Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Jake Long be the 2nd OT taken?????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Jake Long be the 2nd OT taken?????

There are very heavy rumors flying out of Norman that junior LT Phil Loadholt is considering declaring for the NFL Draft after only one season at Oklahoma. The two time JUCO All-American(and likely All American this year) is a monster at 6'7" 350 and has much better athleticism than Long. Scouts have already claimed Loadholt carries a first round grade and with strong workouts I feel he may become a top 5 pick. In my opinion he's a better pass blocker than Long and only slightly weaker in run blocking. The fact that he completely neutralized Calais Campbell earlier this year is huge.

What do you all think? Do you think Loadholt can skyrocket up the draft boards and get drafted ahead of Long based on potential rather than proven ability?

Long would have to do a lot to not be the first OL taken between his performance, size, and strength. Loadholt is an absloute mammoth and a freak for his size who has been dominant, but Long has been dominating for a lot longer than Loadholt. But crazier things have happened when the combine rolls around.

Comment

Short answer, I think there's a decent chance that Long isn't the first OT off the board. He seems a very trendy pick right now, but I don't think Long is in the same class as a Ferguson or THomas of recent vintage. Not that he isn't more polished, but just that his pass protection skills are what they are, and they don't seem to be that of an elite LT. That said, I do think he could work as a LT in some schemes.

Admittedly, I haven't seen much of Loadholt this year. I'm excited and wary. When you have that size/athleticism combination, it is always quite tempting. But I really haven't seen enough to make a fair judgement so I won't. That said, talent wise, I think I like Clady and Oher better than Jake Long as well, but the former has been inconsistent this year, and last I checked the rumors, it seemed that the latter was supposedly leaning towards staying.

As of now, I've got Jake Long as a 6-10 big board. He could stay in that range, but it wouldn't surprise me if he slid down to the 10-15 range if other guys emerge down the stretch. I try to mock on projection, but that said, as of now, it's hard to see someone emerging to nab that top spot, but the season's only half done, so a lot can happen down the stretch, and during the combine season.

Comment

I don't think that it will even take Loadholt to open up the possibility of Long not being the first offensive lineman taken. I'm not sure how many teams are going to be so sure that Long is a future LT that they're going to be willing to invest that top 5 cash in him.

A strong finish of the season by Clady and possibly Oher would open the possibility wide open.

Comment

Yeah, I don't think it's much of a stretch to think Jake Long won't be the first OT taken.. My guess would be Oher.. and if Loadholt came out, he could sneak ahead of Long too.. he's just a monster.
          Last edited by WMD; 10-10-2007, 04:18 AM.

Comment

right now the only big knock I can see on Loadholt is that he isn't as polished and would have only 1 year vs. top competition.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Comment

The draft is so far away anything can happen.Its very possible he wont be the 1st OT taken.
              "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
                Short answer, I think there's a decent chance that Long isn't the first OT off the board. He seems a very trendy pick right now, but I don't think Long is in the same class as a Ferguson or THomas of recent vintage. Not that he isn't more polished, but just that his pass protection skills are what they are, and they don't seem to be that of an elite LT. That said, I do think he could work as a LT in some schemes.

Admittedly, I haven't seen much of Loadholt this year. I'm excited and wary. When you have that size/athleticism combination, it is always quite tempting. But I really haven't seen enough to make a fair judgement so I won't. That said, talent wise, I think I like Clady and Oher better than Jake Long as well, but the former has been inconsistent this year, and last I checked the rumors, it seemed that the latter was supposedly leaning towards staying.

As of now, I've got Jake Long as a 6-10 big board. He could stay in that range, but it wouldn't surprise me if he slid down to the 10-15 range if other guys emerge down the stretch. I try to mock on projection, but that said, as of now, it's hard to see someone emerging to nab that top spot, but the season's only half done, so a lot can happen down the stretch, and during the combine season.
                I love Loadholt's athleticism, but then again, everyone thought Leonard Davis would be the end-all be all at LT when he came out of Texas that big.

Took until he moved to LG to be very effective.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

I still think Sam Baker is better than Long. Baker might not have the same measurements, but I bet you that if they both choose to go to the Senior Bowl, Baker will outshine Long.

Originally posted by Halsey
                  I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

Long is still the top tackle in my eyes, we'll see who comes out and what becomes of it.
                    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Anybody who thinks the current ranking mean anything just hasn't watched the draft long enough. Even pro scouts don't have much written in stone until the combine or personnel workouts. Long could be drafted anywhere after pro teams work him out to gage his abilities. He could drop, he could remain where he is or he could move up but none of that will be settled by watching him play against inferior college players. He'll have to show in the post season just how good he is.
                      As for Phil Loadholt, he hasn't played enough to get serious top 10 consideration. Is he too fat, can he handle small speedy pass rushers at 360lbs, does he have real quick feet. He's played against 1 decent pro prospect who may not go as high as people were projecting. People are just in love with Loadholt because of his size but size alone won't make you a pro.
                      We'll need to see a lot more of him before we can determine how good he can be.
                      And proud of it!!!

Comment

If we had Long, Loadholt, Clady, Baker, Oher, and Cherilus in the same draft then someone would get a heck of a value in a franchise left tackle in late round 1 or early round 2.

Long should definitely be the first tackle taken. Heck, I got him going #1 overall to Miami in my last mock.

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                          If we had Long, Loadholt, Clady, Baker, Oher, and Cherilus in the same draft then someone would get a heck of a value in a franchise left tackle in late round 1 or early round 2.

Long should definitely be the first tackle taken. Heck, I got him going #1 overall to Miami in my last mock.
                          I think that Chris Williams, will end up being the valued OT in the 2nd.

Originally posted by Halsey
                          I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
                            I love Loadholt's athleticism, but then again, everyone thought Leonard Davis would be the end-all be all at LT when he came out of Texas that big.

Took until he moved to LG to be very effective.
                            I was thinking of, at least at similar points, of another big boy in Mike Williams.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtlepower View Post
                              I still think Sam Baker is better than Long. Baker might not have the same measurements, but I bet you that if they both choose to go to the Senior Bowl, Baker will outshine Long.
                              Agreed Baker is a much better Pass Blocker than Long , everyone is looking for that great weakside pass blocker not the big clear a path run blocker. Just ask Palmer and Leinart why they love USC, they got all day to throw to all those weapons.(not saying hes the only good blocker from USC but hes defintly the best in the past decade for USC).

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information