Doesn't make sense

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doesn't make sense

Scott says the most disruptive DL in college football right now is Chris Long, and he fits the 3-4 defense in the NFL...but when he talks about Miami potentially having the #1 overall pick he fails to mention how Long is a possibility there.

I don't get it. Jake Long and Glenn Dorsey are mentioned but not Chris Long, who is a better fit as a 3-4 DE than Dorsey imo and I'm sure most of you will agree. Dorsey just screams 4-3 UT to me in the Warren Sapp mold and I don't think he fits Miami's defense.

So all that said, how likely could it be that Chris Long is an option to Miami if they in fact get the #1 pick. Personally, I feel like Jake Long is looking more and more like the first player off the board.

Thoughts?

Glenn Dorsey is no slouch against the run either. He has the ability to play two gaps. He has great strength and plays with great leverage.

Plus he is a dominant inside pass rusher. Those are really hard to find. In your general nickel packages, which teams spend a lot of time in these days your OLB's will become DE's. This way, you keep your best front seven on the field at all times.

Besides, it is soo valuable to have a guy who can bring pressure up the gut, it changes the way the qb operates in the pocket. An outside passrush can be neutralized by some good footwork, but an inside pass rush will make it hard to operate as an offense.

Comment

Originally posted by BucSappy View Post
      Scott says the most disruptive DL in college football right now is Chris Long, and he fits the 3-4 defense in the NFL...but when he talks about Miami potentially having the #1 overall pick he fails to mention how Long is a possibility there.

I don't get it. Jake Long and Glenn Dorsey are mentioned but not Chris Long, who is a better fit as a 3-4 DE than Dorsey imo and I'm sure most of you will agree. Dorsey just screams 4-3 UT to me in the Warren Sapp mold and I don't think he fits Miami's defense.

So all that said, how likely could it be that Chris Long is an option to Miami if they in fact get the #1 pick. Personally, I feel like Jake Long is looking more and more like the first player off the board.

Thoughts?
      If in the end, pro scouts view any of the top 3 QB's as a top 5 prospect, he will be taken by Miami even with the #1 overall pick. All you have to look at the top teams in the NFL to see that they all are solid at QB.
      And proud of it!!!

Comment

I will GUARANTEE Miami will not take a QB with the 1st pick.

That is correct comahan
        I ******* LOVE YOU DG
        <3 dg

Comment

Originally posted by draftguru151 View Post
          That guarantee is worthless and based on what = nothing but your opinion. Look up the last 10 drafts where a QB was a top 5 prospect and you'll find that drafting a QB with the #1 overall pick is almost a given.

Russell
          Smith
          Eli Manning
          Palmer
          Couch
          Payton
          Vick

I could list all the other teams that used a 1st rounder in the last 10 years on a QB and most of them are playoff contenders but Miami is guaranteed not to draft one??? I don't think so.
          Last edited by Iamcanadian; 10-22-2007, 11:10 PM.
          And proud of it!!!

Comment

How many of those teams picked a QB in the second round the year before? It's not my opinion, it's Cam Cameron and Randy Mueller's opinion, and unless they are both fired there is NO chance we take a QB in the first.

That is correct comahan
            I ******* LOVE YOU DG
            <3 dg

Comment

Originally posted by BucSappy View Post

Thoughts?

You do not give player that big of a contract whos job is to occupy blockers and stop the run. So Chris Long is out of the question for top 5 IMO and has 0% chance of going #1.
              Originally posted by STARHEATHER
              the only hot actreeses are adult
              Originally posted by A Perfect Score
              players intsimy latieres are sutpdi. the players areat all unituw/ o dpmt ebem aer about wat the lpater aare calling themeslves of whatever, terhera will Its sutpid/ neever be anothe said playerm. rscj p;syhyrt uniyeee, snf rhyrtrgotr, each player autntiwue for each syste,. /
              Alcohol+Draft Forum= Fneuniest timez evverzzz

Comment

How many of those teams picked a QB in the second round the year before? It's not my opinion, it's Cam Cameron and Randy Mueller's opinion, and unless they are both fired there is NO chance we take a QB in the first.
                H...mmm, Miami is going nowhere and Green is done for the year but Lemon is starting while Beck rides the bench. You'd think they would be breaking him in at least slowly to develope him for next season if they thought he was the answer.
                We don't know yet if there is a top 5 QB in this year's draft but your telling me that Miami will stick with Beck if there is one in this draft. I don't think so.
                You no longer win Super Bowls with average QB's. Last year, everybody said Al Davis doesn't draft QB's in round 1 but guess what, he did, so there are no guarantees if a great talent is staring you in the face.
                And proud of it!!!

Comment

Go find ONE example of a team taking a first round QB the year after taking one in the 2nd round. OMG Beck isn't starting 7 weeks into his rookie year, he must be a bust, I mean there is no chance the Dolphins are letting him sit and learn rather that let him get destroyed before he's ready. Fantastic logic.

