PDA

View Full Version : The Ohio State Buckeyes-2007

Purple N Proud
05-31-2007, 05:50 PM
Now that Spring ball is in the books we can all forget about that ugly nc game and focus on next year. I know it's late but I still sometimes can't believe we didn't win that game. Whatever.

What do all you guys think of the new bucks?
Personally I see:
Youngstown St: W
Akron: W
Washington: W (at Seattle at night makes for an interesting scenario though, I don't think this one is the gimme many seem to think)
Northwestern: W
Minnesota: W
Purdue: W
Kent St: W
Michigan St: W
Penn St: L (flashbacks to a horrible 2005 outing at Penn State)
Wisconsin: L (really more of a toss-up then penn st, i think wisconsin has as many question marks as we do)
Illinois: W
Michigan: W (As long as it could be close, I'll never say I think Michigan will be us.)
So I'm thinking we'll be somewhere between 8-4 to 10-2 or so. There's always the chance of a team coming out of nowhere to stun us, and I think the records gonna be closer to 8-4.

I like our defense this year. Everyone questions our defensive line, especially our DT's. The DE's are gonna be beastly with Wilson and Gholston holding it up, and Rose coming in. One I think could surprise is Dexter Larimore. I know right now Denlinger and Worthington have the inside track, but I bet Dex ends up not just in the rotation but a starter. The LB's will be ridiculously talented and loaded with depth, and the defensive backfield should be just fine.

The offense has questions, but everyone knew it was coming. It could be a tough year for some Buckeye fans, longing for the Air It Out, Run up the scoreboard days of yesteryear. I think we'll be a lot more conservative, even to the point where Tressel-Ball makes its way back into our vocabularies. Nothing wrong with that though. If all we need is Beanie and Trapasso, so be it. I'm worried about the line (I know several starters were out during the spring), but if all else fails hey we got 3 good ones coming in 2008.

Overall, another solid year from the Bucks. It may be a disappointment to those expecting BCS every year, but it happens. We certainly have the talent to make another exciting run like last year.

TouchdownUSC
06-01-2007, 01:56 PM
i agree 100 percent with your list but id put another question mark by michigan as that could really be a toss up too. id say michigan has the edge but i think ohio state with beanie wells and a strong defense is capable of pulling off a win but they have to play a pretty much a perfect game. i personally think michigan will win but it will be extremely close again

NickBam
06-01-2007, 04:49 PM
i agree 100 percent with your list but id put another question mark by michigan as that could really be a toss up too. id say michigan has the edge but i think ohio state with beanie wells and a strong defense is capable of pulling off a win but they have to play a pretty much a perfect game. i personally think michigan will win but it will be extremely close again

I'll believe Chad Henne can beat OSU when I see it.

P-L
06-01-2007, 05:42 PM
I'll believe Chad Henne can beat OSU when I see it.
Chad Henne has the same winning percentage against Ohio State as every QB on Ohio State's roster has against Michigan. Secondly, I find it funny you fault Chad Henne for Michigan struggles. Do you remember in 2005 when Henne had one of his best game statistically of the season against Ohio State? Also, did you forget Henne putting up 267 yards, 2 TD, and 0 INT and his second best game of the season on that great Ohio State defense last year? Chad Henne has not been the reason for Michigan's struggles against Ohio State. Infact, Henne is one of the few Michigan players to elevate his performance during the big game.

OhioState
06-01-2007, 06:22 PM
I don't see us losing to Penn State. I think we will be looking for revenge for the whiteout and will put a whallop on them

TouchdownUSC
06-01-2007, 08:03 PM
i thought hennie was Michigan's the most impressive player in last years ohio state-michigan game. he did a great job overall

keylime_5
06-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Ohio State is gonna be loaded on defense this year moreso than last year. Unlike last year the Ohio State safeties will be a strength, not a weakness. And word has it that Larry Grant is looking great as the SLB. Hopefully a plattoon of he and Curtis Terry at sam, plus Marcus Freeman and Ross Homan at will should put the LBs as one of the best units in the land.

Doug Worthingon (6-7/285) is gonna be all big ten this year barring injury. You can write that one down. He's the 3rd best D-Lineman on the Bucks behind Gholston and WIlson. Robert Rose is a beast. I think Ohio State beats Michigan will Beanie Wells on the road, but probably loses to PSU or Wisconsin :( and goes to the Rose Bowl.

jbeans187
06-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Illinois will upset Ohio St.

