Safeties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safeties

This class of safeties is pretty weak. With only Kenny Phillips as the only true safety being 1st round worthy. Several CB's like Malcolm Jenkins and Reggie Smith have some experience at safety, which could improve their stock due to the weak class of safeties. Charles Godfrey could also sneak into the 2nd round as a FS. Who else could legitimately move over to safety?

Simeon Castille
    Terrell Thomas
    Zack Bowman

I think those 3 are also legitimate free safety prospects as well as corners.

Comment

I think that if Nic Harris declares, he is definitely worth a first round grade. That kid is a straight up balla.

Originally posted by Halsey
      I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

Courtney Greene is a better NFL safety prospect than Kenny Philips. mark it down.
        We ALL bleed scarlet
        New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
        UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
        Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
        BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Another stupid thread...that has been exhausted by foozball. How many times are you going to try to move a corner with size to the safety position. Ok....we know your team needs a Safety....but this is really annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by thule View Post
            Another stupid thread...that has been exhausted by foozball. How many times are you going to try to move a corner with size to the safety position. Ok....we know your team needs a Safety....but this is really annoying.
            ahhh!!! the nfldraftcountdown.com message board nazi! quit trying to censor me. it's not that hard to just ignore my posts. i don't force you to read them.

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
              Courtney Greene is a better NFL safety prospect than Kenny Philips. mark it down.

No Homer? How can you make such claims? please elaborate..

Comment

im gonna have to agree with the nic harris comment. he could move up boards fast with a good workout.

Comment

Whos the best SS in this years draft?
                  "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
                    No Homer? How can you make such claims? please elaborate..
                    Philips doesnt seem to go 100% on every play. I'll admit, I havent watched him enough, but from what I've seen, Greene will surprise tons of people if he enters with his workouts
                    We ALL bleed scarlet
                    New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                    UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                    Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                    BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Originally posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
                      Whos the best SS in this years draft?
                      I would say the nod goes to Nic Harris. =D

Originally posted by Halsey
                      I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

Courtney Greene is better all around, and more active player than Phillips.

Comment

Tyrell Johnson, if he has a good workout, I could see him being the third safety taken, or second if Reggie Smith doesn't declare... I could also see Craig Steltz sneaking into th 2nd round as well if he times well.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Comment

what about William Moore, Missouri??

he can play SS or FS

He is listed at 6-2, 205 and has a 40 time around 4.48

He has had a great season:

13 GP, 104 Tackles (63 solo, 41 assists), 9.0 TFL (42yds), 2.0 sack (21 yds), 7 Int (35 yds), 5 BrUp, 2 QBH, 1 FF

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Pete View Post
                              what about William Moore, Missouri??

he can play SS or FS

He is listed at 6-2, 205 and has a 40 time around 4.48

He has had a great season:

13 GP, 104 Tackles (63 solo, 41 assists), 9.0 TFL (42yds), 2.0 sack (21 yds), 7 Int (35 yds), 5 BrUp, 2 QBH, 1 FF
                              Moore's only a junior but he's pretty good, I think he is definitely a SS in the NFL. I don't think he is a sub 4.5 forty guy, he is a very good athlete but he does not look incredibly fast on the field. 40's are over-rated to an extent anyways and regardless, he is a very good player who would be a first rounder if he came out due to the lack of safeties in this class.

This class could be decent if some juniors other than KP declare, there are a lot of versatile guys who can be moved all over the secondary. If guys like Courtney Greense, Moore, and Nic Harris stay in school this could potentially be the worst safety class on paper in a while. I would rank this safety class with juniors who may come out like this-

1. Kenny Phillips* Miami 6-1 210 Been the clearcut #1 probably since his freshman year, can play both spots and possibly some corner. He has all of the measurables and intangibles, but as some have pointed out he can take plays off. Phillips always stands out when you watch the Canes play, he is the heart of that defense and could be the next great safety from the U.

2a. Courtney Greene* Rutgers 6-1 205 Greene is one of the more underrated eligible prospects in the land, if he comes out he could very well go in the first. Greene always seems to be around the ball making plays. He could play both safety spots. His triangle numbers will probably not jump out at you, but Greene is a football player who can do it all.

2b. William Moore* Mizzou 6-1 210 Had a huge 2007, is a great athlete who could sneak into round 1 with a good combine. Good looking SS prospect, can play in the box, catch, make plays, and tackle. Kind of burst onto the scene this season, if he stays in school and has another great year he would probably help himself out.

4. Nic Harris* Oklahoma 6-3 225 Huge SS with great athleticism, solid NFL prospect who can hit and make plays. Harris is another guy who is a fringe round 1 prospect, but I see Harris going in the second if he comes out. He is definitely a guy who's stock would skyrocket with good workouts.

5. Craig Steltz LSU 6-2 205 Really took over the LSU secondary with Laron Landry gone, made some big plays this year but also disappeared in some games and also missed quite a few tackles. Steltz put up some good numbers this year, but take his stats with a grain of salt because he would be a nonfactor for a few games then pick of 2 or 3 balls another week. The combine will be big for Steltz, I'm not too sold on him.

6. Josh Barrett ASU 6-2 230 Barret has all of the tools to be a great NFL safety, he will tear up the combine. He is big, strong, and can run. Had a great career at ASU, has the skillset to be able to play both safety spots but I like him at FS in the NFL. Not saying he's Sean Taylor as a player, but his size and speed combo is off the charts.

7. Jonathan Hefney Tenn 5-9 190 Hefney stock has slipped a lot since this season started, I saw him as a late 1st rounder in the pre-season but now it looks he will last to maybe the 3rd. He is undersized, but he is a leader and very fast. One of the few straight up FS prospects in this class, but Hefney is another guy who has disappeared in games, not to sure about Hefney.

8. Thomas DeCoud Cal 6-1 205 I only saw DeCoud play twice this year but he looked good, he is another guy who can play both safety spots and some corner. DeCoud looked like a very smooth athlete and polished player, I don't know how his workouts will go but he looked like he could be an NFL safety when I watched him.

9. Jamar Adams Michigan 6-2 210 Adams was inconsistent at Michigan, but he is an impressive athlete with some size. All it takes is a good showing in Indy to see your stock shoot up through the roof. He has all of the talent and tools you need as a SS and has played pretty well at times.

10. Tom Zbikowski 6-0 210 Zbikowski doesn't have too many fans on this board, but there is no denying that he is a smart and tough player. I honestly believe that he is a legitimate safety prospect who will go in round 4 at the latest, he is not as lost in coverage as you would think. He goes for the big hit and whiffs at times, but he has been given a big burden leading that ND defense for the last few years.

12. Derek Pegues* Miss. St. 6-0 200
                              12. DJ Wolfe Oklahoma 5-11 200
                              13. Tyrell Johnson Ark. St. 6-1 200
                              14. Marcus Griffin 5-11 200
                              15. Jamie Silva BC 5-11 205

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information