces off of his hands.

BlindSite
05-31-2007, 07:18 PM
Ran an electronic 4.28 at the combine. Fastest official time to date I believe.

Yeah that sounds correct, I think DeAngelo Hall Michael Vick and even Rae Carruth were all close though.

SFbear
05-31-2007, 07:22 PM
The Packers have one of the AFC's best corners..:rolleyes:

Didn't you hear? Al Harris is just that good. Chad Johnson said so.

05-31-2007, 08:26 PM
Didn't you hear? Al Harris is just that good. Chad Johnson said so.

Same with Leigh Bodden, why the hell is he not ranked #1?

d34ng3l021
05-31-2007, 08:34 PM
Yeah that sounds correct, I think DeAngelo Hall Michael Vick and even Rae Carruth were all close though.

DeAngelo Hall ran like a 4.34 at the combine, but he wasnt planning on running at the combine.

I am not sure if Vick ran at the combine. I know he ran a 4.25 at VT though.

PalmerToCJ
05-31-2007, 09:02 PM
I feel the Bengals should be higher but then I realize a lot of it is based on potential. If Johnathan Joseph can learn how to catch he'll be a top CB and who knows what will happen with Hall so I understand why we're so low.

remix 6
05-31-2007, 09:09 PM
I feel the Bengals should be higher but then I realize a lot of it is based on potential. If Johnathan Joseph can learn how to catch he'll be a top CB and who knows what will happen with Hall so I understand why we're so low.

who else do u have?

O'Neal was overrated 2 years ago..he still is. He might even be cut since hes in the dog house..ratliff behind him. i know u have Hall but he has shown nothing and Jospeh hasnt shown much either. Potential wise..they are up there but right now..no

Shiver
05-31-2007, 09:31 PM
I am in love with Richard Marshall and I think he's going to be very valuable in a year or I think it might be two when Gamble is a free agent if we need to keep some other guys.

I love Richard Marshall, I think the Panthers would be better suited with him and Lucas starting. I am not a fan of Chris Gamble.

BlindSite
05-31-2007, 09:36 PM
Chris Gamble is a great athlete and a rabid competitor, he's also the special ed of the team.

He's very, very dumb apparently. Last year he was injured a lot like Ken Lucas but he should come back healthy this year. If he can get it together mentally which is a big probability since it'll be his fourth year in the same scheme then we'll be happy with a great nickel set.

if not, Richard Marshall will take his spot easily, that guy is going to be a big one in the league imo. He was a blanket even as a rookie and lays the wood when he hits, I can't wait to see how he develops this year.

dcarey20
05-31-2007, 09:52 PM
1. Champ Bailey, Broncos. There's Bailey -- and there's the rest of the cornerbacks. He has the whole package: size, quickness, recovery speed, ball skills. On top of that, he's the best run-stopping corner in the NFL.

2. Chris McAlister, Ravens. He's a physical player who matches up best against big wideouts. His ability to take away receivers gives the Ravens' front seven time to get to the quarterback and allows their defense to take risks.

3. Rashean Mathis, Jaguars. His most impressive attributes are his closing speed, soft hands and change-of-direction skills. Though he's an excellent ballhawk, his technique could use some work.

4. Nnamdi Asomugha, Raiders. The Raiders ask him to cover top receivers one-on-one, and he has the size, speed and strength to handle the job. With eight interceptions in '06, he emerged as a big-time playmaker.

5. Asante Samuel, Patriots. He's almost always in position to make plays, which he proved by intercepting a league-high 10 passes last season. He's not the biggest guy but makes up for that with smarts and excellent instincts.

^I really like that list...I would put Samuel at 4 and Asomugha at 5, and that would be my perfect list.

And about Richard Marshall, I agree with what everyone has said about him. I love him and he's a stud. He was one of my favorite 2006 prospects and I had him as a 1st round talent. I had him going to the Pats at 21 and I was really surprised when they took Chad Jackson over him in round 2. He would be a great asset to them now. He has a really bright future in Carolina. I think he's on par with Gamble in Carolina.

Hines
05-31-2007, 10:07 PM
dude the steelers should be before the jets man
bmac and ike r better than revis and dyson

hell i think townsend is better than dyson

i also think that the cheifs should be lower for a few
their corners r gettin up there in age
if they were still in there prime then they would be number 1 imo

PalmerToCJ
05-31-2007, 10:13 PM
who else do u have?