OhioState
06-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Ohio State is gonna be loaded on defense this year moreso than last year. Unlike last year the Ohio State safeties will be a strength, not a weakness. And word has it that Larry Grant is looking great as the SLB. Hopefully a plattoon of he and Curtis Terry at sam, plus Marcus Freeman and Ross Homan at will should put the LBs as one of the best units in the land.

Doug Worthingon (6-7/285) is gonna be all big ten this year barring injury. You can write that one down. He's the 3rd best D-Lineman on the Bucks behind Gholston and WIlson. Robert Rose is a beast. I think Ohio State beats Michigan will Beanie Wells on the road, but probably loses to PSU or Wisconsin :( and goes to the Rose Bowl.

I am really hoping that Worthington will make the transition to DT well. We really need someone on the inside to step up as we are stacked at DE

Sniper
06-04-2007, 02:21 AM
Now that Spring ball is in the books we can all forget about that ugly nc game and focus on next year. I know it's late but I still sometimes can't believe we didn't win that game. Whatever.

What do all you guys think of the new bucks?
Personally I see:
Washington: W (at Seattle at night makes for an interesting scenario though, I don't think this one is the gimme many seem to think)
Northwestern: W
Penn St: L (flashbacks to a horrible 2005 outing at Penn State)
Wisconsin: L (really more of a toss-up then penn st, i think wisconsin has as many question marks as we do)
Michigan: W (As long as it could be close, I'll never say I think Michigan will be us.)
So I'm thinking we'll be somewhere between 8-4 to 10-2 or so. There's always the chance of a team coming out of nowhere to stun us, and I think the records gonna be closer to 8-4.

I like our defense this year. Everyone questions our defensive line, especially our DT's. The DE's are gonna be beastly with Wilson and Gholston holding it up, and Rose coming in. One I think could surprise is Dexter Larimore. I know right now Denlinger and Worthington have the inside track, but I bet Dex ends up not just in the rotation but a starter. The LB's will be ridiculously talented and loaded with depth, and the defensive backfield should be just fine.

The offense has questions, but everyone knew it was coming. It could be a tough year for some Buckeye fans, longing for the Air It Out, Run up the scoreboard days of yesteryear. I think we'll be a lot more conservative, even to the point where Tressel-Ball makes its way back into our vocabularies. Nothing wrong with that though. If all we need is Beanie and Trapasso, so be it. I'm worried about the line (I know several starters were out during the spring), but if all else fails hey we got 3 good ones coming in 2008.

Overall, another solid year from the Bucks. It may be a disappointment to those expecting BCS every year, but it happens. We certainly have the talent to make another exciting run like last year.

Washington: W
Penn St: W Anthony Morelli vs. the OSU defense?????? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Wisconsin: W I think Wisco has a good chance of being the #1 Most Overrated Team this year. They played nobody except for Michigan and Arkansas, and yes, they did beat Arkansas, but they lost by 2 touchdowns to U-M.
Michigan: L No possible way Henne leaves AA with an 0-4 record vs. OSU. OSU's defense couldn't stop Hart last year and they won't be able to this year. Granted, I'm a Michigan fan.
On the flip side, OSU's defense is very, very, very good. I just don't see enough out of their offense to make me think they will be able to have enough firepower to beat Michigan @ Michigan. They lost three of their top wideouts, best two return men, a Heisman winning quarterback, and because of this I don't expect them to win vs. Michigan.

gstock05
06-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Illinois will upset Ohio St.

LOL. Good one

jbeans187
06-04-2007, 02:29 PM
LOL. Good one

Im serious

Purple N Proud
06-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Im serious

Seriously misinformed

JCarver27
06-04-2007, 03:15 PM
let me go ahead and fill in the next 10 responses so we can move on:

jbeans187: Nuh uh
Purple N Proud: Yes huh
jbeans187: your mom is misinformed
Purple N Proud: yours is
jbeans187: yours is
jbeans187: i know you are but what am i
Purple N Proud: stupid
jbeans187: i'm rubber you're glue
Purple N Proud: I'M TELLING!!!!!!

Back to OSU...

