Michael Oher- OG or OT?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Oher- OG or OT?

I read through past threads related to Oher, and none of them really address whether Oher is an OG or OT at the next level. The only thing people would say is that he just "projects to OG."

So is Michael Oher an OG or OT in the NFL? If he projects to OG, why?

In my opinion he is definitely a future LT. He is a physical freak. Oher is very athletic for being 6'5 325. He has quick feet, long arms, and great size. I think some people see him as a guard because he has a low center of gravity, something many LT's don't have. For some reason, there are people out there who think if you are a powerful OT under 6'6, you should play RT or G. Although I believe he would be very successful at Guard, it would be a waste of potential. Oher has everything you look for in a franchise LT.

Comment

People project him as a guard because he is oftern listed at 6-4. I see him every week at school and I am pretty sure he is 6-5, and even if he were 6-4, it doesn't matter. Oher is a great LT prospect. He is big at about 6-5 320 and one of the most athletic lineman around. He is a great pass blocker (his strength) and a solid run blocker. He has anchored the Rebel line against great SEC defenses this year, I think Oher is a top 15 pick.

He is so athletic and such a great pass blocker that projecting him at anything other than LT is overthinking things. He has the size and strength to be a solid NFL run blocker and is a polished, athletic pass blocker.

Oher is a left tackle all the way.

Comment

Willie Roaf was 6'4 if I'm not mistaken, and he was a great one. The only time I have a problem with height is if the tackle is 6'1 or 6'2, that might be a little short, which correlates directly with arm length.

Comment

Originally posted by villagewarrior View Post
          Willie Roaf was 6'4 if I'm not mistaken, and he was a great one. The only time I have a problem with height is if the tackle is 6'1 or 6'2, that might be a little short, which correlates directly with arm length.
          Yeah it doesn't really make a huge difference for tackles until you get down to about 6-2, and like you said the big thing is wingspan. If a guy earns 1st team All-SEC as a junior LT and has great potential, you don't say he should be a guard just because some sites list him at 6-4 (which is not that small for an NFL tackle).

I think Oher will put on a show at the combine. I know I have been selling him pretty hard but he is a good one, Oher is one of the few Ole Miss players that has shown something on the field that warrants praise.

Comment

Working...
          X

Debug Information