Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

I'm really confused on this. Why is Jake Long rated higher than Sam Baker if Long is projected to switch to RT after a couple of years in the NFL?

Because Jake Long is more dominant. Sam Baker is a tactician.. He's a great blindside pass blocker, but he has to develop Run blocking.. Jake Long is great at both, though he's too stiff for LT.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
      Because Jake Long is more dominant. Sam Baker is a tactician.. He's a great blindside pass blocker, but he has to develop Run blocking.. Jake Long is great at both, though he's too stiff for LT.
      Jake Long is one of the least fluid left tackles I've ever seen. I can't see him playing LT in the NFL.

So then, I think it would be a fair statement to say that Sam Baker is the best left tackle in the draft and Jake Long is the best OT in the draft.

Comment

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Jake does everything on brute strength (and he's got a lot of it), but Baker is a better tactician. Jake is so damn dominant though, it's almost not fair.

Comment

if Pittsburgh were picking high enough ... I wish we didn't have enough holes to fill.. i'd love to add this guy... I see Leon Searcy like RT Career.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
            if Pittsburgh were picking high enough ... I wish we didn't have enough holes to fill.. i'd love to add this guy... I see Leon Searcy like RT Career.
            Stiller your Inferno player may be one of the most incredible physical freaks ever.

Comment

I'm not sold that Long can play left tackle in the NFL but I think he has a better chance there than Levi Brown, who many felt could hold it down (even though Arizona is using him on the right side).

As you'll see when I re-launch the site I think Long ultimately rates somewhere in between Joe Thomas and Levi Brown as a prospect.
              Scott Wright, President
              Draft Countdown.com
              www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
              www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

My rule of thumb is you have to be Jon Runyan good to justify a right tackle in the top 15 or even the 1st round. If you're a left tackle, all you have to be is John Tait good to justify a top 15 pick. Basically an above average left tackle is just as valuable (if not more) as an elite right tackle.

Comment

Originally posted by StaticGator View Post
                  My rule of thumb is you have to be Jon Runyan good to justify a right tackle in the top 15 or even the 1st round. If you're a left tackle, all you have to be is John Tait good to justify a top 15 pick. Basically an above average left tackle is just as valuable (if not more) as an elite right tackle.
                  My opinion is biased, but I think Long can be as good as Runyan. Both mean, nasty road graders with incredible strength yet not very fluid. Thoughts?

Comment

Who says Long is ranked above Baker. The Sporting News ranks Long #13 behind both Baker at #4 and Hills at #12. It's way too early to forcast any serious rankings but I think Baker will be drafted ahead of Long as he is a solid LT prospect while I think Long's career will be at RT. As a RT, Barry Richardson at #17 isn't too far off to not be a serious candidate to pass Long as well. There's a long way to go yet before anybody really knows the final rankings.
                    And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SNIPER26 View Post
                      My opinion is biased, but I think Long can be as good as Runyan. Both mean, nasty road graders with incredible strength yet not very fluid. Thoughts?
                      In my limited observations, he seems like he has a more long, lean frame and not quite the compact, concentrated center of gravity of someone like Runyan or Shawn Andrews (who will probably take Runyan's spot when he's gone). If that's the case I'd be concerned about him being too lanky like Jeremy Trueblood and not able to get proper leverage on the stout left defensive ends and nose tackles.

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information