Why no love for Chris Long?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why no love for Chris Long?

I haven't seen Virginia play live this year, but from the clips I've seen, his stat line (31 tackles so far, from a 3-4 DE!) and his reputation as a ball-busting hypermotored madman, as well as a couple of scouting services that rank him right at the top of the draft (even ahead of Dorsey), it seems like he should be generating more buzz as a top draft pick than he currently is.

So what is the general consensus? Is he seen as a low-ceiling type because of the lack of elite measurables? That's the only limitation I could think of.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being the best player out of this draft. He has the personality and character type that usually leads to success.

So why isn't there more love for him?

Maybe Scott can weigh in here and explain.
    Originally posted by 21ST
    He was protecting his self
    Originally posted by tjsunstein
    From what? His leg?
    Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
    That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
    "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

I love him, but seriously I know some Raider fans that don't like him because he plays in a 3-4 and they don't know how well he will do in a 4-3. Probably a lot of people that feel that way
    Last edited by NIN1984; 10-04-2007, 03:59 PM.
    Taking a Knapp.

Comment

I don't see any lack of love for Long. Last I checked he was Scott's top senior defensive end, and every thread about him on these forums that I've seen has been overwhelmingly positive.

I think that right now people are waiting to see what his actual weight is, because that's going to decide a lot about where to peg him. If he comes in 280 or higher, some 3-4 that picks high is going to fall in love with him. If he comes in lower than that (I've heard some murmurs of him being in the 260 range), he might very well be better suited playing outside in a 4-3.

I really like Long, but I'm not sure he's as versatile as some are making him out to be.

Comment

I really don't like when people say, Why no love, when in fact the guy gets a ton of love.

Comment

Why no love for Andre Woodson? lol, anyways I'm sure most people haven't actually seen him play full games, as I have seen basically every game he has played in his career. Yes his motor is insane one of the best I have ever seen. Character is flawless team leader great speaker with the media. His biggest attribute is his technique. People who see him just every now and then think he's reckless with no structure but that's just him when he's going after the QB. His work with his hands are insane and he has every pass rush move you can think of. He can bull over or go around, speed rush will likely not be his specialty in the NFL but he is capable. His instincts are great, he knows when to put his hands up and has probably knocked down 10+ balls this year one leading to anothers INT and an INT of his own. Actually amazing though how he has a pick and UVA's other DE Fitzgerald has 3, and that's just from putting their hands up when they don't have a shot at the QB. He has blocked a couple field goals in his career. As others said the only question on him is weight and not blowing people away with his workouts. But he is for sure wayy more athletic than Carriker, and with his intangibles he will blow away teams in interviews. Doesn't hurt that he's Howie's son.
          Last edited by SeanTaylorRIP; 10-04-2007, 04:33 PM.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
          http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
          Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
          http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

Originally posted by Ghettosermon View Post
            Why no love for Andre Woodson?

are you serious? everyone is slobbing on him

Comment

Originally posted by NIN1984 View Post
              I love him, but seriously I know some Raider fans that don't like him because he plays in a 3-4 and they don't know how well he will do in a 4-3. Probably a lot of people that feel that way
              I still think Chris Long is a better fit as a 4-3 end than a 3-4 end at the next level. His playing weight is supposedly in that 260-270 range. As good as a player is ... that's awful risky, 1 gap or not, to put a guy with that weight in any 3-4 front. Even if he puts on more weight for the weigh in, I still think he's better as a 4-3 end as I have high doubts if he can maintain that weight over the course of the year. I think people easily forget that, coming into school, there was doubt as to whether or not he had the frame to hold 250 pounds, let alone higher. The fact that he has makes me think he's nearly maxed out.

As for love, I think Chris Long gets a lot of love, heck perhaps even too much. I love him, as a UVA fan, but I think the talk of him being a top 10 pick in some areas is high. Ridiculously high? Probably not, especially considering this draft. But I think it's high. I think he's a mid-late first pick depending on how the draft fills out.

Comment

Bengals could draft him since we are trying to change our reputation.

Sig by yours truly.

Comment

No love? He gets plenty of respect on these boards, he may not have a thread dedicated to him everyday like Gholston but he gets props.

Comment

Originally posted by Pittbc7 View Post
                    are you serious? everyone is slobbing on him
                    Usually when people write "lol" after a statement like that they are being sarcastic.

stephenson86

Comment

he has the production so theres no reason he shouldnt be a first round pick..hes gotta increase that sack total tho

Comment

Originally posted by Aftermath View Post
                        Bengals could draft him since we are trying to change our reputation.
                        It's funny cause he reminds me of Pollack, a hard working overachiever type with a good attitude

The way it is

GamerTag : GrubbyPaws (Halo 3, NCAA 09, Madden 09)

Comment

ive wanted to see this kid play for a while now. he's playing here at mtsu this weekend too but i cant make it because im going to the UT vs. Georgia game. its a darn shame.

Comment

Earl Bennett, now he gets no love

Comment

Originally posted by 619 View Post
                              he has the production so theres no reason he shouldnt be a first round pick..hes gotta increase that sack total tho
                              I don't think he has to increase the sack total. I think a lot of folks understand that the defense isn't necessarily designed for him to put up huge sack numbers even though they've adapted it to Long and Fitzgerald's abilities. 6 sacks in his role over the first 5 games, along with 6.5 TFL's, is a very good number, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information