Rivers 3-4 ILB??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivers 3-4 ILB??

Could Keith Rivers be a great ILB in the 3-4??? The Jets are privately working him out, so It got me thinking, maybe he would be our 1st round selection, hes the top LB in this draft, and we now have a hole at ILB with Vilma gone. Would Rivers be a good ILB to pair up with David Harris??

Yes.

He's got the size and ability to shed blocks that you look foor in a 3-4 ILB. It would probably help if he gained 5-10lbs because ILB's need to be big. Because of his speed, Rivers would play MIKE(weakside ILB) and Harris would play MAC(strongside ILB)

Comment

I agree, Yes.

Rivers is going #6 or #7. IMO the Jets take DRC at #6 and the Pats take Rivers at #7. I personally don't see why the Jets would need to draft Rivers. The Jets already have their starting LB core IMO in Thomas & Pace (outside) and Harris and whomever they choose from Barton, Kassell, Hobson (inside). I don't see why the Jets would want to add another ISLB.

The Pats however could really use Rivers.
      INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: SUPER BOWL XLI CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Originally posted by IndyColtScout View Post
        I agree, Yes.

Rivers is going #6 or #7. IMO the Jets take DRC at #6 and the Pats take Rivers at #7. I personally don't see why the Jets would need to draft Rivers. The Jets already have their starting LB core IMO in Thomas & Pace (outside) and Harris and whomever they choose from Barton, Kassell, Hobson (inside). I don't see why the Jets would want to add another ISLB.

The Pats however could really use Rivers.
        Hobson is a UFA, and is not coming back. And Kassell is mainly a back up/ ST player, he isn't capable of starting. Barton is a pretty good player, but is 30, so the need for depth is there. I agree that is early to take a ILB, probably should get a guy later, especially already having a stud in David Harris. But I'm just looking at possibilties. I can see Rivers on the Pats. They need a CB really badly though, but they will probably sign Ty Law, that can buy them time I guess to take a CB later.

Comment

what are you guys talkin about? theres no way in hell Rivers is a 3-4 ILB.

Comment

Why is there no way in hell? Rivers can get off blocks, he eats space, he's got speed, and his frame has room to add weight.

Not saying he's a perfect fit, but for a team like NE that runs a hybrid D, he would be perfect.
            INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: SUPER BOWL XLI CHAMPIONS!

Comment

I think he could be.

I don't know if that would be his best position, but I think he could fit into a 34 defense.

Comment

I'm more inclined to agree with BBD. But while he isn't a good fit, he probably could play it. Just would waste a lot of his abilities. It would be a waste of a pick at the 10-15 range if that were the intentions of use. It's the same reason Miami won't be picking up Dorsey, he doesn't fit in the 34. He could do it, just would be a waste.
                Last edited by terribletowel39; 03-18-2008, 01:29 PM.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig

Comment

rivers can't shed blocks
                  my quick smells like french toast

Comment

Could he do it? Yes. However, it is probably the least ideal position for the guy, and he's definitely not a good enough fit to be worth a top 10 pick (if a 3-4 ILB ever is worth such a pick).

I'm fairly sure whoever drafts him will use him as a 4-3 OLB.

Comment

Originally posted by terribletowel39 View Post
                      I'm more inclined to agree with BBD. But while he isn't a good fit, he probably could play it. Just would waste a lot of his abilities. It would be a waste of a pick at the 10-15 range if that were the intentions of use. It's the same reason Miami won't be picking up Dorsey, he doesn't fit in the 34. He could do it, just would be a waste.
                      yeah thats how i feel about it, although i think he'd be a below avg ILB in the 3-4.

hes a star 4-3 WILL, thats what he'll play.

Comment

in a 3-4 he would have to have a role like Donnie Edwards did when he played on the Chargers under Wade Phillips.

Comment

it makes no sense to put him there its a waste of his talents. Rivers has trouble at the POA, that has always been one of the knocks on him. Hes a star will. why mess with that. If it aint broken, dont fix it.

even if he did play in a 3-4, it would not be in one like bill bilichek or mangini run. If you recall, guyslike vraebel and thomas (both 270 lbs) have played ILB for bill, and then bruschi and seau are not small guys either. Rivers just doesnt fit the system. ANd mangini just traded his star LB, vilma, to the saints because he didnt fit his system. Hmmm, a slightly undersized LB with excellent speed but who struggles at teh POA...sounds familiar?
                          Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                          The APS is strong in this one.
                          Originally posted by killxswitch
                          Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Really a side note, but I can see Tampa 2 teams consider Rivers for the MIKE position.

Can he play 3-4 ILB? Sure. I can see him developing as he matures and becoming perhaps James Farrior like, but the chances are still greater that he's only average as a 3-4 ILB.

Rivers might be the hardest individual player to slot. The first inclination I have with him is at 9, but that's if both DT's are off the board. New Orleans is a long thought ... but I'm just not inclined to see it. The next team would be Detroit, but the board would have to be seriously devoid of OL/RB/DL options. Prior to the small signings, I would've pondered Houston, but that seems unlikely now. Philly's been bandied about, but I don't see it.

A team probably surprises and nabs him earlier, but I can see a scenario where he plummets to the 20's.

Comment

I made kind of a joke mock draft where N.Y. traded down to 9 and they picked him up as a play side ILB. I think he could play that position well and help improve that defense against the run and dropback in the pass.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information