Kenny Phillips Question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenny Phillips Question...

Not real big on the prospect evaluation front, so I figured I'd look for some guru input...As a Cowboys fan, after the game tonight, this is definately a guy we've gotta be keeping our eyes on closely...But anyways...

How does this kid stack up against guys like Sean Taylor, Ed Reed, Michael Huff, Laron Landry, Reggie Nelson, Donte Whitner and other safeties who have been highly-touted in the last handful of years?

i'd rank them like this from a prospect stand point

Sean Taylor
    Kenny Phillips
    Laron Landry
    Micheal Huff
    Ed Reed
    Donte Whitner
    Reggie Nelson

Taylor was just a freak at Miami, Phillips maybe not hit as hard or be as athletic, but he is a playmaker who is great in coverage and agianst the run, always makes a big play when it's needed

Comment

Him and Taylor are 1A and 1B in my book. Taylor's more impressive physically but Phillips makes up for it with his awareness.

"A real man makes his own luck." Billy Zane, Titanic

Originally posted by Emmitt Smith
      Donít quit, donít even quit.

Comment

I agree with that Phillips is better overall safety, but Taylor was just a freak

kinda Charles Rogers vs Andre Johnson situation(as prospects not now)

Comment

He's an innate playmaker like Ed Reed, plus he's very physical. I thought he had a "bad game" against Oklahoma because I didn't notice him much. He still had about 13 tackles according to DG, which says a lot about the kind of impact he usually brings.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Phillips was impressive in run support against Oklahoma. He had 13 tackles (8 solo), 1 tackle for loss (1 solo), and a forced fumble.

Like fenikz, I would rank Phillips just between Sean Taylor and LaRon Landry.

Comment

The forced fumble he had was just a perfect tackle with his head on the ball

Leroy Smith - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGD6XnAsNs

Comment

Before I rank him as high as Taylor I need to see more plays against the pass. He's good in man coverage, and he didn't get beat against OU (only time I remember them even throwing to his side he was responsible for someone in the backfield) but he hasn't shown the range or ball skills Taylor or Reed showed at Miami.

That is correct comahan
                I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                <3 dg

Comment

Taylor had amazing production. In his senior year, he had 10 INT's. Physically Kenny Phillips is comparable to Taylor but his production isn't close.

Comment

He is whom I am hoping the fins to take next year (along with oline in every dang round). Kid is amazing specially attacking the run. But he has good awareness in coverage too. He is not the athletic freak of Sean Taylor but he is close to it.

Comment

...Am I the only person who thinks he's incredibly over-rated?

He might be a great athlete...but not the best football player at that position.

Comment

What makes you say that? He's not really an amazing, epic type athlete. Good size (6-2, 210), good speed (4.5 40), but his athleticism isn't something that would get him ranked this high without the on field production.

That is correct comahan
                        I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                        <3 dg

Comment

Originally posted by Travis 24 View Post
                          ...Am I the only person who thinks he's incredibly over-rated?

He might be a great athlete...but not the best football player at that position.
                          yes you are the only person alive who thinks that

Comment

Originally posted by fenikz View Post
                            i'd rank them like this from a prospect stand point

Sean Taylor
                            Kenny Phillips
                            Laron Landry
                            Micheal Huff
                            Ed Reed
                            Donte Whitner
                            Reggie Nelson

Taylor was just a freak at Miami, Phillips maybe not hit as hard or be as athletic, but he is a playmaker who is great in coverage and agianst the run, always makes a big play when it's needed
                            your dead on with the rankings from a prospect standpoint and their evaluation comin out of college

Comment

Originally posted by draftguru151 View Post
                              What makes you say that? He's not really an amazing, epic type athlete. Good size (6-2, 210), good speed (4.5 40), but his athleticism isn't something that would get him ranked this high without the on field production.
                              but he's no Courtney Greene!! :D

kidding, kidding. (or am I?)

ok i am...?
                              We ALL bleed scarlet
                              New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                              UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                              Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                              BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information