O'Neal was overrated 2 years ago..he still is. He might even be cut since hes in the dog house..ratliff behind him. i know u have Hall but he has shown nothing and Jospeh hasnt shown much either. Potential wise..they are up there but right now..no

O'Neal is just dependent on how hard he wants to play. He was lights out in '05, he really wasn't overrated. Last year he was angry about his contract and just didn't get it done. Regardless, Deltha is still a more than adequate #2 CB who will likely be playing for a new contract this season.

Johnathan Joseph has shown a ton, just ask Ravens fans. He was 6th (I believe) in pass deflections among all CB's last year despite not starting the entire year.

Hall is our nickel, despite being a rookie he's immediately one of the better nickels in the league.

With that said, we're not a top CB unit in the AFC... I realize that. But I don't feel we should be that low on the list.

Geo
05-31-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm all for the Colts' corners being ranked 15th, rank them 16th imo.

I absolutey love the corps that the team has built though - Marlin Jackson, Kelvin Hayden, Daymeion Hughes, Tim Jennings, and Michael Coe. It's the best the franchise has had as far as I can remember.

bored of education
05-31-2007, 10:43 PM
Coe and Hughes, I think will be very solid.

kmartin575
06-01-2007, 01:54 AM

Age doesn't really matter for the Chiefs corners. This is the tampa 2 defense so they are only expected to cover the short zones. They don't have to cover wide receivers all the way down the field. Law and Surtain are plenty capable of doing that. If we can get a pass rush as well as good safety/linebacker play then it could be very hard to pass on the Chiefs, of course assuming neither Surtain or Law go down which is a big IF.

kmartin575
06-01-2007, 01:55 AM

Ike Taylor sucked last year.

Addict
06-01-2007, 02:43 AM
and i just noticed, their top 5 corners for AFC might as well be the top 5 corners for the AFC

You're kidding me right? The top 5 guys in the AFC might as well be the top 5 guys in the AFC?

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t197/SjonnieTeiger/sherlock.jpg

Dam8610
06-01-2007, 04:42 AM
15? Ouch. List seems experience based to an extent though, so I guess it makes some sense.

As for the Top 5 CBs in the conference, they nailed it, but I'd put Samuel at 3 and move Mathis and Scrabble down a slot each.

CC.SD
06-02-2007, 11:58 AM
You're kidding me right? The top 5 guys in the AFC might as well be the top 5 guys in the AFC?

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t197/SjonnieTeiger/sherlock.jpg

He probably meant NFL.

"6. Chargers. Quentin Jammer has become a shutdown force and is an excellent tackler. Drayton Florence is fast and would be among the league's best if he were more consistent. Antonio Cromartie needs experience. "

Wow somebody out there finally agrees that Jammer is a great corner. He's not kidding about Florence's inconsistencies, the guy would honestly have had 10 picks last year plus a couple of walk in touchdowns, but his hands are made of cement. He finished the season with 3.

Cromartie will steal his job before week 4 this year.

princefielder28
06-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Good to see the Raiders getting some recognition

NIN1984
06-02-2007, 12:29 PM
After all the high draft picks we use on DBs Raiders better have one of the best units in the league..

Nnamdi Asomugha- Round One
Fabian Washington- Round One
Michael Huff- Round One
Stanford Routt- Round Two
Stuart Schweigert- Round Three

Plus the guys that didnít work out in recent years

Derrick Gibson- Round One
Phillip Buchanon- Round One

Thatís ridiculous

Mr. Stiller
06-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Ike Taylor sucked last year.

And Revis Has shut down how many NFL WR's?

Almost every player has a bad season, but you can't deny that Taylor shut out Chad Johnson 3x, Marvin Harrison 2x, Rod Smith. Not to mention the other #1's he faced that season.

Dam8610
06-03-2007, 01:51 AM
And Revis Has shut down how many NFL WR's?

Almost every player has a bad season, but you can't deny that Taylor shut out Chad Johnson 3x, Marvin Harrison 2x, Rod Smith. Not to mention the other #1's he faced that season.

Yeah, he really shut Marvin down on that huge TD play the Colts' offense opened with on MNF.

Mr. Stiller
06-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Yeah, he really shut Marvin down on that huge TD play the Colts' offense opened with on MNF.

Considering He was blitzing, no, I have to say he didn't do a good job of coverage.

After that, Harrison did nothing. But your right, if you get beat by a great WR once, you're obviously garbage, I'm glad Champ never got beat by Hines Ward.