A New #1 QB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New #1 QB

There is a new #1 in my quarterback rankings and his name is Matt Ryan.

This may come as a surprise to some since I have always been a bit skeptical of Mr. Ryan but I outlined some of my reasons for bumping him ahead of Brohm and Woodson in my November 2nd blog entry, which you can check out by clicking below:

Scott Wright, President
    Draft Countdown.com
    www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
    www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

ooh trouble in quarterbackland. Reasonable explanation though...

Are you going to use them in that order in your drafts as well? Since you've been historically wronged by teams in your rankings (Young before Leinart, Russell before Quinn)...

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
    don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post

Are you going to use them in that order in your drafts as well? Since you've been historically wronged by teams in your rankings (Young before Leinart, Russell before Quinn)...
      Yes, in the next mock draft the order the quarterbacks come off the board will likely be different.

Keep in mind though that when doing mock drafts I am not trying to project who I would take if I were running the team but rather who I think they will take. In short where a player is in my rankings does not necessarily corelate to where I think he will be drafted.
      Scott Wright, President
      Draft Countdown.com
      www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
      www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post

Just because a team drafts a player earlier doesn't mean they will have a better career. Russell and Quinn are both a push because it looks like neither will be playing this year, while even though Young has played in more games and done better than Leinart, I still think Leinart can turn his career around.

Originally posted by Halsey
        I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

really a side note first, not trying to intrude on the thread, but I'd be surprised if RUssell doesn't get time this year.

I've had it as Ryan/Woodson/Brohm for awhile. That said, I don't think any of the three will be premier signal callers. Of the three, I like Woodson's shot the best, but he needs a strong QB coach to work with him for awhile. That being said, I really don't envision anyone charging up and making a late run to break up this threesome and I think these will be the top 3 QB's off the board. I hope I'm wrong, as it'd make things much more interesting to discuss if someone did charge up, but not sold. If someone did, I'd look for a small school guy, someone like Joe Flacco or Josh Johnson, as I don't think guys like Ainge/Booty/Henne and co. have a shot at pushing through. In fact, wouldn't surprise me if someone like Joe Flacco ended up in the first round, and perhaps ended up as the best QB in the draft. Granted, always depends on getting in the right situation, so who knows.

edit: I like Ryan as the top QB because

1) Compared to Brohm, I think he sees the field better, throws to the different planes better, and in general, has a better feel for things. This isn't to so it's a lock, as I think Brohm has the better short-intermediate pro accuracy, and I think Brohm makes decisions better (which, for me, isn't the same thing as seeing the field better)

2) Compared to Woodson, I think Ryan is more ready to fit the balls into the pro windows.

In many ways, I think of Ryan as a poor man's Jay Cutler.
          Last edited by toonsterwu; 11-02-2007, 03:40 AM. Reason: added a comment on Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
            In many ways, I think of Ryan as a poor man's Jay Cutler.
            Absolutely agree.

I really like the way Ryan plays quarterback. I've never been particularly sold on Brohm and Woodson is going to require a solid body of work before I'd be comfortable handing him an NFL offense.

I'm a bit surprised you view Ryan as the surest thing among the consensus top three quarterbacks, but I definitely think he's the top senior passer.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
              Absolutely agree.

I really like the way Ryan plays quarterback. I've never been particularly sold on Brohm and Woodson is going to require a solid body of work before I'd be comfortable handing him an NFL offense.

I'm a bit surprised you view Ryan as the surest thing among the consensus top three quarterbacks, but I definitely think he's the top senior passer.
              I think Cutler displayed a much stronger arm and power in his throws. Also think Cutler displayed better scrambling ability, game moxie and fuller figure. I think Ryan will grow more, but he's still got some filling out to do. I can see the comparison as far as field vision goes though.

Comment

I'd like to know Scott why you think Woodson lacks intangibles. I have no problem when someone thinks Ryan has elite intangibles because I obviously can not disagree, but why does Woodson not get any love in that department?

It's easy to look good when you are playing against ACC defenses and the weak schedule Ryan has played. Woodson has to do it against SEC speed. This is a step above anything Ryan has ever faced (which includes VT). The SEC linebackers run 4.4 40s, its just a big difference. Speaking of which, Ryan just looked like an average QB against that VT defense. But when Woodson faced LSU, he looked like a gem.

Comment

Originally posted by BucSappy View Post
                  I'd like to know Scott why you think Woodson lacks intangibles. I have no problem when someone thinks Ryan has elite intangibles because I obviously can not disagree, but why does Woodson not get any love in that department?

It's easy to look good when you are playing against ACC defenses and the weak schedule Ryan has played. Woodson has to do it against SEC speed. This is a step above anything Ryan has ever faced (which includes VT). The SEC linebackers run 4.4 40s, its just a big difference. Speaking of which, Ryan just looked like an average QB against that VT defense. But when Woodson faced LSU, he looked like a gem.
                  I'm a huge fan of Andre' Woodson and personally would rank him higher (although i've had Matt Ryan higher on my own big board for awhile). I also think that the SEC is the best conference in football. That said, let's not go overboard. You make it sound as if the SEC and ACC are dramatically different in terms of defensive physical ability, relative to the opponents that these two have faced.

