Scott, I still don't get your viewpoint on a quarterback for the Falcons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott, I still don't get your viewpoint on a quarterback for the Falcons

First, you posted the blog and stated "Now I'll be the first to tell you that there isn't a quarterback in this draft worthy of a Top 10 pick, let alone a Top 5 pick"..."Are there going to be better players available to the Falcons with that first pick? Absolutely."...and then in your scouting report for Matt Ryan, who you list as your top quarterback, you say "a solid starter at the next level but probably isn't a franchise signal caller."

As a Falcon fan, I 100% agree that we need a quarterback. It might be the most pressing need on the team, with only the offensive line getting some consideration. But to say that we would be stupid to pass on a quarterback at the top of the draft, when you say that that Matt Ryan probably isn't a franchise quarterback just makes no sense. Why would we invest in someone who doesn't have what it takes to be a franchise signal caller? Yeah, I agree, if there was a guy like Peyton Manning in this draft then I wouldn't question for a second the need to draft a quarterback first, but there just isn't a quarterback like that. You can't reach for an undervalued player when you have so many holes, even if it is quarterback.

I see no reason why we shouldn't draft an ELITE talent like McFadden, Long, or Dorsey when they are much safer picks to become Pro Bowlers at their positions. I just don't see why we would take a quarterback who won't be up their with the elites like Brady and Manning with such a high investment when we have so many other holes too. We aren't going to fix this team in one draft, it would be much wiser to wait with a stopgap quarterback and build a suitable team for a rookie to come into.

Originally posted by JDB7821 View Post
    First, you posted the blog and stated "Now I'll be the first to tell you that there isn't a quarterback in this draft worthy of a Top 10 pick, let alone a Top 5 pick"..."Are there going to be better players available to the Falcons with that first pick? Absolutely."...and then in your scouting report for Matt Ryan, who you list as your top quarterback, you say "a solid starter at the next level but probably isn't a franchise signal caller."

As a Falcon fan, I 100% agree that we need a quarterback. It might be the most pressing need on the team, with only the offensive line getting some consideration. But to say that we would be stupid to pass on a quarterback at the top of the draft, when you say that that Matt Ryan probably isn't a franchise quarterback just makes no sense. Why would we invest in someone who doesn't have what it takes to be a franchise signal caller? Yeah, I agree, if there was a guy like Peyton Manning in this draft then I wouldn't question for a second the need to draft a quarterback first, but there just isn't a quarterback like that. You can't reach for an undervalued player when you have so many holes, even if it is quarterback.

I see no reason why we shouldn't draft an ELITE talent like McFadden, Long, or Dorsey when they are much safer picks to become Pro Bowlers at their positions. I just don't see why we would take a quarterback who won't be up their with the elites like Brady and Manning with such a high investment when we have so many other holes too. We aren't going to fix this team in one draft, it would be much wiser to wait with a stopgap quarterback and build a suitable team for a rookie to come into.
    Valid question and i was thinking the same thing. I am under the impression that the falcons desperately need a QB, but i beleive that more than anything they need a new face to their franchise. I think McFadden can be that guy, the guy that can raise the hopes of such a great city and give them something to look forward to. By doing so, they also add the best player in this years draft.

I personally feel that he would be the best choice, but scott is scott for a reason so i'd go with his evaluation on it. If i had to venture a guess i would say that their needs are so desperate at QB that Even though ryan may not be a sure top 10 pick based on talent alone, he is a 10-15 qb and a team that has a great need for a QB could be validated by picking him a bit early. And drafting a player, especially a QB isn't an exact science, so there could be promise with his intangibles that he could end up a franchise qb.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
      Valid question and i was thinking the same thing. I am under the impression that the falcons desperately need a QB, but i beleive that more than anything they need a new face to their franchise. I think McFadden can be that guy, the guy that can raise the hopes of such a great city and give them something to look forward to. By doing so, they also add the best player in this years draft.

I personally feel that he would be the best choice, but scott is scott for a reason so i'd go with his evaluation on it. If i had to venture a guess i would say that their needs are so desperate at QB that Even though ryan may not be a sure top 10 pick based on talent alone, he is a 10-15 qb and a team that has a great need for a QB could be validated by picking him a bit early. And drafting a player, especially a QB isn't an exact science, so there could be promise with his intangibles that he could end up a franchise qb.
      That's the thing though, I don't see that we are "so desperate" that we couldn't grab a veteran guy to hold it down for just one more season. We aren't going to turn this thing around in one offseason and we are going to suck again next year, so why do we absolutely have to find that guy this season when we will be in position next year to grab a quarterback next year too? I don't see why we would pass on a guy like McFadden for Ryan. Warrick Dunn probably has close to the worst YPC for a starting running back in the league and Norwood seems to be only a situational guy. Why wouldn't we do like the Chargers did and draft the elite running back to build around when we could also do like they did and try to find a Brees in the 2nd such as Flacco, Henne, Brennan, etc.? If that 2nd round quarterback works out, then we have an elite guy and a quarterback. If he doesn't, then we don't have the high investment and we can continue our search. If we draft Ryan and he doesn't work out, that sets us back much, much more.