Purple N Proud
06-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Darn straight I'll tell!

Purple N Proud
06-04-2007, 03:26 PM
But back to the buckeyes

I know it may not sound like the most solid of sources but my old o-line coach told me he was talking to Fickell and that he said nobody should question this defensive line it's gonna be one of the best. I am so excited to see our defense for this year.

keylime_5
06-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Worthington, Wilson, and Gholston are all high motor pass rushers who are all really good against the run. I expect all three to be all big ten - Gholston and Doug to be first team possibly. Denlinger is good too, he played a lot as a rFR behind the 3 'Ps': Pitcock, Patterson, and Penton.

princefielder28
06-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Ohio State will get absolutely man handled in the Wisconsin game. The Badgers defense will be very solid this year and the Buckeyes won't have an answer for PJ Hill or Travis Beckum

Sniper
06-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Ohio State will get absolutely man handled in the Wisconsin game. The Badgers defense will be very solid this year and the Buckeyes won't have an answer for PJ Hill or Travis Beckum

Yeaaaaaaaaa don't see that happening. OSU's defense will be one of the top defenses in the country and Wisconsin has no QB. I'd take Beanie Wells over PJ Hill and I hate the Buckeyes

Shane P. Hallam
06-04-2007, 05:32 PM
I think we lose 3 games, no matter what they are. Someone like Illinois MAY pull an upset, but we will upset someone else. We'll have a decent bowl bid

TouchdownUSC
06-04-2007, 05:59 PM
I think we lose 3 games, no matter what they are. Someone like Illinois MAY pull an upset, but we will upset someone else. We'll have a decent bowl bid

Yeah, i think Ohio State will be at a BCS bowl game no doubt.

Shane P. Hallam
06-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Oof, I wouldn't go that far, but Capital One isn't out of the question.

Sniper
06-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Oof, I wouldn't go that far, but Capital One isn't out of the question.

I hate to say this, but like I said earlier OSU could go 11-1. PSU is good, yes, but Anthony Morelli vs. that defense? If I'm the Buckeyes defense I'm salivating. Wisconsin doesn't have a quarterback and is breaking in a new LT. I like OSU to go 11-1, maybe 10-2 with a definite loss to Michigan :)

Shane P. Hallam
06-04-2007, 06:49 PM
The problem? We have multiple night games, against those teams we play poorly against away (i.e. PSU, Minny,) plus Illinois and Northwestern will be improved. Someone will hit us if Beanie gets hurt (as he is prone to do,) or our DTs and line break down. Teams will be able to run on us, we get 3 losses at least.

Sniper
06-04-2007, 06:51 PM
The problem? We have multiple night games, against those teams we play poorly against away (i.e. PSU, Minny,) plus Illinois and Northwestern will be improved. Someone will hit us if Beanie gets hurt (as he is prone to do,) or our DTs and line break down. Teams will be able to run on us, we get 3 losses at least.

If OSU loses 3 games I will throw a massive celebration (as long as one of them is to Michigan :) )I think they have too much talent, but you bring up a valid point

Shane P. Hallam
06-04-2007, 06:55 PM
It's a transition year. I think the guys ARE more hungry due to the loss to Florida, but we lost both DTs, and it will hurt our defense a lot. I'm not thrilled with the offense as all the WRs sound good on paper, but none have shined yet. They will gain experience and have a good streak if they can beat Washington. I'm hoping to head up to the Big House to catch the last game though, I'm ready for ANOTHER win.

Sniper
06-04-2007, 09:26 PM
It's a transition year. I think the guys ARE more hungry due to the loss to Florida, but we lost both DTs, and it will hurt our defense a lot. I'm not thrilled with the offense as all the WRs sound good on paper, but none have shined yet. They will gain experience and have a good streak if they can beat Washington. I'm hoping to head up to the Big House to catch the last game though, I'm ready for ANOTHER win.

Don't count on it :)

keylime_5
06-04-2007, 09:59 PM
Michigan's defense was kinda soft last year against us even with all those stars (Harris, Hall, Branch, Woodley). I think Beanie Wells will outdo what Jonathan Wells did to scUM in the big stinky house in 2001 and roll over the Wolvies' ver soft defense this year.

