Sell me on Matt Ryan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sell me on Matt Ryan

Personally, I don't get what all the hype is about. While I admit, I haven't seen that much of him (a few games is all), he really hasn't impressed me that much. Do I think he has potential to be a good QB? Sure. But do I think he's in an elite class and better than Brohm? Hell no.

However, I am an open individual who's willing to learn. So I'm asking you, please sell me on Matt Ryan? What does he have that makes him special as a prospect and sets himself apart from the rest?

I don't think he's going to be a great QB either, but in comparison to Brohm, by most accounts, he offers better intangibles, and he has better raw tools. Now, depending on your scheme, I could see Brohm's accuracy get valued, but Ryan can probably still fill out a bit. I think he's better at fitting balls into the window. Brohm has plusses compared to Ryan. He probably sees the field a bit better, and he's more consistent with his short-intermdiate range accuracy, amongst other aspects.

Neither one is really an elite QB prospect, and I don't expect either to become elite QB's in all honesty, although that's partially a factor of situation and circumstance.

Comment

He has excellent size, intangibles, and toughness. He played with a broken foot for a lot of last year that hindered his production, and he also has a mediocre supporting cast but still manages to win lots of games. I'm kind of tired but that gives you a basic idea.

Comment

Matt only has 20k miles on him, owned by a man who liked coke and sex parties, thats gotta count for somethin
        Last edited by Green Bay Scat; 12-22-2007, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Ryan has a really high floor. I don't see him as having better tools than Brohm though, besides his mobility. Brohm's deep ball is a lot better.

Comment

By what measure does Ryan have a high floor? He's unbelievably INT prone and barely completed 60% of his passes his senior year in a not so good conference

Comment

He slices, he dices, he throws, he catches, he teleports, he can shoot laser beams from his eyes. He's the next Vince Young, Jay Cutler and Matt Leinart all rolled into one. No, not that he has the skills of all three, he's actually all three of them in one physical being. He can split into the three of them and make two of them invisible. He can put telepathic suggestions in the minds of defenses to jump offsides. He's Jim Sorgi's long lost brother.

He can do your math homework and juggle hammers at the same time. He can throw a football at a dartboard and then throw a second football at the first one and split the first football in twane. If you've ever seen Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves or Men In Tights and you've got a pretty good idea of what it looks like.

He's the next Reggie Bush
              He's the next Jason Witten
              He's the next Joey Porter
              He's the next Levi Brown
              He's the next Roy Williams
              Both of them

Are you sold yet?

Comment

Originally posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
                By what measure does Ryan have a high floor? He's unbelievably INT prone and barely completed 60% of his passes his senior year in a not so good conference

Other than SEC, which conference was better this year? Big XII. Yeah, right. Mizzou and Kansas could hang 50 on the whole league and they claim to play football. Did you some of the scores out there this year. Big 10. Please. I'm a PSU fan. Big 10 was terrible this year He played against some very good defenses. Va Tech 2x, won at Clemson, FSU still has a good defense. Pac-10 had a decent year. But, no better other than USC.

60% of passes isn't terrible. He has absolutely no talent at wr. A lot harder to force the ball into closely guarded receivers than those who are wide open. Because of their talent/or lack of defense by other team. He kind of reminds me of Bledsoe without the A+++ arm. Just an A arm. Which isn't bad. I wouldn't gamble on him being a franchise player by taking him in Top 3. But, Brohm isn't any better.

Comment

as a fan of the ACC, they were the worst major conference other than the Big 10 this year

dont confuse inept offenses for good defenses

Comment

Originally posted by bruschis4all View Post
                    Other than SEC, which conference was better this year? Big XII. Yeah, right. Mizzou and Kansas could hang 50 on the whole league and they claim to play football. Did you some of the scores out there this year. Big 10. Please. I'm a PSU fan. Big 10 was terrible this year He played against some very good defenses. Va Tech 2x, won at Clemson, FSU still has a good defense. Pac-10 had a decent year. But, no better other than USC.

60% of passes isn't terrible. He has absolutely no talent at wr. A lot harder to force the ball into closely guarded receivers than those who are wide open. Because of their talent/or lack of defense by other team. He kind of reminds me of Bledsoe without the A+++ arm. Just an A arm. Which isn't bad. I wouldn't gamble on him being a franchise player by taking him in Top 3. But, Brohm isn't any better.

LMAO. An "A" arm. That's classic.

Comment

Kyle Boller is who he reminds me of...

Comment

Originally posted by bruschis4all View Post

Got destroyed against Maryland, just so we dont forget

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

I dont think I can sell you on him or any other QB in this draft, other than possibly Brian Brohm, even that would be tough.

Comment

I would say the scouting report on Ryan would be about the same scouting report on Tom Brady out of college. Tall, good arm, leadership skills. That would be the hope that he would develope into the next Tom Brady. Works for me.

Comment

His saving grace is his pocket presence, which has been absolutely top notch whenever I've watched him. There's almost no dropoff between his decisions under pressure and his decisions with time, which would be an amazing IF he made good decisions with time, but he doesn't. To be honest I like the Boller comparison, but I also see a little David Carr in him and a little Tom Brady. If he works hard, I think he can be everything Brady is, but I don't think he is competitive enough or as hard-working so that level is unlikely.

In response to the original prompt:
                              - Amazing pocket presence
                              - Good NFL arm
                              - Good leadership potential
                              - NFL frame
                              - Mobile enough for the next level
                              - Great overall potential/ceiling
                              - High character
                              - Intelligent

Comment

Working...
                              X