That is correct comahan
                  I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                  <3 dg

Comment

If the Dolphins staff likes Beck that much why is Cleo Lemon still playing? It's not like Beck is young or raw here, he's already 26. I'm not a supporter of the "top 5 pick in the draft = must take QB even if he's not really a top 5 talent" theory but I don't see why the Dolphins should immediately throw QB out the window if they have #1 or 2. As has been seen this year with the rash of QB injuries, it's not like having a good backup is a bad thing. Worst case scenario you have a Brees/Rivers situation but politics won't govern which one is picked since Cameron would have drafted both. I'm sure a young, talented QB could recuperate a good amount of value via trade if both Beck and Mystery 08 QB work out

Cam Cameron should ask Brad Childress how sticking with a 2nd round QB is working out (actually I guess AD is working out just fine...but yea)

Comment

Cam Cameron should ask Brad Childress how sticking with a 2nd round QB is working out (actually I guess AD is working out just fine...but yea)
                      I don't think a lot of people thought Jackson was a second round pick. Everyone was what thinking what the hell they were doing? I think every game he starts everyone still is. I hated that pick from the beginning and so far I'm right. Yeah Minnesota stuck with a second round QB for another year and they got AD over Quinn. And the problem is?

Comment

Go find ONE example of a team taking a first round QB the year after taking one in the 2nd round. OMG Beck isn't starting 7 weeks into his rookie year, he must be a bust, I mean there is no chance the Dolphins are letting him sit and learn rather that let him get destroyed before he's ready. Fantastic logic.
                        I'd be interested if there was an example found.

As someone noted, the Vikes drafted Tarvaris Jackson in the 2nd round of 2005 and passed on Brady Quinn in the Top 10 of 2006, but consider they drafted Adrian Peterson. So yeah.

San Diego drafted Drew Brees with the first pick of the 2nd round in 2001, and "drafted" Phillip Rivers with the 4th overall pick in 2004. Not the next year, they waited a few years.
                        Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Let's Stop this discussion about the Phins taking a top QB this year. There are very few sure things about the draft. But this is one of them. I will back DG up here, it WILL NOT HAPPEN, I ALSO GUARANTEE WE WILL NOT TAKE A QB THIS YEAR WITH THEIR FIRST PICK.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

Comment

Do you think McFadden will be a surprise now with Brown down, or is cameron happy with Chatman and brown for next year

but I guess people can bring up the Jackson comparison, I still think if you take a qb rd 2, and he never plays, you have to take one next year and either way your set at the qb position, the most important position, trade the other...which leads me to believe Miami HAS to play john beck this year, i dont think you can have the #1 pick and go into the new season not knowing what you get from him

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

I think the Dolphins have much greater needs than McFadden. To be honest though, McFadden isn't an elite runningback prospect for me. He's very good and the best runningback in the class, but I just can't call him elite nevermind the clear-cut BPA above everyone else. But again, that's me.

If I were in charge of the Dolphins, I'd definitely look elsewhere. My team has big needs, need for more talent to build with, and I've got super-talented back Ronnie Brown signed through 2010 (six-year deal right? should be).

Assuming the Dolphins have the first overall pick, which I think is highly likely, who would I take? Hmm ... McFadden, as said earlier, is a BPA candidate but gets no bonus from need ... so it's probably down to three players for me: defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey, defensive end Chris Long, and offensive tackle Jake Long. I still like J. Long enough to consider him here, although he's very likely a nod behind Dorsey and C. Long.

Any of the three help upgrade one of my lines of scrimmage, and I need to upgrade both so that's definitely an excellent move. Do I penalize Dorsey and C. Long for not being picture perfect fits for the 3-4 defense, or for playing 3-4 defense positions that aren't normally first overall picks? They're the best players available, superb talents, I'll take them and figure out how/where to play them later, I can't really care about much else. Taking the best possible talent available, it's hard for me to go wrong in the long run.

Truth be told, I wouldn't rule out a defensive scheme change from Capers' 3-4 defense. Nick Saban isn't there to make it work with success, and with the youth movement I'll be overseeing, changing to a 4-3 and maybe even a Tampa 2 defense could provide better results. My best defensive players can play in both the 3-4 and 4-3, and that is probably still the case whether I trade Jason Taylor or Zach Thomas.

Honestly? and assuming we're continuing this role-play as being in charge of the Miami Dolphins franchise, I think this could very well be Jason Taylor's last season in a Dolphins uniform. I could probably get a team in desperate need for a pass-rushing threat to give me an early 2nd round pick, maybe even higher. Taylor has shown he can impact games from both the 3-4 and 4-3, I'm sure there will be a few teams interested in his services.
                              Last edited by Geo; 10-23-2007, 01:11 AM.
                              Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information