To win the game this year our defense can't give up 38 points this time. I think the pass rush of Worthingon, Gholston, Wilson, and Rose will keep Henne quieter than last year, and the fact that Jenkins, Russell, and coleman will be in the defensive backfield instead of Mitchell, O'Neal and Smith will do wonders for our pass D. Hart will get his yards, but I don't think he'll dominate like last year since we have MUCH quicker defensive linemen and more experienced linebackers this year (including 06 Bednarik winner Laurinaitis).

undefeated is definitely possible (more talented team than we had on the 2002 championship team, and possibly even more experienced). 11-1 is more likely though.

sodar21
06-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Run D was the biggest weakness last year.

Purple N Proud
06-04-2007, 10:43 PM
The offense I'm still iffy about but the more we talk about our defense the higher my hopes get haha. We're going to have to stay healthy on both lines but undefeated is definitely not out of the question. Man I can't wait to see this defense take the field.

jbeans187
06-05-2007, 12:07 AM
let me go ahead and fill in the next 10 responses so we can move on:

jbeans187: Nuh uh
Purple N Proud: Yes huh
jbeans187: your mom is misinformed
jbeans187: yours is
jbeans187: i know you are but what am i
Purple N Proud: stupid
jbeans187: i'm rubber you're glue
Purple N Proud: I'M TELLING!!!!!!

Back to OSU...

HAHAHA!!!! Thats awesome

Sniper
06-05-2007, 01:53 AM
Michigan's defense was kinda soft last year against us even with all those stars (Harris, Hall, Branch, Woodley). I think Beanie Wells will outdo what Jonathan Wells did to scUM in the big stinky house in 2001 and roll over the Wolvies' ver soft defense this year.

To win the game this year our defense can't give up 38 points this time. I think the pass rush of Worthingon, Gholston, Wilson, and Rose will keep Henne quieter than last year, and the fact that Jenkins, Russell, and coleman will be in the defensive backfield instead of Mitchell, O'Neal and Smith will do wonders for our pass D. Hart will get his yards, but I don't think he'll dominate like last year since we have MUCH quicker defensive linemen and more experienced linebackers this year (including 06 Bednarik winner Laurinaitis).

undefeated is definitely possible (more talented team than we had on the 2002 championship team, and possibly even more experienced). 11-1 is more likely though.

Ah don't count on another Bednarik for James L. I don't see so many turnovers falling into his lap this year. Pretty overrated LB. Yeah, the DEs are improved, but the middle of the line, where Hart gets most of its yardage, has some fresh faces. I say 135 and 3 for Hart, Michigan wins. Either way, should be a damn good game as always

keylime_5
06-05-2007, 11:25 AM
The middle of the Buckeyes' line has had big slow interior run stuffers who were better than anything you can ask for when a team ran it straight up the middle......but Mike Hart lives and dies on the stretch plays and off tackle stuff. Worthington and Denlinger with their quick hands and great mobility off the ball will be more effective in that kind of run defense.

JL had 5 sacks and 5 INTs, mostly in big games. Not to mention he got like 10 tackles a game. He was a little bit overated, but if he can shed more blocks this year then he should be beyond the Bednarik and closer to the Butkus or Lombardi (it's silly how no one ever wins more than one of each). Great players seem to make their own luck I think

Shane P. Hallam
06-05-2007, 01:33 PM
I think James does end up with a down year statistically, but he will still contribute a lot. Saying we'd go undefeated is ridiculous. We have a QB with very little in game experience, Beanie isn't Maurice Clarett, and there is still some flux in our DTs and WRs. We're facing an improved Big Ten, at night, away a lot. It won't be a 0 or 1 loss season...

OhioState
06-05-2007, 04:01 PM
I think James does end up with a down year statistically, but he will still contribute a lot. Saying we'd go undefeated is ridiculous. We have a QB with very little in game experience, Beanie isn't Maurice Clarett, and there is still some flux in our DTs and WRs. We're facing an improved Big Ten, at night, away a lot. It won't be a 0 or 1 loss season...

