Rey Maualuga

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rey Maualuga

Anybody watching the Rose Bowl? Rey Maualuga is playing a monster game. 3 sacks, an INT, and a ton of tackles. I was told I was insane calling him a top 15 prospect, a guy who can play any LB position in any scheme (including and especially 3-4 OLB), and comparing him slightly to shawne Merriman. Well anyone watching see why I feel that way about him? He still may declare this year even though he originally stated he was staying in school. If he does, he's a certain top 15 pick, and will be the first LB taken.

If he comes out this year I'd call him a lock to go to the Patriots. If he doesn't come out, it will be a HUGE mistake. He'll be a top 7 pick and go to the Patriots, what more could he ask for? If he stays, his stock doesn't have a whole lot of room to move up and chances are he'd wind up on a losing team.

Anyone whose watching the Rose Bowl...Can you see why I say he's a great 3-4 OLB prospect? Can you see the Shawne Merriman comparison?

I see a ILB.

But I think steroids might be an issue. Just a hunch.

Great player though.
    Virginia Tech.
    ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

I dont see him playing olb in any defense, he's always played inside. I dont know if he gets the kind of pass drops in cover 2 that you would like but he can get to the ball and hit people. Try not to overreact to 2 quarters of football.

Comment

Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
        I see a ILB.

But I think steroids might be an issue. Just a hunch.

Great player though.
        I think ur right, I mean the guy beched around 400 in highschool.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
        02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
        02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
        02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
        Originally posted by fenikz
        we all hate you

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
          I dont see him playing olb in any defense, he's always played inside. I dont know if he gets the kind of pass drops in cover 2 that you would like but he can get to the ball and hit people. Try not to overreact to 2 quarters of football.
          you dont need to see much of a player to see what kind of talent he has

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
            These have been my feeling on him for a long time. I just know there are an aweful lot of people watching him today. What he's doing in this game isn't a first for him. 3-4 OLB's are pass rushers first and foremost, it's apparent he a very good pass rusher. He'd be a 15+sack per season guy as a 3-4 OLB.

Comment

In watching this game I can't help but think how good he would look in Bengal stripes.

Seems like he plays so well on his instincts and obviously he's just a monster.

Comment

Originally posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
                In watching this game I can't help but think how good he would look in Bengal stripes.

If the Patriots passed on him the Bengals would grab him in a heartbeat. In my last mock and most of my mocks I have the Bengals taking Keith Rivers.

Comment

yeah theres something to be said for the skills people posses that you cant see on paper...

instincts, good football knowledge, tenacity, and having a high motor can compensate for having lackluster speed,strength and build

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig

Comment

Can someone give a quick list of his strengths/weaknesses... Don't watch nearly enough college football so I don't want to base wanting him off of this one game haha

He just seems to have "it".

Comment

Rey's a solid prospect, but he's more of an interior backer. We'll have to wait and see on the athleticism, but I'm not sold it's there for him to move to the edge and be compared to a Merriman. He's a tough, instinctive player, but if he comes out, I tend to still think he's a mid-1st - early 2nd type pick unless all the rumors on his potential numbers are off.

As for the Bengals, I don't see Rey. With Ahmad Brooks coming back, I don't see the fit. In Laurinaitis' case, you can slide him to WLB or SLB and be fine. I'm not certain you could do that with Rey.

Comment

He looks darn good. He also looks like he is almost 270 lbs. He carries it well, but he lacks elite closing speed. That being said he hits like a dump truck. If he comes out, he goes 1st round.

Comment

Can someone give a quick list of his strengths/weaknesses... Don't watch nearly enough college football so I don't want to base wanting him off of this one game haha

He just seems to have "it".
                          His two major weaknesses scouts point out is his over-aggression, and he could use some work in pass coverage. Both are very coachable. I'd rather have to settle a guy down a little than have to wind a guy up.

He is extememly strong, his speed is great for a LB (especially one that weighs 260 or so). As you can see his instincts, high motor, and tenacity are among his best attributes. Also like I mentioned in the original post, I think he could play an LB position in any scheme. One more possibily I'll throw out there...Cover 2 DE? He has the size.

Comment

Originally posted by mikehop05 View Post
                            you dont need to see much of a player to see what kind of talent he has
                            Maybe you dont but scouts usually like to scout a guy for more than a half of football, of course they dont have your talent:)

Comment

Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
                              Rey's a solid prospect, but he's more of an interior backer. We'll have to wait and see on the athleticism, but I'm not sold it's there for him to move to the edge and be compared to a Merriman. He's a tough, instinctive player, but if he comes out, I tend to still think he's a mid-1st - early 2nd type pick unless all the rumors on his potential numbers are off.

As for the Bengals, I don't see Rey. With Ahmad Brooks coming back, I don't see the fit. In Laurinaitis' case, you can slide him to WLB or SLB and be fine. I'm not certain you could do that with Rey.
                              No way he makes it out of the top 10, I guarantee. I'm also almost certain he'll wind up declaring this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information