Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the Pats going to do with their top 5 pick?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the Pats going to do with their top 5 pick?

I have been wondering a lot lately what the pats are going to do with their pick. They could go in so many directions, some people have then taking Mcfadden, but I don't believe that will happen,others have them taking a CB, or linebackers, and I even heard one rumor of them taking a WR to replace Stallworth.

I really think it comes down to if they resign Assante Samuel(opinions on this subject?) But even if they don't, would they really pick 2 1st round CB's in a row(Meriweather)

I am just confused, someone give me some clarity.

If McFadden is available there's no way they pass on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Gridiron View Post
      If McFadden is available there's no way they pass on him.
      Completely agree with that logic. They like to rub it into people's faces that they are the Pats, so why not take McFadden.

Originally posted by Halsey
      I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtlepower View Post
        Completely agree with that logic. They like to rub it into people's faces that they are the Pats, so why not take McFadden.
        Because of this guy named Laurence Maroney.

Comment

Originally posted by T.Smith View Post
          Because of this guy named Laurence Maroney.
          Chester Taylor ran for over 1,200 yards last year and who did the Vikings pick? Oh yeah, Adrian Peterson.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtlepower View Post
            Chester Taylor ran for over 1,200 yards last year and who did the Vikings pick? Oh yeah, Adrian Peterson.
            Maroney is only in his second year though, there is a big difference.

Comment

I understand that and I'm not saying that are drafting McFadden as a replacement, but just as a compliment. Yeah, Laurenitas or possibly Chris Long fit better, but I feel they will. Just my personal opinion and I completely understand how it can blow up in my face.

Comment

I think they like Maroney there and they're a passing team that only runs to keep defenses honest. the Pats strategy lately seems to consist of moving down a little and garnering extra picks. Whatever they do it will be hard to argue with as they seem to do all the right things.

Comment

If mcfadden falls, its him. If not, the pick is either kenny phillips or malcolm jenkins. Mcfadden shouldnt fall that far. im leaning towards phillips, seeing as rodney harrison is getting older and that way meriweather can move to CB full time if and when asante samuel leaves. Jenkins gives them the same option, except he can play safety or CB same as meriweather so he gives them mroe versatility. I think the pick is either mcfadden or a DB. Laurenitas is a bad pick for them IMO, doesnt fit teh scheme, cant take on blocks, doesnt fit outside, no dice with him.
                  Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                  The APS is strong in this one.
                  Originally posted by killxswitch
                  Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

I think it will be a defender myself.

I do wonder though if the Pats won't try to trade it. They're not accustomed to paying a lot of money for a rookie like they may have to with the 49ers pick. I think they're healthy cap wise but they have a few reasonably important players who may be looking for a new deal so I'm not sure they'd tie up a fair amount of cap space in a rookie.

Comment

I think McFadden would definitely be an option. The reason being that Maroney has been banged up the last couple years.

That being said, I think their top option is to deal down. These being the Pats, I think they would be more open to various combinations, rather than demanding just picks this year. I could see them willing to take picks in 09's draft to balance out a deal.

I think option 2, assuming Asante Samuel is gone, is DB. I still think Meriweather is better off at S, but either way, they could use a top DB.

I think the 3rd option would be an edge guy.

Comment

They will prob trade down and stock pile on picks that they don't need.

Comment

I think there are a number of picks that make sense. The way that i look at it is as follows; as a jets fan, who would be the one person I would least like to see twice a year. Personally, it is quentin groves.

I don't think that their offense has any trouble scoring points right now and it's not that anyone is more talented, becuase they aren't, but taking a back that high in the draft you have to put a lot of money into them. That is money i think could be better spent. Thus, the pick i feel would be quentin groves. He could add more to the team at this very point than I think mcfadden could. Right now, the offense is good, explosive, and relatively young. THe defense is the worse half of the team (not that they are bad by any means, they are fantastic. I just think they pale a little in comparison to the offense). Basically, I think opting for groves will help replenish an aging lb corp as well as providing a great help to the pass rush.

Edit: I think most people who dont have 1 glaring need in the top part of the draft would love to trade down, but there has to be a team willing to trade up that feels they can't get a particular player later in the draft. I just don't necessarily see that team right now, but a few months can change a lot of things.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

I really don't see Quentin Groves as the top edge guy off the board as of now. I think if folks considered Harvey an edge guy (I'm iffy on if the Pats would think about him that way), he would be top as of now, with Gholston nearby. I think Crable might be about on the same level, if not slightly ahead, of Groves. That said, if Groves does run a 4.4 time, he'll definitely move up. Just not sold that he'd move to become top 5 worthy.

Comment

I think we'd all agree that the Pats most desperately need a shot in the arm for their linebacking corps, but I really don't think that any linebacker (or hybrid rusher) will be considered worth top 5 money come April.

So, looking at the players that will be available, and assuming that the Pats cannot trade down (at least probably not for proper value), I see a cornerback, a defensive lineman, or a runningback. Defensive line is a bit of a value pick considering the likelihood of 3 or 4 defensive linemen going in the top 10, but should some lineman blow the scouting department away (Chris Long is probably the best candidate of doing so), I wouldn't rule it out. If Asante Samuel leaves, I think that a corner like Malcolm Jenkins is the most obvious pick.

As for the McFadden deal, I think it's a distinct possibility. However, I have a hard time wrapping my head around the Pats paying the tab for two 1st round runningbacks. Even when they built their wide receiver heavy offense for this season, they made sure to have carefully structured and generally short contracts. We may see a situation where McFadden ends up being the highest payed player of this draft (or at least trying to be) even if he doesn't go #1, so I have a hard time seeing the Pats go for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information