why can't you just be more optimistic? I mean you don't have to say we will win the NC but saying we could lose to Illinois? Cmon

keylime_5
06-05-2007, 05:43 PM

Craig Krenzel had 2 starts going into 2002, but other than that he was very inexperienced. Boeckman has been in the system for basically 4 years since he grayshirted and then redshirted, yet is only a junior. I wouldn't worry about our DTs if I were you, they will be inexperienced but very very talented. WR won't be what it has been, but Robiskie and Hartline saw a lot of PT last year and looked good; Small might suprise and emerge this year. Beanie was the #1 recruit in the class of 2006 out of high school, he has more potential than anyone on the team. He would've had like 1500 yards last year if Pittman didn't exist. Wells is gonna be our best player this year. Our schedule isn't that hard relatively speaking, 0 to 1 losses is very possible

Sniper
06-05-2007, 05:47 PM
The middle of the Buckeyes' line has had big slow interior run stuffers who were better than anything you can ask for when a team ran it straight up the middle......but Mike Hart lives and dies on the stretch plays and off tackle stuff. Worthington and Denlinger with their quick hands and great mobility off the ball will be more effective in that kind of run defense.

JL had 5 sacks and 5 INTs, mostly in big games. Not to mention he got like 10 tackles a game. He was a little bit overated, but if he can shed more blocks this year then he should be beyond the Bednarik and closer to the Butkus or Lombardi (it's silly how no one ever wins more than one of each). Great players seem to make their own luck I think

Hart also has the luxury of running behind the best lineman in America. I don't know if Worthington and Denlinger can handle him. Matter of fact the whole Michigan O-line is pretty damn good. Nevertheless, I would never expect a blowout either way, but I'm leaning towards Michigan because of the O firepower and the fact that the game is in Ann Arbor

keylime_5
06-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Yeah, no one's saying Michigan isn't supposed to win that game, I'm just saying that OSU has a really great shot and I can see exactly how we'd win if that happens. Not sure who I think will win that game yet though, too soon to tell since Michigan lost their defense and OSU lost their offense from 06.

But what I was pointing out is that Hart probably won't have a hayday running all the stretch plays this year because the Buckeye D-Line will be quick laterally and good run defenders for smaller guys. If Hart has a big day it would be between the tackles, which is not his forte. So UM's offense probably won't be as good in this game unless the DBs choke.

Sniper
06-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Yeah, no one's saying Michigan isn't supposed to win that game, I'm just saying that OSU has a really great shot and I can see exactly how we'd win if that happens. Not sure who I think will win that game yet though, too soon to tell since Michigan lost their defense and OSU lost their offense from 06.

But what I was pointing out is that Hart probably won't have a hayday running all the stretch plays this year because the Buckeye D-Line will be quick laterally and good run defenders for smaller guys. If Hart has a big day it would be between the tackles, which is not his forte. So UM's offense probably won't be as good in this game unless the DBs choke.

You kidding me? Mike Hart is an animal between the tackles. A guy his size is not supposed to be running inside, but dude loves contact and he breaks so many tackles. The first guy almost never gets him. But yes, OSU has a good chance to win. And your DB point is well taken, but who will you have matched up vs. Arrington (assuming he plays)

Phrost
06-08-2007, 03:05 PM
Ohio State is gonna be loaded on defense this year moreso than last year. Unlike last year the Ohio State safeties will be a strength, not a weakness.

Speaking up safeties you know that recruit we got, Rocco Pentello?

JCarver27
06-08-2007, 03:25 PM
why can't you just be more optimistic? I mean you don't have to say we will win the NC but saying we could lose to Illinois? Cmon
we could lose to illinois. i applaud JBond. i'm sick of all the homers from other schools out there who swear up and down that they could never lose to __________. it applies just as much to my favorite school, too.

did you think we'd lose to NW in 04?

gstock05
06-08-2007, 03:45 PM
I definitely thought there was a chance after we barely squeaked by Marshall that we could lose. We were a BAD team in 2004, mostly as a result of the off-field incidents post 2002 caused by Clarett and a few others.

2007 is completely different sorry to say. Can we lose to Illinois? Sure. Would I count on it, or even say there is a good chance? No. They're 1 year off from being a real talented team. They'll definitely surprise a few big 10 teams this year however. They have some talent for sure.

The 2007 OSU Michigan game won't come down to OSU's defense, or Michigan's defense. For both of these teams respectively, those are the sure things to be rock solid. The game will come down to which unit of OSU's offense, or Michigan's D will come together faster and put together a better final product.

