NFL teams grab their QBs in '08! Next year looks horrible

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL teams grab their QBs in '08! Next year looks horrible

I notice this year people are complaining about Ryan/Brohm/Woodson/Brennan, but they look like Manning/Brady compared to the QB crop next year. My prediction is that many NFL teams will be drafting QBs in Rounds 1-3 this year, knowing the dearth of quality QBs for 2009 Draft.

My observation is that there are lots of 3rd-5th round talents to choose from, but none are 1st round material and only a few who are solid Round 2 QBs.

1. Todd Boeckman (scary but true...he may be the best senior QB next year)
    2. Hunter Cantwell (Brohm-like QB that I like)
    3. Chase Daniel
    4. Rudy Carpenter
    5. Cullen Harper
    6. Curtis Painter
    7. Graham Harrell
    8. Nate Longshore
    9. Stephen McGee
    10. John Parker Wilson

P.S. This list makes me think Tim Tebow will be heading to the NFL Draft in 2009....and will be the slam-dunk 1st round QB selected. The rest of the list (seniors only) looks awful!!

P.S.2. Oddly I can't really think of any Vince Young-like QB next year that's NFL ready. I know Pat White is fast, but I can't seriously imagine him playing QB in NFL (the guy is listed as 185 lbs, so probably weighs even less than that).

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't think Vince Young was really an "NFL ready" QB coming out of Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by porter20 View Post
      I notice this year people are complaining about Ryan/Brohm/Woodson/Brennan, but they look like Manning/Brady compared to the QB crop next year. My prediction is that many NFL teams will be drafting QBs in Rounds 1-3 this year, knowing the dearth of quality QBs for 2009 Draft.

My observation is that there are lots of 3rd-5th round talents to choose from, but none are 1st round material and only a few who are solid Round 2 QBs.

1. Todd Boeckman (scary but true...he may be the best senior QB next year)
      2. Hunter Cantwell (Brohm-like QB that I like)
      3. Chase Daniel
      4. Rudy Carpenter
      5. Cullen Harper
      6. Curtis Painter
      7. Graham Harrell
      8. Nate Longshore
      9. Stephen McGee
      10. John Parker Wilson

P.S. This list makes me think Tim Tebow will be heading to the NFL Draft in 2009....and will be the slam-dunk 1st round QB selected. The rest of the list (seniors only) looks awful!!

P.S.2. Oddly I can't really think of any Vince Young-like QB next year that's NFL ready. I know Pat White is fast, but I can't seriously imagine him playing QB in NFL (the guy is listed as 185 lbs, so probably weighs even less than that).
      Don't forget Bobby Reid if he transfers and gets playing time. Also another guy to watchout for is Rhett Bomar who will be a senior at Sam Houston State. The guy is crazy talented and seems to have his troubles behind him. Josh Portis is another guy who could shoot up boards with a good year at Maryland next year with his athleticism

Comment

It won't surprise me at all if Tebow and Stafford both come out early. I think they would immediatley become the Number 1 and 2 QB's in the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
          It won't surprise me at all if Tebow and Stafford both come out early. I think they would immediatley become the Number 1 and 2 QB's in the draft.
          Personally I don't like either QB. I think Tebow is a one-dimensional system QB who will end up like Alex Smith. I am then troubled at the fact that Matthew Stafford can't complete more than 55% of his passes when he has solid WRs in Sean Bailey, Mohammad Massaquoi, and Mikey Henderson

Comment

Well, I think Nate Longshore could improve his draft stock a bit if he has a good year. Though with all those weapons he has he should be putting up much better numbers. He hasn't played terrible I suppose, but he does seem to have the size and perhaps some of the intangibles to go up some draft boards if he does well at the combine and Senior Bowl.

Just my thoughts.

Honestly, if Chase Daniel wasn't 6 foot I would imagine he'd get some first round consideration despite playing in a pass first offense. He seems like a guy you'd want leading your team on Sunday.

