Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chances that McFadden slips a bit on draft day?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chances that McFadden slips a bit on draft day?

I'm sure by now most here have checked out Scott's new mock. He has McFadden going to the 'Boys at #6, which at first blush would be waaaaay lower than he should go, considering he is almost universally regarded as the best prospect available should he choose to enter the draft.

However, looking at who is picking ahead of the #6 spot, that is to say, Miami, St. Louis, Buffalo, Atlanta and New Orleans, it isn't really that far-fetched to consider. Really, those 5 teams are all in the running for the #1 pick right now, as they comprise the 3 teams without a win to date (STL, MIA, NO) as well as two other teams that are in turmoil and have looked hopelessly bad at points during the season. I would say that is pretty close to being the 5 worst teams in the league.

If that happens, you have a situation brewing in which McFadden could slide more than he should. Not only do most of those teams have a solid, established RB manning their backfield, they have some of the very best young RBs in the entire league. Steven Jackson. Reggie Bush. Ronnie Brown. Marshawn Lynch. Those 4 players represent one of the top two prospects at the position in the 2004, 2005, 2006, AND 2007 draft classes, including the top RB drafted in 3 of those drafts and two #2 overall picks. My guess is that teams that are that heavily invested in the position will not be eager to spend their shot at a superstar on a position in which they (should) already have one.

(note: you could also throw Minny into this conversation and have each of the top prospects from the last 4 drafts in play)

So, is D-Mac in store for a disappointing slide on draft-day? Is the table potentially set for a RB-needy--or just BPA needy--team to trade up and scoop him up?

While I, as a Cowboy fan, would love for Cleveland to deliver a top 6 pick to us, I don't expect anything higher than the #10 right now. I love D-Mac and want him unbelievably bad this year. I expect that we will have to trade up if we hope to acquire him. This may be our only glimmer of hope.

Will he be simply too good to pass on? Will some team load their backfield because they don't want to pass up on a HOFer?
    Originally posted by 21ST
    He was protecting his self
    Originally posted by tjsunstein
    From what? His leg?
    Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
    That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
    "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

I dont think hes going to fall very far. If those teams are picking first I could see Atlanta or New Orleans taking him (if Deuce is gone)

Comment

Originally posted by yo123 View Post
      I dont think hes going to fall very far. If those teams are picking first I could see Atlanta or New Orleans taking him (if Deuce is gone)
      I don't see any way NO takes him....with so much invested in Bush and so many holes on D to even think twice about another offensive player.

Comment

New Orleans will not take Mcfadden lol, no chance in hell.

Glen Dorsey is the best prospect IMO, and by a pretty wide margin.

then again, I'm not nearly as high on Mcfadden as some.
        Originally posted by SNIPER26
        fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Originally posted by yo123 View Post
          If those teams are picking first I could see Atlanta or New Orleans taking him (if Deuce is gone)
          I don't see any way Atlanta passes on Brian Brohm, assuming he's available when they pick. You know Joey ain't the answer, and I think it's safe to assume Leftwich isn't long-term, either.

New Orleans taking McFadden = McFadden + Bush = Insanity for D-coordinators throughout the L. But, I don't see New Orleans wasting another first rounder on offense. They almost HAVE to address defense, regardless of where the pick falls.

While I don't see any of those 5 teams taking him, I don't know if I buy him falling to 6, but for Mock purposes it makes sense. If the draft broke down this way, one of those 5 teams would undoubtedly be looking to trade down and acquire extra picks, and I think it's safe to assume there'd be plenty of teams looking to move up with their eyes on McFadden...