And by the way Keylime, why are you so high on Worthington? Not saying he's a bad player, but Denlinger is the better guy as a DT. I like Worthington, but our 2 best defensive linemen play the defensive end spots in Lawrence Wilson and Vernon.

FWIW, I'm not all that worried about OSU's offense aside from the quarterback position. Quarterback doesn't have me worried as I'm confident whoever starts will play well, but inexperience always hurts. See Colt Mccoy last year. He played great throughout the year and has an awesome future, but his inexperience hurt him.

Who will be the breakout offensive stars for OSU in 2007? Take this FWIW. I'm not going to give you the obvious guys IE chris wells. If I'm picking two guys, I'm taking Brian Robiskie and Devon Lyons. Neither of them are going to be absolutely dominant top 5 pick type receivers, but I can see both of them being very solid mid-first round picks as receivers. Not only that, but they both have some real good size as they're both 6'3 or taller with great hands. Furthermore, the big receiver idea really works well in a power oriented offense built around chris wells.

Ray Small will have some flashes and get good amount of yards next year, but I don't think he'll be a full time starter, but rather a 3rd or 4th receiver, then starting punt/kick returner. Look out for him in the future however.

Phrost
06-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Who will be the breakout offensive stars for OSU in 2007? Take this FWIW. I'm not going to give you the obvious guys IE chris wells. If I'm picking two guys, I'm taking Brian Robiskie and Devon Lyons. Neither of them are going to be absolutely dominant top 5 pick type receivers, but I can see both of them being very solid mid-first round picks as receivers. Not only that, but they both have some real good size as they're both 6'3 or taller with great hands. Furthermore, the big receiver idea really works well in a power oriented offense built around chris wells.

Ray Small will have some flashes and get good amount of yards next year, but I don't think he'll be a full time starter, but rather a 3rd or 4th receiver, then starting punt/kick returner. Look out for him in the future however.

Robiski is a god. Someone I think Ginn's dad said that Robiski was more explosive than Ginn.

Purple N Proud
06-08-2007, 06:01 PM
i thought ginn sr. said ray small was a more explosive athlete then teddy, i dunno about you guys but right now i'm kinda sick of hearing sr. talk so much for his son. i know it's wonderful all he does for kids up in the cleveland area but it seems like he's just trying to stay in the spotlight.

keylime_5
06-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Worthington is a beast, man. He's gonna play probably 6-7/295 or so and he has very strong arms and hands, and very long arms so his long height probably won't be a problem in the leverage department. He has maybe the highest motor of any DLineman we've got, and he is a matchup nightmare in the passrush for OGs/Centers. I'm looking forward to seeing how well he penetrates this year. Probably the most athletic DT we've starter here at Ohio State in a long time. He'll remind us of a poor man's Richard Seymour type on the inside. I can't wait to see if/when he has a breakout year this year. The reports from the coaches are very promising regarding Doug.

On offense I think Robiskie and Wells of course will breakout, and I think Ben Person is gonna prove to be one of the best guards in the big ten his junior. I heard that he was pushing TJ downing for playing time last year since he came along so well. It would really help our offense out tremendously if Small breaks out.

Phrost
06-09-2007, 10:32 PM
i thought ginn sr. said ray small was a more explosive athlete then teddy, i dunno about you guys but right now i'm kinda sick of hearing sr. talk so much for his son. i know it's wonderful all he does for kids up in the cleveland area but it seems like he's just trying to stay in the spotlight.

You and me both. Didn't he say that Gonzalez was faster than Ginn too?

Sniper
06-09-2007, 10:48 PM
You and me both. Didn't he say that Gonzalez was faster than Ginn too?

Who's got the inside track at QB for you guys?

JCarver27
06-10-2007, 06:52 PM
I definitely thought there was a chance after we barely squeaked by Marshall that we could lose. We were a BAD team in 2004, mostly as a result of the off-field incidents post 2002 caused by Clarett and a few others.

2007 is completely different sorry to say. Can we lose to Illinois? Sure. Would I count on it, or even say there is a good chance? No. They're 1 year off from being a real talented team. They'll definitely surprise a few big 10 teams this year however. They have some talent for sure.did you think we would lose to NW in 04 before the season started?

gstock05
06-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Ted ginn sr. was talking about Ray Small, not Robiskie.