Curtis Painter could sneak up some draft boards too.
            (shameless self-promotion)
            Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
            https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

Originally posted by Forenci View Post
              Well, I think Nate Longshore could improve his draft stock a bit if he has a good year. Though with all those weapons he has he should be putting up much better numbers. He hasn't played terrible I suppose, but he does seem to have the size and perhaps some of the intangibles to go up some draft boards if he does well at the combine and Senior Bowl.
              Longshore is that college qb with all of the tools, offensive weapons, great coach, but has not been able to produce like he should.

Granted he has been hurt for a good portion of the year, so heres to hoping that he turns it on next season.

NFL coaches will love his physical attributes though and he should probably get drafted on the first day based on that and the fact that he has a ton of potential. Hard to pass up on a qb who is 6'5" 233 lbs, with a rocket arm, good fundamentals, that stands tall in the pocket and can throw a excellent deep ball when given a good pocket.

Comment

Speaking as a Cal fan, Longshore would have to have quite a year. He looked far more lost than he should be after playing in Tedford's offense for as long as he has for big patches of last season. Granted, the whole Cal team had issues, but Longshore was a huge part of the collapse that team saw.

He's got size and the arm, but he'll have to be pretty amazing next year to be considered a first day choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
                  . I am then troubled at the fact that Matthew Stafford can't complete more than 55% of his passes when he has solid WRs in Sean Bailey, Mohammad Massaquoi, and Mikey Henderson
                  I'm not worried about the completion % the WR get no sepration at all from DB's so that has a lot to do with this % being so low. His % went up by 3 so from his freshman year so it's going in the right direction.
                  Last edited by georgiafan; 12-26-2007, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Right now, yes, this looks grim. However, a year can make a big difference. Guys can improve, and I think they will. Remember the jump JR made from his Sophomore to Junior year.

BoneKrusher

Comment

Mike Teel is gonna be a senior. He's the next John Elway
                      We ALL bleed scarlet
                      New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                      UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                      Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                      BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
                        Mike Teel is gonna be a senior. He's the next John Elway
                        No, thank you.

BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by no love View Post
                          Granted he has been hurt for a good portion of the year, so heres to hoping that he turns it on next season.

NFL coaches will love his physical attributes though and he should probably get drafted on the first day based on that and the fact that he has a ton of potential. Hard to pass up on a qb who is 6'5" 233 lbs, with a rocket arm, good fundamentals, that stands tall in the pocket and can throw a excellent deep ball when given a good pocket.
                          Hurt?he suffered a high sprain against Oregon had a bye week the next week and a month later that was still his excuse.People cant pass on his potential?His so called rocket arm is just as big of a problem as his mental tools.He constantly underthrows his recievers.His accuracy isnt anything special either. He has an excellent oline and yet throws off his backfoot when theres no pressure.I dont get how people can say this guy has a rocket arm.If he does he sure hasnt shown it or any glimpses of it.
                          On top of that he will probably loose Desean,Hawkins,Jordan and Stevens.THe only WRs returning are Cunningham and Best.Cunningham doesnt have that much experience.With Forsett leaving Best and Montgomery will probably split carries.The only for sure good target for him going into next year is Moorah at TE.Probably the best thing next year for Cal is for Longshore not to be the starting QB.
                          "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by georgiafan View Post
                            I'm not worried about the completion % the WR get no sepration at all from DB's so that has a lot to do with this % being so low. His % went up by 3 so from his freshman year so it's going in the right direction.
                            Agree, I dont think that is the greatest corps of Wrs there and they certainly werent in 06. The QB crop always looks a little suspect 15 monts before a draft so i wouldnt be too worried. I think technically these guys would all be eligible:

Tim Tebow
                            Matt Stafford
                            Jake Locker
                            Mark Sanchez
                            Chase Daniel
                            Todd Boeckman
                            Hunter Cantwell
                            Rhett Bomar
                            Sam Bradford

Comment

You guys may be missing one of the better QBs.......Chase Holbrook

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information