Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jake Long is the best run blocking OT since....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jake Long is the best run blocking OT since....

    I know some of you really question him in pass protection but he is an absolutely domianating run blocker. I would have to go since Robert Gallery.

  • #2
    I was about to make a snide "well, look how Robert Gallery is doing in the NFL" comment, but in truth, I can not for the life of me figure out how he became such a bust. I remember on one of the networks (forgot which one) they were comparing game film of him in college and then in the pros and they discussed how he regressed since college.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Crickett View Post
      I was about to make a snide "well, look how Robert Gallery is doing in the NFL" comment, but in truth, I can not for the life of me figure out how he became such a bust. I remember on one of the networks (forgot which one) they were comparing game film of him in college and then in the pros and they discussed how he regressed since college.
      Going to the Raiders and having a million coaching and position changes might have had something to do with it.

      Personally, I think Long's pass protection issues are over-rated. The comparison with Baker, the foremost pass protector in this draft, is illustrative. Fine, Long might not be as good as Baker, but as I see it that means that his QB is going to feel one or two more instances of pressure than he might with Baker there. But that is out-weighed, in my mind, by the fact that the run game would be so dominant with Long there that the D-line would already be on its heels, there'd be fewer 3rd and long situations, and the RE would hardly be feeling fresh in the 2nd half after having Long run at him all game.

      A dominant run game is the best pass protection you can get... and besides, Long may not be elite in pass protection, but he's no slouch.
      TD 2011 catch-phrase: "explosive"

      Comment


      • #4
        as a prospect Gallery is one hell of a name to live up to. As a pro, not so much.

        Sig by Fenikz

        I remember NFLDC
        don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

        Comment


        • #5
          As a Michigan fan, I feel that Long could be one of the best RTs the game has seen in a while. I'm not sure he has that quick first step to handle the NFLs elite pass rushers on the left side. He could probably be above average at LT, but not elite.
          My teams:
          St. Louis Rams
          Michigan Wolverines
          Southern Miss Golden Eagles

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by aheineken View Post
            As a Michigan fan, I feel that Long could be one of the best RTs the game has seen in a while. I'm not sure he has that quick first step to handle the NFLs elite pass rushers on the left side. He could probably be above average at LT, but not elite.
            I have a feeling that if he played LT he might end up looking like Bryant McKinnie did against Tamba Hali today. That leads me to my next point...he's the best run blocking OT since McKinnie/Gallery (depends how you look at them).

            sig by BoneKrusher

            Comment


            • #7
              He looks like Robert Gallery back in his college days

              Comment


              • #8
                Jake Long is a hell of a blocking OT but I feel his pass blocking skills are below that of an elite LT prospect. Long will be a top 10 pick but he's probably a RT

                Comment


                • #9
                  He reminds me ALOT of Leonard Davis, which can be good and bad. Lots of potential just needs to work hard.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    He could end up in the same spot as Jeff Backus...average to above-average LT, but on a team with a solid LT he could be a dominant RT.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      He reminds me of Leon Searcy.

                      Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Apriori View Post
                        He could end up in the same spot as Jeff Backus...average to above-average LT, but on a team with a solid LT he could be a dominant RT.
                        Jeff Backus is a LT.

                        sig by BoneKrusher

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by CARDIAC CAT 7 View Post
                          He reminds me ALOT of Leonard Davis, which can be good and bad. Lots of potential just needs to work hard.
                          I don't want to base everything of the few games I've seen him in but he does look like a team leader. I was impressed by him in the Oregon game when he took one of his angry teammates aside and got in his face.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by etk View Post
                            Jeff Backus is a LT.
                            I'm a Lions fan, I'm quite aware.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It's difficult to predict OL but I don't see Long as a great LT. He may play 15 years as a RT and make the pro bowl at that position but he will just be an adaquate LT if he forced to play there his whole career.
                              And proud of it!!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information