Comment

well you never know, detroit did keep taking wr's, sean payton may want to keep taking offense, and it might not be that crazy if they take DMac in the 1st and defense the rest of the way, so at the end of both days he could be their only offensive pick, if they have him graded really high, and he ends up where they are, they could very well take him and I wouldnt be that surprised, it would be hell for D coordinators, although I personally think that would be too expensive, and they wouldnt be able to keep both guys, they would probably be their highest paid players on the team at the time he signed a contract, and there is no way you would be able to resign them both when their price jacks up, so no point in taking a guy you dont intend on trying to keep for the long haul, and their not parting ways with reggie

Originally posted by Scott Wright
            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Well first let me say that I think the draft order is probably going to change a lot from what most people have their mock draft orders set to. There's 11 more weeks of pro ball to go.

However, I think that McFadden might slide simply because there's always a good chance with runningbacks. If he finishes the year strong (Heisman?) and has an especially impressive showing in the pre-draft process, then there's always the chance that even a team with a solid running game will decide to take him anyway.

However, I do think that the apparent weakness at the top of this coming draft may cause a market where teams are eager to trade down. If McFadden slips at all, it wouldn't surprise me to see a team or two attempt to move up to swipe him.

Comment

I hate to burst your bubble DMW, but odds are DMAC doesn't land in Dallas.

Some team will surely trade up for him. GB, TAM, ATL, DET, HOU and on and on.

I don't see why NOR would draft him either. They could address defense in FA or later in the draft. McFadden would easily be BPA on the board at their pick and they've already invested the last 2 first rounders on offense. In order to continue to build upon what they have started, you simply can't count out them taking DMAC... esp if Dorsey is already off the board.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                  I hate to burst your bubble DMW, but odds are DMAC doesn't land in Dallas.

Some team will surely trade up for him. GB, TAM, ATL, DET, HOU and on and on.

I don't see why NOR would draft him either. They could address defense in FA or later in the draft. McFadden would easily be BPA on the board at their pick and they've already invested the last 2 first rounders on offense. In order to continue to build upon what they have started, you simply can't count out them taking DMAC... esp if Dorsey is already off the board.
                  bush and dmac...i love it!!!

Comment

I think his chances of going in the 7-12 range are very high. I really do like him as a prospect, but at this point i think he is far from a lock for a top 5 or 6 pick.

People have bought into the hype a little too much and as a result his stock is a slightly higher than it should be. He has a lot of the same concerns that Adrian Peterson did (tall, upright runner...not as many serious injuries though) and isn't even on Peterson's level. You can say what ever you like, but DMac just is not as good as Peterson. Peterson was the best RB prospect since Bo hands down, and what you gain with DMacs versatility, you loose in pure running ability. Plus, we are all seening AD becoming a complete RB. The thing Darren has going for him is that the top of this draft isn't as strong as last years which should push him up a bit.

Point is, if Dmac was in last years draft, he would have barely been a top 10 pick.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

We don't give a DAMN for the whole state of Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy G View Post
                      Point is, if Dmac was in last years draft, he would have barely been a top 10 pick.
                      Are you serious?

Comment

Funny enuff that DMAC

a) Averages more yards per carry than Peterson in College (6 vs 5.3)
                        b) Less injuries
                        c) I predict much faster

With that, I hope he falls right to the Cowboys.

DMac, J King and M Kelley -- Dallas Cowboys ROund 1-2

Comment

Very little IMO. He's an elite player in a draft where there are few elite players. I'd be very suprised if he doesn't go top 5. Some of you take need too much into account.

I've had him going to New Orleans at #4 in my recent mocks for a few reasons.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                            I've had him going to New Orleans at #4 in my recent mocks for a few reasons.
                            Just doesn't make sense all around. If we do select an offensive player, it should be Long or Baker.
                            The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                              Just doesn't make sense all around. If we do select an offensive player, it should be Long or Baker.
                              I've heard from numerous Saints fans that it's very possible that Deuce is done with the Saints, both for monetary and injury concerns.

IF that is the case, Reggie Bush is not a everydown back. He's just not, and he never will be. That doesn't mean it was a wasted pick, as he can be utilized in many different ways, but without an everydown back the Saints offense won't run and that will be shown this year.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information