Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gil Brandt says Dorsey could fall out of top 5 because of knees

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/200...-draft-status/

I for one, won't be shocked if he falls out of the top 5 just like Peterson did because of the injury. In a perfect world, GM's wouldn't have to worry about injury concerns like a lot of draftniks think it is unimportant, but in the real world when you are giving out 60 million dollars to a top 3 pick of which 30+ million is guaranteed, most GM's will pass on a top 5 guy who isn't able to pass his physical with a complete clean bill of health. They are looking for a top 5 talent who has no lingering doubts in their mind about their health.
    Just because he looked good in the NCG doesn't mean his knee is completely sound. The doctors are going to have a lot of say in where Dorsey is drafted.
    Anybody who thinks an injury history shouldn't impact where a player is drafted, simply doesn't understand the impact of a top 5 pick going sour. The impact of having to carry a player at top money who cannot play, can destroy your team's chances for 4 or 5 years to be competitive. You also have to factor in that unlike draftniks, GM's can be fired and their careers destroyed if they draft a player who the doctors say isn't completely healthy and the owner is stuck paying him 30+ million dollars for zero in return.
    Once you get past the top 5 picks, the financial consequences diminish considerably and that is why Peterson went #6.
    Unfortunately, many draftniks don't live in the real world, they live in the Madden world where career ending injuries aren't a concern.
    And proud of it!!!

Great post, and I have to agree with you. It's simply to big of a risk to draft a player in the top 5 if there are serious questions about his health. Hopefully Dorsey will be able to pass is physical though and go on to have a great NFL career :)

Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Comment

It will be interesting. I was watching some College media types on ESPNews the other day who wondered if he could stay healthy as a pro. The Indy Combine will answer most of those questions. He'll be under the spotlight by scouts and Doctors.

I still can't believe the cash outlay for these Top 10 picks. That's not right.

Comment

If he falls out of the top 5 maybe the Saints can make the move to have him stay in Louisiana ;)

Comment

He shouldn't fall, AP proved to everyone in the top 5 that he was fine and should have been drafted ahead. I doubt he falls.

Comment

Teams might have made a mistake on Adrian Peterson, but he and Dorsey are two different players with two different injuries. I'm not a doctor, but I think knee injuries are pretty complex?

Comment

Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
              He shouldn't fall, AP proved to everyone in the top 5 that he was fine and should have been drafted ahead. I doubt he falls.
              Peterson wasn't healthy all year and it cost Minny in the playoffs. Besides, the jury is still out on whether or not Peterson will remain healthy for most of his career. One season doesn't make a career.
              And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
                Well thats two different sets of knees we're talking about here.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                  Peterson wasn't healthy all year and it cost Minny in the playoffs. Besides, the jury is still out on whether or not Peterson will remain healthy for most of his career. One season doesn't make a career.
                  The Vikings were 2-0 when Peterson didn't play and 3-2 after he returned from injury. How exactly did Peterson's health cost the Vikings the playoffs?

Comment

if he fell to Atlanta, I'm sure we would take him unless J.Long or McFadden were there. he's my #3 player and would be a great NT next to Babineaux and Coleman and would rotate with Trey Lewis at NT (Dorsey 65% Lewis 35% of the snaps).

Owner of ScarDraft
                    Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report

Comment

If Dorsey falls any chance a team tries to trade up for him? What pick would teams start making calls to see what it would cost to get him?

Comment

New Orleans :)

Comment

Exactly the reason he won't be the Phins pick at number one, which is why Gholston will be.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

Comment

he'll look awfully good as a Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Patriots-Lions View Post
                              The Vikings were 2-0 when Peterson didn't play and 3-2 after he returned from injury. How exactly did Peterson's health cost the Vikings the playoffs?
                              Exactly, and no offense to you P-L, but Peterson looked awfully good juking the Lions defense out of their shoes that first weekend in December. I don't think his knee had anything to do with the Vikings not making the playoffs.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information