Chris Long

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Long

What are the chances that Chris Long can possibly make a transition to a monsterous 3-4 strong side linebacker ala adalious thomas or Greg Ellis instead of a base end in a 4-3 or gaining weight to be a 3-4 end ?

Originally posted by NJ_J_Witt_fan View Post
    What are the chances that Chris Long can possibly make a transition to a monsterous 3-4 strong side linebacker ala adalious thomas or Greg Ellis instead of a base end in a 4-3 or gaining weight to be a 3-4 end ?
    That's what Al Groh has been pushing and I personally feel that he could make a flawless transition. I think this way not just because of his unbelievable physical tools, but his work ethic that seems to be second to none. I am going to weight to see his 3 cone drill, but it seems as though he has been playing around 265ish and has looked extremely fast when i've watched him play. I havn't ever seen him in coverage so I can't really speak to that, but i can say he plays the run very well, sheds blockers very well and can get after the QB. He has a nonstop motor that will create havoc for the QB even if he's not racking up all the sacks. I am extremely excited to see him at the combine, because if he puts up the numbers I think he's capable of I can see him going #1 overall.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
      That's what Al Groh has been pushing and I personally feel that he could make a flawless transition. I think this way not just because of his unbelievable physical tools, but his work ethic that seems to be second to none. I am going to weight to see his 3 cone drill, but it seems as though he has been playing around 265ish and has looked extremely fast when i've watched him play. I havn't ever seen him in coverage so I can't really speak to that, but i can say he plays the run very well, sheds blockers very well and can get after the QB. He has a nonstop motor that will create havoc for the QB even if he's not racking up all the sacks. I am extremely excited to see him at the combine, because if he puts up the numbers I think he's capable of I can see him going #1 overall.
      I wouldn't doubt it..... Parcells luvs his pass rushing OLB

If the dolphins take a shot on him and he works out, all the sudden Miami's pass rush looks kinda scary with Jason Taylor and himself rushing off the ends, especially disguised in a 3-4 where u can't always tell who is coming and who is dropping into coverage.

Comment

I don't think Long will have much of a problem transitioning to a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 DE. Ironically, he may have the hardest times continuing to play the 3-4 DE. I don't think he can gain much more weight and I think Howie, Chris and Al Groh all expect him to be a 3-4 OLB in the NFL.
        The A-Man
        -- Die Hard Virginia Fan --

Comment

I think trying to move Long to OLB would be foolish. Kid's a DE, not some tweener. He doesn't have the elite speed that you'd want coming off the edge from a standing position.

For his sake, I hope that doesn't ha[[en to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Killuminati View Post
            I think trying to move Long to OLB would be foolish. Kid's a DE, not some tweener. He doesn't have the elite speed that you'd want coming off the edge from a standing position.

I agree. Obviously he could transition but i think a better fit for a 4-3 end and sometimes tackle. Not that many teams running 3-4 anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Killuminati View Post

Being an effective LOLB in a 3-4 has nothing to do with speed. I say left because that is the side your primarily pass-rushing OLB plays in the 3-4. It has more to do with your burst off the line(quickness) and your technique.....less to do with straight line speed. DeMarcus Ware, Shawn Merriman, Adaulis Thomas are what you envision when you put Long at that spot. And all those guys are of similar build and weight. Long fits that mold. None of these guys are running 4.5 40 times, but their initial burst off the line, their strength, and their technique makes them the best of the best when it comes to OLBs in the 3-4. Long has lined up all over the field in UVA's 3-4 defensive packages.....LOLB, LILB, RILB, ROLB, RDE, LDE, even NT, and has rush the passer effectively from all spots. I actually think having him rush the passer standing up would make him that much more effective in the pros. Having watch Long his entire college career, I have no doubt that would be the best way to use him. He could have a Merriman/Ware type of impact his first year. I think he could also play 4-3 DE as well and still do great job. But his athleticism and motor would just wreak havoc as a LOLB in a 3-4.

Comment

Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
                He's reported to run in the late 4.7's or early 4.8's, if so I doubt he translates well to OLB in a 3-4. You still have to be able to drop into pass coverage and even cover a RB or TE one on one. If he manages a very low 4.7 or even a high 4.6, then maybe he can make the switch. I think he gets drafted by a 4-3 team to play DE where his pass rush skills can be better utilized.
                If Miami doesn't trade the pick, they will indeed be looking for someone to play OLB in the draft but I think they take Gholston over Chris.
                And proud of it!!!

Comment

I think he is most to be a normal DE in a 4-3.

Thanks to darnik44two for the sig

Dream Pats Draft:
                  1. Vernon Gholston, LB, tOSU
                  2. Adarious Bowman, WR, Ok St
                  3a. Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa
                  3b. Kevin Smith, RB, UCF
                  4. Peyton Hillis, RB, Ark
                  5. Jermichael Finley, TE, Texas
                  6. Brian Witherspoon, CB, Stillman
                  7. Pierre Garcon, WR, Mt Union

Comment

I dont see a 3-4 DE in him personally at least until I see his weight and all, along with how he is in mobile.

Personally I think he is getting over-rated because of whose son he is.

Comment

While I do agree that the birthright is definitely helping him, I also believe it's a legitimate positive. You'd expect him to have a good attitude/work ethic considering he's Howie's son.

Comment

Originally posted by Finsfan79 View Post
                        I dont see a 3-4 DE in him personally at least until I see his weight and all, along with how he is in mobile.

Personally I think he is getting over-rated because of whose son he is.
                        I completely disagree with his rep because of his father. I have always been cautious about speaking too highly of Long because I'm a Virginia fan, but watching him play this year is the reason he is hyped not his father. If you watch him in any game this season he always makes impact plays. He constantly garners double and triple teams and he has great technique. I wouldn't consider him a #1 pick in the draft, but he could go there because of need. Bottom line, he is a great talent regardless of his father.
                        The A-Man
                        -- Die Hard Virginia Fan --

Comment

I don't disagree that Chris Long is a tad overrated, but for the most part, whoever goes early is, to an extent, overrated. I mean, the difference between the number 1 guy and the number 2 guy at QB/RB/OT/DE/3-4OLB/DT/CB isn't by much, and yet, you could still see significant differences in where guys get picked, and to that extent, you have an overrated player.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                            He's reported to run in the late 4.7's or early 4.8's, if so I doubt he translates well to OLB in a 3-4. You still have to be able to drop into pass coverage and even cover a RB or TE one on one. If he manages a very low 4.7 or even a high 4.6, then maybe he can make the switch. I think he gets drafted by a 4-3 team to play DE where his pass rush skills can be better utilized.
                            If Miami doesn't trade the pick, they will indeed be looking for someone to play OLB in the draft but I think they take Gholston over Chris.
                            theres plenty of 3-4 olbs that run in the 4.7s....long would also be a mammoth outside and the position is more about quickness and burst, which long has, more than straight speed in the forty..seriously how often does an olb in the 3-4 run more than say 10-15 yards...they NEVER run 40 unless there is a completely broken play or something.

Comment

Terrell Suggs had a 4.7-4.8 40 time... how'd that work out?

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information