Curtis Lofton LB Oklahoma

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curtis Lofton LB Oklahoma

Watching this guy play in the big 12 and watching him against Missouri in my opinion he is the best Linebacker in this draft.

Why do most scouting sites (this one included) have him as a 2nd round linebacker?

Largely his lack of top shelf athleticism is hurting him, as most teams prefer looking for 3-down backers that high. I could still see him go late round 1, although 2 is more likely, and dropping to early 3rd wouldn't stun the world. That said, I think he'll make a fine linebacker as a 4-3 MIKE or a 3-4 ILB.

Comment

Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
      Largely his lack of top shelf athleticism is hurting him, as most teams prefer looking for 3-down backers that high. I could still see him go late round 1, although 2 is more likely, and dropping to early 3rd wouldn't stun the world. That said, I think he'll make a fine linebacker as a 4-3 MIKE or a 3-4 ILB.
      I kind of want the Rams to take him and move Witherspoon outside. So your saying he could fall to the early part of round 3? man, that would be a steal.

Comment

I think he'll go in the 2nd. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if he somehow slipped. Put it this way ... Phillip Wheeler was downgraded a bit due to a perceived weak combine, and Wheeler put up better numbers than Lofton did combine wise.

Comment

-lack of height
          -he can really only play one position well at his size, MLB/ILB
          -closing speed is good but he's not a great overall athlete
          -had a bad game against WVU that's still lingering...missed tackles, overpursuit, mispursuit, etc.

He was an impressive college player though, especially in Big 12 play for whatever reason.

I'd really like to see him cut down 10 lbs. and play WLB. That would be his best fit but only if he dropped a few and improved his athleticism.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Curtis Lofton = Jon Beason

Lofton and Beason are both about the same size (6'0 246/6'0 237) and have a similar compact build. There both tough, hard-hitting, instinctive LB's. Athletically they are nothing special (low 4.7's) but play much faster on the field and have great closing speed. Beason was more versatile but given the opportunity I think Lofton could play MLB/ILB/WLB and maybe SLB.

Lofton's production this year was off the charts and played his best in big games (15tkls vs. WVU, 9tkls 2tfl 1int vs. Mizzou in Big 12 Championship). Lofton is one of these guys everyone expects to succeed and be a tackling machine but few are willing to put him in the 1st round.

Comment

I really dont think it matters where he goes he will be a stud, especially as a mike in the 4-3, for what he lacks in athleticism he certainly makes up for it with intincts, awareness, and physicality...He's all over the field, I really think he will be an impact guy, if he goes in the 2nd I believe he's a huge steal and one of my early picks for defensive player of the year if he gets in the right scheme.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
                Watching this guy play in the big 12 and watching him against Missouri in my opinion he is the best Linebacker in this draft.

Why do most scouting sites (this one included) have him as a 2nd round linebacker?
                During the season I had him going as high as the Saints, he is going to be a steal for somebody, I think the LBs in this class are very underrated

Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
                Curtis Lofton = Jon Beason
                I think that is a perfect comparison

Comment

I think he compares to a thicker DeMeco Ryans. Not great timed speed but they both have a nose for the ball and can be considered undersized height wise.
                  Virginia Tech.
                  ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Pretty much what everyone above has said; lack of elite athleticism, pretty short, closing speed isn't great etc.

I personally like him as a 34 ILB, he reminds me of a david harris coming out of college. Both weren't super athletes, but have goot instincts, can shed blockers well and just are good football players.

If the pats go CB or say gholston in the first round, i would think that lofton would be a very good fit for them in the 2nd round. Getting gholston for them would allow vrabel to play ILB next to brushchi; both of who would be great for lofton to learn from.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
                      Pretty much what everyone above has said; lack of elite athleticism, pretty short, closing speed isn't great etc.

I personally like him as a 34 ILB, he reminds me of a david harris coming out of college. Both weren't super athletes, but have goot instincts, can shed blockers well and just are good football players.

If the pats go CB or say gholston in the first round, i would think that lofton would be a very good fit for them in the 2nd round. Getting gholston for them would allow vrabel to play ILB next to brushchi; both of who would be great for lofton to learn from.
                      David Harris actually shocked a lot of people with how athletic he proved to be. Not great, but much better than everybody expected, highlighted by a sub 4.6 at 243 lbs. Better than Lofton's numbers across the board.

Comment

I love him as a strong side ILB in the 3-4. He's got ideal height, weight, and his abilities will translate to that position. His workout numbers suggest a 2 down lber, but in the 3-4 you can mask his coverage deficiencies better.

Comment

I have him pegged as a 3-4 ILB. Im not as high on him as others are. ETK, prettymuch said it all with his weaknesses.
                          -Height
                          -Athleticism
                          -Basically what etk said.

To be honest, I would rather take J Leman over Curtis Lofton. Leman is bigger, and is about the same as far as athleticism goes. I like Leman more, and his attributes. Like I said, not realy high Lofton, although I mainly see him as a 3-4 ILB. He would probably struggle in the 4-3, wherever he played.

Comment

Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
                            I think he'll go in the 2nd. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if he somehow slipped. Put it this way ... Phillip Wheeler was downgraded a bit due to a perceived weak combine, and Wheeler put up better numbers than Lofton did combine wise.
                            You have to, of couse, take into consideration that Wheeler had higher expectations at the Combine. Wheeler was projected to run anywhere from 4.55 to 4.65, showing his great speed and athleticism, yet he didn't. Lofton wasn't billed as an athlete, he did fine for himself. Lofton's calling card was never his speed or atleticism, but rather his excellent instincts. I'd have to agree though, that Lofton will probably not go any higher than the Early-Mid 2nd Round, with a very real possibility of slipping.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                            - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                            www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Originally posted by no love View Post
                              I love him as a strong side ILB in the 3-4. He's got ideal height, weight, and his abilities will translate to that position. His workout numbers suggest a 2 down lber, but in the 3-4 you can mask his coverage deficiencies better.
                              Agreed. If Brandon Albert isn't there it's between him and Groves for me and I'm leaning him.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information