Who has seena a lot of Merling?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has seena a lot of Merling?

While trying to search for a little info on this guy I get opinions that seem more based on stats or the fact that he won't be able to workout before the draft. I'd like to hear some from people who've seen him a good deal and have an idea of what type of player he is and how good he is.

I believe Mayock's opinion of him was so high because he's supposed to be good against the run, right? I think that pass rush is most valued in DE's (and I assume the majority do as well). I know his sack #'s aren't great, but that doesn't always tell the whole story either. I guess the big question some has is his pass rush ability.

Anyone know where there are any clips of him?

a friend of mine watched alot of him and classified him as a "beast"
    mostly against the run.
    check the MSN videos thread

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

I heard he has alot more upside than Gaines Adams...but I don't know if that's true...

Comment

I heard Diet Dr Pepper tastes more like regular Dr Pepper

Comment

As a USC fan I've watched him in person every year since he has been at Clemson. I actually didn't really think of him ever as a "highly rated" college player. One year wonder in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by bam bam View Post
            that was dumb

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.

Comment

you obviously liked it enough to comment on it

sucker

Comment

sucker
                no i think that comment wasnt needed

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

sucker
                  way to go, makin' a name for yourself...

oh and Merling is probably the best All-Rounder.. he can do both, but does neither exceptionally well.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                  don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Well it did make me laugh. Merling reminds me of Jamaal Anderson from last years draft. Great size and good against the run, good athlete for his size but will struggle to get consistent pressure on the qb. Will probably be underappreciated as most run stuffers are.

Comment

I've never bought into the hype. He's a good all-around player. He's a + run-stopper and his pass-rush isn't great. Not someone I'd spend a top 20 on personally.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
                        I've never bought into the hype. He's a good all-around player. He's a + run-stopper and his pass-rush isn't great. Not someone I'd spend a top 20 on personally.
                        yeah exactly. He's less Athletic Chris Long without the exceptional motor.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                        don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

I haven't paid a lot of attention to him personally but I've watched a lot of ACC ball and he never stood out.

I compared him to Charles Johnson a couple months ago and the response was that, like Charles Johnson, he's being projected into the first round based on supposed combine numbers and that, like Johnson, he would fall into the 3rd if the numbers didn't show up.

Well lo and behold, he was nothing special at the combine and yet he's still carrying a 1st round grade

Comment

Originally posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
                            I haven't paid a lot of attention to him personally but I've watched a lot of ACC ball and he never stood out.

I compared him to Charles Johnson a couple months ago and the response was that, like Charles Johnson, he's being projected into the first round based on supposed combine numbers and that, like Johnson, he would fall into the 3rd if the numbers didn't show up.

Well lo and behold, he was nothing special at the combine and yet he's still carrying a 1st round grade
                            but he didn't work out at the combine.
                            Drink apple juice, cause OJ will kill you.

Comment

Um, he was nothing special because, well, he didn't do anything at the combine. He was hurt.

Overall, the scouting reports are fairly consistent. Judging him by his sack numbers wouldn't be that fair considering how Clemson utilized him. He's solid against the run. There's a lot of suggestions that he can move to DT, which I've made myself, but he's better as a DE that slides inside on pass rushing situations unless he puts on not only more size, but more power. That said, most believe he could probably put around 15 or so pounds and play in the 290 range without much loss of athletic ability. While he's not a polished pass rusher, he has what appears to be very good edge quickness. Whether or not he's the freakish athlete that has been rumored, well, we won't know.

His inability to work out hurts him if you believe that he was a top athlete that might've moved into the top 10. If you believe he is a marginal athlete, then to an extent, his inability to workout, while not being a positive, might be more neutral than negative, as he looks good in games. There's mixed reports on whether or not he will work out.

As of now, I'd guess that he comes off the board in that 15-20 range of the first. With a dropoff in end talent after the top 4 (or 5, if you include Groves), unless some significant problem arises (and with surgeries, that's always a possibility, or if he works out poorly), I don't imagine a significant drop is possible. In the absolute worst cas scenario assuming that there is no serious medical concern, I think he would come off the board early 2nd.
                              Last edited by toonsterwu; 03-23-2008, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information