Second, Ginn sr. is infamous as a promoter. Sometimes he might say a hyperbole here or there to get attention to a recruit. Ray Small is a different type player than Ginn. Probably closer to Santonio Holmes than Ginn, although he's ideally a cross between the two.

Worthington is a beast, man. He's gonna play probably 6-7/295 or so and he has very strong arms and hands, and very long arms so his long height probably won't be a problem in the leverage department. He has maybe the highest motor of any DLineman we've got, and he is a matchup nightmare in the passrush for OGs/Centers. I'm looking forward to seeing how well he penetrates this year. Probably the most athletic DT we've starter here at Ohio State in a long time. He'll remind us of a poor man's Richard Seymour type on the inside. I can't wait to see if/when he has a breakout year this year. The reports from the coaches are very promising regarding Doug.

And you know this from the one spring game he's played in, and didn't do a whole lot? I'm just curious what you're basing your opinion off of.

Worthington will be a good interior pass rusher, but he hasn't even won the job over Dexter Larimore yet. His run stopping ability has me a bit worried, but I think he'll be a very good player in time.

keylime_5
06-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Based on what the coaching staff has been saying about Doug and the reports I've heard from insiders he is far ahead of Larimore as far as winning the job at DT. There's more that goes on than just the spring game, and he even played well in that.

OhioState
06-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Who's got the inside track at QB for you guys?

Todd Boeckmen

anyway, Doug Worthington switched inside from DE which means he would be fourth on the depth chart at DE so take that as you will. I really do hope though that he bulks up and can stop the run because if he can then he will be beast.

Phrost
06-14-2007, 01:00 AM
I don't understand OSU's inability to snap a top flight QB recruit...like a 5 star.

keylime_5
06-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Doug isn't as great of an edge pass rusher as guys like WIlson, Rose, and gholston are, but from the inside he is so strong and quick he creates a mismatch. If Coleman moves back to CB he would be 3rd on that depth chart instead of being the team's #1 safety like he is, so what's your point? Doug is our David Patterson/Darrion Scott type player this year, but bigger and better at the pass rush and not as much of an interior run stuffer as the other 2.

keylime_5
06-14-2007, 12:17 PM
I don't understand OSU's inability to snap a top flight QB recruit...like a 5 star.

Not many schools do that very often. Michigan has done it twice in the past 10 years with Henne and Mallett. USC does it every year basically. Texas does it every once and a while, etc. I'll take a Troy Smith over Henne or Mallett any day of the week.

Anyway, after this year that streak will probably come to an end if we snatch Terrelle Pryor- which the experts say is likely.

sodar21
06-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Not many schools do that very often. Michigan has done it twice in the past 10 years with Henne and Mallett. USC does it every year basically. Texas does it every once and a while, etc. I'll take a Troy Smith over Henne or Mallett any day of the week.

Anyway, after this year that streak will probably come to an end if we snatch Terrelle Pryor- which the experts say is likely.

Drew Henson was BIG BIG BIG time. Tom Brady was also a top prospect as was Brian Griese (going back a bit here). Can't remember Navarre's status. And the guy that was on the bench in 05 (Gui something can't spell his name) was also a top QB prospect but couldn't beat out Henne.

USC has had an amazing run lately with Palmer, Leinart, Booty, Sanchez, Corp and now Mustain.

With Texas the only big time guys I can think off are Vince Young and Chris Simms.

Florida State has got elite prospects over the past few years but pretty much all of them on the offensive side of the ball have been busts.

keylime_5
06-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Forgot Drew Henson. He was 5 star, but he sucked anyways, so that doesn't matter. Brady was a 4 star type recruit, not a big 5 star guy (even though they didn't really have stars back then)

Sniper
06-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Drew Henson was BIG BIG BIG time. Tom Brady was also a top prospect as was Brian Griese (going back a bit here). Can't remember Navarre's status. And the guy that was on the bench in 05 (Gui something can't spell his name) was also a top QB prospect but couldn't beat out Henne.

USC has had an amazing run lately with Palmer, Leinart, Booty, Sanchez, Corp and now Mustain.

With Texas the only big time guys I can think off are Vince Young and Chris Simms.

Florida State has got elite prospects over the past few years but pretty much all of them on the offensive side of the ball have been busts.

Matt Gutierrez is the guy you're looking for. Now on the Patriots. Just FYI