Will Rams take the other Long?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Rams take the other Long?

Seems to me like they have bigger problems on their DL to take Jake Long. Seems like Chris Long is the better option. Leonard Little is 33 and their first round pick last year, Carriker, got hurt. Seems like with the return of Orlando Pace next season, they could get a DE instead of an OT.

JUST DRAFT A QB DAMNIT!!!

Wonder why a KC fan would think that.....

Comment

The Rams take Gholston or Chris Long, IMO.

I doubt they'll take a guy who doesn't even really project to be a LT in the NFL at #2 overall.

Comment

With the 2nd pick in the NFL Draft the St. Louis Rams select Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State.

Or Chris Long DE, Virginia.

Jake Long won't even be an option.

Not only do they like Carriker at UT, Little is 33-34, coming off an injury, and has about a $7 million roster bonus due in March.

The other starter James Hall produced 2.5 sacks for the $3 million salary got and is in danger of being a cap cut if he doesn't take a paycut (And 2 of his sacks were against Ogden's backup when the Rams were blitzing and whomever plays LT for the 49ers).

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Killer View Post
          With the 2nd pick in the NFL Draft the St. Louis Rams select Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State.

Or Chris Long DE, Virginia.

Jake Long won't even be an option.

Not only do they like Carriker at UT, Little is 33-34, coming off an injury, and has about a $7 million roster bonus due in March.

The other starter James Hall produced 2.5 sacks for the $3 million salary got and is in danger of being a cap cut if he doesn't take a paycut (And 2 of his sacks were against Ogden's backup when the Rams were blitzing and whomever plays LT for the 49ers).
          Since I believe Miami will take Gholston before either Dorsey or Chris Long, I think you'll see Dorsey in a Ram's uniform next year.
          And proud of it!!!

Comment

I'm skeptic about St.Louis taking J.Long over C.Long or Dorsey. Where would Jake play until Pace retires? Barron is their future left tackle, they can get a future right tackle elsewhere. Chris Long playing with Carriker and Leonard LIttle would be a good thing for STL.

Comment

Being in STL, we have already beat this topic to death and we havent even reach the day to declare.

So yea, it going to be a long draft season in STL, so many problems, a lame duck head coach, a team on the verge of being sold, a front office with no football GM and a President who lives on the other side of the country and is only doing the job b/c his friend asked him to.

Its a mess and the Rams draft like that too...a mess

In the end trading down and picking up a 2nd or 3rd rounder makes the most sense considering the needs, but the Rams arent that smart...so they will stand pat and pick at #2

If Chris Long is there....he will be a Ram...that is what you hear out of the Rams beat writers who at Rams Park all the time (i.e. Jim Thomas).

Jake Long is a fine player, but Pace is only 32, Barron besides not being able to count and remember the snap is a decent NFL RT.

So with dire needs at DE, MLB, SS, WR and Center.....taking a 3rd tackle at #2 would be like putting 2,000 rims on a Yugo.

Rams are also moving to 3-4 in 2008....so keep that in mind with your selections.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                Since I believe Miami will take Gholston before either Dorsey or Chris Long, I think you'll see Dorsey in a Ram's uniform next year.
                gholstons possible but i see chris long as a bill parcells kind of guy...

anyway, i agree that the rams probably wont take jake long unless orlando pace were to retire or something....

with a healthy pace at LT and a healthy alex barron at RT, theres simply no where for long to get in and play right away. and they're a team with too many needs to take a guy whos going to be benched

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                  Dorsey? The Rams just took a UT in the 1st round last year.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by etk View Post
                    Dorsey? The Rams just took a UT in the 1st round last year.
                    http://bellevillenewsdemocrat.typepad.com/ramblings/
                    DT-DE Adam Carriker, first round:
                    Carriker started out at nose tackle, but ended up playing every position on the defensive line. Rams coach Scott Linehan noted that Carrikerís best future position is the three-technique DT, though itís likely that the Rams will continue to move him around to take advantage of his versatility. Carriker had some ups and downs this season, but he looks like the real deal. He should quickly develop into a solid player. Having played mostly at DE in college, heís still learning the nuances of playing DT. Heís also learning how to fully utilize his strength and leverage.
                    Yeah, unless they move Carriker, Dorsey will only see Rams Park from the visiting locker room.

With the 2nd pick in the NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams select................Vernon Gholston, DE, OSU.

Comment

Miami, unless they can trade, will go either Long IMHO but more likely Chris. Dorsey No, McFadden no.

Chris IMHO if he shows bulk that Parcells wants in a DE can play two-gap and pass rush, rather special skills for a guy so young and something Miami is sorely lacking. How many other impact 3-4 DE are there in this draft? Zip. How many LT, a few.

The Miami OL in addition was not as bad as the D in Miami. So why go OT when there are plenty later in the draft. Essentially at 32 Miami can get a franchise caliber LT or kick butt RT.

So, if the Rams want Jake, I think he will be there. Don't think Chris is there unless Miami trades (which is possible).

But ? to Rams fans -- why go either Long at #2? You need LB and CB help. You need Tackles. Let someone else grab a Long or a McFadden or a Dorsey. Trade and use the extra picks at LB or CB or WR.

I think the 2-4 picks are just as valuable trade bait as the #1 this since there is no consensus QB at the #1.
                      Last edited by kingjames; 01-04-2008, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjames View Post
                        But ? to Rams fans -- why go either Long at #2? You need LB and CB help. You need Tackles. Let someone else grab a Long or a McFadden or a Dorsey. Trade and use the extra picks at LB or CB or WR.
                        CB isn't really a need for the Rams, not a high priority one at the very least. They could use a SLB.

DE is the primary need for St. Louis. The Rams are guaranteed at #2 overall to have a shot at either Vernon Gholston or Chris Long, and I think one of them will be the pick.

Comment

Originally posted by picklefork View Post
                          Being in STL, we have already beat this topic to death and we havent even reach the day to declare.

So yea, it going to be a long draft season in STL, so many problems, a lame duck head coach, a team on the verge of being sold, a front office with no football GM and a President who lives on the other side of the country and is only doing the job b/c his friend asked him to.

Its a mess and the Rams draft like that too...a mess

In the end trading down and picking up a 2nd or 3rd rounder makes the most sense considering the needs, but the Rams arent that smart...so they will stand pat and pick at #2

If Chris Long is there....he will be a Ram...that is what you hear out of the Rams beat writers who at Rams Park all the time (i.e. Jim Thomas).

Jake Long is a fine player, but Pace is only 32, Barron besides not being able to count and remember the snap is a decent NFL RT.

So with dire needs at DE, MLB, SS, WR and Center.....taking a 3rd tackle at #2 would be like putting 2,000 rims on a Yugo.

Rams are also moving to 3-4 in 2008....so keep that in mind with your selections.
                          Sums it up pretty well, but I don't think a move to the 3-4 as a base defense has been confirmed for 2008.

Comment

Nah the Rams need to take Jake Long with their pick. Orlando Pace is nearing the end of his career and they were decimated on OL this year. They already drafted a DL high last year in Adam Carriker. If they were for some reason to go DL it should be Glenn Dorsey instead if he was there.
                            INDIANAPOLIS COLTS - A CHANGE IS COMING!

Comment

Originally posted by indyfan1985 View Post
                              Nah the Rams need to take Jake Long with their pick. Orlando Pace is nearing the end of his career and they were decimated on OL this year.
                              Why would they "need" to take Jake Long, though? They can get better value at OT later.

It might be a different story if Jake Long was an elite left tackle prospect.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information