Changes to Draft in 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes to Draft in 2008

Couldn't find this posted...and the only site i found it on was profootballtalk.com. But, it would appear that 2 major changes are coming to the NFL Draft in 2008.

1-first round time limit reduced to 10 minutes.

2-first round moved to Friday night.

my thoughts...
    I guess i'm ok with both. 15 minutes seemed a little long....and i always liked my routine of waking up on saturday to watch the draft...but, i think i can adapt to wasting a friday night glued to the TV.

Love the first change, but not a big fan of the 2nd... It's probably going to make it alot harder for so many people to make it up there to watch the draft, though I'm sure anyone who was going anyways probably can afford to take a Friday off all together

Mad props to Houshyamomma on FF.com

Comment

I believe some of the time limits of the mid rounds will be changed as well.

Comment

Friday night... Thats pretty weird. Well atleast who ever gets drafted will be scrolling down the bottom of the screen because bars are usually loud on Friday nights.
        Originally posted by nvot9
        I'm going to personally PM you when the Mets win the NL East and the Phillies don't even make the playoffs.

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
        Indianapolis Colts 13-3
        Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
        Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
        Coach Bob Huggins 10-2

Comment

I'd love it, but I'm being selfish as I only want it because it would mean it starts at mid day Saturday for us Aussies, instead of like 3am Sunday.

Comment

I like it how it is. I enjoy spending all weekend on the couch watching the draft. I don't really want any part of it to be moved to Friday.
            My teams:
            St. Louis Rams
            Michigan Wolverines
            Southern Miss Golden Eagles

Comment

I like the shortening of the first round.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

I like the idea of shortenning the time limit for 1st round picks, but I don't understand the point of moving Day 1 to Friday night.

Comment

I don't know if I like Shortening the picks. Less time to plan trades or get them going if your player gets taken right before you.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by MaxV View Post
                    I like the idea of shortenning the time limit for 1st round picks, but I don't understand the point of moving Day 1 to Friday night.
                    apparently the point of it is; the draft has become a good ratings event, and advertising costs more on friday night that saturday during the day...so, it's all about money.

Comment

I like shortening the time down to 10 minutes. Iíve never really understood why you need 15 minutes to make a pick to begin with. Teams have been studying these prospects for years leading into the draft. They know everything from any injuries they had in pee-wee football to what their favorite breakfast cereal is. I know you need SOME time to wheel and deal for trades. But I donít think you need 15 minutes to make a trade. 10 minutes is plenty IMO.

Not sure I like the idea of moving the draft to primetime on Friday. Friday evening is Miller Time. Hard to concentrate on the draft when Iím knocking back a bunch of cold ones after a long week of work.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by KaneMarko View Post
                        Not sure I like the idea of moving the draft to primetime on Friday. Friday evening is Miller Time. Hard to concentrate on the draft when Iím knocking back a bunch of cold ones after a long week of work.
                        I dunno about you, buts that exactly what I do when the draft is on Saturday afternoon anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                          I dunno about you, buts that exactly what I do when the draft is on Saturday afternoon anyway.
                          I do to but im usually home on Saturday afternoon. Friday night is a different story. Oh well its only one weekend.
                          Originally posted by nvot9
                          I'm going to personally PM you when the Mets win the NL East and the Phillies don't even make the playoffs.

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
                          Indianapolis Colts 13-3
                          Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
                          Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
                          Coach Bob Huggins 10-2

Comment

Yes! both needed to be done for 2 reasons: 1-no one likes sitting for 2 1/2 hours just to watch the top 10 picks and 2-it's better to watch at night than it is to watch all day long

Bad thing about it: you have to wait until Saturday to see who you get after the first.

Comment

Excellent move shortening the first round time limit to 10 minutes, the 15-minute limit was too long 98% of the time.

Although the idea of moving all of the first round to primetime Friday, I'm not sure about. The first round is a four or five hours long, even with the shortened limit. Maybe the first 16 picks, or at least an early start?
                              Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information