Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jake Long Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jake Long Question

    What I don't understand is that most of people's mocks have him going to the Rams at number two to replace Orlando Pace at Left Tackle and move Baron back to the right side. Jake Long is a Right Tackle. Some one please explain.

    Michael "Franchise" Young QB Akron Zepplins #10
    164/281, 58.4% 1956 yards, 10 TD/8 INT
    50 rushes, 321 yards, 4 TD, 6.4 YPC
    Record: 7-3

  • #2
    In theory, Long is seen as a better LT prospect then Barron.... even though Barron is currently playing there. Its debatable but I really don't see the rams going that direction anyway.


    Long's stock is currently probaly a little higher than it will be around draft time, as teams will try to really figure him out here in the next couple of months.

    He isn't quite the prospect Joe Thomas was, but very few are.

    I see him as a mix between Jon Runyan and Jon Tait......

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm not sold on taking a Tackle high they tend to be either great or a bust, Great- Orlando Pace, Joe Thomas... Bust- D'brick, Gallery

      im a jets fan and i really really hope they dont take him if he falls to them which is why im kinda glad in a way we beat KC so hes not likely to drop to us...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by WildDude View Post
        I'm not sold on taking a Tackle high they tend to be either great or a bust, Great- Orlando Pace, Joe Thomas... Bust- D'brick, Gallery

        im a jets fan and i really really hope they dont take him if he falls to them which is why im kinda glad in a way we beat KC so hes not likely to drop to us...
        I wouldn't say Brick is a bust.

        Michael "Franchise" Young QB Akron Zepplins #10
        164/281, 58.4% 1956 yards, 10 TD/8 INT
        50 rushes, 321 yards, 4 TD, 6.4 YPC
        Record: 7-3

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by WildDude View Post
          I'm not sold on taking a Tackle high they tend to be either great or a bust, Great- Orlando Pace, Joe Thomas... Bust- D'brick, Gallery

          im a jets fan and i really really hope they dont take him if he falls to them which is why im kinda glad in a way we beat KC so hes not likely to drop to us...
          This isn't a great draft to begin with so selecting further down really doesn't matter as much as it would in most years... the jets will get a similar talent now that they would have at 3, only at a much reduced price.


          I wouldn't say D'Brick is a bust but I don't think his ceiling is as high as many around here had it pegged.
          He is never going to be a great run blocker or pass blocker and he probally will never be able to hold the mass to become one, but he can be a servicable LT in this league.



          Of course you could say drafting OTs high is always a risk but you can say that for any position. For every Orlando Pace there is a Tony Mandarich, for every Tony Boselli there is a Mike Williams.

          The risk/reward is worth it though, if you pick right your QB basically doesn't have to worry about who is going to hit him in the back for a decade. That kind of security will make any QB better, as well as opening huge holes for RBs.

          Comment


          • #6
            Jake Long looked great against Florida.
            Virginia Tech.
            ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

            Next Up: 2012

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
              Jake Long looked great against Florida.
              I'm not saying he didn't. I'm just saying that if Jake Long is a Right Tackle why would the Rams draft him to replace Pace.

              Michael "Franchise" Young QB Akron Zepplins #10
              164/281, 58.4% 1956 yards, 10 TD/8 INT
              50 rushes, 321 yards, 4 TD, 6.4 YPC
              Record: 7-3

              Comment


              • #8
                Eh, I think he could line up on the left. He isn't as bad an athlete as given credit for. He moved pretty well and can usually get a hand on someone on the jet or edge rush. And on inside moves he will dominate you.
                Virginia Tech.
                ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

                Next Up: 2012

                Comment


                • #9
                  While Long certainly looks the part of the bruising right tackle, I don't think he's done anything this year to make anyone think he cannot play left tackle at the next level. He might not be a great pass blocker and he might occasionally struggle with speed rushers, but I don't think he is incapable of protecting a quarterback's blindside.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                    While Long certainly looks the part of the bruising right tackle, I don't think he's done anything this year to make anyone think he cannot play left tackle at the next level. He might not be a great pass blocker and he might occasionally struggle with speed rushers, but I don't think he is incapable of protecting a quarterback's blindside.


                    Whereever he plays in the nfl, he'll be there for 10 years. Elite RT or Good/solid LT, he brings almost everything to the table that you want in a tackle. Michigan breeds NFL olineman, he is just another stud, He is a much better prospect then Backus was.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DWilliams2IndyColts View Post
                      What I don't understand is that most of people's mocks have him going to the Rams at number two to replace Orlando Pace at Left Tackle and move Baron back to the right side. Jake Long is a Right Tackle. Some one please explain.

                      good question. as a rams fan i've been wondering the same thing. what's funny is barron actually played better on the left when he moved over to cover for pace. if it turns out pace won't heal - which we have no indication of at this point - i would think barron would move permanently to the left . . .
                      and then the would need a right tackle - but : brandon gorin did pretty well in relief of barron - is he a long term answer, don't know. as far as j.long to the rams, i just don't see spending #2 on a rt.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DWilliams2IndyColts View Post
                        What I don't understand is that most of people's mocks have him going to the Rams at number two to replace Orlando Pace at Left Tackle and move Baron back to the right side. Jake Long is a Right Tackle. Some one please explain.
                        To put it in laments terms, Jake Long is a Left Tackle



                        sig by BoneKrusher

                        Originally posted by BuckNaked
                        Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by adschofield View Post
                          To put it in laments terms, Jake Long is a Left Tackle
                          I'm saying I would like him better at RT.

                          Michael "Franchise" Young QB Akron Zepplins #10
                          164/281, 58.4% 1956 yards, 10 TD/8 INT
                          50 rushes, 321 yards, 4 TD, 6.4 YPC
                          Record: 7-3

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DWilliams2IndyColts View Post
                            I'm saying I would like him better at RT.
                            The Rams could probably use him at both. If Pace is healthy then Long can play RT but at least they can be somewhat comfortable in knowing they have a better option than Barron for LT in case Pace goes down.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by sodar21 View Post
                              The Rams could probably use him at both. If Pace is healthy then Long can play RT but at least they can be somewhat comfortable in knowing they have a better option than Barron for LT in case Pace goes down.
                              No they wouldn't. Barron makes some bonehead mistakes sometimes with the snap count (better this year), but he's look pretty good at LT this year.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information