Philip Wheeler -OLB- Georgia Tech

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philip Wheeler -OLB- Georgia Tech

Is this guy anywhere near as good as his stats/profile would seem to indicate?

http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/..._philip00.html
    http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...ipwheeler.html

89 tackles, 14.5 TFL, 9 sacks, 5 PBUs in '06. He had 4 picks in '05. I haven't watched enough GT to form an opinion on the guy, but I imagine some of you guys have. Is this guy legit?

He's a very good linebacker, flies all over the place and is in on a ton of plays. Tenuta's scheme makes it much easier for linebackers to shine, so that could be the biggest knock on him coming out, but I thin he's a day one pick regardless.

"A real man makes his own luck." Billy Zane, Titanic

Originally posted by Emmitt Smith
    Donít quit, donít even quit.

Comment

Originally posted by moc182 View Post
      He's a very good linebacker, flies all over the place and is in on a ton of plays. Tenuta's scheme makes it much easier for linebackers to shine, so that could be the biggest knock on him coming out, but I thin he's a day one pick regardless.
      Exactly, which is why I am hesitant to say he's a day day lock. KaMichael Hall and Gerris Wilkinson have both had careers in that defense. Wilkinson was picked in the third round, but I have no idea where Hall is now.

The player to watch out for on Tech's defense is DE Michael Johnson.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

he has good speeds and will probably project as a weakside linebacker. has good pass rushing ability along with great athletiscm and uses that too make his plays. Around 6'2 225lbs

Hitman D for the sweet sig

Comment

He's one of the premier WLB prospects in the draft. Another one of those guys who flies all over the field and makes plays. I haven't seen a GT game where he wasn't a standout, I'd say he's better than Wilkinson or Hall.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Wheeler is a great playmaker at LB. Great athlete and very good at blitzing and in coverage. Fits in a lot of different schemes, I think he can be a very good player as a MLB in the tampa 2.

That is correct comahan
            I ******* LOVE YOU DG
            <3 dg

Comment

Any chance he could project to SAM? Oakland needs a SAM backer like a junkie needs a fix.

Comment

That's probably the one spot he doesn't project to.

That is correct comahan
                I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                <3 dg

Comment

Comment

Could Wheeler play ILB in a 3-4?

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Pete View Post
                      Could Wheeler play ILB in a 3-4?
                      Possibly Mack, but I don't think he's a great fit.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Love Phillip Wheeler. He's just got good instincts. As with most linebackers, unless you are of rare physical ability (the AJ Hawk's), it'll come down to a numbers game, so his workouts will be key. I really like him, but some reports have him closer to a 4.7, which would hurt him. Reminds me a bit of DeMeco Ryans, and as such, I agree with dg in that, I think his ideal spot might be as a 4-3 Mike backer ... although he could project to the weakside. He actually works fine as a cover 2 SAM backer, IMO. Not ideal, but he'd be fine. Most indications I've heard are that he's frame maxed ... so 3-4 OLB isn't likely. 3-4 ILB is not a good fit either. Could he handle it? Perhaps ... but not ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
                          Love Phillip Wheeler. He's just got good instincts. As with most linebackers, unless you are of rare physical ability (the AJ Hawk's), it'll come down to a numbers game, so his workouts will be key. I really like him, but some reports have him closer to a 4.7, which would hurt him. Reminds me a bit of DeMeco Ryans, and as such, I agree with dg in that, I think his ideal spot might be as a 4-3 Mike backer ... although he could project to the weakside. He actually works fine as a cover 2 SAM backer, IMO. Not ideal, but he'd be fine. Most indications I've heard are that he's frame maxed ... so 3-4 OLB isn't likely. 3-4 ILB is not a good fit either. Could he handle it? Perhaps ... but not ideal.
                          I really think he has the perfect skillset for 3-4 ILB, especially in a blitzing scheme like Pittsburgh's. The problem is that, like you said, he would need to put on about 10 lbs, and that would be difficult. He could still be a solid sideline-to-sideline MLB like Ryans, but that would take away his greatest asset, his blitzing instincts.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
                            yea i agree much like demeco ryans and a LB thats all over the place like him could really make an impact at the next level

Comment

Whilst 3-4 ILB may not be his ideal spot, I think he could probably play it quite well depending on the style of 3-4 a team uses.

He isn't the traditional Thumper for ILB. But I think could be used very much in a similar style that the Chargers used Donnie Edwards.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information