Chris Long question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Long question

Chris Long is very highly rated right now, but I think by the time the draft comes around, he will be over shadowed by guys like Quentin Groves, Calais Campbell, Vernon, Gholston and Derrick Harvey.

Long just doesn't have the high sack numbers that nfl teams want

how does Chris Long compare as a 3-4 DE? With his size and work ethic, he seems like a good option

Originally posted by Big_Pete View Post
    Chris Long is very highly rated right now, but I think by the time the draft comes around, he will be over shadowed by guys like Quentin Groves, Calais Campbell, Vernon, Gholston and Derrick Harvey.

how does Chris Long compare as a 3-4 DE? With his size and work ethic, he seems like a good option
    You realize he doesn't have huge sack numbers because he's already playing 3-4 DE right?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
      You realize he doesn't have huge sack numbers because he's already playing 3-4 DE right?
      yeah, i think he's this years carriker

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

comparing him to those other DEs is like comparing apples to oranges.... totally different types of players. All of the guys you mentioned with maybe the exception being Campbell will be playing Rightend/OLB. Long is going to be a unreal strongisde DE and/or 3-4 DE. With some of the skills he has already shown on tape all he really needs is a strong senior year together is a solid combine to solidify himself as the top SDE.

Comment

Long is the best run stopping DE in the draft, and has a pass rusher he overpowers defenders, has great technique, and an endless motor, also he finishes every single play. Even if 8 of his teammates are bringing a guy down he will run across the field and launch his body into the pile to get a last hit in.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
          http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
          Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
          http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

He may play in the 3-4 DE now, but can he do it in the NFL? That's what I wanna know. He seems extremely light for the position in NFL standards. What's his true weight? It's all over the place where ever you look

Comment

He's listed as 280 (I think I've only seen one other number, can't remember where though) and with the way he plays that's definitely enough to be a 3-4 DE. He can play in a 4-3 though, he has the quickness to rush the passer from the edge.

That is correct comahan
              I ******* LOVE YOU DG
              <3 dg

Comment

Originally posted by draftguru151 View Post
                He's listed as 280 (I think I've only seen one other number, can't remember where though) and with the way he plays that's definitely enough to be a 3-4 DE. He can play in a 4-3 though, he has the quickness to rush the passer from the edge.
                Brett Keisel: 285
                Trevor Pryce: 286

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Ghettosermon View Post
                  Long is the best run stopping DE in the draft, and has a pass rusher he overpowers defenders, has great technique, and an endless motor, also he finishes every single play. Even if 8 of his teammates are bringing a guy down he will run across the field and launch his body into the pile to get a last hit in.
                  God, do I hope the Redskins draft him next April. He would be a perfect bookend to Carter.
                  Sean Taylor - You'll always be missed but never forgotten

Comment

He is gonna look awful at the combine and the Browns will swoop in and take him at the top of round 2. :) Soon thereafter he will be considered a top 3, 3-4 DE!!!

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

We don't give a DAMN for the whole state of Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Pete View Post

Huge UVA fan ... as older posters now, but to a certain extent, I agree that Chris Long is a bit overrated right now. I'd have him loosely pegged as a first rounder, but probably in that third tier ... but that's assuming the underclassmen come out.

I don't love the 3-4 DE fit for the pros ... but he could definitely do it. A bit more weight (it fluctuates in the 260's and maybe low 270's last I checked) and the ability to hold that weight might change my mind. I see him best fit as a 4-3 strongside end.

Comment

he has some of the best hands and instincts i've seen, even without a stellar combine he will probally still be overdrafted because of his pedigree.

Comment

Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
                          Huge UVA fan ... as older posters now, but to a certain extent, I agree that Chris Long is a bit overrated right now. I'd have him loosely pegged as a first rounder, but probably in that third tier ... but that's assuming the underclassmen come out.

I don't love the 3-4 DE fit for the pros ... but he could definitely do it. A bit more weight (it fluctuates in the 260's and maybe low 270's last I checked) and the ability to hold that weight might change my mind. I see him best fit as a 4-3 strongside end.
                          interesting toon. Didn't know his playing weight was that low.

Comment

if that is true, and he does play around 270ish is there any possibility of him converting to a 3-4 olb? or is he not athletic and fast enough to play olb? Becuase, 6'4 270ish reminds me of an adalius thomas type build, however i have never seen him play so i have no idea what he is best suited for. I ask, becuase besides OG i beleive the jets desperately need someone to put constant pressure on the QB ala shawne merriman.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

As for sack numbers he had 7 in his first three years (really 2 years since he had mono as a freshman and dropped his weight to 240-250). He really overruns a lot of plays. He seems so reckless and uncontrolled when he busts through offensive lines. It makes him disruptive and he gets a lot of quarterback hurries but he does need to finish his plays.

So far this season he already has 5 sacks in 3 games though. I only watched the Wyoming game on TV and listened to the others on the radio but he still plays with that reckless abandon, but seems more controlled going at the QB.

... and like everyone else, he is a 3-4 DE... getting sacks isn't his primary focus.

Wyoming 7 tkl, 2 TFL, 2 sacks, 6 hurries
                              Duke 8 tkl, 2.5TFL, 2 sacks, 1 BrUp, 0 hurries
                              UNC 4 tkl, 1TFL, 1 sack, 1 INT, 0 hurries
                              The A-Man
                              -- Die Hard Virginia Fan --

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information