Comment

Originally posted by JDB7821 View Post
        That's the thing though, I don't see that we are "so desperate" that we couldn't grab a veteran guy to hold it down for just one more season. We aren't going to turn this thing around in one offseason and we are going to suck again next year, so why do we absolutely have to find that guy this season when we will be in position next year to grab a quarterback next year too? I don't see why we would pass on a guy like McFadden for Ryan. Warrick Dunn probably has close to the worst YPC for a starting running back in the league and Norwood seems to be only a situational guy. Why wouldn't we do like the Chargers did and draft the elite running back to build around when we could also do like they did and try to find a Brees in the 2nd such as Flacco, Henne, Brennan, etc.? If that 2nd round quarterback works out, then we have an elite guy and a quarterback. If he doesn't, then we don't have the high investment and we can continue our search. If we draft Ryan and he doesn't work out, that sets us back much, much more.

Oh I agree with picking McFadden for the falcons, but i was more trying to give a possible idea of why scott has ryan going their. I'm not a falcons fan so i'm not the best person to say who they should select, but from what i've see happen this year i think McFadden would be a good fit.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

they should trade for Anderson

props to Eaglez. Fan on the sig

Comment

I sort of agree with you. If you are not confident in the best available QB at your pick, you should wait. Waiting 1 year for the right QB is better than wasting 3-4 years developing the wrong one.

Comment

Originally posted by CherryGarcia510 View Post
              they should trade for Anderson
              ew no. unless they want a 4th for Anderson, I wouldn't give anything more than that.

Owner of ScarDraft
              Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report

Comment

Quarterback? They have Matt Schaub.

Oh wait...

Comment

People would be surprised if they saw how our Qbs performed when protected and having receivers make plays. We had like 4 interceptions this year off of drops (all courtasy of Michael Jenkins), which causes misleading stats. We had 10 (Joey Harrington 6, Byron Leftwich 1, Chris Redman 3) games with our quarterback having a passer rating of over 85. Do you know how many 100 yard rush games we had this year? 1. How many times Warrick Dunn had over a 4.0 yard per carry? 3. And one of those games he had 8 carries. How many times we got sacked? 45.

So while I completely agree QB is a huge need, RB and offensive line are equally big. Either Warrick Dunn is really done (I think so, although I love the guy), or our offensive line is just horrible. Which it is because of the sack totals and even a done runningback doesn't average 3.0 yards per carry.

So really I don't see the point in reaching for a 'solid starter' at QB when a 'solid starter' can be had in round 2 and when 'elite talents' such as Darren McFadden and Jake Long can be had at positions of equal need.
                  Virginia Tech.
                  ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

The Falcons might have the worst quarterback situation in the league. Everything starts and ends at the quarterback position and Atlanta needs a guy they can build around both on and off the field. They are not going to wait another year to get the face of their franchise, they are going to bring in their QB of the future this offseason and outside of trading for Derek Anderson the only way to do that is in the draft. And as far as taking one in the 2nd or 3rd round feel free to search for the post I did on that. Basically what I came up with is that in the last 15 years the success rate for QB's taken in round two and three is 3% so that argument doesn't fly. Honestly, right now the only people who don't think Atlanta is going to go quarterback in round one are Falcon fans. Running back is one of the few positions where the Falcons don't need help so even if McFadden was available it doesn't make a lot of sense to give him $30 million guaranteed when guys like Ryan Grant have proven yet again that it's very easy to find top running backs.

EDIT:

Basically my point is this:

Even though Ryan and Brohm might not be legit Top 5 or Top 10 picks it's like if you were dying of thirst. Sure a cold beer would be great but at this point you'll take some warm tap water.
                    Last edited by Scott Wright; 12-30-2007, 12:09 PM.
                    Scott Wright, President
                    Draft Countdown.com
                    www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                    www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

I think Brohm and Ryan are legit top 10 picks and maybe top 5. If someone is going to try and convince me that Chris Long or Jake Long are much higher rated players than the two QBs then have at it.

Comment

It's the same thing as when guys like JaMarcus Russell, Alex Smith, etc got overdrafted. People are obsessed with QBs. So, they rate a half-ass passer over a blue chip lineman. Idiocy runs rampant in NFL scouting circles when it comes to QBs.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
                          Running back is one of the few positions where the Falcons don't need help
                          Proof you have no idea what you are talking about.
                          Virginia Tech.
                          ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
                            EDIT:

Basically my point is this:

Even though Ryan and Brohm might not be legit Top 5 or Top 10 picks it's like if you were dying of thirst. Sure a cold beer would be great but at this point you'll take some warm tap water.
                            I view it much like the 49ers taking Alex Smith #1 overall.

It's the same thing as when guys like JaMarcus Russell, Alex Smith, etc got overdrafted.
                            How can you say Russell was overdrafted when the guy has barely played?
                            The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

The Falcons QB situation is bad. but if it's so bad I think there is a possibility for a starter currently on the team. Chris Redman. he has a 2-1 TD to INT ratio and averaged 59% comp %, 214 yards, 2 TD's and 1 INT per game he had a lot of PT in. over a year thats 59% comp %, 3424 yards, 32 TD's and 16 INT's. that's solid enough for me. in fact that woudl be much better than Vick ever was and I think Redman might actually be a solid NFL player. it's not like he doesn't have the talent. He has enough talent to where next year he will at a minimum compete for the startign job with whoever we draft in any round. and the WR's like catchign his balls.

Owner of ScarDraft
                              Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information