Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Long or Calais Cambpell?

who is the better DE?

Calais Campbell, he just has too much upside to ignore. He has a bigger frame, longer arms and more athleticism. He has shown that he can be a disruptive force. For a guy his size he gets low in his stance and is pretty explosive. Those long arms are going to be a huge asset for him when he learns how to use his hands better in the pros.

I keep hearing that Long is versatile enough to play a 43 or 34 de. But in the pros a great 43 de is always going to be a better value.

Comment

Long is superior in technique, strength, motor, character, football smarts, motivation, work ethic, Campbell has a better facility and more potential to put up better numbers than Long, but Long will make a difference even if it isn't entirely noticeable in sacks. He can be a 7-9 sack guy every season and people won't recognize him as a top pro DE but his impact in the run support, and tipping balls and causing pressure don't always show up on the stats sheet, that and Long is a motivator and amazing teammate. In Long it is a sure pick you know he's good with potential to be great. Campbell has potential to be a bigger monster but more prone to be a bust.
      Last edited by SeanTaylorRIP; 10-22-2007, 05:22 PM.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
      http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
      Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
      http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

Campbell just screams BUST. I say Long.

Comment

I'll take Chris Long at this point. I've always felt Campbell was overrated and, although he's having a nice season, Chris Long is dominating.

Comment

i gotta go with the talent here in campbell but i know coaches love guys with big motors like long

Comment

Trust me as an ACC fan I love Calais and I would have no problem and would understand any team taking Calais first because of his unreal facility and his potential to be great but I can't see why a team wouldn't want Long. His athleticism is underrated and his no slum athletically, pair with that the best technically sound DE I have seen in some time to go along with also the best motor I have seen in a long time and I just don't think you can go wrong, that and he is a top class student/teammate/character who's work ethic is unreal. And everyone talks about how Campbell's arms are so long(no pun intended), but who cares if his arms are Longer than Long's because Chris Long leads the nation for D-lineman in tipped passes at the LOS so his arms are fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghettosermon View Post
                Long is superior in technique, strength, motor, character, football smarts, motivation, work ethic, Campbell has a better facility and more potential to put up better numbers than Long, but Long will make a difference even if it isn't entirely noticeable in sacks. He can be a 7-9 sack guy every season and people won't recognize him as a top pro DE but his impact in the run support, and tipping balls and causing pressure don't always show up on the stats sheet, that and Long is a motivator and amazing teammate. In Long it is a sure pick you know he's good with potential to be great. Campbell has potential to be a bigger monster but more prone to be a bust.
                Good point, I had not taken into consideration any leadership value, but a players ability to get his team mates fired up is a big plus. I don't know that I can compare their work ethnic or motivation, because I don't know each prospect well enough and I can't say that I have seen enough of Long or have seen or heard of Campbell not giving it his all. From what I have seen, Campbell doesn't give up on plays.

I see long as more of a Justin Smith/Tamba Hali type kind of guy, whereas Campbells is more in the mold of Mario Williams. I guess it's a matter of draft philosophy, but if it's a first rounder I would always take the guy with the bigger upside to be a potential superstar. Campbell has the long arms that give him the better potential to be great at shedding blocks in run support, I wasn't really considering his arm length in terms of balls disrupting passing lanes.

Both have the athleticism to be good/great pass rushers, though sacks are really overrated. Both will get their fair share of pressures, but I think Calais will be better.
                Last edited by no love; 10-22-2007, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by no love View Post
                  Good point, I had not taken into consideration any leadership value, but a players ability to get his team mates fired up is a big plus. I don't know that I can compare their work ethnic or motivation, because I don't know each prospect well enough and I can't say that I have seen enough of Long or have seen or heard of Campbell not giving it his all. From what I have seen, Campbell doesn't give up on plays.

I see long as more of a Justin Smith/Tamba Hali type kind of guy, whereas Campbells is more in the mold of Mario Williams. I guess it's a matter of draft philosophy, but if it's a first rounder I would always take the guy with the bigger upside to be a potential superstar. Campbell has the long arms that give him the better potential to be great at shedding blocks in run support, I wasn't really considering his arm length in terms of balls disrupting passing lanes.

Both have the athleticism to be good/great pass rushers, though sacks are really overrated. Both will get their fair share of pressures, but I think Calais will be better.
                  Not Knocking Campbell's work ethic at all but watching games he does get tired at times, whereas Long it's almost freakish to see him go all out every single play, last game he chased down Maryland RB Lance Ball in the open field from 10 yards back to make the tackle. The guy is just a freakish athlete in terms of stamina, he gets involved in every play even if 5 of his teammates are gang tackling a back he will run from 10 yards away just to jump on the pile and finish off the play.

Comment

im just a bit suspicious and not ready to say longs a sure thing as ppl make him out to be

Comment

Originally posted by Ghettosermon View Post
                      Trust me as an ACC fan I love Calais and I would have no problem and would understand any team taking Calais first because of his unreal facility and his potential to be great but I can't see why a team wouldn't want Long. His athleticism is underrated and his no slum athletically, pair with that the best technically sound DE I have seen in some time to go along with also the best motor I have seen in a long time and I just don't think you can go wrong, that and he is a top class student/teammate/character who's work ethic is unreal. And everyone talks about how Campbell's arms are so long(no pun intended), but who cares if his arms are Longer than Long's because Chris Long leads the nation for D-lineman in tipped passes at the LOS so his arms are fine.
                      Long arms are useful in shedding blocks more so than tipping passes. I need to see how these guys perform in the off-season before I can put one ahead of the other but I definitely see Campbell as the more intriguing prospect. When you're that tall and rangy, you can do so many things that smaller players cannot. He could turn out to be a real monster.

That said, as others have mentioned, with Long you're getting a safer pick and a guy that is proven have great character which is essential in the pro game. I think it'll be a close call and it will ultimately be determined in the off-season.

Comment

care to explain why? he has 4.7ish speed which is near the best for d-ends his size (yes there are a couple freaks but overall), good overall athleticism and he's ferociously strong and competitive (that motor we're always hearing about). Not only that, but right now he's arguably the most productive linemen in the country playing at the 3-4 end spot (!). I don't really see anything not to like.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                          Campbell just screams BUST. I say Long.
                          Agree! Agree! Agree!

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Chris Long at this point easily. Campbell has been relatively mediocre and hasn't even been the best DE on the team so far this season. Campbell certainly has the potential but he hasn't been playing anywhere near people were expecting or any where as well as last season. Long however has been dominating in every aspect of the game this year. Campbell has been playing well enough and has the potential to still warrant a top 20 pick but for him to go above Long as this point wouldn't make sense.

That is correct comahan
                            I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                            <3 dg

Comment

I think long will be a bust personally

while I think Campbell will be the next big time DE in the NFL

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information