No announcement yet.

Darren McFadden is good, but overrated.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darren McFadden is good, but overrated.

When I say 'overrated' I mean I don't think he's the easy #1 rated prospect, franchise changing player that so many seem to think he is. I have little doubt that he can be a very good NFL back, but that doesn't mean he should be the consensus #1 prospect in the draft. Here are the reasons I think he's overrated.

Reason 1: He's played in a RB friendly offense at Arkansas. He's not even the only productive back on his own team. Every single one of Arkansas' top 5 rushers averaged well over 5ypc this season. 4 of thier lineman were named All SEC by the coaches. Rivals.com named 2 of thier O-lineman All Americans. Arkansas has become an O-line factory in recent years with guys like Jason Peters, Shawn Andrews and Tony Ugoh doing very well in the NFL.

Reason 2: He reminds me a little of Reggie Bush in that he's had a lot of big holes to run through and uses his elite speed to outrun LB's and DB's. Getting into the open field won't happen as much in the pros. I'm not convinced he's all that special when he has to grind out yards between the tackles.

Reason 3: His minor off field issues should not be simply ignored. He hurt himself in a bar fight and is being linked to an agent. Where there's smoke there might just be fire.

I actually agree...Today was the first that I sat down and watched him specifically, and I didn't think his vision was that great...He's got great explosiveness, no doubt, but isn't quite on Adrian Peterson's level

sig by BoneKrusher

Originally posted by BuckNaked
    Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.

Comment

To me, there are very few RB prospects worth taking in the top 10 picks of a draft. Ignoring his injury concerns, Adrian Peterson was one of them. Darren McFadden is right on the cusp

Comment

Agreed. He isn't as good as his hype would indicate.

Comment

When you run like that in the SEC your good, sure he has a great line, but alot of the time OLine won't get pub unless they are blocking for a high-quality back like DMC or Felix.

When you consider what he and Felix have done in the best conference in football with probally one of the worst passing attacks around its quite impressive.

He isn't on the same level as AD, but we probally won't see another prospect like him for another decade.

Comparing him to Bush is ludacris, Bush had about 4-5 other skills to take the pressure off him and ensure he wasn't the featured guy every play by the D.

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
            Reason 1: He's played in a RB friendly offense at Arkansas. He's not even the only productive back on his own team. Every single one of Arkansas' top 5 rushers averaged well over 5ypc this season. 4 of thier lineman were named All SEC by the coaches. Rivals.com named 2 of thier O-lineman All Americans. Arkansas has become an O-line factory in recent years with guys like Jason Peters, Shawn Andrews and Tony Ugoh doing very well in the NFL.
            He also runs entirely against 8-9 man fronts.

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Comment

Originally posted by energizerbunny View Post
              When you run like that in the SEC your good, sure he has a great line, but alot of the time OLine won't get pub unless they are blocking for a high-quality back like DMC or Felix.

Very true and often overlooked.
              Virginia Tech.
              ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

The SEC is not the NFL. If it was, Rex Grossman would be a Pro Bowler.

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                  The SEC is not the NFL. If it was, Rex Grossman would be a Pro Bowler.
                  that made me laugh!
                  my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                  <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                  <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                  <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                  Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                  What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

While McFadden is the best RB(by Default imo, the RB class sucks out loud. I have always thought he was overrated as hell. He will be nothing but average imo. Why? Arkansas zone Block makes him look far greater then he is, McFadden never has to work to get to the line of scrimmage, it is a given that he will have giant ass holes, and With McFaddens ability he makes the best of them giant ass holes on every play, but when he dosn't have giant holes to run through, like what he will see in the NFL, he struggles and making anything happen.

Comment

McFadden is a great player, but I definitely do not think he is as good as Adrian Peterson was. It is nearly impossible for a RB to justify a top-5 selection. To do so you need to be a hall of fame caliber player, and more often than not you can get a good back later in the draft. I think the teams that take Rashard Mendenhall and Jonathan Stewart in the mid-1st will end up with better value than the team who takes McFadden in the top-5.
                      Last edited by Shiver; 01-02-2008, 05:55 PM.

Comment

I think McFadden is an amazing player and most certainly not overrated. The man can fly. He can run to the inside unlike Bush, and hits the holes. He won't barrel you Adrian Peterson style, but he can lay a good stiff arm when he needs to. I think he is more then worthy of a top 5 pick.

Comment

IMO, If Jonathan Stewart comes out he's the best RB.

Comment

Originally posted by adschofield View Post
                            I actually agree...Today was the first that I sat down and watched him specifically, and I didn't think his vision was that great...He's got great explosiveness, no doubt, but isn't quite on Adrian Peterson's level

Yes...so let's base our opinion on the one game you saw him play in over his career.

Comment

Overrated, because most running backs not named Adrian Peterson in the top 5 are.

I would try to get one of those freak LT's, DT's or DE's with a top 5 pick, despite the probability of busting, games are won and lost on the line.

There are always good backs with less than ideal measurables in rounds 2-Undrafted:
                              Frank Gore, Brian Westbrook, Willie Parker, Clinton Portis, Lendale White, Justin Fargas, Brandon Jacobs, Marion Barber, Ryan Grant, Earnest Graham, Travis Henry, Rudi Johnson....

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information