Granted, this isn't the best measure, but it is an indicator. Let's take a look at their schedules. Both Andre' and Matt have played again a FCS (I-AA) squad (Eastern Kentucky and Massachusetts respectively). Of their remaining games against division 1 opponents (or whatever they are calling it now), as of today, Andre has faced an opposing total defense that averaged a ranking of 46.9, while Matt has faced an opposing total defense that averaged 50.7. Take away the top defenses that those two have faced (LSU and Georgia Tech) and the averages come out to 53.3 for Andre' and 51.5 for Georgia Tech. Boston College's remaining 4 opponents so far are ranked 17/55/9/28, while Kentucky's remaining 3 are 14/25/85. Barring a surprise, Boston College will likely face on more ACC team, either UVA or VA Tech, both defenses highly considered.

What does this really mean? Not much really. I'd be the first to admit it. The more significant thing are the matchups. I mean, let's pretend a team doesn't face a 3-4 defense all year. And then they run up against UVA's. If they struggle, does it mean that they are a bad offense? Perhaps ... but it could also simply mean that they didn't adjust or deal with the matchups. Furthermore, at the end of the day, these are all kids. Some teams are younger, some teams are older. Some teams are gelled together a bit better ... and some are still finding their way. Some teams know and understand their schemes better, allowing them to be more effective as a defensive unit.

What am I saying? Short of it is that, I don't buy the "Kentucky has faced harder defenses" angle. At the end of the year, if Ryan is on top, he'll have gone through a tough road. Matt Ryan is going to have gone through enough teams with defensive ability. I mean, Florida State and Miami, both of whom are struggling, are teams that are considered to have quality defensive speed and ability. Same goes for Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech. I mean, everyone wants to point to Virginia Tech's stinker against LSU, but it was early in the year and LSU is good. Same goes for Clemson. Wake Forest's defense, while not a unit that I would consider fast, has more than enough speed and is a sound unit.

and btw, you make it sound as if every SEC defense is stacked with linebackers that run 4.4 40's. I mean, Patrick Willis was the exception, not the rule.

Now, as noted above, the thing for me is that, I believe Ryan is better able to fit the balls in right now, and thus, more ready to step in. Woodson's going to need some work, IMO.
                  Last edited by toonsterwu; 11-02-2007, 09:33 AM. Reason: I am Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by BucSappy View Post

weak schedule Ryan has played. Woodson has to do it against SEC speed. This is a step above anything Ryan has ever faced (which includes VT). The SEC linebackers run 4.4 40s, its just a big difference. Speaking of which, Ryan just looked like an average QB against that VT defense. But when Woodson faced LSU, he looked like a gem.
                    Yet another person who buys into this "SEC SPEED" garbage. Stop, just stop.
                    Their linebackers do not run 4.4 40s. It's ******* stupid of you to say this. Patrick Willis ran a 4.38, but that's about it. Let's look at the generally regarded top 2 SEC teams....

LSU Linebackers

Ali Highsmith: 4.59
                    Luke Sanders: 4.87
                    Darry Beckwith: 4.59
                    Jacob Cutrera: 4.70
                    Average 40 time: 4.69

Florida Linebackers

Brandon Spikes: 4.69
                    Dustin Doe: 4.65
                    A.J Jones 4.63
                    Ryan Stamper 4.58
                    Average 40 time: 4.64

4.4s huh?

Comment

Originally posted by SNIPER26 View Post
                      Their linebackers do not run 4.4 40s. It's ******* stupid of you to say this. Patrick Willis ran a 4.38, but that's about it. Let's look at the generally regarded top 2 SEC teams....

LSU Linebackers

Florida Linebackers

A.J Jones 4.63
                      Ryan Stamper 4.58

4.4s huh?
                      None of those numbers are verifiable 40 times. If you think Highsmith is going to run a 4.59 at the Combine, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Comment

Originally posted by theogt View Post
                        None of those numbers are verifiable 40 times. If you think Highsmith is going to run a 4.59 at the Combine, I've got a bridge to sell you.
                        I bet you he doesn't run in the 4.4s

Comment

Harvey Unga

Wow this surprising. I still think Woodson is #1..

Comment

Originally posted by SNIPER26 View Post

LSU Linebackers

Florida Linebackers

A.J Jones 4.63
                            Ryan Stamper 4.58

4.4s huh?
                            Game speed is a whole 'nother issue

Comment

Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
                              Game speed is a whole 'nother issue
                              You're right, it is. But another issue that comes into place is the fact that since quite a few SEC teams run a spread O or some variation of it, LBs don't play as many snaps as DBs do. For example, if you're going to run a nickel package with 5 DBs, your DBs should be faster than your LBs, hence the whole "SEC Speed" myth.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information