Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best POWER RB's in the draft?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best POWER RB's in the draft?

    Who are the best POWER RB's in this years draft?

    Also what round do you think they will be picked around?


    Thank you

  • #2
    Honestly I don't know if I'd say there were any good true power backs in this draft. There seems to be a lot of runners who would prefer to bounce outside. If I had to go with one I'd say Ryan Torain of Arizona State

    Comment


    • #3
      Kevin Smith is one of the main powerbacks in this draft and hes almost a lock for the second round if he declares and tests well.

      Comment


      • #4
        Do you guys know how fast Ryan Torian runs. I remember him as a hard runner. Also didnt he get hurt this year?

        What about: Johnathan Stewart, BenJarvus Green Ellis,

        ALSO: Owen Schmidt used in a Mike Alsott role?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by CaliPanthers420 View Post
          Do you guys know how fast Ryan Torian runs. I remember him as a hard runner. Also didnt he get hurt this year?

          What about: Johnathan Stewart, BenJarvus Green Ellis,

          ALSO: Owen Schmidt used in a Mike Alsott role?
          Jonathan Stewart is a big guy but he's not really a power runner in my opinion. It might have been the offense in Oregon but he rarely ran between the tackles.

          Comment


          • #6
            Jehuu Caulcrick is listed as a FB by Scott but got a lot of touches for Michigan St. this season, and he is a punishing runner at about 6-1 260. He is by no means slow either, he hits the hole hard and runs tough. Another guy in a similar situation as Caulcrick is Texas A&M junior Javorskie Lane, he is a mammoth who absolutely punishes defenders on his runs.

            As far as pure halfbacks are concerned, I think the best power backs in this class are South Carolina's Cory Boyd (runs with the intent of hurting defenders), ASU's Torain, UCF's Kevin Smith, Tulane's Matt Forte (lesser competition but looked extremely tough running the ball), and Boston College's LV Whitworth.

            Guys like Chauncey Washington and BenJarvus Green-Ellis have all of the tools to make great NFL backs, I'm just not sure if they will do it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Remember the name LEX HILLIARD

              I heard his name called a few times in the past on Montana games inthe divison 1 playoff, then he had a decent year this year. nothin great.
              the guy is a great story been through adversity and is a truck. Graceful for a larger guy too. I think the rugby experience helped him. Like Stewart Bradley last year. At 6' 230 before the injury he was said to have run a 4.48-4.51 40, but achilles inury slowed him up a bit. But i think with proper traning and a decent number at his pro day he will open some eyes.


              Last edited by bored of education; 12-17-2007, 01:46 AM.
              my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
              <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
              <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
              <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
              Originally posted by Hermstheman83
              What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

              Comment


              • #8
                Mendenhall.. not so much power as just a hard runner.. 1-2..

                Forte(3-4), Boyd(4), Torain (5-6), Green-Ellis(6-7), Xavier Omon (7-FA), Jalen Parmele(FA), Kregg Lumpkin (FA), Tim Hightower (FA), Alley Broussard (FA), Greg Moore (FA)

                FB Tweeners?

                Jacob Hester and depending on how well he times.. he's probably a 4-5th rounder.

                Jerome Felton (6-7), Jehuu Caulcrick(7-FA)..

                I wouldn't mind seeing Dionte Johnson with more opportunities

                Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

                Comment


                • #9
                  cory boyd reminds me a little of marion barber...not quite as big or as hard of a hitter, but similar angry styles.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
                    Jonathan Stewart is a big guy but he's not really a power runner in my opinion. It might have been the offense in Oregon but he rarely ran between the tackles.
                    Stewart is a power runner with unbelievable speed for his size. He doesn't quite have the burst of say Ronnie Brown, but he runs with better power and has a nasty stiff arm.

                    Also, he does a fair share of running between the tackles. It is actually one of the best things he does. He fits through very small holes for a guy his size. The whole "power runner" concept is a bit of a misnomer anyways, because running between tackles has much more to do with vision, cutting and finding and bursting through holes than it does with pure power. Most guys who are though of as "power backs" like Jamal Lewis, Bettis, Alstot just don't have the speed to get to the edge. Stewart will be a balanced runner in the NFL because he is an inside/outside threat.

                    Actually, by virtue of the type of offense Oregon runs most of the natural running lanes are between tackles and not off-tackle. Because the first threat in a spread offense is pass, most defenses come out with their de's wider and db's spread out.

                    In the end the real question is, "Is Stewart a punishing back?" And the answer is, "sometimes, but not consistently enough" What Stewart does that is not typical of a big back is that he often tries to shake guys he can easily run over. Sometimes he even tries to hurdle them, which hardly ever works.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Mike Hart may not be your traditional through-the-tackles bowling over linebackers type of power RB, but a lot of people don't understand that he is a power back...If you put him between the tackles, he'll find a way to get the yards.

                      Caulcrick from MSU is real tough (TJ Duckett-esque) but he seems pretty unpolished.

                      Does Hester remind anybody else of Jamal Lewis? More of a later-in-his career Jamal and not 2000-yard Jamal.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Matt Forte, in between the tackle kind of guy, wears a defense down over the course of the game but also is a good blocker, can catch and has that extra gear when he gets into the secondary

                        Corey Boyd, same style had a good year in the SEC

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by no love View Post
                          Stewart is a power runner with unbelievable speed for his size. He doesn't quite have the burst of say Ronnie Brown, but he runs with better power and has a nasty stiff arm.

                          Also, he does a fair share of running between the tackles. It is actually one of the best things he does. He fits through very small holes for a guy his size. The whole "power runner" concept is a bit of a misnomer anyways, because running between tackles has much more to do with vision, cutting and finding and bursting through holes than it does with pure power. Most guys who are though of as "power backs" like Jamal Lewis, Bettis, Alstot just don't have the speed to get to the edge. Stewart will be a balanced runner in the NFL because he is an inside/outside threat.

                          Actually, by virtue of the type of offense Oregon runs most of the natural running lanes are between tackles and not off-tackle. Because the first threat in a spread offense is pass, most defenses come out with their de's wider and db's spread out.

                          In the end the real question is, "Is Stewart a punishing back?" And the answer is, "sometimes, but not consistently enough" What Stewart does that is not typical of a big back is that he often tries to shake guys he can easily run over. Sometimes he even tries to hurdle them, which hardly ever works.

                          Agree, the only thing that concerns me is getting Stewart out of that veer offense, he did struggle a bit when Dixon went down, probably to be expected.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X

                          Debug Information