DE Long high on Jets' wish list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DE Long high on Jets' wish list

Although University of Virginia defensive end Chris Long, son of Hall of Famer Howie Long, is high on the Jets' early draft day wish list according to NFL insiders, those plans may change if second-year quarterback Kellen Clemens doesn't give the organization a reason to believe over the final five games of this lost season.

Quarterbacks usually take time to develop in the NFL (i.e. Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer) and this year's draft class doesn't include a can't-miss kid at the position. Brian Brohm (Louisville), Matt Ryan (Boston College) and Andre' Woodson (Kentucky) are considered the top three prospects coming out and it's doubtful the Jets would draft any of them with their anticipated top-five pick. They'll likely go defense.

However, if Clemens bottoms out over these final five games, the Jets may have to search the free-agent market or recycle an aging veteran to hold the fort until they can get someone in place. It's highly unlikely they would go back to Chad Pennington, who isn't expected to return next season. He has a $7.8 million cap number and a $4.8 million base salary in 2008.

Clemens has been very ordinary in his first four career starts this season and hasn't impressed anyone with his much-ballyhooed arm strength. While he has been under heavy pressure, his decision making has been questionable.
    Source: http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index....260.xml&coll=1

Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Hopefully he is #1. I want McFadden.

Comment

He's pretty much top 3 on every single NFL teams lists.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
      http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
      Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
      http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

am i the only one who thinks chris long will make a better 4-3 end then 3-4 when all is said and done? he has the skillset to be a perfect strongside end in a 4-3: very strong against the run with solid pass rush skills. Id rather see him wind up in a 4-3 oersonally, because i dont think he will weigh in much higher then 270, which IMO isnt big enough for a 3-4 end. Although i guess he does have teh skillset to play there as well... I dunno i just think he fits better at strong side DE in a 4-3.
        Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
        The APS is strong in this one.
        Originally posted by killxswitch
        Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
          am i the only one who thinks chris long will make a better 4-3 end then 3-4 when all is said and done? he has the skillset to be a perfect strongside end in a 4-3: very strong against the run with solid pass rush skills. Id rather see him wind up in a 4-3 oersonally, because i dont think he will weigh in much higher then 270, which IMO isnt big enough for a 3-4 end. Although i guess he does have teh skillset to play there as well... I dunno i just think he fits better at strong side DE in a 4-3.
          I agree. The best comparison for him in my mind is Aaron Kampman. i think he makes a first LDE in a base 4-3 defense.
          Sean Taylor - You'll always be missed but never forgotten

Comment

I was thinking Aaron Kampman to..i think Long is best suited for the 43.
            Derrick Morgan > All

Comment

ive watched him play twice this year and it seems like he is never double teamed on running plays. This is why i dont understand why a 3-4 team would want him, unless they are assuming he can add 30lbs and still play like he weighs less then 270.

Comment

I actually think he might be better as a 4-3 defensive tackle. He plays the run extremely well from the interior positions and is great at slipping guys and getting through to the quarterback.

Comment

Originally posted by A Perfect Score View Post
                  Completely agreed.

Seymour when drafted was 300.

Warren was 300.

Castillo was 295.

Canty was 280 but at 6'7 with his frame 20 pounds was a joke.

Spears was 295.

Olshanksy is 295-300.

Ngata is 340!!

The lightest good 3-4 end I can think of is Pryce at 286. Pryce was drafted as a 4-3 DE/DT and plays next to two guys who weight 650 pounds. He's also playing 3-4 DE with one of the most talented D's in the league AND one of the best pass rushers (Suggs) lined up on his side alot of the time.

Two gap 3-4 NEEDS size on the D-lines. I want an anchor, and I'd rather not waste the talents of one of the drafts pass rushers AND pay him top 5 money to do it.

Comment

What an odd article. It goes from Jets draft talk, to talking about how it depends on how Clemens does, then says there's no chance the Jets would actually draft a QB but instead would bring in a veteran.

Umm...what?

Also, did you guys know that Chris Long is Howie Long's son? Yup. Little known fact.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                      Also, did you guys know that Chris Long is Howie Long's son? Yup. Little known fact.
                      I think that's pretty much common knowledge..
                      Nick Foles are you really my daddy??!..?

Comment

Originally posted by GaMeTiMe View Post

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

LOL.

(10)

Comment

*rimshot!*

Comment

oh dear (10)

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information